• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX2S2K - S2000 Instrument Cluster Conversion Kit

I have a 91 so I'm good!

I have this shift light that I considered taking apart and locating the led lights in s2k cluster somewhere. Or perhaps a shift light like the green/red type R.

Well for now I'll try. Worse case I get the Qube overlay so I can clearly identify when engine is in 6k-7k-8k-redline

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/174828-Really-cool-shift-light-GB-only-need-3-people

Amen on the shift light....... I didn't need it when the NSX was in stock form.... but with almost double the power I need it.

I got my kit. As good as it looks in the pictures, it looks even better in person. Absolutely gorgeous. I was able to do the minimal necessary modifications on the S2000 cluster for it to fit. I got lazy and didn't go for the "flush" look. So instead, I have a extra 2mm bezel around the trim of the cluster. All the provided parts fit perfectly and the instructional videos are very straight forward.

I will be installing this on my car soon and will get more pics.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

Last edited:
.and when you are done you have a nice piece of carry on luggage to boot:biggrin:

That is really cool. I'm glad so many vendors continue to innovate quality solutions for our niche car!

Very clean setup. Is there a way to have the cluster match the NSX rev limit? I prefer the AP1 cluster. Also, can mileage be adjusted to match?<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:104%!important;}</style>

Wow epic... really curious to see some installed pics in member cars and interested myself if there is a kit released for new cars...

Kudos to the OP, amazing work.

I got my kit. As good as it looks in the pictures, it looks even better in person. Absolutely gorgeous. I was able to do the minimal necessary modifications on the S2000 cluster for it to fit. I got lazy and didn't go for the "flush" look. So instead, I have a extra 2mm bezel around the trim of the cluster. All the provided parts fit perfectly and the instructional videos are very straight forward.

I will be installing this on my car soon and will get more pics.

:biggrin:

That's great, thank you dablackgoku1234! I'm glad everything went smoothly with the shipment. Looking forward to more pics when you got it installed.

One note, it appears you have left the black garnish on the S2K cluster. I recommend removing this for the installation as it pushes the cluster 1-2 mm away from the trim plate and thereby taking up 1-2 mm extra space. Now, a couple of mm doesn't sound much, but it's a real squeeze as it is already since there isn't much space in the NSX for this to sit. The removal of this garnish is featured from 0:49 to 1:29 in the #3 video. However you can try to see how it works out first.

.and when you are done you have a nice piece of carry on luggage to boot:biggrin:

Yes! :smile: Just reorganize the foam pieces and you got yourself a nice little case for action cameras or other equipment.

That is really cool. I'm glad so many vendors continue to innovate quality solutions for our niche car!

Thank you xsn. It's my pleasure, I've enjoyed the product development phase and learned a lot of new things. I recommend all who have ideas to take the step and make it real. Especially things for the NSX

Mine will ship out tomorrow to Johan for some extra love and attention! Haha

I've got my soldering iron and Dremel ready! Bring it! :smile:

Very clean setup. Is there a way to have the cluster match the NSX rev limit? I prefer the AP1 cluster. Also, can mileage be adjusted to match?<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:104%!important;}</style>

Thank you WhiskeyThrottle, the USDM AP2 version already have the 8000 rpm rev limit. If you want the AP1 cluster (I really like the tacho on that one) you can check out the Qube LED upgrades, they offer a LED strip with custom rev limits and other custom color combinations.

I also offer a mileage reprogramming service to match the odometer of the new cluster to your vehicle.

Wow epic... really curious to see some installed pics in member cars and interested myself if there is a kit released for new cars...

Kudos to the OP, amazing work.

Thank you for the kind words jasonturbo! I've noted your interest in a version for the newer years.

Best regards,

- - - Updated - - -

Amen on the shift light....... I didn't need it when the NSX was in stock form.... but with almost double the power I need it.

On a geared or boosted car it comes on quick!

I have been contacted by other people asking about a shift light functionality. I too can see the need considering tuned engines which rev faster than the stock engine. This is possible to do and I see it natural to include this type of functionality in the R&D pipeline for my product, considering the interest. However I'd be glad for some input on the best approach. So far I've thought of three different approaches:

1. Just include a break-out wire for the tacho signal - ready to plug in into aftermarket shift lights and rev counters
  2. Shift-light functionality of existing lights in the S2K cluster (Both turn indicators? Immobilizer light? Ideas?)
  3. New shift-light functionality using in-house developed external LED strips integrated into the trim plate (Dual LED strips on both sides of the cluster? Above the tacho? Single red color or multiple colors? "Staircase" design like yellow-red-blink or should all LED's blink?)

What do you think would be the best way?

