• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to Z06, A Long Comparison

I toyed with buying the Vette many times, and could never do it. It drives great, but I couldn't find a good driving position. I was never comfortable. And the nose on that thing looking out the front versus the NSX; it's like comparing Pinocchio to Sandra Oh. Then the rest of the interior - I just can't get over it. It is the best bang for your buck out there performance-wise. I admit that. However, it would STILL be the best bang for your buck if they sunk another $5k in the interior. As far as the interior functionality, I don't care. The look and feel of the interior are miles above any Corvette that's been produced to date. We're talking 1991 versus 2011. 20 years and they still haven't gotten the hint. Then again, maybe they just don't care.

I love the look of the Vette; I do. Love the wheels on the Z06, as well as the stance of the car. Performance numbers speak for themselves. They're great. But the interior just ruins it for me. I shake my head every time I see a picture of it.

+1

Considered the Z06 before I decide to add SC to my NSX. NSX just "feel" right, especially for my stature.

To avoid flamming, ill say that i defiantly respect the Corvette because they offer world class performance for low price. They have also been extremely successful in international racing.

You know I'm not a Vette fan boy, but having to run against them on the track I can say.... they offer world class performance for any price. A well driven Z06 can stay with just about ANY production car on the track.

You talk about "looks" and "head turning" as if its this shallow thing people want...nothing can be further from the truth. Infact, wanting more lateral acceleration G's is pretty shallow. The heart and soul of a recreational car is that it looks, sounds, feels amazing, interior and exterior. These elements can win over performance and price easily, for a true car lover. I feel like you take a somewhat robotic take on cars, you dont seem to appreciate good interior design, and dont hold any value in rarity or looks. We buy sports cars with our hearts, not our heads. If we used our heads, we would not be buying a sports car because they serve absolutely no purpose but to give us enjoyment. Enjoyment is rooted directly in "looks"/ design.

I mean just look at how you rate interior. It sounds like your reviewing a Toyota. Heated seats? Cupholders? Seriously? THAT makes a better sports car interior, and not RACING seats?

I think a huge part of design is functionality, not looks. If we were arguing this point 20 years ago, I feel I would be arguing on the part of the NSX and you the Ferrari.

My comments are that in addition to great gagues and modern technological amenities like integrated nav, yes, I believe it is important for a car to have decent storage and functional cupholders. Why wouldn't I want those things if I can have them? One other thing I forgot to comment on in my original post that is also a plus in interior design is the armrest is wide enough for more than one person to use at once. This was not the case with the NSX armrest. Related to heated seats, I myself raised a question about that in my comments because I can't imagine driving this car when it was cold enough out to want heated seats on.

On the point of seats, I said that the Z06 seats were pillowy. However, it was unexpected that they held me in about as tight as the NSX seats around the track (neither are great, honestly). I don't quite understand it myself but that is my experience. They are certainly not as aesthetically pleasing, but they are comfortable and they do the job in a way that is much better than their appearance would indicate. Regardless, I plan to get real racing seats in short order.

Not to put words in your mouth but it appears I put a premium on function, you value form. That's what makes the world go around. But I also see no reason why I should have to compromise basic things like cupholders and armrests if I don't have to.

I once read a review of the new Vette and they said that the seats felt like they were stuffed with dead squirrels. :biggrin:

Hahaha, that's hilarious. I'll have to remember that one. The one thing that I find slightly uncomfortable is this extra pillowy feeling between the shoulder blades. Every once in a while I start to notice it and it gets on my nerves.

I think a huge part of design is functionality, not looks. If we were arguing this point 20 years ago, I feel I would be arguing on the part of the NSX and you the Ferrari.

Yes, true. But at that point the argument would be a 1991 NSX versus a 1991 Ferrari. That's not the case here.

My comments are that in addition to great gagues and modern technological amenities like integrated nav, yes, I believe it is important for a car to have decent storage and functional cupholders. Why wouldn't I want those things if I can have them? One other thing I forgot to comment on in my original post that is also a plus in interior design is the armrest is wide enough for more than one person to use at once. This was not the case with the NSX armrest. Related to heated seats, I myself raised a question about that in my comments because I can't imagine driving this car when it was cold enough out to want heated seats on.

