• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to Z06, A Long Comparison

Liquid - thanks; that was a great write up and I enjoyed reading it. I have nothing to compare really as I have never driven a modern vette - ridden in some old one - they were fast and clunky.

Of course I've read many comparos to the 911 Turbo and other cars and it always fairs well as in the best bang for the buck - but then there is always more to an experience than money. If I was a track junkie, and wish I could find the time, I may agree with the prowess of the Vette. I can surely testify to the great sitting position and veiw out of the NSX, which I love and have never seen or driven any better!

I can surely see that a newer car would and does make a difference in any comparo - our NSXs are now at least 5 years old - and while it is true that it didn't keep up with modern technology - and it should have done better than it did, it is still a relavent comparison to many cars built today - big for the NSX.

I would love to drive a Vette - the Z06 - one day. The previous owner of mine bought a Vette. I saw a really beautiful one this weekend - it was white with a grey soft top - very nice combo - still it looks chunky to me and not slippery. It's just too American for me and I say that without ever driving one - although I'm sure I'd like it for a while at least. I think if I had the cash I, like my buddy Rbilder, would have a garrage full of cars and I might buy a Vette - but I'd probably opt for the 911 Turbo! The new one is about 2 times as much though and that gets you back to that bang for a buck thing.

Still great write up and thanks for taking the time to do it. We all love cars and just love reading about all impressions - even if most of us will still keep the NSX.

.....They actually don't make that many Z06's anymore now that the Grandsports and ZR1's are out. Apparently only about 500 for the 2010 model year. I'm not sure if that will prove ultimately to be a good or bad thing, but I think it reflects the fact that the Z06 is not a bullseye for the typical Corvette owner. They originally bought it because it had the most HP, but now many are moving on to Grandsports/ZR1's.

Regarding build quality, do you have a coupe or a targa? I feel that many of the (admittedly extremely minor) issues I had with the NSX were a result of the targa top. Loose and sloppy? Although that is the conventional wisdom about Vette build quality, it just hasn't been my experience at all.....

I would have waited for the 2010 Z06 to come down in price and FI the NSX in the meantime.

The Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC) is behind my rationing.

I'm going to rent a Z06 and crash NSXPO this year. :biggrin:

Funny, I was thinking about doing that with.....

photo40.jpg

Last edited:
Couple things about the Z06 I didn't much like, and C6's in general:

- shifter is the worst among sports cars
- vague on center steering and handling
- rough suspension on the Z06

How is the shifter worse? Notching? loose?

Best center steering I've ever experienced was on the FD. It made the NSX feel loose and muted.

Liquid, I would have to disagree about the interior evaluation also. Other than that you made great points that cannot really be argued, but they were pretty obvious.

This is a review from more purely a performance/function standpoint and if that whats all cars were about, then everyone would own a STi, EVO, SRT-4, or Cobalt some other recent, inexpensive turbo vehicle because they can go fast and be made to be faster, have great interior "space" and have "cool gauges". Even a Nissan Altima coupe has cooler gauges but the interior is still poo.

So in your argument, if overall performance is superior, it's a greater car? So the STi, EVO, and any recent car with better horsepower to weight ratio is indeed superior to NSX? Yes, in the realm of technology and performance, but that is not what cars are solely about. Had that been the case, then why are their still people that could buy these cars instead buy the NSX? You exaggerated the winning victory, but in reality all you said was that the Corvette performs better? Go figure, no one saw that coming. In reality your review was on "what makes a car vastly superior in my eyes."

Again, I think if you are looking for pure performance/function, just pick any recent sports car and the deciding factor would be personal style and price if that's all you care about. Pretty soon you could probably pick up a used C6 Z06 for the price of a new Cobalt, so it's a win, win victory lol. I mean, it's an amazement that there are still many comparisons with modern technology vs. a 20 year old designed car in essence. The reality is that the NSX is still holding it own.

Could you see a C4 or C5 vette being compared with a sports car of today? It would not stand a chance. The truest and fariest evaluation would be a C4 or C5 vs NSX. The C4 was getting put up with and beat by the 300ZXTT all day, nuff said. The C5 still fell behind the NSX in every category especially when you introduced the NA2 which is fair because they were both from a similar time.

