• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX - Classic Car Plates

My dad received his PA Classic Car plates yesterday for his '92 NSX. While I understand that the car more than meets all criteria for these plates, psychologically I'm having trouble with the NSX being called a classic car already. It still is more technologically advanced than most cars being made today - how can it be a classic?!? I guess it is mostly just denial of my age, and that time has gone by so quickly, but when somebody says the words "classic car" to me, the NSX is not what jumps into my head. I'm sure I'll be making a similar post in 10 years when it gets the antique plates.....

Matt

While the design was ahead of it's time in 1991 I would not say the car
is more technologically advanced than most cars being made today
. I would assume you are applying this logic to sports type cars.

Still a nice car and I do enjoy driving mine.

I'd have to agree with you here. I thought a car had to be at least 30 years old to be considered a "classic". I think that's what the insurance companies go by(for whatever that's worth)...
Obviously the car was an instant classice since inception, so do be too hard on yer pops:biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

...It still is more technologically advanced than most cars being made today...

I don't know about that. Digital readouts (S2000), i-VTEC and advanced VTEC, keyless entry, push-button ignition (even the Prius has that), electronic dampening control, F1 sequential shifting, side airbags - I could go on - not to mention fluffs like night vision, parking radar and the like. A well sorted chassis and timeless looks, yes; but no where near the bells and whistles offered by today's manufacturers.

but no where near the bells and whistles offered by today's manufacturers.

And I thank the powers that be for that very fact every time I climb in and stare into her beautiful analog gauges :smile: .

Here in IL, the car has to at least 25 years old to qualify for antique plates.

PA is also 25 for antique, but 15 is the cut off for classic.

Obviously many cars have come out since the NSX with more hi-tech features, but still... what percent of new cars have variable valve timing? What percent have individual coils? What percent use titanium for pieces like connecting rods? When I hear the word classic I think drum brakes and push rods!

In Ontario Canada its 20 years old to be a classic... 2011!

Back