• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs Girl Friend

imbo had very good advice above. Sometimes our passions cloud our outlook
on the rest of life's details. Try to step back and look at this from a third
person's objective. Are her concerns legit? If you've done everything you can
to accomadate her, giving equal time to non-car pursuits, then the issue is not
the car. She WILL always find a replacement for the car to justify her actions.
Could be any hobby, your job, favorite TV show,.....
IF you've been doing everything to please her, what is she doing for you?
What's the pattern? Sometimes the fear of being alone outweighs our
self-respect and we end up letting people take advantage of us. That WILL
lead to resentment, and somewhere down the line that resentment will
explode. If you are not happy with who you are and the things you
do(job/hobbies/interests), no person can ever fill that void.And it is not healthy
to allow someone to dictate to you what your passions should be, or
where/when/how you should pursue them (all within the law, of course).You
may need to consider taking a break from this relationship in order to look at it
objectively. If that ( a break ) causes it to fall apart irretrievably, then it
wasn't meant to be anyway. A healthy relationship is a subtle dance of give
and take. Make sure you're dancing, not crawling.

well put,ditto.

Originally posted by NSXLNT:

Thats what i was thinking.

What makes me wonder, is if she had any bad experience wich involved a car (enthausiast)in the past?

Good thread.
Good advices.

Mich

Hmmm, sounds a lot like my ex! Just ask yourself "do I really want to deal with this for the rest of my life???". Then answer truthfully, and trust me the truth hurts
smile.gif

Aaron

Jimbo sums it up nicely and plainly. RE-read his post and take it to heart. After being married for three years I have to concur with his ideas on your situation to the "t".

While she should embrace and tolerate your passions (and Vice Versa) and be open minded...there is a time and place for everything. Her needs are important too and like others have said...if she didn't care about you there wouldn't be an issue. I won't go on becais eit would be redundant based on the other's good responses to you.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

[This message has been edited by scottjua (edited 03 June 2002).]

Having a girlfriend that thinks of cars as simply A to B transportation can actually be a good sign. I'd be a lot more worried about the reverse problem, that is, someone who puts a high value on the look or marque of their/your car. Frankly, having someone that does not have the impulses and obsessions of an 'enthusaist' will keep you better balanced in the long run.

As far as respecting the special needs of your car and your passion: this is something that can be changed over time. Cultivating the rest of the relationship in its early stages will tend to teach you and your girlfriend how to work around/through irritating differences. Once a couple finds a good way to resolve the consistent, medium sized problems, then anything is achievable.

Now, if the touchy-feely stuff doesn't work then get a subscription to AutoWeek. Having the latest cars strewn about the house sends a powerful subliminal message....cars are interesting, exciting, and constantly changing
smile.gif

Can you explain in a little more detail your parking methods at the mall? Do you drive around for 5 minutes looking for the perfect spot when a wide spot, with the still real possibility of a ding from a later parker, is right in front. As you have seen here it doesn't matter where you park someone will park their car one inch from you if they can. Therefore it is impossible to find a perfect spot at the mall and the mistake is using the NSX in the first place instead of taking her car. You don't need a second car, you need a beater NSX.
Avoiding potholes is wise and you wouldn't run over nails or small animals either.
Nothing wrong with the ride of an NSX, it's the roads that are bad.

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:

Also, if you attend NSX gatherings, perhaps you should have her come with you, so she can see for herself that it is not just YOU that treats the NSX in a "special way"...but all NSX owners! Maybe then, she'll cut you some slack.

-Andie

Yeah, that's a great idea...
Let her know that you belong to a whole nationwide network of freaks!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ck:
Yeah, that's a great idea...
Let her know that you belong to a whole nationwide network of freaks!
biggrin.gif

Even better ... a WORLDWIDE network of freaks !
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Best regards from Switzerland !

I've been running some ebay auctions and using the moneys to dress up the NSX. This weekend, I was checking my email, and two auctions went though. Then I said to the girl I was with that it looked like I could buy myself some more parts and accessories. Somehow, that prompted her to let me know what she wants for her birthday this month. It only costs 10.5 times as much as she spent on my birthday gift. Hmmm, I am starting to think that along with Italian cars, Italian byrds are just too high maintenance, IMO.

Originally posted by ALLAN:
i say get a new one!
New vehicle or new friend ??
biggrin.gif

If its really worth it, there truly is a time and a place for everything. Passions can peacefully co-exist.

"there can be only one" only works in the Highlander movies
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:
Also, if you attend NSX gatherings, perhaps you should have her come with you, so she can see for herself that it is not just YOU that treats the NSX in a "special way"...but all NSX owners! Maybe then, she'll cut you some slack.

Generally, NSX gatherings tend to fall into two categories: "techie" gatherings such as track events and dyno days, vs "social" gatherings such as dinners and NSXPO. While spouses and SOs are welcome at the techie events, few attend, whereas there tend to be plenty of SOs at the social events, and they often make friends with each other. I would suggest bringing her to the social events, not the techie ones.