On the point of seats, I said that the Z06 seats were pillowy. However, it was unexpected that they held me in about as tight as the NSX seats around the track (neither are great, honestly). I don't quite understand it myself but that is my experience. They are certainly not as aesthetically pleasing, but they are comfortable and they do the job in a way that is much better than their appearance would indicate. Regardless, I plan to get real racing seats in short order.

Not to put words in your mouth but it appears I put a premium on function, you value form. That's what makes the world go around. But I also see no reason why I should have to compromise basic things like cupholders and armrests if I don't have to.

A cupholder could be manufactured by a 5-year old. A quality cupholder and a quality seat are in two different leagues. I would rather not have to compromise quality. Period. If you want a cupholder, buy one at Autozone for a few bucks and slide it between the window and the seal. If I want a drink, I'll buy a bottle of Gatorade and lay it on the seat. Take a drink, and put it back on the seat. No spillage. A seat is a much larger expense. I know what you said about the seat, but I felt like I was sliding back and forth in it. I hated that. And I like it when I lean my arm on the left door (and plastic trim which every car has) and it doesn't squeak.

Hahaha, that's hilarious. I'll have to remember that one. The one thing that I find slightly uncomfortable is this extra pillowy feeling between the shoulder blades. Every once in a while I start to notice it and it gets on my nerves.

I like your humility. This shows that at most it's a difference of preference, and that's it. This will always be the case, as everyone's preference will be different.

There you go again about the interior. You're starting to sound like a lot of Vette owners now with ridiculous nit picking of anything not Corvette.

I was introduced with such a nasty right elbow pain from that piece of plastic covered with absolutely nothing but a thin layer of Gabardine (vinyl). Yanking that sucker out and replacing it with an after market part with some padding allowed me to get rid of the pillow I was using to save what was left, of the functionality of my arm. Resting two arms on it was never a problem because we both avoided it as much as our memories would allow. It was one of the very first things I had to address if I was going to drive any further than the grocery store at the bottom of the street. So that's a total reach on your part, and a much needed counterpoint on mine. Stick with the strength of performance of the Z06, but the center armrest "com on mann".

Jack

If the Z06 seat held you as well as the NSX seat, then you can't drive. Every single car mag goes on and on about how awful the seats are ------ its like a running joke ------ it always pops up in the articles and it always knocks the z06 (and zr1 too) down in the rating. The fact you even defend it shows your bias and makes your comparison pointless....because you're really trying to make a dig at the NSX in a backhanded sort of way.

Second for Batmans a tune and an exhaust on a Z06 will not get you 50wrhp. If that was true there would be time slips with that setup trapping at 130+ and there are none --- and they don't match a ZR1 which they should if making that power. Its the called the magic dyno.

A normal cammed, header, exhaust, intake and tuned Z06 can just keep up with a stock ZR1. Change that normal cam to a wild cam and then the Z06 beats a stock ZR1. This has been discussed many times on the LS1 and Corvette boards and the ZR1 boys always have to put the Z06 boys in their place.

Exhaust and tune ~20hp
Normal Cam, intake, plus above ~50-60hp
Wild Cam, plus above ~70-80hp

The above numbers match the trap speeds these cars run modded.

Snakey also stated he beat a cammed Z06 with his mildly modded Viper ---- just another example.

I once read a review of the new Vette and they said that the seats felt like they were stuffed with dead squirrels. :biggrin:

I always thought there might be a problem with those seats! :confused:

I feel alot of gyrations down there when ever some critter tempts suicide in passing, and that's just from me. Now I hear on an NSX forum their supposed be dead!

OH SHI-----------------------------------

Jack

My argument is if you take a really fresh, clear look at the car, much like NSX owners of 20 years ago did when comparing it against the Ferraris of that day, overall it is superior. A lot of that for me boils down to the driving experience. That is my main criteria. I don't care about marque, getting all the attention at cars and coffee, or any of that ego stuff.

The NSX is 20 years old and has held up as well as could be expected, but the reality is it is NOT holding its own against the modern sports cars of today. Comparing a C4 or C5 against the NSX is not the right comparison. As I stated in my original post, my critieria are pretty simple: (1) were they designed to do the same thing and (2) do they cost about the same? Why should I, as a free market consumer, pay extra for the same thing (or pay the same and get less) just because a company chose not to continue to upgrade their technology? That baffles me.

