• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Primers - This is my profession

I got a couple responses in the thread " NSXprimers what is your profession ? " http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111740

So I figured I would start another thread if anyone is interested in what I do for a living without hijacking the original thread. I had an unusual call the other day and my local newspaper picked up on the story and put me on the front page.

Turkey in a tear takes out window
By Robert Miller
Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 10/24/2008 10:32:39 PM EDT

RIDGEFIELD CT --DANBURY NEWS-TIMES

When an irresistible force, such as a flying turkey, meets an old, immovable object, like a double-paned window, you can bet as sure as you live that something's gotta give.

So Sandy Campbell learned last week.

Campbell, of Wilton Road East, heard a crash at his house. That's the sound of a tree limb smashing through a window, he thought.

"I checked the yard to see if a tree fell down," he said.

With all trees standing tall, he made sure his furnace hadn't backfired. He then went upstairs to check on the bedrooms. In one, he found the shards of a double-paned window scattered like fallen confetti, the window screen torn, the shade askew.

And lying on the floor, on its back, was a discombobulated wild turkey trying to get is bearings.

"It was trying to get its legs underneath it," he said. "I couldn't believe it."

Campbell called Craig Lewis, of Aardvark Animal Control in Danbury. By the time he arrived, the turkey was right side up and pacing the room, looking for an exit.

Lewis first tried to net the bird, only to find his net wasn't big enough. Then he donned heavy leather gloves, cornered the bird, and quickly snatched it up.

"It's a first time for me," Lewis said.

Such collisions are rare, but not unheard of, said Howard Kilpatrick, a wildlife biologist with the state Department of Environmental Protection.

"We occasionally get a report of a turkey or a grouse breaking a window,'' Kilpatrick said, however, it's not surprising the turkey crashed the window, rather than bouncing off.

The birds can weigh between 10 to 25 pounds, he said. When they go into their warp-speed glides, they can fly as fast as 55 mph.

"It's a heavy object moving very fast," he said.

And Lewis said, they've got a very heavy layer of black feathers as armor.

"That why they tell hunters to aim at their head and neck only,'' Lewis said.

That there aren't more collisions like the one at Campbell's house is due, in large part, to the strutting nature of turkeys. They're infrequent fliers.

"They fly to their roosts at night,'' Kilpatrick said. "They fly off to escape a predator, or to get over a big object. But typically, when you see them, they're walking.''

And, Kilpatrick said, birds can have a hard time distinguishing a window from the air in front of them. But most window-bird collisions involve small songbirds, not large fowls.

At Campbell's house, Lewis just took the turkey outside and let go.

"She took off,'' Lewis said.

And Campbell? With no Thanksgiving bird in hand, what did he come away with?

"I have a mess to clean up,'' he said.

Contact Robert Miller

at [email protected]

or at (203) 731-3345
Wild turkey Wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) Adult males, or toms, weigh between 15 and 25 pounds and stand 48 inches tall. Adult females, or hens, weigh between 8 and 12 pounds and stand 36 inches tall. Toms have dark iridescent feathers and a fleshy red, white and blue head. Colors on the head grow brighter in mating season. Toms also have spurs (up to 1.5 inches in length) on their legs, and a hair-like beard (up to 12 inches long) protruding from their breast. Hens have light brown feathers and a pale blue head. They lack spurs. A few have a beard. Live in hardwood forests and open fields. Diet includes acorns and other nuts, fruit, corn, seeds and invertebrates. Young turkeys feed more on insects. Abundant in Connecticut when the first settlers arrived. Eliminated by early 1800s. Between 1975 and 1992, 356 wild turkeys were released at 18 sites throughout the state. Wild turkeys are now found in all 169 towns in state. Source: Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection

Attachments

• Wild Turkey in bedroom_001.jpg
    Wild Turkey in bedroom_001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Bird in hand_001.jpg
    Bird in hand_001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Broken window - close-up_001.jpg
    Broken window - close-up_001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Glass on chair_001.jpg
    Glass on chair_001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 74
That's pretty cool! I think the guy was lucky though. My uncle had a deer come through the sliding glass door of his house. On the way in the deer cut itself bad enough that it bled all over the room as it panicked looking for the way out.