I'm sorry to say that my girlfriend lost. We were living together for 5 years and see knew I was seeking a special car. One day I bought my NSX and the S*** started building from there. 3 mos. later I moved her out. Basis being that I could not face myself in the mirror if I let another person dictate what I could or could not do. Just for info, I'm not that anal with my car and always gave her time. She just felt pressure from my owning a nice vehicle that some young girl would swoop me off my feet. Sometimes ones fears are their own worst enemy!

Swoop you off your feet? hehehe

In the 8 years and 104k miles ive had my NSX, I can only think of 2 instances where a female actually "cared" about the car.

In other words, in most cases the girls didn't give a sh** about the car, and most don't even know what kind of car it is.

Where are these girls that do the swooping? Send em my way, cause if all it takes is an NSX then line em up... but I think we all know thats not the case ;P

-B

Originally posted by Roadrunner:
I'm sorry to say that my girlfriend lost. We were living together for 5 years and see knew I was seeking a special car. One day I bought my NSX and the S*** started building from there. 3 mos. later I moved her out. Basis being that I could not face myself in the mirror if I let another person dictate what I could or could not do. Just for info, I'm not that anal with my car and always gave her time. She just felt pressure from my owning a nice vehicle that some young girl would swoop me off my feet. Sometimes ones fears are their own worst enemy!

just tell us the truth - she wasnt any good in the sack and ur just lookin for a reason to dump her...

j/k dude

i have just the opposite problem...

when i got my latest NSX, all my wife said was, "can we afford it?" (i do all the books, heh, heh
smile.gif
)

anyway, we got the car and drove it back from san francisco to houston... she didn't even WANT to drive it until the last day on the road... so she drives it for about an hour then says, "ok, i've had enough..." so i'm thinking, cool... she'll tolerate the car but won't be hogging it...

cut to present day... i have to fight her for the car keys now... i'm not sure this is better than than the alternative!

------------------
Kaye & Trish
1998 NSX-T #176
Red/Tan
No mods...
NSXCA #108

[This message has been edited by Number 6 (edited 05 June 2002).]

Steve Martin once said, "Sex is the most natural, most beautiful, most wonderful thing that money can buy."

Here is my take on this. If she wants you to beat on your car by slamming over potholes, or to get rid of it, I would question if she wants YOU to be happy or not. You would think that she would want you to TAKE CARE of things in your life that are important to you (i.e. the NSX & her).

------------------
Mitch

(a.k.a.-- 'Mason'...Tire Rack sales guy in training.)

1991 Acura NSX black/ivory

I feel for you since I am blessed with exact opposite, my wife complains that her car is too slow and that after the NSX is boosted, her beloved 911 has to be made faster. Really though, we all have our passions and if you SO cannot deal with yours, it might be time to look for another as in the future, there will be another objection. The relationship should be about compromise, not always MY WAY.

OMG, I can not believe the similarities in your situation with mine and my girlfriend. However, my second car is the NSX after the S2000. She thinks two sports car/2 seaters is overkill and I need to get rid of one and get a SUV or minivan for future family if I plan to keep seeing her.

Tan

this is the way i see it ...
nsx = wife ,,,,first wife
girlfriend dont like it ......then girlfriend can buy herself a car
or i can calll the cab
whats harder to get ...nsx or girlfriends?
obviously
plenty of fishs in the ocean ,
not alot of nsx on the road ...
but that just my thoughts....

A lot has happened over these 9 months. Any complications and misunderstandings are finally gone and we're taking things to the next level. Now that the weather is cold, I've only been driving the Cooper S for the past 5 months. To my surprise, my gf actually misses my NSX!!

I was like...

"Eh? I thought you didn't like the car, you said it's bumpy, hard to get in and out, hate the way I dodge potholes and the whole nine yards."

And she replied...

"It's okay, I got used to it and besides, we had a lot of good memories with it."

smile.gif

------------------
'98-T Kaiser Silver/Black

Thats nice.. !
my ex, and a gal I used to like said that the NSX is FUGLY.. they even say why you wanna such a old fashioned, flate narrow car? NVm.. its not the point .. NSXJOY I do not have a gf so the NSX is my full time Wify.. Good and lucky you that your girl finally understood the value of the NSX.. Take her out for a spin if she misses it!..

ps. where do you live? does your apartment have any vacancy.. I'm looking for a place to move in summer...

Edited:

"actually I'm going out to walk my red wify... at around brookline.. gonne visit best buy and pick up some new games.. hehe"

Terence

[This message has been edited by BostonNSX (edited 25 March 2003).]

This is my experience. The other day I stayed the night over my girlfriends. We were in bed and we heard a car. I said, I think that is my car. She jump out of bed like the house was on fire. Looking out the window I lol I knew it wasn't my car. I love my girlfriend!

Back