• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX purchase gone bad; Why?

TAG

Experienced Member
I started this thread because I would like some NSX Prime members to offer opinions on why this person never contacted me again, after I went to the trouble of securing a loan for the vehicle.

One of the message board members (nsxm3) contacted me with the following message, in response to a thread I posted in the WTB forum that expressed my desire to purchase an auto transmission NSX.

4/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxm3
I have a '91 black NSX auto. 43,000 miles and serviced by Mark Basch in AZ. I'm getting a practical car soon so I either sell or trade--whatever comes first. Let me know if it interests you.

(TAG) 4/10/2006
I'm Very interested; thanks for contacting me, as I have not been monitoring the message board lately. Please send information related to condition, price, and if possible some photos. If you could send the info. to my work email **edit**, that would be great.

I would like to set up a time to view the car if possible. My wife and I will drive to AZ, and meet you at the location of your choice. I'm sure we can work out a deal on the car.

Thomas G
702-**edit** cellular
702-**edit** home
702-**edit** work

4/12/2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxm3
Sorry for the delay. It has been a hectic week thus far. I will email you pictures this weekend. The car is in good shape with all maintenance up to date. The window regulators, rear window struts, speakers and the known things that go bad on the NSX all replaced. The AC and heat work great. I also have a Taitec exhaust, headers and RM intake. The wheels are from a 97+ NSX. I can't remember the rest. The car is low miles and I rarely drive it. I have maintained it well. I'm asking for 28,000.
John

Hello John,

Everything about the car sounds good! My wife and I look forward to seeing the pictures! I'll contact the bank today to begin preparations for the purchase. If the bank needs any additional information about the car, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Tom and Laurel

4/12/2006
Good evening John,

Laurel and I would like to make an offer of $27,000 for the car. Our financing for the vehicle has been approved. We will need to provide Bank of America your full name, address, phone number, and the vehicle's VIN number in order to complete the loan process. You can either provide us with this information or contact Bank of America and give it to them directly.

We are trying to have the money for the car made available at a B of A branch in Phoenix, so we can inspect the car and then make the transaction at that time. We decided we will be flying out as opposed to driving for the trip to Phoenix.

We look forward to seeing the pictures!

Thanks,

Tom and Laurel

No pictures were ever sent, and I never heard from John again. Is this the kind of thing I should expect from sellers who use this web site in the future? Should I have done something differently? Let me know...

Thanks,

Tom G.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be suprised... that is wha thappens when you carry on a transaction based soley on emails and PM's...

I would never buy a car like that. If I can't at least go see the car, I am going to talk to the seller on the phone and have other people go check it out for me. This will not only prove that I am serious, but prove that the SELLER is serious as well...

Some people just like to poke around to see what their stuff is worth from what I have seen, but they kill the deal quickly if you make it look like you are serious because they have no intention of selling...

Or he could have just sold the car, gotten sick and unable to reply, or had computer problems.

Hell, when I was selling my last car, my harddrive crashed and I lost all my emails from everybody that wanted the car... I had to wait a week for gateway to send me a new harddrive, install all my backups and whatnot again, and start the whole process over again...

Well, the deal just didn't go through. Maybe he sold it to someone local. Maybe someone was willing to pay for the asking price. No one really knows what happened. However, we can make a safe assumption that he found someone a little easier to deal with due to location, time or whatever that motivated him. Maybe he even got shipped to Iraq and couldn't send you a response. :smile:

I really don't see what he did wrong other than a courtesy response to you. He asked for $28k. You made him an offer of $27k which he never accepted or refused.

I think you are just very disappointed that you went through the trouble of financing and you didn't get this car. Since you now have the fund approved, you can get any car you want (within your limit). It's always a lot easier to search when you have the fund ready.

The NSX is a rare exotic, people tend to jump at them fast when they find one they like. Some are even willing to pay a little more. Don't be surprised that a seller is backing out of the deal during the negotiation process.

You should move on and keep looking. Take care...........

That's the type of thing you should expect from every sites. Perhaps he sold the car already? Or having a second thought? There are bunch of NSX for sell, you have dealt with one so far. Move on and find another car.

Thanks very much for your responses. :smile: The only thing I'm upset about is that he never even gave me a courtesy response about the car, after he was the one who contacted ME originally.

OneRedNSX said:
You shouldn't be suprised... that is wha thappens when you carry on a transaction based soley on emails and PM's...