How did you manage to get the picture? I would been running out the door trying to keep the tom from pecking my face off. But of course, I am not a professional. :biggrin:

How did you manage to get the picture? I would been running out the door trying to keep the tom from pecking my face off. But of course, I am not a professional. :biggrin:

The first picture I took just after entering the room. The bird was in a corner by one of the beds and just crouching down a bit , probably trying to hide a little as not to draw attention to itself. After I had the bird under control the homeowner took the second picture.

The biggest danger of handling a turkey are getting hit by the wings which have quite a bit of power and getting scratched by it's feet or the spurs just above the feet. Turkeys and roosters ( chickens ) have these spurs for fighting for mating rights. This is why illegal cock-fighting is held as these birds will fight quite vigorously and draw blood.

The gloves you see me wearing in the second picture have Elk hide lowers and are lined with Kevlar. Once the bird is in hand with the wings and feet under control there is not that much the bird can do to harm you with the proper protection. These bird won't try to hard to peck you as they know that it is not that effective , their beaks are made mostly for feeding and not defense.

This brings back memories of what happened about 35 years ago to my immediate neighbors. We lived in a heavily wooded area of northern NJ.

His wife was taking a shower and he was working in the basement. He heard a strange noise, but didn't think anything of it because he could still hear his wife singing in the shower. Then, a few minutes later, he hears a blood-curdling scream. He goes upstairs and finds his hallway walls smeared with blood. What you might call your basic "tense moment".

It turns out a grouse flew into the glass transom above their front door, shattered the glass, then got severely cut from the glass as it passed though the opening. It hit the wall of the hallway, then slid down the hall and hit the bathroom door. The wife, eventually responding to the thump on the bathroom door, emerged from the bathroom wrapped in a towel to see the bloody walls and this bleeding, dying bird on the floor. It was kind of like a scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

One of my customers had a turkey fly in front of their car. It smashed the windshield and caved in the windshield header pretty good.

What happened next was really wild. It went up over the roof and landed on the hood of the car behind them... a NYS Trooper.

It did no damage whatsoever to the Trooper's car but he was really angry and gave them a ticket!:frown::frown:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Great story, that's quite a job you have there and you certainly know your stuff!

We have 6 or 7 wild turkeys in the woods behind our development. We see them walking around a lot but never seen one flying... Yet.

We do have one the likes to stand in the middle of the street and play 'chicken' with the passing cars. :eek: He hasn't lost yet. Are they known for being very brave?

Again Thanks for sharing,

TripleL

We see them walking around a lot but never seen one flying... Yet.

We do have one the likes to stand in the middle of the street and play 'chicken' with the passing cars. :eek: He hasn't lost yet. Are they known for being very brave?

Again Thanks for sharing,

TripleL

They all fly up into the trees each night to roost. This gives them protection from predators. You will see them much better now that the leaves are coming down. The flock will roost together in one or a couple trees close together. Just about dawn they will all come down at the same time to spend the day on the ground.

Turkeys are not known for being brave. However , they are known for being stupid. The one you have playing ' chicken ' in the road will become a Darwin Award winner soon. Hopefully it will not go through a windshield of a passing car. We had one here about 10 years ago go through a city bus windshield . Luckily no one got hurt including the turkey.

Turkeys are not known for being brave. However, they are known for being stupid. The one you have playing ' chicken ' in the road will become a Darwin Award winner soon. Hopefully it will not go through a windshield of a passing car.
Ahhh Gotcha! We all take it easy when he/she is out there, but I will keep that in mind for sure.

We had one here about 10 years ago go through a city bus windshield . Luckily no one got hurt including the turkey.

WOW, glad no one was hurt.

Thanks again,
TripleL

Back