I'm certainly not getting sensitive about the comparison. I don't know where you would have picked up that impression. And the point of my review is that when you actually look at the Z06 closely, you'll find that it doesn't sacrifice nearly as much as the NSX to acheive much greater performance.

How are the C4s or C5s not relevant? They are from the same era as the NSX and let's compare the NSX to any car regardless of price of that era and the same for the C4 or C5. You made the review solely based on performance per dollar and everyone knows if you want a budget supercar, then you buy a Corvette and more notably the Z06. I agree with with you on that point, in the sense that Z06 can outperforms the NSX and largely ~90% of the other cars on the market. But this still does NOT equal Z06>NSX.

You are making a review about the performance of the Z06 and trying to justify that it's good enough to overcome it's shawdy interior and exterior design. Pretty much everyone knows the benchmark performance of a Z06, it's no mystery. So all you suceeded in saying in your review was that I prefer performance over intelligence. I say this in the sense of design. You can make any car fast, pretty easily, but how easy is it to make any car beautiful and striking? Once the form and interior of the car is done and made, it's very hard and expensive to upgrade it. Do not get me wrong, the C6 looks good, but its not on the same level of beauty where people start categorizing exotic.

Chevy still has not gotten the interior quite right either and I doubt they will anytime soon. It needs more than some leather inserts, different colors and such for the interior to reach sophisticated status. The NSX had one of the most sophisticated interior of its time and it has only began to show its age to the likes of the Modern day R8, LFA, Porsches, and Ferraris. This is due to the gauges and electronics mostly aka the inferior lcd/lighting technology. Drop a 7 in touchscreen DVD/Nav custom fitted to the dash and the interior is vastly upgraded to modern day standards. I still have not seen good enough aftermarket gauges out there yet but its possible to upgrade that too. I mean it's only a matter of time before there are full LCD upgrades that can be custom designed since the LFA was the first to cast the stone. So better gauges, center unit and steering wheel possibly. This is what is lacking in the NSX's interior design.This cannot be said for the C6 or any Vette interior. You would need to completely renovate the form of the interior to compete with even the NSX and especially current modern cars! A turbocharged NSX with minor interior and suspension mods is an exotic performer that ranks high in all fields.

In your book,the pure perfomance factor may be worth it, so that's why you bought a Vette. Cool, enjoy the car man. A lot of people prefer performance and dollar over design. They like to think a faster car makes it solely superior to another car. So, tell yourself whatever it takes to help you sleep at night. I say that jokingly lol, but seriously on an "overall" standpoint the Z06 is definitely not superior than the NSX. In my eyes perfomance is only 1/3 of the equation, for you it appears to be like 3/4 or more. Who's to say which is fairer? I'd say 3/4 is definately weighted and unbiased. A real balanced review would find the NSX to be still superior overall and so better luck next time with the C7 Vette :tongue:

Lol, I just read about cupholders and armrest. LMAO, that's the best you can argue? The NSX interior functions quite well actually. There is no compromise, except maybe if you are freakishly tall or fat. Functionally speaking, cupholders = more mess. I have found the NSX interior very easy to keep clean and I love that aspect of the car. Anyways, 85% of the cars on the road have one passenger, the driver. Look at traffic and you will see. I daily drive(varies from 3-6 days a week) the NSX since I've owned it and I have not had any single issues whether it's 5 hours or 5 minutes.

If you take your car through the drivethru all the time and drink and eat in your car, I guess this is partially why Corvettes do not hold their value! I can only imagine the mess from all of the extra storage cabins and cupholders. That's function? Lol, don't be silly. The BMW has nice, sleek cupholders, but I've also seen them fail already, so these extra cupholders and cubby holes are just introducing more failures and messes. Think about even just the dust that develops over time, let alone random paperwork and trash. The NSX prevents this and thus, it's a beautiful spartan interior. That itself serves as a function to keep your car clean, neat and in order.

Last edited:
Lol, I just read about cupholders and armrest. LMAO, that's the best you can argue? The NSX interior functions quite well actually. There is no compromise, except maybe if you are freakishly tall or fat. Functionally speaking, cupholders = more mess. I have found the NSX interior very easy to keep clean and I love that aspect of the car. Anyways, 85% of the cars on the road have one passenger, the driver. Look at traffic and you will see. I daily drive(varies from 3-6 days a week) the NSX since I've owned it and I have not had any single issues whether it's 5 hours or 5 minutes.

