• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX v C6

I thought we were bashing the Corvette here? ..where did it all go wrong?

A guy that I used to work with ( The best automotive tech/fabricators I have ever worked with) worked at a shop that only did vettes for years and he had words of wisdom here they are "Don't ever ever buy a corvette" and "GM does not stand for Good Monkey"...I have found these statements to be good and true.

I have no use for 500hp on the street and no matter what it costs or how fast it goes it will allways be "just a Corvette"

And yes I have driven a new one and It went real fast and did not feel like a go-cart like my NSX does.

there are some nifty conversions aval for vettes tho :wink:

Attachments

• 0301VET_Red04.jpg
    0301VET_Red04.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
The new Z06 is a monster!!!

Motor Trend
0-60: 3.5
1/4 mile: 11.5@ 127 mph
Lateral acceleration: 1.05 g

Car and Driver
0-30: 1.6
0-60: 3.6
0-100: 7.9
0-150: 17.5
1/4 mile: 11.7 @ 125 mph
Top Speed: 198 mph (mfg claim)
Lateral acceleration: 0.98g

That's pretty darn quick for only $65k!

Watch out :eek:

Re: The new Z06 is a monster!!!

CerberusM5 said:
That's pretty darn quick for only $65k!

I can make car a car that will go faster and still have money left over for a good used NSX.
:biggrin:

Re: The new Z06 is a monster!!!

pbassjo said:
I can make car a car that will go faster and still have money left over for a good used NSX.
:biggrin:

Sounds pretty interesting. :smile:

What would you build for under $40k strictly for performance?

I sold my 95 NSX about a year ago. Since then I've had a M5, C5 and now I currently have a C6 Vert. They are completly different cars! The C6 has lotsa power and nothing sounds better than a V8 under the hood. The C6 has all the bells and whistles, NAV, HUD, HIDs etc... Not to mention I can also remove the top with a press of a button. :)
As far as the NSX goes, it is built a lot better, no squeaks. The NSX makes you feel like you are connected to the road.

NSXes are rare, I see maybe 1-2 a month. Vettes, I see 2-3 C6s a week.
I think they both handle very well. Compared to my 95 the C6 out brakes the NSX.
I personally think the C6 is very fun to drive, but maybe that's cause it's a vert! Either way good choices. To each his own.
I'm sure I'll own another NSX in the future.

skyline4.jpg

skyline3.jpg

Runutzzzzz said:
I sold my 95 NSX about a year ago. Since then I've had a M5, C5 and now I currently have a C6 Vert. They are completly different cars! The C6 has lotsa power and nothing sounds better than a V8 under the hood. The C6 has all the bells and whistles, NAV, HUD, HIDs etc... Not to mention I can also remove the top with a press of a button. :)
As far as the NSX goes, it is built a lot better, no squeaks. The NSX makes you feel like you are connected to the road.

NSXes are rare, I see maybe 1-2 a month. Vettes, I see 2-3 C6s a week.
I think they both handle very well. Compared to my 95 the C6 out brakes the NSX.
I personally think the C6 is very fun to drive, but maybe that's cause it's a vert! Either way good choices. To each his own.
I'm sure I'll own another NSX in the future.

skyline4.jpg

skyline3.jpg

Great color combo. Congrat's.

Great Looking C6. I personally would not get a vert because you cannot track them! :biggrin:

The Z51 seems to be the way to go.

zahntech said:
I have no use for 500hp on the street and no matter what it costs or how fast it goes it will allways be "just a Corvette"

It depends if you actually drive on freeway or ever take it up to 100mph.

IMHO nsx is dog slow from 50~100mph, this is the biggest weakness this car has acceleration wise. It shines in 0~60mph, but anything above it needs some serious help.

nsxsupra said:
It depends if you actually drive on freeway or ever take it up to 100mph.

IMHO nsx is dog slow from 50~100mph, this is the biggest weakness this car has acceleration wise. It shines in 0~60mph, but anything above it needs some serious help.

I would disagree. The 91-94 NSX is still pretty fast 0-100. Just as fast as an EVO or STI and then after 100 MPH it will walk away from those two.

If you change the final drive gears the car pulls noticibly harder all the way to 100mph.

And If you are unlucky enough to get pulled over at 100mph on the freeway in any major metropolitan area you will likely go to jail, or at a minimum get a major fine and driving school, and not the kind of driving school that is fun. :smile:

Like I said ...I have no use for 500hp on the street....this is why I sold my CBR 1000 ..it was way too fast to have any fun with on the street without breaking laws and indangering my own and others safety.

zahntech said:
Like I said ...I have no use for 500hp on the street....this is why I sold my CBR 1000 ..it was way too fast to have any fun with on the street without breaking laws and indangering my own and others safety.
Point well taken :smile:, no matter how much self control someone has, with all that power on hand, it is virtually impossible not take it up there once a while.

I think I overstated a bit. The nsx is still plenty fast to get someone into trouble. What I meant to saiy is in 50~100mph acceleration on freeway or 50~80mph, NSX does not give that overwhelming feeling or have that snappy speedometer needle effect like some of the high hp cars such as NSX with force induction, E55, 966 TT, etc. These cars can still be daily driven.

nsxtasy said:
Off the top of my head, I believe BMW currently sells around 200,000 vehicles per year in the States, and Chevy sells around 25,000 Corvettes per year.

Incidentally, the median age of Corvette buyers is currently 59 years old. (According to CNW Marketing Research, as reported in today's New York Times.)

