• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx Replacement Designers Are Stuck

Interesting thought:

What if Honda/Acura focused their efforts on creating some new, interesting vehicles in the normal market, before worrying about a halo car? I mean seriously, when the NSX came out, Honda & Acura had all the momentum in the world. Prelude. Integra. Accord (cool then). CRX. Legend.

I honestly think any kind of halo car, whether we (as 1% of the population) like it or not, will fail miserably since the rest of the Honda lineup is so boring. Why bother? I think a halo car strategy only works when the real cars are remotely interesting to the enthusiasts that even know about that halo car.
Yup, the current Honda lineup is simply boring and unattractive. Back in 1991, I actually LOVED every single Honda and Acura. The CRX si, Civic, Integra, Legend, Accord, and I recommended them to all my friends that asked my opinion. In fact, my family has owned most Hondas models. Today, I cannot find one single Honda that I would buy. I prefer Toyota's counterparts over every Honda. How old is the S2000 now? 9 years old!!! It was a magnificent car and I still think it is a great car. But as a consumer, I would not spend $40k to buy the current S2000. The CR is a joke. With its rice rocket add-ons, it is again another desperate move to sell a car that is way passed its prime much like the 2002+ NSX. I have been a long time Honda fan and I surely want it to perpetuate Soichiro's glory and legacy. I don't think the current Honda men are doing a great job.
Steve

Yup, the current Honda lineup is simply boring and unattractive. Back in 1991, I actually LOVED every single Honda and Acura. The CRX si, Civic, Integra, Legend, Accord, and I recommended them to all my friends that asked my opinion. In fact, my family has owned most Hondas models. Today, I cannot find one single Honda that I would buy. I prefer Toyota's counterparts over every Honda. How old is the S2000 now? 9 years old!!! It was a magnificent car and I still think it is a great car. But as a consumer, I would not spend $40k to buy the current S2000. The CR is a joke. With its rice rocket add-ons, it is again another desperate move to sell a car that is way passed its prime much like the 2002+ NSX. I have been a long time Honda fan and I surely want it to perpetuate Soichiro's glory and legacy. I don't think the current Honda men are doing a great job.
Steve

LOL You've gotta be kidding me saying that Toyota has a more exciting line than Honda! I've yet to see any comparison in any magazine where testers said the Toyota whatever was more fun or exciting than the Honda it was being compared against. Let's not forget Toyota has been w/o a sports car for much longer than Honda and the LF-A still isn't on the market yet. Also the LF-A isn't a mid engine , but of course no one bemoans that.

Also the CR is about as "ricey" as the NSX-R ,but oh I guess the NSX-R was past it's prime since it's a 2002+:rolleyes:

Current Hondas may have bland looks ,but Honda has never not been conservative in it's car design. Please tell me that you've actually driven the current batch of Hondas and Toyotas and that's why your making such a statement.

You HP heads don't realize that the current crop of high hp cars are going the way of the dodo. The Cafe regulations that are being signed into law will change the HP race as getting better fuel economy is the new priority.

LOL

You HP heads don't realize that the current crop of high hp cars are going the way of the dodo..

I think a lot of us aren't "HP heads" .....I don't need or enjoy 500hp for driving on the street.

But Honda stuck with 200hp range in S2000 and 300hp range in NSX for so long that they both became a joke compared to the industry average for NEW cars... and that's what sunk the HSC (290hp) LOL

Honda has stalled way to long on "no HP for you!" (in my best Soup Nazi voice).

Never wanted or needed more than 400 hp in next NSX, or 300 hp in S2000....Honda couldn't even do that

You HP heads don't realize that the current crop of high hp cars are going the way of the dodo. The Cafe regulations that are being signed into law will change the HP race as getting better fuel economy is the new priority.

Sure we do - this is the golden age of HP and Honda is a no-show. And the promised Honda 5.5L V10 will arrive (if it ever does see the light of day) when Ferrari and Corvette will be making much smaller high-performance engines. It seems that Honda doesn't realize that a big V10 in 2010 or 2011 is a stupid idea.