If you take your car through the drivethru all the time and drink and eat in your car, I guess this is partially why Corvettes do not hold their value! I can only imagine the mess from all of the extra storage cabins and cupholders. That's function? Lol, don't be silly. The BMW has nice, sleek cupholders, but I've also seen them fail already, so these extra cupholders and cubby holes are just introducing more failures and messes. Think about even just the dust that develops over time, let alone random paperwork and trash. The NSX prevents this and thus, it's a beautiful spartan interior. That itself serves as a function to keep your car clean, neat and in order.

The NSX interiors simple form, which works so well, hasn't changed hardly at all during it's entire run. It was designed so well that they didn't have to change it. I can even rest my left arm up on the drivers window sill, a little feature a C6 dosen't have.

Liquid, have you ever been able to get rid of that damn B-29 wind noise that comes from the defroster and windshield wiper panel? If so let me know!

Your Vette buddy :smile:

I noticed in your comparison is using a fixed roof vette vs. a targa roof, power steering NSX. The best NSX for driving is the NA1 Coupe/NA2 coupe(minus PS). You do admit that in your comparison but to track a targa NSX is miles away from a NA1 coupe. I didn't buy Targa mostly due to the flexing of the room and body. The thing I love about tracking my NSX is it is rigid and you can feel dime if you drove over it with the manual steering.

I think at the root of your decision making you like the Vette more personally and you can see that in your writing. That is normal as a car enthusiast but understand that. Anyone who tracks an NSX after time will always go with coupe and a non-power steering setup. The power steering is nice for the city but not at the track.

Last edited:
Excellent post! Yes a Z06 is a total win over the NSX but we all secretly know the STI is the best car ever.

T20024a.jpg

There you go again about the interior. You're starting to sound like a lot of Vette owners now with ridiculous nit picking of anything not Corvette.

I was introduced with such a nasty right elbow pain from that piece of plastic covered with absolutely nothing but a thin layer of Gabardine (vinyl). Yanking that sucker out and replacing it with an after market part with some padding allowed me to get rid of the pillow I was using to save what was left, of the functionality of my arm. Resting two arms on it was never a problem because we both avoided it as much as our memories would allow. It was one of the very first things I had to address if I was going to drive any further than the grocery store at the bottom of the street. So that's a total reach on your part, and a much needed counterpoint on mine. Stick with the strength of performance of the Z06, but the center armrest "com on mann".

Jack

I added aftermarket armrests to mine too. They were so uncomfortable. The upgraded interior package fixes that, but really that should be standard in every car.

Other than that, the interior was very nice. Good quality.

Man, some of you guys sure are taking one person's perception of the C6 Z06 over the NSX a little personally. ;)

I thought the evaluation was pretty fair and reasonable. Cars, especially, sports cars, have come a loooonnnnng way in 20 years.

I'm not exactly clear on what you're saying as I can't get through the excessive hyperbole to understand what is the issue you're talking about with your Corvette's center armrest. Some of my comments about the interior may be influenced by the fact that I have the highest interior package available. It is a full leather wrap, although I agree with Turbo2Go when he calls it elephant hide. It isn't the highest quality Nappa leather, that's for sure. But the width of the center armrest is a plus. One downside is the side of the center tunnel gets quite warm where you put your leg on the track.

Let's keep the discussion based on facts and leave the broken arm dramatics aside.

If the Z06 seat held you as well as the NSX seat, then you can't drive. Every single car mag goes on and on about how awful the seats are ------ its like a running joke ------ it always pops up in the articles and it always knocks the z06 (and zr1 too) down in the rating. The fact you even defend it shows your bias and makes your comparison pointless....because you're really trying to make a dig at the NSX in a backhanded sort of way.

Shrug, I am just telling you the facts. I flatly stated that I can't quite understand why it is, but that is my actual experience. Do you have track experience in both cars or are you a magazine racer extraordinarre?