I also agree on the fact that it's a shame that Honda has fallen off, but I still think as an overall production, they make cars better than Chevrolet as far as build quality and design direction, especially in the interior department. Honda may be neutered like Toyota now, but they both still carry a better demeanor and build better overall cars across the line.

Your stance for the Z06 is appreciated, but I think most people here appreciate it for what it is. There is no need to bash the Z06, but there is no need to get sensitive and offended when its flaws are pointed out. It is a monster perfomer for very reasonable dollars, but it sacrifices pretty much all of the other non performance fields to acheive this price, of which you overlooked or flew by in your review.

...... Now if you are comparing your 2002+ nsx that could be the problem. I have a 1994 with no power steering and that is the best way to feel the car at the track......Here is my problem. For the price of a C6Z06 you could get a used 911 turbo instead that is water cooled. The car is allwheel drive and the engine sits over the wheels too. A don't see too many Z06 cars passing the Carrera turbos at my track. In fact those cars are some of the toughest to beat. A stock Z06 car is fast but not that fast. I would also say wait another 4 years before we see how many creaks and rattles the C6 vette has. Right now they are too new to decide on that.......

All NSXs with power steering and targa tops that I've driven feels like garbage. that's 5 of them. From stock to modded.

You do realize that intake, full exhaust and a good tune on the Z06 adds almost 50HP. Cams and/or FI just becomes silly.

The Z06 chassis felt more like the NSX than the standard C6. Rigid.

It's made from the same material that the NSX is made from plus Magnesium.

X06CH_CR052_a.jpg

Last edited:
As long as the tires are normally inflated, the size of the contact patch has nothing to do with the size of the tires, and depends only on the weight of the car and the pressure in the tires. For example, if you have a car weighing 3024 pounds and the tires are inflated to 36 pounds per square inch, the size of the four contact patches will total 84 square inches. That number applies regardless of whether the tires are 335-treadwidth steamrollers or 195-treadwidth skinnies. The shape of the contact patch is different - wider tires have a wider contact patch side-to-side, narrower front-to-rear - but the size is the same.

I did not know this but it makes sense when the car is at rest. From what I've been able to read on the internet (insert rolleyes here), while your comment is technically true in terms of the size of the contact patch, the jist of my statement regarding handling/cornering ability being positively impacted by the wider tires still holds true. Also from what I've read, the lower sidewall will also improve handling/cornering ability further.

What stood out to me were your affinity for the LS7 and bigger brakes. This makes me wonder how you would have felt if you bought your 2003 NSX back but with upgraded brakes and with a Supercharger installed.

Actually, what has surprised me most about this car is not the performance. That was expected. It is that the knocks against it have mostly turned out to be based on old and/or inaccurate information and conventional wisdom. If I throw $15-20k into a SC and BBK, then they are no longer equivalent financially, and I have to consider what $10-15k in mods on the Vette would do in order to make the comparison equal again. I'm sure that is heading down a road that the NSX will lose. I would even go so far as to take a stock Z06 over a SC/BBK NSX. It will still have the performance edge on the NSX and be better in all of the other aspects as explained in the original post above.

However, I respectfully disagree on the interior evaluation. Having driven both cars, I still think the interior in the NSX is better simply from an ergonomics aspect.

Couple things about the Z06 I didn't much like, and C6's in general:

- shifter is the worst among sports cars
- vague on center steering and handling
- rough suspension on the Z06

But the engine, oh the engine...magnificent. Really, for someone just looking for an awesome sports car w/o any brand allegiances there's nothing equal to the C6 Z06 and especially so when price is a consideration.

Fair enough... I can't really think of anything that is ergonomically that much different in the cars. The only thing I wish for is a cancel button for the cruise control, but the NSX didn't have that either. I do like how the DIC tells me what speed I've set the cruise to.

I have read that the shifter is notchy into second on the pre-08 years. I've also read the same about the NSX as well. I haven't had any issues with my '08, which has a different manufacturer.

The suspension is at worst as rough as the NSX.

The Z06 is a bargain to some degree and you can mod the Hell out of them to get lots of power and stopping. Most Vettes just need a set of coilovers that are well adjusted to do well at a road track.