Sure we do - this is the golden age of HP and Honda is a no-show. And the promised Honda 5.5L V10 will arrive (if it ever does see the light of day) when Ferrari and Corvette will be making much smaller high-performance engines. It seems that Honda doesn't realize that a big V10 in 2010 or 2011 is a stupid idea.

Technically a 5.5L v10 is not that big...a 7.0L LSX motor..now thats big.(and that is still a pushrod)

I think a lot of us aren't "HP heads" .....I don't need or enjoy 500hp for driving on the street.

But Honda stuck with 200hp range in S2000 and 300hp range in NSX for so long that they both became a joke compared to the industry average for NEW cars... and that's what sunk the HSC (290hp) LOL

Honda has stalled way to long on "no HP for you!" (in my best Soup Nazi voice).

Never wanted or needed more than 400 hp in next NSX, or 300 hp in S2000....Honda couldn't even do that

The hp in and on the S2K has been keeping up fine with it's 300 hp competition. The 350Zs and Mustangs with 300 hp have never embarrassed S2K. If you check R&T last comparison between the CR and Nismo 350Z you'll notice that their 0-60 times are even even though the 350Z has more than this 300hp you think the S2K needs.

The NSX was keeping up just fine with 400 hp cars as well. Did it out power them no! Honda has never produced an out power car. This was never Sochiros dream or a company mandate.

I honestly don't where you got the 290hp spec for the HSC as it was always quoted as 300+ with insiders saying the hp would be greater than 350 hp.

Again you always talk about being a Honda fan ,but how can that be true as they've never made enough HP for you.

You only show up to bash stuff and love to jump on the band wagon of anyone else who is.

The designers maybe stuck ,but they haven't said "f*ck it"

Some of you people act like the NSX was a cutting edge design ,but when it debuted it known to be "exciting" for a Japanese car" and had plenty of mags saying the styling was derivative so why are you acting now like it has to be so cutting edge?

Sigh. Their big V10 is fine because they will be able to absorb it's cafe numbers with the diesel , hybrids , hydrogen and regular gas engines they have which already have great fuel economy. The other manufacturers have to cut back because the majority of their vehicles are gas guzzlers and they have to make cuts to pretty much the whole of their fleet. Again Honda has leeway here and can actually afford a V10 in the future whereas they cannot.

Remember Honda is working to make sure their V10 exceeds the NSX in fuel economy. My NSX has great fuel economy if they can exceed that with a larger engine with more power I'll give it a shot.

Technically a 5.5L v10 is not that big...a 7.0L LSX motor..now thats big.(and that is still a pushrod)

That's today's engine. Chevy has already said that the C7 engine will be in the 4.0-4.7l range. Ferrari has said that they are developing a 3.0l V8 that reduces C02 and fuel comsumption by 40+%. My point was that in the age of large, high HP engine, Honda didn't show up to the party. And when the age of the high-efficiency high-performance engine starts in the next 2 years, Honda will show up with a relatively big, inefficient engine.

That's today's engine. Chevy has already said that the C7 engine will be in the 4.0-4.7l range. Ferrari has said that they are developing a 3.0l V8 that reduces C02 and fuel comsumption by 40+%. My point was that in the age of large, high HP engine, Honda didn't show up to the party. And when the age of the high-efficiency high-performance engine starts in the next 2 years, Honda will show up with a relatively big, inefficient engine.

You seriously think Honda who's known for engine efficiency will release a non efficient V10?

Well, that is what happens when you are playing catch up.:frown:
If Honda had done the right thing, the good old 3 li V6 could have seen continued refinement over the past decade and it would be more efficient and more potent. Porsche did just that with theirs while Honda allowed their magnificient engine to die. That is my main beef with T. Fukui. He did not have the vision or guts to hang with a good thing and allowed his advisors to kill off the most promising car to ever come out of Japan.:mad:

LOL You've gotta be kidding me saying that Toyota has a more exciting line than Honda! I've yet to see any comparison in any magazine where testers said the Toyota whatever was more fun or exciting than the Honda it was being compared against. Let's not forget Toyota has been w/o a sports car for much longer than Honda and the LF-A still isn't on the market yet. Also the LF-A isn't a mid engine , but of course no one bemoans that.

