• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs RX7

The only thing I didn't like about the Mazda was that it felt cheap. Thing sounded like a tin can when I shut the door.

I may be one of the few who have gone from an NSX into a FD and I couldn't agree with you more. The feeling of driving a tin can is only amplified when you get going down the road! The NSX isn't exactly a lightweight but the use of aluminum obviously allowed Honda to build a very solid car at a substantial weight savings. Mazda took a more conventional approach to weight savings which resulted in much lower cost but also gives the car a 'cheaper' feel.

Like you said the FD definitely has its charms as does the NSX. I think both cars' styling has aged very well and I probably get as many people stopping me in my FD to ask what it is or admire it as I did in the NSX. My FD is much faster than the NSX but as others have mentioned its not really a fair comparison when you're talking about a highly modded car. Both are great cars just very different in how they achieve their goals.

Nate

....I've also ridden in a 400HP+ ~26500 LB RX-7 and it was a absolute rocket. We walked from 911 Turbos, Lambos all day long with that kind of p/w and probably all but 500RWHP+ < 2800 LB Turbo NSXs........Anyway, the RX-7 is a great ride stock and a bad-ass ride modified! Props if you get it and don't listen to some of the haters...:biggrin:

You mean 2650lbs ;)

I've replaced my most recent FD engine for $1500 (that included Aviation-grade apex seals, street porting, ceramic coating, and R&R). So far 30k miles on it and over 400RWHP with detonation on 91 octane. Ceramic coated rotor faces practically eliminated detonation due to the reduced heat soaked rotor faces by 35%.

This is the same coating that is used for 8000HP Top Fuel cars where the piston face, valves, heads were treated.

The RX7 will always be a greater track car for all types of racing then the NSX. This has already been proven by it's long history of racing success.

I own an NSX but common now give some credit. The RX7 does this for half the price. Engines need rebuilds more frequently but cost 10 times less than the NSX. I can go on and on about how great the RX7 is.

You know when I had my Miata I told myself I would never get rid of it and that It was a classic and such a great Auto Crosser that I would just keep it forever.

I sold it. After some mods to get it up to NSX Speeds, It turned into a turd. Pluss the Elise stole it's thunder.

I told myself I was going to keep my 2nd Gen RX7 forever.

Sold that to.

Am I telling myself I will keep the NSX forever? No way not anymore. It's in the FS section. As time goes on and better cheaper cars come out, Inclluding electric, your mental state, opinions and everything change. Most of you won't be keeping your NSX for that long either despite what you say, unless you want to be like those 90's Transam and Corvette owners with your name signed on the door then go ahead but with every new car that comes out, you guys just keeping barrying yourself in lies.

BTW THE RX& CAN'T LOSE!

The RX7 will always be a greater track car for all types of racing then the NSX. This has already been proven by it's long history of racing success.

Actually there's nothing proving that that RX7 is a greater track car than the NSX. The RX7 has just came out eleven or twelve years before the NSX. The first and second generation RX7's proved to be very reliable unfortunately the third generation was not very reliable. This discussion has been a comparison between the third generation RX7 and the NSX.

I own an NSX but common now give some credit. The RX7 does this for half the price. Engines need rebuilds more frequently but cost 10 times less than the NSX. I can go on and on about how great the RX7 is.

I don't know where you read that we're not giving the RX7 credit. The RX7 was built to outperform the NA1 NSX and it does ,but only slightly.This performance came at the cost of reliability. Which as you just said the engine needs "frequent rebuilding" proves what I and some of the others have been saying. Of course it's not just the engine it's other stuff to. Anyone here could go on and on about how great the NSX is so what's your point?

You know when I had my Miata I told myself I would never get rid of it and that It was a classic and such a great Auto Crosser that I would just keep it forever.

I sold it. After some mods to get it up to NSX Speeds, It turned into a turd. Pluss the Elise stole it's thunder.

This just proves you should never say what you won't do:rolleyes:

I told myself I was going to keep my 2nd Gen RX7 forever.

Sold that to.

Am I telling myself I will keep the NSX forever? No way not anymore. It's in the FS section. As time goes on and better cheaper cars come out, Inclluding electric, your mental state, opinions and everything change. Most of you won't be keeping your NSX for that long either despite what you say, unless you want to be like those 90's Transam and Corvette owners with your name signed on the door then go ahead but with every new car that comes out, you guys just keeping barrying yourself in lies.

BTW THE RX& CAN'T LOSE!

What lies have we buried ourselves in? I guess you did this late at night because most of this post was pretty much incoherent and filled with misspelled words. You really did more damage to the RX7 than defending it by coming across so poorly.

