• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs RX7

The RX-7 sucks comapired to the NSX and I had both. Look in the paper 1/2 have blown motors, how many nsx's are like that? Face it the RX-7 was a POS and will always be. The motor ran hot, the air seperation tank split or blew up, the paint sucked in all years, it drink gas 13mpg for a 1.3l motor? It maybe fun to drive but it's going to blow up sooner or later even if stock.

I was and still am a 300zx z32 enthusiast. My original love was a black 91 twin turbo 300zx. Very reliable but slightly* difficult to work on. Or maybe all other cars are just easy to work on, depends on your perspective.

The previous poster was right, Nissan was the only company that claimed profit overall. The key to this besides a great car was coming out in 1989. Nissan hit HUGE in 90' in the U.S. ->
[Source is www.twinturbo.net]

1990 - 39,290
1991 - 17,652
1992 - 6,708
1993 - 11,599
1994 - 5,320
1995 - 3,135
1996 - 400

That's a total of just under 85,000 cars for all 7 years -- about the same as Nissan's sales for the 1979 280ZX alone!

About 15,000 were turbo models. As you can see, they sold almost exactly 50% of all z32's in America in 90' alone; hence why ou see so many 90's for sale vs other years. You now also know why 96's fetch so much $$$; the turbo models as rare as same year NSX's.

WOW! So, I guess most of you NSX owners are hardcore track runners... LOL! Have any of you ran in the SCCA solo national level racing? because every year, FD RX-7 make it on there.. Even last year!
I've yet to see NSX win in any class. Before some of you assume that NSX is a better track car, go learn about FD RX-7s. There are many 7 owners who have broken track records and such..

Here is a result from last years SCCA solo event

http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?IdS=07CA10-E6B7130&Id=899&~=

Man...since when has autocross been a "race track event"? The NSX gearing is rediculously bad for autox because you have to change from 1-2 all the time...you keep it in 2nd and you are bogging 80% of the time. If you are a real autox guy you should know that some cars just aren't compatible with a type of racing where you have a top speed of 65 MPH and you are turning all the time. BTW way I autox and love it, but I use an S2000 for that! That car runs circles around the NSX on an autcross track, it is also almost perfectly geared for such events (AP1's top out in 2nd at 62 MPH) and last time I checked, the S2000 was an SCCA Solo2 national champion car.

There is a race prepped RX7 that comes to most of the SD Chapter events, and it kicks ass!!!!! But you know what, there is an amazing driver in a '91 Civic Si with a basically stock engine (just bolt ons) that wins the STS class and has been the fastest car out there more than once except for the shifter karts! All I am saying is that you can't say that the NSX is inferior because it doesn't do well at an autox event compared to the RX7. That is just silly. The RX7 may be a better real race track car, but you shouldn't argue that based on your knowledge of how they perform at an autox, which is a totally different animal.

It doesn't take much to figure out the better car on the autobahn... :biggrin:

Not really. Unless you mean a better "High speed cruising touring car". The problem is that people look for absolute truths.

Every car has its niche. The NSX is a hand built limited production exclusive vehicle. The RX7, unless I miss my guess, is a production line (albeit limited production) twin turbo vehicle. I don't put them in the same class, despite their almost indistinguishable peformance numbers.

The NSX is an astoundingly reliable, quality built car. The RX7 is an astounding performer for the price, but the quality isn't there. The NSX tops out at around 400 hp for a relatively reliable FI setup. The RX7 has much more potential than that but the price is reliability. It all depends on what you want, what your priorities are that make you choose one over the other, the thing that gives you the emotional connection that drives you to defend your choice out here on the Web.

For me, I would rather have the NSX. It is just less hassle to own a nicely modded NSX than it is to own a nicely modded RX7. I'll put a disclaimer on that statement though...just in my humble opinion.

The bottom line is that I like this forum because I can find out about everything NSX here, not because I like to debate about what car is better for someone else. I've already made my decision, that's why I'm here, and not at an RX7 forum. Granted, if I did want to own both, I would probably be active in both forums as well.

Cheers to all.

In one of the later Best Motoring DVD's there was an all version (minus latest version R) NSX "race". Some rare model Rx-7 and evo 7 were included in the mix.

Man...since when has autocross been a "race track event"? The NSX gearing is rediculously bad for autox because you have to change from 1-2 all the time...you keep it in 2nd and you are bogging 80% of the time. If you are a real autox guy you should know that some cars just aren't compatible with a type of racing where you have a top speed of 65 MPH and you are turning all the time. BTW way I autox and love it, but I use an S2000 for that! That car runs circles around the NSX on an autcross track, it is also almost perfectly geared for such events (AP1's top out in 2nd at 62 MPH) and last time I checked, the S2000 was an SCCA Solo2 national champion car.

There is a race prepped RX7 that comes to most of the SD Chapter events, and it kicks ass!!!!! But you know what, there is an amazing driver in a '91 Civic Si with a basically stock engine (just bolt ons) that wins the STS class and has been the fastest car out there more than once except for the shifter karts! All I am saying is that you can't say that the NSX is inferior because it doesn't do well at an autox event compared to the RX7. That is just silly. The RX7 may be a better real race track car, but you shouldn't argue that based on your knowledge of how they perform at an autox, which is a totally different animal.

Before you twist my words... I was mearly responding to Wingz comment about all FDs are just for shows and that they break down. SCCA solo was just an example that they aren't just for shows.. being only topping out at 65MPH or not.

I've also seen several NSXs that are purely show purpose but I'm not generalizing and saying they ALL are. And also I know more NSX owners who still relying on Acura dealership than doing work themselves...

