• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. Corvette Z06?

Rath there are many cars that sell well based on one factor. Exclusivity. If those cars were to become "popular", their sales would stop. Many small time manufacturers live in this niche. Those cars however, are usualy low in production numbers, and low in build quality. Finicky, tempremental, expensive to maintain. Yet people blow big $ on them.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage sells for $120K. A Porsche 997S sells for $80K. The Aston costs 50% more than the porsche's price, and it performs slightly worse and is less reliable. Yet some, choose to buy the Aston. Because Aston will make 3000 V8's a year, and Porsche will make 30,000 911's a year.

You can see the draw, right? The NSX is almost one of a kind. A freak in the automotive world that may never be seen again. A car that sold some 300 units in 2005... built by a MAJOR manufacturer, solid, reliable, easy to maintain, yet exculsive and rare at the same time. Handbuilt, all aluminum chassis. Its the car many pass over... Thank God. Its not for everybody. Thank God. :smile: Is it for you?

I can tell you as another said, the driving "experience", as a whole, is very very rich. Yesterday I came up on a brand new F430 on the highway... the guy pulled up next to me on purpose. Older guy, well dressed... we both looked over at each other, he game me a thumbs up. I gave him one. A Z06 would not have gotten that from him. I can guarantee you.

TURBO2GO said:
Rath there are many cars that sell well based on one factor. Exclusivity. If those cars were to become "popular", their sales would stop. Many small time manufacturers live in this niche. Those cars however, are usualy low in production numbers, and low in build quality. Finicky, tempremental, expensive to maintain. Yet people blow big $ on them.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage sells for $120K. A Porsche 997S sells for $80K. The Aston costs 50% more than the porsche's price, and it performs slightly worse and is less reliable. Yet some, choose to buy the Aston. Because Aston will make 3000 V8's a year, and Porsche will make 30,000 911's a year.

You can see the draw, right? The NSX is almost one of a kind. A freak in the automotive world that may never be seen again. A car that sold some 300 units in 2005... built by a MAJOR manufacturer, solid, reliable, easy to maintain, yet exculsive and rare at the same time. Handbuilt, all aluminum chassis. Its the car many pass over... Thank God. Its not for everybody. Thank God. :smile: Is it for you?

I can tell you as another said, the driving "experience", as a whole, is very very rich. Yesterday I came up on a brand new F430 on the highway... the guy pulled up next to me on purpose. Older guy, well dressed... we both looked over at each other, he game me a thumbs up. I gave him one. A Z06 would not have gotten that from him. I can guarantee you.

now THAT makes sense! does honda purposefully make a limited number of NSX's every year, the way lambo and ferarri do? Or can you order one from a honda factory like more mainstream cars?
I'd love to be the only one in my city with an NSX, i think this is the car for me.

#1 reason the NSX didn't sell: Its a Honda. No one wants to spend 90K, and then have to tell others he owns a Honda. How can you tell people you are rich and cool if you have to say you own an Acura?!!!

#2 reason: What do magazines review? NEW CARS. Who wants to read about a car they already reviewed last year?

Honda is mild with updates, because they won't spend a lot of time on a car that is selling 300/year. No sales, no updates. No updates, no reviews. No reviews, no sales.

So the NSX, as beautiful as it is, gets forgotten about. She is the classicaly beautiful girl standing alone quietly in the corner of the dance floor because everyone else is after the hot new thing that just walked in.

The plus of the Z06 is that they are not charging much for it. But it also has only one thing going for it. Speed. Which is great! for now... Its the hot new girl until something is a little faster. Then the Z06 has nothing else to stand on.

The NSX has classic good looks, exclusivity, incredible reliability, balance, and depsite less speed, sheer fun to drive. Its not relying on one strength.

Synthesis said:
sorry, i was 9 years old when it came out....

so it was always overpriced then? :tongue:
Yeah, I was a young'n too in 1990. I only know about the pricing info from research here on prime and personal conversations with two owners who purchased their NSXs new in '91.

Yes, it has always been under/over-priced depending on who you ask. :wink: :biggrin:

Having a modified NSX which I dearly love, the Z06 is quite a car. In handling, breaking and acceleration, it is rated very well. No reason to bash it. I wouldn't mind having one in my stable.

TURBO2GO said:
#1 reason the NSX didn't sell: Its a Honda. No one wants to spend 90K, and then have to tell others he owns a Honda. How can you tell people you are rich and cool if you have to say you own an Acura?!!!