...... I guess you did this late at night because most of this post was pretty much incoherent and filled with misspelled words. You really did more damage to the RX7 than defending it by coming across so poorly.

I always find it funny where people try to turn someone else's spelling and grammer skills to their advantage where, in essence, they should be focusing on the matter at hand.

If you happen to agree with someone (and this is not just you) and they forgot to run spell/grammer check I seriously doubt that you will even comment on it.

As if you were going to break out your knee pads if the person agrees/compliments you with proper spelling/grammer........ :rolleyes:

I always find it funny where people try to turn someone else's spelling and grammer skills to their advantage where, in essence, they should be focusing on the matter at hand.

If you happen to agree with someone (and this is not just you) and they forgot to run spell/grammer check I seriously doubt that you will even comment on it.

As if you were going to break out your knee pads if the person agrees/compliments you with proper spelling/grammer........ :rolleyes:

Sigh! I addressed the grammar at the end after touching on all the subjects he spoke of. I don't run spell check on my posts. As a matter of fact I didn't know you could. It's a matter of presenting your case/view point in an intelligent matter which he didn't. His post is/was not beneficial to the RX7 side which is what he was trying to defend in a haphazard fashion. If I went on an RX7 forum to defend the NSX in the way he did they would jump all over me.

For the record I don't go to other forums and try to defend the NSX against anything. I have written and you've seen my posts that the RX7 does indeed have slightly better performance than the NA1 NSX. It's a matter of fact. My point is as I've stated before that it is/was poorly contructed/engineered and prone to failure..period! The thing lasted three model years. Sales were poor because the majority of people who bought it found it to be troublesome and unreliable. What's so hard about that to accept?

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the RX7 wasn't the only Japanese sports car to experience a significant slump in their sales numbers.

They might have been the first one to "see the light" and pull out (although the word on the street is that Ford's ownership of Mazda probably had something to do with that) while the Supras, 3000GT, etc. were experiencing sale slumps as well. Sure the explosive nature of the RX7 didn't help, but there certainly other factors as well. I believe that Nissan's 300ZX was the only japanese sports car to have been able to recover their R&D and manufacturing costs over time.

Has the NSX been able to do the same? It's hard to say. My guesstimate is that they sold less NSXs (even though the NSX was the last one to stick around from the great 90's japanese cars) than they did 300ZX. The other question is if Honda was able to make a profit from the NSX? I seriously doubt it (again, I'm going on a hunch with no real numbers in front of me).

I suspect that the Dodge Viper hardly recovered it's R&D and tooling/manufacturing overhead as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that most major car companies that make sports cars (not sporty 4-seater 2-door cars) don't do it for the $$$, but rather do it for the "show-off" and marketing factors. Decisions to keep production rolling is almost subjective and not always financially sound.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the RX7 wasn't the only Japanese sports car to experience a significant slump in their sales numbers.

They might have been the first one to "see the light" and pull out (although the word on the street is that Ford's ownership of Mazda probably had something to do with that) while the Supras, 3000GT, etc. were experiencing sale slumps as well. Sure the explosive nature of the RX7 didn't help, but there certainly other factors as well. I believe that Nissan's 300ZX was the only japanese sports car to have been able to recover their R&D and manufacturing costs over time.

Has the NSX been able to do the same? It's hard to say. My guesstimate is that they sold less NSXs (even though the NSX was the last one to stick around from the great 90's japanese cars) than they did 300ZX. The other question is if Honda was able to make a profit from the NSX? I seriously doubt it (again, I'm going on a hunch with no real numbers in front of me).

I suspect that the Dodge Viper hardly recovered it's R&D and tooling/manufacturing overhead as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that most major car companies that make sports cars (not sporty 4-seater 2-door cars) don't do it for the $$$, but rather do it for the "show-off" and marketing factors. Decisions to keep production rolling is almost subjective and not always financially sound.

Sigh whatever man. Of course they sold more 300ZX's than they did NSX's. They offered four different models with two of those models being under $35K and two models over $40K. Mazda used to do the same thing ,but decided on the third generation being just one model. Your grasping at straws pursuing this line of reasoning. Your arguing just to argue at this point.

What lies have we buried ourselves in? I guess you did this late at night because most of this post was pretty much incoherent and filled with misspelled words. You really did more damage to the RX7 than defending it by coming across so poorly.

to everyone in the US it seems like he posted late at night, while he is in iraq it is not late at night. dont accuse people of things you do not know. if you disagree with someone just say so dont break things down and be such a jerk. he was just stating his opinion, and i understand you were posting yours but you could have left the last few sentences out.

to everyone in the US it seems like he posted late at night, while he is in iraq it is not late at night. dont accuse people of things you do not know. if you disagree with someone just say so dont break things down and be such a jerk. he was just stating his opinion, and i understand you were posting yours but you could have left the last few sentences out.