How are the C4s or C5s not relevant? They are from the same era as the NSX and let's compare the NSX to any car regardless of price of that era and the same for the C4 or C5. You made the review solely based on performance per dollar and everyone knows if you want a budget supercar, then you buy a Corvette and more notably the Z06. I agree with with you on that point, in the sense that Z06 can outperforms the NSX and largely ~90% of the other cars on the market. But this still does NOT equal Z06>NSX.

Chevy still has not gotten the interior quite right either and I doubt they will anytime soon. It needs more than some leather inserts, different colors and such for the interior to reach sophisticated status. The NSX had one of the most sophisticated interior of its time and it has only began to show its age to the likes of the Modern day R8, LFA, Porsches, and Ferraris. This is due to the gauges and electronics mostly aka the inferior lcd/lighting technology. Drop a 7 in touchscreen DVD/Nav custom fitted to the dash and the interior is vastly upgraded to modern day standards. I still have not seen good enough aftermarket gauges out there yet but its possible to upgrade that too. I mean it's only a matter of time before there are full LCD upgrades that can be custom designed since the LFA was the first to cast the stone. So better gauges, center unit and steering wheel possibly. This is what is lacking in the NSX's interior design.This cannot be said for the C6 or any Vette interior. You would need to completely renovate the form of the interior to compete with even the NSX and especially current modern cars! A turbocharged NSX with minor interior and suspension mods is an exotic performer that ranks high in all fields.

In your book,the pure perfomance factor may be worth it, so that's why you bought a Vette. Cool, enjoy the car man. A lot of people prefer performance and dollar over design. They like to think a faster car makes it solely superior to another car. So, tell yourself whatever it takes to help you sleep at night. I say that jokingly lol, but seriously on an "overall" standpoint the Z06 is definitely not superior than the NSX. In my eyes perfomance is only 1/3 of the equation, for you it appears to be like 3/4 or more. Who's to say which is fairer? I'd say 3/4 is definately weighted and unbiased. A real balanced review would find the NSX to be still superior overall and so better luck next time with the C7 Vette :tongue:

The C4 and C5 are not relevant because it is 2010, not 1995. I think my review highlights that if you were to take a true, fresh look and not bring a lot of bias into the equation, you'll find that the Corvette has evolved to the point where the interior is more functional (and therefore better designed in my view). The seats and quality of the leather is not as good as the NSX, but I think they are outweighed by the modern amenities and overall superior functionality of the interior.

Based on my criteria, it actually isn't even close in terms of which is the superior car overall. You honestly think a totally unbiased review would find the NSX superior to the Z06? I can't see it, and I've owned and driven both cars so I know I'm in a very good spot to compare.

Actually there's a lot of other arguments if you care not to gloss over them. You're also making a lot of assumptions about me that show you're unable to have a rational debate about the facts. Using your logic, then a stripped out race shell would be the perfect interior because that way you wouldn't be able to store any messes and it would be so easy to keep clean! And no cupholders to make messes with!!

Give me a break.

Why are we getting upset when a former NSX owner stating his opinion? The C6 Z06 is a superior sports car over the NSX, SC or Turbo. Any objective measurement will reveal the NSX is not really relevant anymore. Get over it. Give the Z06 the respect is deserves. I have a feeling once some naysayer owned another sports car of higher level, they will eventually realize that NSX was a world beater, 20 yrs. ago. We all own the NSX for different reasons and our decision may not please everyone, so what! Enjoy the Z06. Some of us may join you one day. :wink:

Exhaust and tune ~20hp
Normal Cam, intake, plus above ~50-60hp
Wild Cam, plus above ~70-80hp

The above numbers match the trap speeds these cars run modded.

Snakey also stated he beat a cammed Z06 with his mildly modded Viper ---- just another example.

I have long tubes, intake, street cam and tune and put down 530rwhp. That is ~60rwhp over stock. ZR1's put down around ~550rwhp and weigh ~200 lbs more. High 10's and low 130's traps is what my Z06 is capable of; I would love to run snakey and his 'mildly' modded Viper with my 'mildy' modded Z06 ;)

for all you interior haters on the Z06, a few material improvements net you this:

z06.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not exactly clear on what you're saying as I can't get through the excessive hyperbole to understand what is the issue you're talking about with your Corvette's center armrest. Some of my comments about the interior may be influenced by the fact that I have the highest interior package available. It is a full leather wrap, although I agree with Turbo2Go when he calls it elephant hide. It isn't the highest quality Nappa leather, that's for sure. But the width of the center armrest is a plus. One downside is the side of the center tunnel gets quite warm where you put your leg on the track.