Bottomline, this is an endless debate in which we all don't want to think what we have is inferior.

Suprisely how many people have had both RX7 and NSX.
I made my decision to go from a stock 93 RX7 with 30K miles to my first 91 NSX with 120K miles two years ago(that's why my screen name is rx7tonsx).
For a simple reason. I reather spend money on make NSX nicely than spend money on fixing problems on RX7 later.
However, my ex-RX7 is on my friend's hand with 70K, 20K miles a year he put on it. Still runs like new, only reason I believe is he took care of the RX7, no major modification, not even exhaust.
Both of them can be reliable I believe, just the NSX is easier to take care of.
I am on my second NSX now a 92 with 50K miles.
Stock NSX does feel slower than stock RX7, but that's should be just the feeling because of turbo. I also have a complete stock Supra TT 6spd now, it also feels faster than my NSX. Turbo Cars always feel fast when turbos kick in.
The way NSX drives just in a different class though, it is the highest price Japanese sports car when new and it built to compare to European high end sports rather than Supra, RX7 or Skyline GTR.
NSX, RX7, Supra.. are all the world class sports cars, they are all very very nice. NSX is just one on the top, sometimes the best thing doens't need an reason.
Cheers!

Here's an interesting video about the high speed handling characterics of the Rx-7. http://www.spdkilz.org/Video-Audio/Car%20Videos/Mazda/RX7%20at%20215.wmv

That's the video of the www.racingbeat.com going for early attempts at land speed records.

I think it flipped at 205MPH.

Later on they took (and I think they still have the record) 1995 Bonneville Salt Flats Speed Record 2 Miles @ 242 MPH

To my knowledge no NSXs got close to that.

Honda had to rely on a F1 V-10 car to beat the FD....

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/21/honda-f1-sets-land-speed-records-at-bonneville/

I own both, love both. Both are stock with only suspension mods, both are dealer maintained except oil changes. Just for fun, I'll add up the receipts to determine which is the more maintenance heavy car. Both have 130k miles, and honestly, the rx7 is holding together a little better in my opinion. The stereo is not sounding too great on the nsx, the a/c is barely working, and the bolster is so worn its getting pretty ugly. My rx7 has some interior panels shaking loose.

The rx7 has had more "problems", but the NSX service visits feel expensive. My gut tells me the NSX was more expensive through the years, tb service, expensive clutch, etc etc. Rx7 was repeated vacuum hose issues, and cooling issues. Both cars have had 1 clutch, both have had some degree of warranty work, NSX more major, as this car was a snap-ring car. Rx7 was fuel lines. Anywhoo, when I get a chance I'll add up the receipts.

As for driving them, they are both awesome. I like the city feel of the rx7, torquey, lighter steering, smaller car... I like the high speed stability of the nsx and the better gas mileage is a huge plus.

Bunta,

Good points.... even though many die-hard NSX guys (like Supra owners) may refuse to believe that the NSX is reliable.

Jeffshoots have had an engine failure in the NSX in another post.

Sure the FD is lower, on average in reliability, but the repairs are usually cheaper.

RX7,350Z,and Supra are typical japanese sports cars.The NSX is the most non-japanese japanese sports car ever made.I feel NSX is in Porsche league in terms of build quality and prestige.I have owned several late model 911 porsches and find the overall driving experience of the NSX to favorably compare to 911,even if the NSX is a little slower.RX7 is in a different league even if it is as fast as an NSX.RX7 was a great bang for the buck car in its day.NSX was never a great bang for the buck car.

Bunta,

Good points.... even though many die-hard NSX guys (like Supra owners) may refuse to believe that the NSX is reliable.

Jeffshoots have had an engine failure in the NSX in another post.

Sure the FD is lower, on average in reliability, but the repairs are usually cheaper.

Just keep saying it buddy I'm sure we'll believe you sooner or later:wink:

That is a horrible time for the NSX.

A decent driver can run an 8.9 or better with a stock 91.

I have a hard time seeing that... high 8's in a stock 91 is a tough order to fill.

Being a former NSX owner (and soon to be have another), the NSX is not a drag car and never was meant to be one.... its meant for the track.

The entire car would have to be reconfigured for drag racing..... suspension, tires (drag slicks) transmission, many engine mods.....and a super stiff clutch to pull a 8.9 on the 1/4....

I would love to see someone do it though.

I have a hard time seeing that... high 8's in a stock 91 is a tough order to fill.

Being a former NSX owner (and soon to be have another), the NSX is not a drag car and never was meant to be one.... its meant for the track.

The entire car would have to be reconfigured for drag racing..... suspension, tires (drag slicks) transmission, many engine mods.....and a super stiff clutch to pull a 8.9 on the 1/4....

I think they're talking 1/8 mile.

LOL I can just picture an NSX with a jacked up rear end and some big ole slicks:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually it doesn't take that much. Lovefab makes a 500-700hp ( your choice )turbo kit for the NSX that's extremely reliable as does Factor X. I've seen vids of those guys beating modded Vipers and other cars so it is an area where quite a few people have looked into If FI is what you want to do.

LOL I can just picture an NSX with a jacked up rear end and some big ole slicks:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually it doesn't take that much. Lovefab makes a 500-700hp ( your choice )turbo kit for the NSX that's extremely reliable as does Factor X. I've seen vids of those guys beating modded Vipers and other cars so it is an area where quite a few people have looked into If FI is what you want to do.

You mean like this? lol

saruwatari.jpg

DSCF0305.jpg

p58667_large+Acura_NSX_Dragcar+Rear_Corner_Low.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Back