Here is my problem. For the price of a C6Z06 you could get a used 911 turbo instead that is water cooled. The car is allwheel drive and the engine sits over the wheels too. A don't see too many Z06 cars passing the Carrera turbos at my track. In fact those cars are some of the toughest to beat. A stock Z06 car is fast but not that fast. I would also say wait another 4 years before we see how many creaks and rattles the C6 vette has. Right now they are too new to decide on that.

Anway, I am getting away from my point. Which is I agree with you to most of your points and a lot of NSX owners would be amazed if they drove a new corvette or any new car for that matter. The NSX is a bit dated and that is why I have modified mine to hold more power and stop better. That being said there just sooo many Corvettes out there and the average joe doesn't know which ones are Z06 and base C6 vettes.

You don't need to mod it for power and stopping. They are world class when they leave the factory. Regarding the 911 turbo, if you do the research you'll see that they don't perform to the same level. I have never owned one so I can't comment in detail about the other aspects, but from a pure performance standpoint, they are heavier and less powerful. The only thing they have that would be a significant advantage at the track is AWD.

For accuracy's sake, the engine isn't over the wheels, as the Z06's is. It hangs out over the ass end. Don't lift going around that corner. :)

I couldn't care less about whether the average Joe can recognize my car as a Z06 or a base.

I agree with you on the Z06 depreciation comment. A year ago I was walking around at a car gathering and came across a '06 Z06 with 40k miles. Mint condition, clear bra in the front. Asking price was $38k. Too bad it wasn't yellow, or else I would have called the owner and start from there.

I think vettes and vipers are front mid-engine cars like BMW, FD, and a few others. According to Enzo, it was what he preferred over the rear mid.

Uh oh, BATMANs is here... thread over. You can get lower mileage for $38k if you're patient. Vette's are indeed front-mid engined.

Liquid, I would have to disagree about the interior evaluation also. Other than that you made great points that cannot really be argued, but they were pretty obvious.

This is a review from more purely a performance/function standpoint and if that whats all cars were about, then everyone would own a STi, EVO, SRT-4, or Cobalt some other recent, inexpensive turbo vehicle because they can go fast and be made to be faster, have great interior "space" and have "cool gauges". Even a Nissan Altima coupe has cooler gauges but the interior is still poo.

So in your argument, if overall performance is superior, it's a greater car? So the STi, EVO, and any recent car with better horsepower to weight ratio is indeed superior to NSX? Yes, in the realm of technology and performance, but that is not what cars are solely about. Had that been the case, then why are their still people that could buy these cars instead buy the NSX? You exaggerated the winning victory, but in reality all you said was that the Corvette performs better? Go figure, no one saw that coming. In reality your review was on "what makes a car vastly superior in my eyes."

Again, I think if you are looking for pure performance/function, just pick any recent sports car and the deciding factor would be personal style and price if that's all you care about. Pretty soon you could probably pick up a used C6 Z06 for the price of a new Cobalt, so it's a win, win victory lol. I mean, it's an amazement that there are still many comparisons with modern technology vs. a 20 year old designed car in essence. The reality is that the NSX is still holding it own.

Could you see a C4 or C5 vette being compared with a sports car of today? It would not stand a chance. The truest and fariest evaluation would be a C4 or C5 vs NSX. The C4 was getting put up with and beat by the 300ZXTT all day, nuff said. The C5 still fell behind the NSX in every category especially when you introduced the NA2 which is fair because they were both from a similar time.

Your stance for the Z06 is appreciated, but I think most people here appreciate it for what it is. There is no need to bash the Z06, but there is no need to get sensitive and offended when its flaws are pointed out. It is a monster perfomer for very reasonable dollars, but it sacrifices pretty much all of the other non performance fields to acheive this price, of which you overlooked or flew by in your review.

My argument is if you take a really fresh, clear look at the car, much like NSX owners of 20 years ago did when comparing it against the Ferraris of that day, overall it is superior. A lot of that for me boils down to the driving experience. That is my main criteria. I don't care about marque, getting all the attention at cars and coffee, or any of that ego stuff.