#2 reason: What do magazines review? NEW CARS. Who wants to read about a car they already reviewed last year?

Honda is mild with updates, because they won't spend a lot of time on a car that is selling 300/year. No sales, no updates. No updates, no reviews. No reviews, no sales.

So the NSX, as beautiful as it is, gets forgotten about. She is the classicaly beautiful girl standing alone quietly in the corner of the dance floor because everyone else is after the hot new thing that just walked in.

The plus of the Z06 is that they are not charging much for it. But it also has only one thing going for it. Speed. Which is great! for now... Its the hot new girl until something is a little faster. Then the Z06 has nothing else to stand on.

The NSX has classic good looks, exclusivity, incredible reliability, balance, and depsite less speed, sheer fun to drive. Its not relying on one strength.

Reason #3 add the harley wave.....bet harley riders don't wave at every vette they come across:smile:

Seems to me that the C6 Z06 is one hell of a car. Chevy did their homework, just like Honda did with the NSX. Perhaps they should have spent another $5k to make the interiors nice and improve some build quality issues, but still...

It may not have Japanese quality/reliability or European exotic sex appeal, but it's still an amazing product for the price. :smile:

TURBO2GO said:

Not charging much ?!?!?! $78K is not much ? :eek:

And I'd hardly call a car that can pull 1 G on the skidpad "nothing". And, as a matter of fact, the interior is quite pleasant as well and the ride is not harsh at all ("ride" as in a regular C6, NOT the Z06 which I haven't driven - I imagine it rides somewhat more firmly than the regular C6) :wink:

Don Corenman said:
Having a modified NSX which I dearly love, the Z06 is quite a car. In handling, breaking and acceleration, it is rated very well. No reason to bash it. I wouldn't mind having one in my stable.

huh huh huh he said "breaking"

heh yeah heh he's gonna break it boyoinnnng

jond said:
I have 1991 Sentra SE-R that I race. I paid $1,800 for it. I've put probably $1,500 or so in mods to it. At the last auto-x I was right behind a $75,000 C6 Z06 and beat a C5 Z06.

So let me ask you, is a Z06 worth $72,000 MORE then my SE-R for about the same performance?

Why don't you try it on a real track instead of racing through cones and see how you do vs a Z06?

The Z06 is not good at autocross because it does 60MPH in FIRST.

FYI, the NSX is a terrible autocross car also IMO. At least the NA because the gearing to to tall.

You will be able to buy a used one soon, just deduct $2k for each rattle and $5k
for the automatically ejecting top and $1k for each cheap plastic trim piece that
falls off. So, in say another 8 months, a 06 will go for $1500. :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
Not charging much ?!?!?! $78K is not much ? :eek:

And I'd hardly call a car that can pull 1 G on the skidpad "nothing". And, as a matter of fact, the interior is quite pleasant as well and the ride is not harsh at all ("ride" as in a regular C6, NOT the Z06 which I haven't driven - I imagine it rides somewhat more firmly than the regular C6) :wink:

Well 78K is not much for that kind of perfromance is what I am saying. "Nothing else" meaning that its missing the other virtues of exclusivity, some amount of sex appeal/exotic look and reliability. The Z06 has speed and tons of it. No one is arguing that.

Also, Don I am not bashing it at all. Its a great car!

NetViper said:
Why don't you try it on a real track instead of racing through cones and see how you do vs a Z06?

The Z06 is not good at autocross because it does 60MPH in FIRST.

FYI, the NSX is a terrible autocross car also IMO. At least the NA because the gearing to to tall.

You missed the point...
The point is, ANY car can be made fast. Its not rocket science. For about $5,000-$9,000 I can build something that will out perform a C6 Z06 on a track.

Thus, you can see how the OPs argument breaks down. If you ask 'why would rather have a $77,000 Z06 instead of a civic hybrid", it becomes obvious. A gutted race preped civic hybrid would cost $70,000 less, and could have the same TRACK performance, BUT, its a civic.....

Why wouldn't someone rather have a C6 Z06 instead of an Exotic car like a NSX, Lamborghini, or Ferrari 360 that has less performance? Because its just a corvette...

jond said:
Why wouldn't someone rather have a C6 Z06 instead of an Exotic car like a NSX, Lamborghini, or Ferrari 360 that has less performance? Because its just a corvette...

