• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs The Rest of The World

So far, it's NSX 1, TRTW 0 in our search for our next car.

I examined the latest Corvettes today. The C6 in plain Jane form as a coupe with only 430hp, and a Z06 with something ridiculous like 550 or 600 hp. I lost count, they went by so fast.

The cockpit. My notes include the word 'snug' four times I see. Never tight, but... Well, like this: Picture the best-fitting suit (or as your needs dictate, little black dress) that you ever owned. Drapes well there, fits here like a second skin, and... well, you remember. Picture it again, feel it... Now would you wear that every day on all occasions? Would you do the laundry in it? Would you neck in it?

That's how the C6 felt to me. Fit like a glove, but I don't wear gloves on all occasions. I need a little more breathing room when I'm not on a race track. I could not quite duplicate the sensation by putting recaro race seats in an NSX. The NSX always feels like you're in a fighter cockpit. (Speaking as a pilot who's flown jets, not just a reader of marketing literature.) Visibility everywhere, excellent sight lines and lots of other things you take for granted if you never get in other cars. Notably, your arms as well as your eyes are free to move around as necessary to operate this, check that, and so forth.

The Corvette felt like I was strapped in a well-fitted seat, but then they lowered the seat four inches too far and put bolsters under each arm so they had limited motion. Not uncomfortable precisely, but. Not claustrophobic either, but definitely trending in that direction. A good cockpit design makes you feel like you're out there in open air and you just happen to have 40,000 pounds of jet strapped to your butt. Or uh... 1400 kg of fast aluminum.

Of course, you must allow for my being six feet and 200 pounds. Someone like Cindy at five feet and 100 pounds would not find the Corvette fitting so well, but she might find it claustrophic. You don't move around in it is what I'm trying to convey. In terms of fit, I wouldn't mind having it as a special occasion car, but of course for that purpose the bottom line is what my doctor said: "Well, when all is said and done, it's just a Corvette." So how special is the occasion going to be made to feel? For such purposes an over-used but well-polished Ferrari meets the need. Cheap, but looks fine. The rest of the time drive a silver Festiva. For the track, get a Formula Ford which will blow off a Corvette any time. (Mine did 0-80 in 4 seconds. Or less, depending on how it was geared for a particular track.)

In engineering terms instead of emotional, the C6 feels very tight, like they finished putting it together, which could not be said of the earlier models I've driven. With those, you kept wondering whether that odd rattle might be some extra parts they hadn't time to bolt on, so they tossed them in the trunk. The trunk you couldn't find, so they must have forgotten and sewn it shut.

Of course, this one had less than two hundred miles on it, but even one so young was not this well put together in the old days. Good point in its favor, though not a stand up and cheer sort of thing since our NSX at 145,000 miles felt the same way.

Very muscular of course. Just what you expect of a big healthy V8. Gobs of torque from idle up. The NSX is much more torquey down low than other exotics, but it doesn't really come to the party until you hit about four thousand and it wakes up at five and roars like a T-Rex who just found out about this sex business that the mammals have been keeping secret. This car with the smaller coupe engine still has twice the displacement. That great hulking V8 rumbles and mutters like a bear from idle on. Doesn't make it faster, since no one chases a lap time using low rpm. Just a difference in personality. I'm not sure Cindy would enjoy riding in a car that is like sitting on a subwoofer. I'm not sure I would. Not absent the overriding sensation of being behind the wheel of a monster fast car. This was especially the case with the Z06. It is what we used to call a stoplight delight. Pull up to any light on the boulevard and everybody for a hundred yards knows a Vette is sitting there without looking. Some of them hold their breath feeling the exhaust in their rib cage and their bowel and waiting for the inevitable burn-out. Great fun. Once in a while. Not in a daily driver though.

It boils down to this. Given a choice of one of the low mileage NSX's on offer or a new Corvette with a virgin warranty certificate, I would take the NSX. Not an indictment of the Corvette, which I'd recommend to many people with different needs. Just the balance of trade-offs in our life.