Best regards,

Inspired on this:

iq3dash_no_reflection.jpg

something like this???:

DSC00108%201_zpsbfeqpmka.jpg

I also think that a oil pressure gauge would be very desirable... but it should look like the OEM S2000 gauge setup for the oil temperature...

like this for AP1:

AP1%20ECT%20Celsius_zpstn1a1m1e.png

and like this for AP2:

AP2%20ECT%20Celcius_zps8qmmotxw.jpg

But i guess the oil pressure upgrade could be me dreaming! :biggrin:

I have been contacted by other people asking about a shift light functionality. I too can see the need considering tuned engines which rev faster than the stock engine. This is possible to do and I see it natural to include this type of functionality in the R&D pipeline for my product, considering the interest. However I'd be glad for some input on the best approach. So far I've thought of three different approaches:

1. Just include a break-out wire for the tacho signal - ready to plug in into aftermarket shift lights and rev counters
  2. Shift-light functionality of existing lights in the S2K cluster (Both turn indicators? Immobilizer light? Ideas?)
  3. New shift-light functionality using in-house developed external LED strips integrated into the trim plate (Dual LED strips on both sides of the cluster? Above the tacho? Single red color or multiple colors? "Staircase" design like yellow-red-blink or should all LED's blink?)

Best regards,

Last edited:
I just want to clarify some important details with the extra break-out wires that is connected to my harness. The red one on the right side (A-unit side) is an optional wire that can be connected to a 12 volt source, but it must be a fused one. This is to feed the instrument cluster with power when your car is turned off, so to keep the clock working together with the KMH/MPH setting, and dimming setting. Note that this is not required for the cluster to work. If this wire is not connected, each S2K cluster will default it's KMH/MPH setting to it's region, meaning that clusters pulled from vehicles sold in the US will default to MPH. (On some clusters, like the EDM/JDM AP1, this button is disabled, but I can enable it via software at the same time as I reprogram the odometer).

One simple alternative is to make a T-connection to the white/yellow (WHT/YEL) wire that goes to the NSX clock in your dashboard (see page 23-224 in 1991 NSX Service Manual or page 23-233 in the 1997-2005 NSX Service Manual), this is what I did. Note that the color coding for your vehicle year might be different. Simple to measure though, should be 12 volt when the car is turned off with key out. The other alternative, which I haven't explored, is to crimp a spade connector and run this into an unused (fused) source in any of the fuse boxes. NEVER EVER connect any wires directly to the battery without a fuse. Cars have burned down for less. Safety is important.

The black/red/green ones on the left side (B-unit side) are ground (GND), switched +12 volt and the oil pressure signal, respectively. The ground and 12 volt wires as meant to power an external voltage meter and an external oil pressure meter. Meant only for low-current applications, not like audio head units or similar which are high-current applications. The oil pressure signals connects directly to an oil pressure meter to provide the signal from the cars oil pressure sensor. All of these three wires are also optional and not required for the cluster to work.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Some pictures of the kit installed onto my car. With the extra 1-2mm bezel the cluster was still able to fit. As mentioned, the fit is very snug. I have not driven the car yet since it is snowing up here in Canada, but I was able to power it up and test simple functions like signalling, opening doors/trunks, etc. Everything is working!

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

Inspired on this:
- pic removed -

something like this???:
- pic removed -

I also think that a oil pressure gauge would be very desirable... but it should look like the OEM S2000 gauge setup for the oil temperature...
- pic removed -

like this for AP1:
- pic removed -

and like this for AP2:
- pic removed -

Thanks for the inspiration BBVNSX, I was looking at that solution previously. I find it fairly attractive and does the job of notifying the driver about shifting quite effectively, I would go for this approach personally however it might be "too much" for some people. Maybe only two, slightly larger red LED's on each side that blinks when it's time to shift? I also think it's a good idea to provide the users with the possiblity to program the rpm level at which the lights should be engaged. Interested to hear more what people think.

That kind of oil pressure meter would be nice! I'm not excluding the possiblity for the future to do this. The challenge lies in calibrating to a good known standard.

Some pictures of the kit installed onto my car. With the extra 1-2mm bezel the cluster was still able to fit. As mentioned, the fit is very snug. I have not driven the car yet since it is snowing up here in Canada, but I was able to power it up and test simple functions like signalling, opening doors/trunks, etc. Everything is working!
- pics removed -

Looks super! I'm glad everything fitted despite the extra millimeters. That is good to know. Now you just need to drive off a couple of gallons of gas so you can do the fuel calibration :smile:

​Best regards,

@Johan@SjoebergDP that's exactly why I wanted the flat black aluminum faceplate. [MENTION=14824]BBVNSX[/MENTION] nailed it with the shiftlight implementation along the sides. It's exactly how I had pictured doing this. However, thinking about this more... I like the clean look and I try not to clutter up my car too much. With this in mind, i'm going to try the stock S2k cluster first and the stock redline functionality.