Also the CR is about as "ricey" as the NSX-R ,but oh I guess the NSX-R was past it's prime since it's a 2002+:rolleyes:

Current Hondas may have bland looks ,but Honda has never not been conservative in it's car design. Please tell me that you've actually driven the current batch of Hondas and Toyotas and that's why your making such a statement.

Yes, I prefer the Camry over the Accord, the Highlander over the Pilot, the Sienna, Lexus sedans over the RL, and so on. I would call Toyota boring 20 years ago compared with Honda. But currently, I think the Toyota products are better so I prefer them over the current Honda line. It is a personal preference. That's all. I don't need to drive every Honda and Toyota to come to the conclusion just like you don't need to drive all the Porsche and Ferraris to come to the conclusion to decide on the NSX. It is about what tickles your fancy. Honda might appeal you but certainly it is not appealing me with its current lineup. It is a personal choice.
Steve

You seriously think Honda who's known for engine efficiency will release a non efficient V10?

Honda vehicles with higher-HP engines are no more efficient than their competitors. I have an 05 RL - trip computer reads 16.7 mpg average for my wife, 17.0 for me. That's nothing to write home about for a 290 HP engine. The RDX doesn't get great mileage. The base Corvette gets about the same mileage as the 05 NSX, both cars weight almost exactly the same, but the Vette has 100+ more HP.

I doubt that Honda (or anyone) can make a V10 that is significantly more efficient than what Lambo, Audi and BWM are getting. Honda's 5.5l V10 will be an EPA rater gas-guzzler - no way around it. Honda has already admitted as much.

I wonder if Honda's V-10 that they're developing will be a turbo diesel? Kind of like what Audi has been showing in their supercar.

It's something to think about considering the timing of when this car is supposed to see the light of day. Also, Honda's current statements regarding the 4cyl turbo diesels coming out next year as well as V-6 diesels coming out in the next few years. I think the CAFE standards will hit everyone hard. Honda is usually pretty ahead of the game on this stuff.

Last edited:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22826327/

The world's fastest street-legal car
Boutique automaker unveils a 1,183-horsepower road rocket.

Even Shelby can build cars, and he's like 1000 years old. :smile:

Actually, the owner of that company is Jerod Shelby, no relation to Carroll Shelby. I didn't know that either, but the article that you linked to mentioned that.

I wonder if Honda's V-10 that their developing will be a turbo diesel? Kind of like what Audi has been showing in their supercar.

It's something to think about considering the timing of when this car is supposed to see the light of day. Also, Honda's current statements regarding the 4cyl turbo diesels coming out next year as well as V-6 diesels coming out in the next few years. I think the CAFE standards will hit everyone hard. Honda is usually pretty ahead of the game on this stuff.

what are the advantages, or should I say, Pro's and Con's of diesel?

what are the advantages, or should I say, Pro's and Con's of diesel?

I'm not sure. I just know that I've heard alot about them recently. More so than hybrids.

Actually, the owner of that company is Jerod Shelby, no relation to Carroll Shelby. I didn't know that either, but the article that you linked to mentioned that.

lol..who knew...I didn't have time to read it..just to scan the specs. Frustrating that everyone in the world can build a super car...

Sorry Blade, looks like a Corvette to me.

MY INPUT: Those who've heard me, I'm for the PROCAR NSX design. I wouldn't mind the HSC with a tad of the mods seen photoshopped here.

That Ferrari concept kinda looks like the HSC a bit.

The Funny part is....who is Honda listening too?

FOCUS GROUP PEOPLE: Why not get some Honda people in here and do a Live Chat or something? With the right feedback, they can get a car that will calm that prancing horse. V10! Nice.

Back