One down, three to go. (Well, seven if we count all three models of Porsche and two of Audi, which is arguable.)

...The NSX is much more torquey down low than other exotics, but it doesn't really come to the party until you hit about four thousand and it wakes up at five and roars like a T-Rex who just found out about this sex business that the mammals have been keeping secret. .....

Really?

Compared to my GTO or FD I didn't feel much TQ. Power was more linear than flat, so perhaps it didn't feel that Torquey off the line.

But of course, if u compare it to lesser cars, then maybe.

To me it felt like a 355 'vert F1 that I drove years ago. Sorta meh.

BTW, what sorta jets did u fly?

My old man flew a bunch including the F104G, which he was an instructor for as well.......

Really?

Compared to my GTO or FD I didn't feel much TQ. Power was more linear than flat, so perhaps it didn't feel that Torquey off the line.

But of course, if u compare it to lesser cars, then maybe.

To me it felt like a 355 'vert F1 that I drove years ago. Sorta meh.

BTW, what sorta jets did u fly?

My old man flew a bunch including the F104G, which he was an instructor for as well.......

Oh boy, Captain Negativity is back...

First, neither your Grand Am with a big engine, nor your Mazda with it's very own self destructing engine, are exotics. Second, why, why, why? Please just go sell your NSX that you clearly hate and move on from here. We look our slow piles of aluminum and I think I speak for many of us here, we're tired of your vitriolic posts. Didn't your parents ever teach you the adage that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.

A bit much Corvette bashing for my taste...but I agree w/ many of your observations. As an instructor for HPDE's, I've had the opportunity to ride along or drive many cars, most recently the GT-R (sadly as passenger only in that one). The best thing about the NSX is the seating position and the view, second best is the intake growl right behind your head. I've not yet driven a ZR-1 but I did find the performance of the new Z-06 exhilirating. The seating position not so much...
The NSX is a great car that always impressed me more than it's mere 290 horses should.:biggrin:

Last edited:

First, neither your Grand Am with a big engine, nor your Mazda with it's very own self destructing engine, are exotics. Second, why, why, why? Please just go sell your NSX that you clearly hate and move on from here. We look our slow piles of aluminum and I think I speak for many of us here, we're tired of your vitriolic posts. Didn't your parents ever teach you the adage that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.

Daaaangggg! :tongue::biggrin:

bitchslap.jpg

ostrich_head_in_ground_full.jpg

That is about exactly how I feel about the Vette. I have had a chance to be in a ZR-1 and scary is more the word to use. I walked away from that car thinking, wow, its super fast, stops awesome, has a big trunk and..... and..... yea that is all I had to say.

A bit much Corvette bashing for my taste...but I agree w/ many of your observations. As an instructor for HPDE's, I've had the opportunity to ride along or drive many cars, most recently the GT-R (sadly as passenger only in that one). The best thing about the NSX is the seating position and the view, second best is the intake growl right behind your head. I've not yet driven a ZR-1 but I did find the performance of the new Z-06 exhilirating. The seating position not so much...
The NSX is a great car that always impressed me more than it's mere 290 horses should.:biggrin:

+1, It is very hard to fault the new vette for the money. Not sure how you can say the NSX is torquey after drving the new LS3 Vette. I have gotten a ride in one and was very surprised at how much power and torque it had. The engine really is amazing. As for the rumble in the stock vette I am not sure I follow. With the actuator adjustable exhaust it is very quiet at idle but gets mean above 3kish. I am not a Vette fanboy but I have to say that Chevy did a bang up job on the 08+.

Last edited:
I love the new prime with batmans on my ignore list ......so nice....:wink:

I love the new prime with batmans on my ignore list ......so nice....:wink:

What level of patronage unlocks the ignore functionality?

C'mon now, seriously. You know what you are going to get with BATMANs as soon as you see the BatSignal. If you don't want to hear it, change the channel or in this case just move on to the next post. Kinda like Rush Limbaugh, I know as soon as I see a post pretty much what follows so I take it in for entertainment value. It's not like I birthed my NSX after all.