The NSX is 20 years old and has held up as well as could be expected, but the reality is it is NOT holding its own against the modern sports cars of today. Comparing a C4 or C5 against the NSX is not the right comparison. As I stated in my original post, my critieria are pretty simple: (1) were they designed to do the same thing and (2) do they cost about the same? Why should I, as a free market consumer, pay extra for the same thing (or pay the same and get less) just because a company chose not to continue to upgrade their technology? That baffles me.

I'm certainly not getting sensitive about the comparison. I don't know where you would have picked up that impression. And the point of my review is that when you actually look at the Z06 closely, you'll find that it doesn't sacrifice nearly as much as the NSX to acheive much greater performance.

might not be the best comparison but in those Best motoring races the nsx-r can keep up with the lambos and porsches while cornering but it lacks hp to keep up in the straights, i still like to think the nsx just needs a FI setup to bring it up to date.

might not be the best comparison but in those Best motoring races the nsx-r can keep up with the lambos and porsches while cornering but it lacks hp to keep up in the straights, i still like to think the nsx just needs a FI setup to bring it up to date.

Best Motoring also compared the different NSXs ( I think they had something like 5 of them) and tossed in the Bathurst FD in there and the FD was out in front.

I guess they were praying that the FD was going to blow up to win.

FD with a LS7 would be scary....

here is an example, how could this little thing keep up with skylines on the track :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0HZDWnE1E

the FD pulled away towards the end.

here's a nice video of a FD beating the NSX and GTR.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtrNVgeecrQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtrNVgeecrQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dude, I don't think I've seen one thread that you've posted in on Prime that doesn't either include reference to an FD or GTO.

Seriously?

I completely agree. I love comparing cars but the simple fact is the nsx wont change. Its done with. There will always be a new vette or porsche so eventually people will be comparing a 2020 vette with 800 hp to the nsx and sharing their views. Its obvious that sports cars will only improve. For me its not about the power in the ownership of the nsx, its the looks and respect and pride from driving it. Price wise if a almost brand new vette or porsche or viper is the same cost as an 03 nsx that tells you something about the superior build quality of this car imo. I will agree the vette probably out performs the nsx in most fields but guarentee a f/i zendari would give the 500ish hp vette a good run for its money.

On another note how much better bandleing wise is the z06 than the c6. In one of the super car sundays with good old sfdreamer and the gang i invited a c6 owner along and he said he couldnt hang in the turns and the nsx ppls were crazy as f*#k in the canyon. Being behind him i was riding his ass so to speak while i saw his car in tripod mode on some of the turns. So anyone able to tell me a difference?

Last edited:
the FD pulled away towards the end.

here's a nice video of a FD beating the NSX and GTR.

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtrNVgeecrQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="385"></object>

The FD was on R-comps and the NSX was on street tires. In fact it was on RE070 tires which are oem tires for the new GTR. I'd like to think that result would have been much different had the nsx been on R-comps.

Having owned two or more of both....I loved the Vette but they are everywhere. The NSX has become very rare. People compliment me all the time about how exotic it looks. I am sticking with my NSX...for now anyways!

Agree completely. I think that is the one reason above all others why NSX owners will stay NSX owners. The cache of belonging to a small group of "exotics". I prefer the superior driving experience to the ego fluffing myself, but to each his own.

I think the "superior driving experience in a Z06 vs ego fluffing" NSXers comment is what I would call elitist sucker punch. No need to talk down to the owners of what you would call a completely inferior, overpriced underachiever. You did a nice job with the comparisons, lets not get to full of ourselves with the ridiculous analogy.
When you finish it off with " but each to his own" It's like Simon Cowell saying " I don't mean to be rude but".

He's being rude.

Hope we're still friends! :wink:

Jack

I toyed with buying the Vette many times, and could never do it. It drives great, but I couldn't find a good driving position. I was never comfortable. And the nose on that thing looking out the front versus the NSX; it's like comparing Pinocchio to Sandra Oh. Then the rest of the interior - I just can't get over it. It is the best bang for your buck out there performance-wise. I admit that. However, it would STILL be the best bang for your buck if they sunk another $5k in the interior. As far as the interior functionality, I don't care. The look and feel of the interior are miles above any Corvette that's been produced to date. We're talking 1991 versus 2011. 20 years and they still haven't gotten the hint. Then again, maybe they just don't care.