Let's keep the discussion based on facts and leave the broken arm dramatics aside.

I think you are getting way to serious. Having only your own facts relevant is a little discourteous. On one hand you're scratching to make sense of what you’re saying, I agree with a lot of it, and then you follow that up with an arrogant little statement. (Which does bother me)? Snide remarks that quite frankly, aren't necessary. You can't have it all your own way all of the time. Can't you just make your point and leave it at that.

Nobody has insulted you; they just have their opinions too, including myself.
If we want to throw a little humor into the fray to lighten things up, it's not for you (or anybody else for that matter); to dictate what is appropriate or worthy. It's not that hard to sift through.

As long as I don't insult you integrity which I haven't, I don't know why you’re so defensive.

Can't we just get along Vette brother.:smile: I'm trying, but you might want to have a little more tact towards the owners of cars that you deem, not as good as your own!

Peace :smile:
Jack

I have long tubes, intake, street cam and tune and put down 530rwhp. That is ~60rwhp over stock. ZR1's put down around ~550rwhp and weigh ~200 lbs more. High 10's and low 130's traps is what my Z06 is capable of; I would love to run snakey and his 'mildly' modded Viper with my 'mildy' modded Z06 ;)

A ZR1 true dyno numbers are 530 not 550. Second I stated that an exhaust and a tune with not get you ~50hp and your post above proved me right. Second a stock Z06 is 440ish not 470. Low 130-132 in a Z06 with its weight would need around 580-600hp at the engine. So post your time slips and your dyno charts. I go to the track and see/hear people quote dyno this and dyno that and then run traps speed that don't match up.

Its quite possible your dyno is reading high by about 30wrhp with inaccurate SAE corrections.

No one is hating on the Z06. This is a NSX board. The Z06 performance numbers may be better but it is not a better car to most of us --- and I'm not going to stop saying so. The NSX is all about refinement ..... the Z06, ZR1, Viper, etc is not period.

I think you are getting way to serious. Having only your own facts relevant is a little discourteous. On one hand you're scratching to make sense of what you’re saying, I agree with a lot of it, and then you follow that up with an arrogant little statement. (Which does bother me)? Snide remarks that quite frankly, aren't necessary. You can't have it all your own way all of the time. Can't you just make your point and leave it at that.

Nobody has insulted you; they just have their opinions too, including myself.
If we want to throw a little humor into the fray to lighten things up, it's not for you (or anybody else for that matter); to dictate what is appropriate or worthy. It's not that hard to sift through.

As long as I don't insult you integrity which I haven't, I don't know why you’re so defensive.

Can't we just get along Vette brother.:smile: I'm trying, but you might want to have a little more tact towards the owners of cars that you deem, not as good as your own!

Peace :smile:
Jack

I honestly have no idea what you're going on about. I welcome well considered opinions, talking about "saving what was left of your arm's functionality" because of an uncomfortable armrest is ridiculous hyperbole. If you think pointing that out makes it a snide remark, I'm sorry, it is just a fact. I'm not at all offended (and I have no idea where you're coming up with that) but let's be clear about what adds to and what doesn't add to the discussion.

No one is hating on the Z06. This is a NSX board. The Z06 performance numbers may be better but it is not a better car to most of us --- and I'm not going to stop saying so. The NSX is all about refinement ..... the Z06, ZR1, Viper, etc is not period.

Agree with what you're saying and I think that's great. What I'm attemping to do is dispell a lot of myths and inaccuracies commonly held about Z06's.

I recently got to ride as a passenger in a Z06. I was very impressed by it. I was not driving but the brakes felt very strong and the acceleration was second to none.

For me, at this point in my life, it's really not about the speed. Sure I like a fast car and the NSX is no slouch in that department. I don't want to go a thousand miles an hour everywhere I go. I think in the Z06 the temptation would be too great to do just that. I like the NSX because they are rare. My car is a 2001 and that year they made 160-170 NSX's. I bet Chevy made that many Z06's today. That's worth a lot to me.

Back