As far as the "jerk" part I am what I am ,but why is it wrong nowadays to tell someone that the way they presented themselves was poor. I didn't call him names and suggested that late hours were the reason for his errors. In this day and age that's gracious. He can state his opinion all he wants ,but he should at least do so intelligibly.

You get on some high horse and say call me names for telling someone they could do better:confused:

As far as the "jerk" part I am what I am ,but why is it wrong nowadays to tell someone that the way they presented themselves was poor. I didn't call him names and suggested that late hours were the reason for his errors. In this day and age that's gracious. He can state his opinion all he wants ,but he should at least do so intelligibly.

You get on some high horse and say call me names for telling someone they could do better:confused:

so you're saying all your post were and are error free? if they are im sorry for posting, go ahead post his errors. i think you also missed the other threads that have errors. you might want to hurry before someone else points it out before you do. and about the high horse, you've seem to be riding it the last few posts

so you're saying all your post were and are error free? if they are im sorry for posting, go ahead post his errors. i think you also missed the other threads that have errors. you might want to hurry before someone else points it out before you do. and about the high horse, you've seem to be riding it the last few posts

Sigh.

Oh so the RX7 must be taken for show ,because all they do is break down at the track. They do make for nice show cars ,be great if they could actually make it all the way to the show w/o breaking down:wink:

Where did I say that it's taken for show?

West coast > MI.

Living in MI means that you can't use ur cars in the sig 365.5 days a year.

LOL pretty much ,but thanks to global warming I had the top down on the S2000 on Tuesday and now on Thursday it's covered with snow:biggrin:

U'll have to excuse Wingz. His behavior may be a typical representation of one that has a collection of cars typical of arrogant folks.

;)

Oh snap LOL Was that nice?..LOL Good one Bats!:wink:

Back to the NSX vs RX7 (FD for that matter):

I've always wondered if the NSX was as light as the FD from the fatory, if it would either suffer in reliability and/or sound like a tin can.

Props to any car company that can make a steel chassis car lighter than a car with lighter raw materials (and maintain a favorbale 50/50~ weight dist.)

Back to the NSX vs RX7 (FD for that matter):

I've always wondered if the NSX was as light as the FD from the fatory, if it would either suffer in reliability and/or sound like a tin can.

Props to any car company that can make a steel chassis car lighter than a car with lighter raw materials (and maintain a favorbale 50/50~ weight dist.)

Nice lead to the RX7's strong suit ,but Toyota was making MR2's lighter than the RX7 w/o the same compromises. The NSX-R's are as light the RX7 ,but were still reliable. How about this. Could Mazda have made the RX7 more reliable w/o it's turbos and yet still equal or surpass the NSX in performance?

Nice lead to the RX7's strong suit ,but Toyota was making MR2's lighter than the RX7 w/o the same compromises. The NSX-R's are as light the RX7 ,but were still reliable. How about this. Could Mazda have made the RX7 more reliable w/o it's turbos and yet still equal or surpass the NSX in performance?

Are MR2's in the same class as the RX7? I think the Miata is better suited.

NSX-R is at 2800lbs and the Bathurst FD is 2685lbs. That's a better comparison since neither are sold in the states and are closer in year.

I don't see why Mazda could not have made a more reliable engine sans turbos and surpass the NSX with the 20B engine:

20b.jpg

I don't see why Mazda could not have made a more reliable engine sans turbos and surpass the NSX with the 20B engine:

20b.jpg

I don't see why honda couldn't have put a V10 in the nsx and surpass the RX7.

honda_v10.jpg

what a stupid ass argument.

Are MR2's in the same class as the RX7? I think the Miata is better suited.

NSX-R is at 2800lbs and the Bathurst FD is 2685lbs. That's a better comparison since neither are sold in the states and are closer in year.

20b.jpg

The second generation MR2 was closer in price to the RX7 than the RX7 was to the NSX. Technically the RX7 and NSX aren't in the same class other than being sportscars. Plus the 2800lbs NSX-R was the NA2 version the NA1 verson was/is about 2745 ( it's 265 lbs lighter than an NA1 and all I could find for weight on an NA1 is 3010 ) so there's really only 60lbs difference between the two.

Well I guess if Mazda could have they would have. They'd been offering NA versions of the rotary for years ,but even with technological advances they still went with turbos and dropped their NA's all together until recently. I think emissions is a problem with the rotary as well and getting them to match ever tightening emissions is tough and keeps them from making them more powerful. Hence the two power drops of HP rating on the RX8.

Back