This would be an unfair comparison since you are putting up sales numbers for a make versus a model.

'Chevy sells around 25,000 Corvettes per year."

"This would be an unfair comparison since you are putting up sales numbers for a make versus a model. "

OK, :confused:

MCM said:
'Chevy sells around 25,000 Corvettes per year."

"This would be an unfair comparison since you are putting up sales numbers for a make versus a model. "

OK, :confused:

The previous person that I quoted was comparing the annual sales figures for BMW, which includes their entire lineup, to figures of 25,000 Chevrolet Corvettes per year. I was merely stating that a more fair comparison would be to put up numbers of a particular model that BMW makes, such as the 3 Series, against the Corvette sales numbers.

I'll chime in on this one. I come from a Corvette family starting with my Dad's first in 1990. He sold that one a long time ago, but when they came out with the C5, he bought one immediatly. It was a black coupe, and an incredible car for the time. Then, we had an '01 'vert auto because there were a lot of sports cars around the house at the time, and it was just a cruiser. Then, we got the best corvette ever built, an '03 Z06. What a great car that was. I loved destroying 911 Turbos on trackdays and driving the ultra torquey motor. Though, when I graduated from college, my dad offered me the Z06, but I already had my NSX for about two years, and there's something too special about the NSX to give it up for raw power. When the new vettes came out, I drove an auto first because that was all that they had at the dealerships, then I got lucky and drove a Z51 6-speed. The C6 Z51 does not handle as well as the C5 Z06. Actually, it's not even in the same league. It's like a soft C5 Z06. I ended up buying a C55 Benz for practicality purposes instead. After two months, I'm selling the C55 and keeping my NSX, I miss it too much. I don't care how much power you have, if it can't hang with the NSX around corners you'll miss the NSX. The end of the story, my Dad's got a yellow C6 Z06 coming in in Oct, right around the time my new daily driver, an '06 Jetta TDI comes in. When the Z06 comes in he's getting rid of the Hennesey Viper, a Ferrari 575m, and the C5 Z06;there's no need for redundancy. He is keeping the 911 though, because no matter how great the Z06 is, it still won't feel as pure as a 911. That's precisely how I feel about the NSX. Pricewise, I could have gotten any vette except the C6 Z06, but I think I'll keep the NSX, thank you very much.

The C6 is definitely more of a gentlemens sports car with all the amenities like XM and Navi as options. As far as the NSX is rated, I drive multiple NSX's every day and love the car as I take care of 99% of the NSX cars and owners that come to the service department at Keyes Acura. The vehicle is dated though, you have to admit. With the exception of some coloring and very minor changes, the interior is the same since 1991. I personally hope the new NSX is completely revised with at least 450 bhp. The car needs to have at least that much to be on the low side of the bench mark of 500bhp that most cars of that caliber new have. I will say that the 2002-2005 headlights are the best looking headlights of any car I have ever seen. I have even aquired a set to possibly custom fit into my 2004 Z06(Major Custom Bodywork if anyone has any bodyshop recomendations, I would appreciate it). The new C6 is a cool car but has a ugly rear that kills the entire car. I would much rather keep my 2004 Z06 and wait till the new NSX comes out to buy it. Plus, by then my vette will be paid for and I can start a new car note for more toys to have in the garage. In my opinion, both are very nice cars, but the NSX definitely gets a lot more looks on the road here in Southern Cali. One more note on the comment about the key fob instead of traditional keys on the C6: If you do get locked in and the door release buttons are inoperative, GM does have pull handles to open the doors in the corners of the floorboard, so at least with all this new technology, they were smart enough to put a basic cable release in case of anything. Like I said, I would much rather squeze some more hp out of mine than go out and buy the new C6(thats coming from a guy who grew up on vettes and exotic cars as this is vette #9 for me). Just my $0.02 after reading this forum.

slashmatt said:
I'll chime in on this one. I come from a Corvette family starting with my Dad's first in 1990. He sold that one a long time ago, but when they came out with the C5, he bought one immediatly. It was a black coupe, and an incredible car for the time. Then, we had an '01 'vert auto because there were a lot of sports cars around the house at the time, and it was just a cruiser. Then, we got the best corvette ever built, an '03 Z06. What a great car that was. I loved destroying 911 Turbos on trackdays and driving the ultra torquey motor. Though, when I graduated from college, my dad offered me the Z06, but I already had my NSX for about two years, and there's something too special about the NSX to give it up for raw power. When the new vettes came out, I drove an auto first because that was all that they had at the dealerships, then I got lucky and drove a Z51 6-speed. The C6 Z51 does not handle as well as the C5 Z06. Actually, it's not even in the same league. It's like a soft C5 Z06. I ended up buying a C55 Benz for practicality purposes instead. After two months, I'm selling the C55 and keeping my NSX, I miss it too much. I don't care how much power you have, if it can't hang with the NSX around corners you'll miss the NSX. The end of the story, my Dad's got a yellow C6 Z06 coming in in Oct, right around the time my new daily driver, an '06 Jetta TDI comes in. When the Z06 comes in he's getting rid of the Hennesey Viper, a Ferrari 575m, and the C5 Z06;there's no need for redundancy. He is keeping the 911 though, because no matter how great the Z06 is, it still won't feel as pure as a 911. That's precisely how I feel about the NSX. Pricewise, I could have gotten any vette except the C6 Z06, but I think I'll keep the NSX, thank you very much.
Damn. What did your father do for a career? Nice cars.

Back