If you're going thru the effort of redesigning the shift light operation on the S2k cluster.. what I like to see is the entire rpm band light up when close or at redline. not just the last 1000 rpm. See youtube videos on the Ferraris or the Huracan.

btw.. my s2k cluster was shipped today :)
Inspired on this:

iq3dash_no_reflection.jpg

something like this???:

DSC00108%201_zpsbfeqpmka.jpg

like this for AP1:

AP1%20ECT%20Celsius_zpstn1a1m1e.png

and like this for AP2:

AP2%20ECT%20Celcius_zps8qmmotxw.jpg

@Johan@SjoebergDP that's exactly why I wanted the flat black aluminum faceplate. @BBVNSX nailed it with the shiftlight implementation along the sides. It's exactly how I had pictured doing this. However, thinking about this more... I like the clean look and I try not to clutter up my car too much. With this in mind, i'm going to try the stock S2k cluster first and the stock redline functionality.

If you're going thru the effort of redesigning the shift light operation on the S2k cluster.. what I like to see is the entire rpm band light up when close or at redline. not just the last 1000 rpm. See youtube videos on the Ferraris or the Huracan.

btw.. my s2k cluster was shipped today :)

"Hope is not lost today. It is found"

Found this on youtube when looking for inspiration. This is possible to do with an RGB LED conversion and a controller. You can change color of individual LED's based on any input, make things blink etc. Anything is possible. Check from 0:30 and forward.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0HC9I_25NHA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Found the company that is working with this, apparently a work-in-progress:
http://www.rndfactory.com/Web/INSTRUCTIONS-HONDA-S2000.html

Best regards,

Last edited:
In for 1996 compatible kit

Noted! Thanks for the interest. I'm going through the finishing touches of the design and functionality with the first 3 test drivers, I want all the details cleared and everything working perfectly before I release more kits and before I develop versions compatible with all the years. Hang in there.

Best regards,

......I have been contacted by other people asking about a shift light functionality. I too can see the need considering tuned engines which rev faster than the stock engine. This is possible to do and I see it natural to include this type of functionality in the R&D pipeline for my product, considering the interest. However I'd be glad for some input on the best approach. So far I've thought of three different approaches:

Best regards,

So in my GTO I have a shift light and a buzzer from the factory. All of the gauge lights will get brighter as you get towards redline. The point where the shift light/buzzer goes off can be adjusted based on your reaction and power levels. In other words if you have more power like some forced induction you can have light/buzzer go off at about 1000 RPM below redline.

Is that light left of the high beam indicator on the AP2 the shift light?

Can you make the entire RPM lights blink and/or change color towards redline?

So in my GTO I have a shift light and a buzzer from the factory. All of the gauge lights will get brighter as you get towards redline. The point where the shift light/buzzer goes off can be adjusted based on your reaction and power levels. In other words if you have more power like some forced induction you can have light/buzzer go off at about 1000 RPM below redline.

Is that light left of the high beam indicator on the AP2 the shift light?

Can you make the entire RPM lights blink and/or change color towards redline?

Understood on the shift light mechanism for the GTO, checked some youtube clips of this. The little red/orange light to the left of the high beam indicator is the so called "security light". I'm using it currently as a TCS light, as the S2K instrument cluster doesn't have a dedicated TCS light. In the AP1 I'm using the green key light, the immobilizer light, for the TCS.

I could remap and implement a shift light function for the security light/immobilizer light, it's just a matter of investing a bunch of engineering hours into this. I would have to redesign one of the circuit boards, maybe implement another controller circuit and build the software which should be programmable in terms of setting the preferred rpm level. It's not done in a day, but if there is enough interest in this I could place this in the R&D pipeline eventually. This would represent a modest/suttle design approach for a shift light functionality. However you would either loose the TCS light functionality, or have the light mapped to both the TCS and the shift light functionality.

My personal preference would be to look at a RGB LED conversion and have a controller flash/change color of the LED's in the RPM strip, or all the LED's in the cluster. Have a look at the Youtube video I posted in post # 68. This would be a bit more expensive to do, and a bit more invasive and would represent a more bold design approach. Cost wise it would probably be in the hundreds instead of a couple of tens as for the security/immobilizer light but it's doable, as evidence in the youtube video shows. I'm not currently marketing or developing such a solution, but again given enough interest...

Last edited:
Back