I love the look of the Vette; I do. Love the wheels on the Z06, as well as the stance of the car. Performance numbers speak for themselves. They're great. But the interior just ruins it for me. I shake my head every time I see a picture of it.

Dude, I don't think I've seen one thread that you've posted in on Prime that doesn't either include reference to an FD or GTO.

Seriously?

But we don't see myriads of reports about NSX motors with 30,000 miles on them blowing up. Again, it's all about the whole package. Front to back, top to bottom. Not everything about the NSX is perfect, but for what you can buy one for it's closer than any other car gets in my opinion. I've had a decent enough variety of sports cars to share a qualified opinion on that.

I'd like to have a Z06 for a track car. But then again, I would then be one of twenty that shows up every weekend. :cool: For the record - I have no desire what so ever to own a Z06 for a street car. The track - different story.

If Danny Popp ever sells his C5 Z06 I'm in line (behind 300 other people). :)

Danny Popp driving his ST1 Corvette VIR - best time 1:54.165
152c0ed.jpg

I love the way this car sounds.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xeIMBD6BCRQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xeIMBD6BCRQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fgMPMZjp4mE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fgMPMZjp4mE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I'd like to have a Z06 for a track car. But then again, I would then be one of twenty that shows up every weekend. :cool:

If Danny Popp ever sells his C5 Z06 I'm in line (behind 300 other people). :)

Danny Popp driving his ST1 Corvette VIR - best time 1:54.165
152c0ed.jpg

Now THAT I could handle! Strip that interior down to a seat and a rollbar and you'll never know the difference.

I toyed with buying the Vette many times, and could never do it. It drives great, but I couldn't find a good driving position. I was never comfortable. And the nose on that thing looking out the front versus the NSX; it's like comparing Pinocchio to Sandra Oh. Then the rest of the interior - I just can't get over it. It is the best bang for your buck out there performance-wise. I admit that. However, it would STILL be the best bang for your buck if they sunk another $5k in the interior. As far as the interior functionality, I don't care. The look and feel of the interior are miles above any Corvette that's been produced to date. We're talking 1991 versus 2011. 20 years and they still haven't gotten the hint. Then again, maybe they just don't care.

I love the look of the Vette; I do. Love the wheels on the Z06, as well as the stance of the car. Performance numbers speak for themselves. They're great. But the interior just ruins it for me. I shake my head every time I see a picture of it.

You hit the nail right on with the interiors. Other than a few electronic gizmos, my C6s interior looks cheap. You really nailed it going all the way back to '91.

Our fluffy NSXs at least have some decent seats for us to be seen in! :wink:

Jack

I read your review, but i still dont like Corvettes.

You talk about "looks" and "head turning" as if its this shallow thing people want...nothing can be further from the truth. Infact, wanting more lateral acceleration G's is pretty shallow. The heart and soul of a recreational car is that it looks, sounds, feels amazing, interior and exterior. These elements can win over performance and price easily, for a true car lover. I feel like you take a somewhat robotic take on cars, you dont seem to appreciate good interior design, and dont hold any value in rarity or looks. We buy sports cars with our hearts, not our heads. If we used our heads, we would not be buying a sports car because they serve absolutely no purpose but to give us enjoyment. Enjoyment is rooted directly in "looks"/ design. How about the interior of your house? Its "just looks", no reason to hire and interior decorator. How about the Caribbean..."its just looks" isnt an approach you would take. The "Looks" play a integral part in making your holiday a good one.

The Aston Martin Vantage roaster is a perfect example, a car that has been exquisitely designed from the exterior beauty to interior which is unmatched in design and materials. The Z06 is totally void of the 'WOW' factor, the allure, the exotica, the thing that makes me a car enthusiast. Its ok if we all have different opinions about what we want in cars, so your not wrong per say.

I mean just look at how you rate interior. It sounds like your reviewing a Toyota. Heated seats? Cupholders? Seriously? THAT makes a better sports car interior, and not RACING seats?

To avoid flamming, ill say that i defiantly respect the Corvette because they offer world class performance for low price. They have also been extremely successful in international racing.

Last edited:
Back