Besides, resistance is futile...

I have always owned a Corvette....C3. C5 and C6 (four total).

I sold my second C6 to buy an NSX. Haven't looked back ever since!

The Corvette is a luxurious car with lots of power, lots of toys, etc. Very nice!

The NSX is an exotic, jet cockpit, in your face, 'what was that,' type of ride. I absolutely love it!

LOL OMG that block thing is funny LOL

I have always owned a Corvette....C3. C5 and C6 (four total).

I sold my second C6 to buy an NSX. Haven't looked back ever since!

The Corvette is a luxurious car with lots of power, lots of toys, etc. Very nice!

The NSX is an exotic, jet cockpit, in your face, 'what was that,' type of ride. I absolutely love it!

I never thought of the Corvette as a luxurious car (at least not more than a NSX). What do you mean by luxurious? Are you talking about GPS, HUD, etc.?

.....C'mon now, seriously. You know what you are going to get with BATMANs as soon as you see the BatSignal. If you don't want to hear it, change the channel or in this case just move on to the next post. Kinda like Rush Limbaugh, I know as soon as I see a post pretty much what follows so I take it in for entertainment value. It's not like I birthed my NSX after all.

Besides, resistance is futile...

Most people (the smarter ones) adopt your measures and policies.....

I really didn't see what was so offensive at Batman's original comment. What he said is absolutely true.

I still prefer my Mazda and its "self destructing engine" over my NSX, but they are completely different cars. The FD is more like the Vette that simsgw was talking about in the sense that it fits like a glove. The whole car feels like an extension of your body and is perfectly suited for the track. The NSX with its superior comfort, room, and driveability make it perfect for the street. They each have their purpose in my book and that is why I have no intention of getting rid of either.

The FD bashing that always goes around does get a bit annoying though, but people tend to dislike what they don't fully understand. The NSX owner arrogance gets annoying too.

Well Batman, at least you know you are loved by some and passed on by others but you are always controversial and I enjoy hearing from you even though many times I know what I'm about to get but I like all of this stuff. We have a group of characters on this site and that's what makes it so much fun and keeps things interesting. Lots of threads and chatter all the time and more stuff to look at than you can shake a stick at.

I just really enjoy all this stuff and I get lots of laughs too - it's just crazy dudes.:biggrin: Makes me wanna go and drive my car to lunch just thinking about the NSX. Of course it's a nice sunny day here in Atlanta and I drove THE CAR in today!:wink:

Well Batman, at least you know you are loved by some and passed on by others but you are always controversial and I enjoy hearing from you even though many times I know what I'm about to get but I like all of this stuff. We have a group of characters on this site and that's what makes it so much fun and keeps things interesting. Lots of threads and chatter all the time and more stuff to look at than you can shake a stick at.

I just really enjoy all this stuff and I get lots of laughs too - it's just crazy dudes.:biggrin: Makes me wanna go and drive my car to lunch just thinking about the NSX. Of course it's a nice sunny day here in Atlanta and I drove THE CAR in today!:wink:

Not everyone shares your good attitude.

There are a few that are a bit sensitive and forget that this is just the internet.

And yes, I am this man on NSX Prime, since most of his listeners are people that really don't like him but can't resist to see what sorta stuff he'll spew out.

howardstern.jpg

I have my legacy on the RX7 forums as well when I had a FD. Some of the folks on there say that I speak what people are afraid to say for PC reasons or fear of retribution.

Of course the RX7 forum mods tend to be more tolerant and there was even threads about race relations debating on whether or not whites should give $$$ for so many years of slavery. The other hot topic was religon.

On the GTO forums I don't cause much ruckus since a lot of the guys are pretty funny, think very objectively (as oppose to all FD are just plain crap cuz the engine blow up, blah blah blah), not very ignorant, and very technical.

Last edited:
Back