I would never buy a car like that. If I can't at least go see the car, I am going to talk to the seller on the phone and have other people go check it out for me. This will not only prove that I am serious, but prove that the SELLER is serious as well...

Some people just like to poke around to see what their stuff is worth from what I have seen, but they kill the deal quickly if you make it look like you are serious because they have no intention of selling...

That's some sound advice, I'll follow it...:smile:

TAG said:
Thanks very much for your responses. :smile: The only thing I'm upset about is that he never even gave me a courtesy response about the car, after he was the one who contacted ME originally.
i have a worse story. a surfski is for sale. i talk directly to the seller and he wants cash so we agree to meet by a lake he brings the boat i bring the cash.
i go to the lake and wait and wait...
turns out he sold the boat about an hour earlier - someone bought it while he was taking it for a last paddle!
moral of the story - when you want to buy something buy it immediately.
don't arrange a future convenient time. get it done ASAP.

willabeest said:
i have a worse story. a surfski is for sale. i talk directly to the seller and he wants cash so we agree to meet by a lake he brings the boat i bring the cash.
i go to the lake and wait and wait...
turns out he sold the boat about an hour earlier - someone bought it while he was taking it for a last paddle!
moral of the story - when you want to buy something buy it immediately.
don't arrange a future convenient time. get it done ASAP.

Unbelievable... you made a good point though, get the deal done ASAP.

Vancehu said:
That's the type of thing you should expect from every sites. Perhaps he sold the car already? Or having a second thought? There are bunch of NSX for sell, you have dealt with one so far. Move on and find another car.

Actually I beg to differ; finding one with an automatic transmission can be difficult.

Have you driven both an auto and a stick shift NSX? Autos are harder to sell, unless someone either commutes or doesn't want to deal with shifting. Not sure what happened in this case with the sale. If you're hot to buy, set up an inspection/meeting to show how serious you are, rather than making an offer over the internet.
I suggest you try a stick shift NSX, unless you are stuck on an auto.
Good luck in your search,
John :biggrin:

ANYTIME said:
Have you driven both an auto and a stick shift NSX? Autos are harder to sell, unless someone either commutes or doesn't want to deal with shifting. Not sure what happened in this case with the sale. If you're hot to buy, set up an inspection/meeting to show how serious you are, rather than making an offer over the internet.
I suggest you try a stick shift NSX, unless you are stuck on an auto.
Good luck in your search,
John :biggrin:

Hi John, thanks for posting. Actually I have a 1998 Integra Type R track beast (new 2.0L 12.5:1 being built right now), and two daily driver Honda/Acuras. The reason I need an auto is so my wife can drive it, since it will take the place of one of the daily drivers. :smile: I will suggest an "inspection/meeting" next time, before moving forward with any deal. Thanks for the tip!

Sounds to me like the guy lacks common courtesy. No every deal is like that though, but I do know where you are coming from. A few years ago there was a Prime member in California selling his Sebring Silver NSX (which was the color I wanted) and we talked over the phone and email. I told him I had the money ready, we agreed upon a price, and I even told him I would be flying out that weekend to drive it home. Price and terms for the car were agreed upon and he gave me a verbal, 'Sold...the cars is yours,' contract. Thursday came and I tried calling him to make flight arrangements for that weekend...no answer. Finally Friday came and I called to find out what was going on and he said he had someone else call on the car and wanted to give this new person a chance to make a higher offer!! I was stunned and asked what part of , 'Sold...the cars is yours,' was not understood? I was upset and said, 'Okay...fine. But please keep me in the loop and allow me at least to make a counter offer for it if this other guy offers more than me,' to which he agreed that he would as it was the right thing to since stiffing me on our previously agreed to deal. The guy was coming to see it that Sunday and the seller had agreed to call me that day since he knew I was waiting and had taken vacation days to get the car. No call. No response to calls on Monday. No response Tuesday. Finally on Wednesday the guy calls and said he sold it to the guy on Sunday. WTF!?!?!? I was so upset I could not see straight. I asked why he screwed me over TWICE without even giving me a chance like he said?? He had no repsonse except a toally unsincere sounding, 'Well....sorry....,'. I could have killed someone that day. :mad:

Ouch! Thanks for sharing your story Mitch. That was certainly worse than my scenario. As you said earlier not all deals go like that, but it does seem like phrases such as "my word is my bond" were left behind in the previous millennium. I guess it's not a "done deal" until you are driving home in the car.

