• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No crank, 1991 NSX

No previous indications of issues...so I assume its something simple/straight-forward.
Turned key and normal lights on dash light, I hear clicks (changed the main relay anyway...no change), etc... just no crank of motor.
All lights come on strong. Tried jumping it anyway...no change. Headlights don't dim with key turned to start.
It "feels like" the clutch interlock, so I pulled the plug but could not figure how to jumper the three wires to make it look like its closed...any advice?
Any other simple interlocks/relays to try.
This car has been 100% reliable and is kept in a garage on a trickle charger.
Thanks!
Tom

It "feels like" the clutch interlock, so I pulled the plug but could not figure how to jumper the three wires to make it look like its closed...any advice?

Thanks!
Tom

Three wires - you pulled the wrong plug. The clutch has two interlock switches. A lower one with 3 wires that controls the ECU and the cruise control. That is the easy one to get to. The upper switch has two wires blk/yel and blk/grn and is harder to get to. A paper clip with some electrical tape to hold it in place should do nicely for a temporary jumper stuffed into the plug body. Check for the missing actuator button which is at the very top of the clutch pedal.

Other things can cause your problem including a failed starter, failed starter cut relay and problems with the security control unit; but, the actuator button dropping out is the common cause.

If you have access to a remote starter switch, clip one end to the jump start terminal in the engine fuse panel and the other to the blk/wht wire on the starter solenoid terminal. Press the starter switch and the starter should crank. If you do this with the ignition switch in the run position this should allow you to start the engine. If the starter does not operate, the starter is dead assuming your battery is good and the battery post connections are good (another common failure item on older cars).

THANKS!!!
Okay, it turned out to be the upper (harder to get to) clutch switch. I have jumper'd it to bypass. I'm back in business :)! Now, I actually have a replacement composite stopper BUT I could not (after about an hour of trying) get it installed. What is the secret? Maybe I will just pay for Acura to do it???

>Now, I actually have a replacement composite stopper

??

>BUT I could not (after about an hour of trying) get it installed. What is the secret? Maybe I will just pay for Acura to do it???

Pay nobody. There is a jam nut on the body of the switch, loosen the jam nut (17mm or 18mm).

Put pressure on the pedal and unscrew the switch, take careful note of the penetration of the switch so you can replace it with the correct amount of preload.

Another Prime member came up with a slick idea. Drill a tiny hole in the center of the stopper. Feed something like monofilament fishing line through the hole and knot it. "fish' the line up through the hole (not the easiest thing to do) and then pull the line to pull the stopper roughly into place. It will take a little gentle persuasion to finally seat the stopper. Not the easiest thing to do; but, easier than trying to place it with needle nose pliers or anything else like that.

Purchase some muscle relaxant - chances are you will need it for your back and neck muscles after completing the job.

I'm a little bit confused, what part was bad, the switch ifself or the plastic stopper?

I'm a little bit confused, what part was bad, the switch ifself or the plastic stopper?

Stopper...looks like a hockey puck attached to a teardrop. Its the upper one (can't even really see it from underneath).
It comes into contact with the switch when the clutch is fully depressed. I did these 3-4 times in my Nissan 300ZX TT...but this is going to be tougher!

Another Prime member came up with a slick idea. Drill a tiny hole in the center of the stopper. Feed something like monofilament fishing line through the hole and knot it. "fish' the line up through the hole (not the easiest thing to do) and then pull the line to pull the stopper roughly into place. It will take a little gentle persuasion to finally seat the stopper. Not the easiest thing to do; but, easier than trying to place it with needle nose pliers or anything else like that.

Purchase some muscle relaxant - chances are you will need it for your back and neck muscles after completing the job.
THE ABOVE IS THE BEST TECHNIQUE THAT I FOUND!
I removed both the lower (clutch/cruise control interlock switch) and the upper (problem child clutch/starter switch) to get more access...being careful to note how many threads were showing before removing (to help re-locate the switch upon re-installation). Then I drilled a small hole in the stopper (hockey puck with wedge on back) and then fed a thin piece of wire knotted at the end (so it would not pull all the way through). I put some vaseline on the puck/wedge and (this is the hardest part) fished the wire through the hole and pulled/aligned the puck in place. Then I reinstalled the upper switch and depressed the clutch pedal (which "seated" the puck/stopper in place).
I hooked up the connector and it worked as advertised!
I then reinstalled the lower switch and all is good.
Thanks Forum,
Tom

If you didn't need to purchase any Robaxacet after completing the task - I call that an outstanding success.

Hi there, I have a similar problem and with some member advice I cleaned the ignition switch but still no start. My question, is the stopper mislocated, do someone have a part number for it or pics to share. Thanks.

I removed the clutch assembly to replace the stopper, it is only 3 nuts and you can do the replacement on the work bench.

gary

I removed the clutch assembly to replace the stopper, it is only 3 nuts and you can do the replacement on the work bench.

gary
I thought about that BUT I was concerned with messing up my clutch pedal adjustments/alignment/etc...
So, three bolts and its easy...huh! Okay, next time I might try that.
Thanks

Back