So why wouldn't someone rather have a NSX instead of a Lambo or Ferrari when the NSX has half the performance of those cars? Because it is just a Honda.

Your arguement makes no sense.

At least with a Z06 you have a car that can stomp the exotics for 1/2 the price instead of a car that gets run over by the exotics for 1/2 the price.

Saying is is "just a corvette" is just like saying nobody wants the NSX because it is "just a Honda".

The Corvette is the elite car of Chevy, just like the NSX is the elite car of Honda.

BioBanker said:
I agree with NetViper, "Just a" arguments fall apart pretty quickly because different brands have different values to different individuals.

You're right - he should have said "It's just a GM" !!! :biggrin:

You're not really going to compare Honda's track record vs. GM's over the last 30 years or so, are you ? :rolleyes:

Yup different things to different people - just like the "Just an avatar" argument - where some people would be offended by yours,,,,,,,,, but it's "just an avatar", right ? :rolleyes:

<ahem> responding to what is worthwhile within your post.

Ok, so which is a better brand to you, Ferrari or Porsche?

Many comparisons between the two brands end with "yeah, but its a Ferrari and even though the Pturbo is as fast, it is still JUST A PORSCHE"..

I happen to believe that Porsches are better than Ferraris.

Im sure that there are many people who believe that GMs, or Kias, or Fords, Ladas, or whatever, are better than Hondas.

Defaulting to a slag against the brand is a really good way to fail to prove your point, IMO, but I guess it is just an opinion.

BioBanker said:
<AHEM> responding to what is worthwhile within your post.

Ok, so which is a better brand to you, Ferrari or Porsche?

Many comparisons between the two brands end with "yeah, but its a Ferrari and even though the Pturbo is as fast, it is still JUST A PORSCHE"..

I happen to believe that Porsches are better than Ferraris.

Im sure that there are many people who believe that GMs, or Kias, or Fords, Ladas, or whatever, are better than Hondas.

Defaulting to a slag against the brand is a really good way to fail to prove your point, IMO, but I guess it is just an opinion.

That would be what *YOU* deem worthwhile in my post, no ? :biggrin:

Define "better". :rolleyes:

Those "many people" can believe what they like, but just like YOU, they'd be wrong !

I gave you my opinion but I also gave you fact. I referred to the TRACK RECORD of the 2 companies, not just which of the 2 *I* considered "better" (however you define it).

Honda has continually bested GM in virtually every measurable category over the last God knows how many years (except maybe "total sales" but then GM DID have how many years head start (over here) ?).

And Honda has traditionally gotten over sticker for many of their newest cars and often for their somewhat "mundane" Accords over the years. GM is only now getting a couple of grand over sticker for one very specific model, the Z06. Of course they're on the verge of bankruptcy as well too, aren't they ? :rolleyes:

Im not sure what you mean by "track record". Do you mean history of producing high performance vehicles? Do you mean history of producing reliable vehicles? Or do you mean history of selling lots of cars? Do you mean something else?

GM sells more cars than Honda, no? Its flagship model has at all times, at least equaled Honda's flagship in performance, no?

Im sorry, I still dont see how anything you've brought up has anything to do with providing credibility to a "just a" statement. It seems to me like you're supporting the opposit argument in fact.

Let me remind you who started the nonsense, and nonsense it sure was.

NSX-GUY said:

You're not really going to compare Honda's track record vs. GM's over the last 30 years or so, are you ? :rolleyes:

Yup different things to different people - just like the "Just an avatar" argument - where some people would be offended by yours,,,,,,,,, but it's "just an avatar", right ? :rolleyes:

NSX-GUY said:

I am not going to compare Honda to GM. I think Honda makes a much better product in general. BUT, I also think the NSX is a level beyond what Honda normally makes JUST like to me the vette is a levle beyond what GM normally makes.

I still think the NSX is the superior product from a quality standpoint and an awesome supercar, BUT the majority of the automotive snobs who own lambos and ferrari's will always see the NSX as "just a Honda."

NSX-GUY said:
Right you are - carry on with your recreational activities ! :wink:

LOL... I am still trying to figure out what you two were arguing about.

NetViper said:
Saying is is "just a corvette" is just like saying nobody wants the NSX because it is "just a Honda".

I've heard a lot of people call the C5 corvette the "5th generation camaro" simply because it's so cheap and common.

To each their own....

Back