There are a lot of tire-kicker types that will respond to online ads with interest and big talk and then disappear or realize they have no idea what they are buying or no money to pay for it.

I had a hell of a time selling the A-Spec wheels from my Acura TL. They were sold to probably the 10th person that had 'committed' to buying the wheels via the internet.

Ok, just to vent and make you feel a little better... I have everyone that has chimed in completely beat when it comes to NSX sales gone bad. A few years ago. very similar to a story above, I went through all the motions but IN PERSON to test drive, and make an offer on a white '92 in pristine condition with very low miles in south CA. Shook hands on the deal and even asked if he wanted a deposit...I was ready to give him a cash deposit that day. "No, none needed.. you have the car". All this transpired in his driveway!

I had a buyer lined up and only needed just a few days to sell my very cherished Dakar Yellow 95 BMW M3 (with just 32k on the odo)... My ONLY car. I sold my car two days later and the seller started stalling. I had check in hand. Then 3 days of very convincing excuses... and I am in a RENTAL CAR!!! Finally he says he just doesn't want to sell the car! I tried reasoning about the price, etc... no dice. Probably best he told me over the phone... I'd likely have been carted away otherwise. So there I am in a GRAND AM RENTAL, having sold my M3, and no car to buy.... I don't think I ever yelled so loud into a phone or have been that upset at an individual before or after that day. "You just don't mess with a man's automobile."

I got into the next NSX I could find... a white '94.. And years later moved on to a beautiful Red '95. But who needs that kind of runaround! You could live a long life with out ever going through that kind of thing! Sorry you had to deal with what you did... but maybe you feel better by comparison.

Same basic story happen to me when I was looking. I had already bought the car on Ebay and told the guy selling it I was going to give him the money when I pick up the car. He said he was okay with that so we arranged to meet. The morning I was getting ready to leave, I received a phone call from the seller saying he changed his mind and didn’t want to sell it. It all worked out in the end though, I found a better deal on a newer NSX.

Well, it also sucks to be the seller. When I was selling mine, you wouldn't believe how many "Tell the other guys its sold. I'll be paying cash tonite". And these people will never call back...so in other words, I've lost a few potential customers because these tire kickers told me that they will buy it for sure tonight, therefore I had to tell the potential buyers that the car is technically already sold.:mad:

Yes I know you can certainly have your share of aggravation as the seller; I'm sure we have all experienced that. I just have never run into that kind of flakey behavior from someone trying to sell me something.

About 15 years ago I was looking to buy a Ferrari Testarossa and found a 1988 down in so cal and had it looked at and we agreed on the price I flew my buddy down there to pay him and drive it back for me he took the cashiers check with him for the agreed upon price Mo called me from the guys house and said the car was for real and nice but the seller wasn't and he now wanted 5K more for it so he put him on the phone and I told him to fuck off then he didn't want to give Mo a ride to the airport and Mo had to threaten to kick his ass just to get a ride to catch a flight I'm probably lucky that I wasn't there in person as I'm sure I would have gone to jail for assault
Doug

frisbee54 said:
About 15 years ago I was looking to buy a Ferrari Testarossa and found a 1988 down in so cal and had it looked at and we agreed on the price I flew my buddy down there to pay him and drive it back for me he took the cashiers check with him for the agreed upon price Mo called me from the guys house and said the car was for real and nice but the seller wasn't and he now wanted 5K more for it so he put him on the phone and I told him to fuck off then he didn't want to give Mo a ride to the airport and Mo had to threaten to kick his ass just to get a ride to catch a flight I'm probably lucky that I wasn't there in person as I'm sure I would have gone to jail for assault
Doug

Maybe you should take the money you saved when you didn't buy the F-car and buy a keyboard with a working PERIOD key. Also, use some to overnight me some tylenol, as reading that gave me a headache.:biggrin:

WestPalmBeachNSX said:
...I got into the next NSX I could find... a white '94.. And years later moved on to a beautiful Red '95...

What did you do with the '94 NSX? Seeing as how there were only 19 of the GPW '94 NSX's made, do you happen to remember the last part of the VIN#? I only ask because I have one and its history is not entirely clear, and I am wondering if it could be your old car. Just a stab in the dark. :)

frisbee54 said:
Doug

WOW!! What was his logic in raising his price once you already flew someone there?? :eek: :confused:

Guys, that just goes to show that there's a lot of personality disorders out there, passive-aggressives, borderlines, schizoids...tread carefully and wearily,...:frown:

Back