• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX sitting for 6 years...okay to drive?

'Imagine that everything that moves in that car could possibly need to be replaced from sitting for so long.'

Why this would be true after 6 years but not after 0.5-2 years (more-common lengths of time NSXs are stored without concern)? What happens between 2 and 6 years that is such a big deal? What is the failure mode that is anticipated for these parts (and is such realistic)...or is this just fear, uncertainty, and doubt?

Last edited:
Why this would be true after 6 years but not after 0.5-2 years (more-common lengths of time NSXs are stored without concern)? What happens between 2 and 6 years that is such a big deal? What is the failure mode that is anticipated for these parts (and is such realistic)...or is this just fear, uncertainty, and doubt?

I am not sure....but would lean towards a healthy amount of the 'fear, uncertainty, and doubt'. :)

Update for those looking into cars that have been sitting for long periods of time. Unless they are climate controlled garages, lots of stuff can happen. The car I was looking at evidently was left outside under a cover for 6 years. Entire interior is molded and mildewed, and the headliners are deformed from moisture (as in sagging so low it blocks the rear window), and a myriad of other problems are present. I almost cried when I saw it. :frown:

Wow, sorry to hear that Mitch. It's the little things that add up in these baby's too... Dang.. :frown:

Wasn't your car only sitting for 5 years, not 15? Your thread said it had a bunch of service work done in 2006 by the previous owner. Plus, I think your car was stored properly with fuel stabilizer and such, and in a climate controlled garage. This one was literally parked, covered, and left without any attention or eye towards preservation, which is why we are probably looking to go on the side of caution. I wish it has been stored properly. :(

The owner did store mine correctly. i have put about 1400 miles on it now, and it runs like a champion. T-belt, water pump is going on monday, just to be safe

So, did you pass on it or?

At this point I have. Seriously, even if I got the car for free, it would still be easy to get upside down on it. The inspection I had done on the car after having it towed over to a recommended shop revealed that, according to the techs, 'It would be EASY to spend $10,000 - $12,000 on getting this car mechanically ready to go, BEFORE even touching the cosmetics. When they saw the car they asked me if it was pulled from the bottom of a lake. It really looked that bad. :frown:

It really was sad to see such a wonderful car reduced to this. I had my heart set on breathing new life into the car, but there is just way too much to tackle. I mean, I would not have taken 3 days off work, and drove over 1,600 miles if I was not serious about trying to save it. When in the air there was proof of a MASSIVE oil leak that had the entire underside from the engine back covered in thick amounts of oil. In a twist of irony, the car was was actually covered in wax. Evidently the owner had hired someone 6 years ago to wax the car, and they NEVER removed the wax. They just threw a cover over the car and let it sit. I have never seen anything like it. The car actually sank into the ground and the belly of the car was rubbbing on the ground when we dragged it out of the yard. There were spiders, LIZARDS, and other creatures that scattered out of the car when I removed the cover and opened the door. It was very disheartening. There was so much more wrong that I do not have the time or the energy to type it all out.

Last edited:
Your description is absolutely gross. I guess the "has been sitting in a garage" in your original post turned out to not be true. Sorry for the disappointment. Your description of this car and those about climate controlled garages reminded me how lucky us arid-climate folks are (don't even have to roll the top of the cereal bag when putting back in the cupboard - will be eaten/gone before it has a chance to go stale).

what was the price you could have had the car for? I didn't see it in the thread?

Able to let someone know where this vehicle is located?

Car is not openly for sale, sorry. This was through a friend where either I bought it or the owner is keeping it.

You were wise to pass on this restoration project. Even though I hate to see any NSX simply die of neglect, it's not like its a Bugatti Royal or a Ferrari GTO that is wasting away in some barn. With the NSX, it's just too easy to find better candidates that one can refresh without losing one's shirt in the process.

I just found this old thread, and it certainly answered some questions about long-term storage. But what a sad story. And I can't help wondering if the car went back to the original owner to sit in the dirt and disintegrate.

Haha way to revive an old thread. Thankfully no spiders or lizards in here!

What a crazy story. I still would like to know how long it would take for the upper engine components to be completely dry of fuel? I know some people leave their NSX's for 6 or so months and they drive right fine right after. I guess you just have to worry about soft spots and sometimes the fuel quality.

hey mitch if this car is local id love to help. Menard's has truck rentals rather inexpensive if the car needs to hauled to a dealership. note, the particles normally suspended in motor oil has probably settled on the bottom of the pan. I would prefer to drain the 6 year old oil prior to initial startup. then drive it around and right before another oil change, use some motor flush/marvel mystery oil in the crankcase to help loosen up stubborn particles. Ive been doing this with my tempermental bmw for a few cycles now. So far my 'guarenteed to fail just a matter of when', vanos system has been holding up excellent(knock on desk).

Its funny, I knocked on my desk for you haha.

I just found this old thread, and it certainly answered some questions about long-term storage. But what a sad story. And I can't help wondering if the car went back to the original owner to sit in the dirt and disintegrate.

It went back and sat in his yard for another long stretch of time, then he moved it to sit in the back lot and woods of his son's yard until they finally told him that he needed to get the car out of there. So it went away to a local resident who has been working on it for the better part of a couple of years. It is running and able to be driven, but a LOOOOONG way from where you would feel comfortable driving it regularly or at high speeds. The good thing is that at least someone is caring for it.

Back