• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX2S2K - S2000 Instrument Cluster Conversion Kit

An update on the progress

Firstly, thank you everyone for your patience. I know 'm taking my time with this but it's important to get every detail perfect. Quality before quantity.

During the last couple of weeks I have had the pleasure of getting some constructive feedback from the first three beta testers of Revision XP9/XP8 of the product. Big thanks to RYO, dablackgoku1234 and JRZ for your highly valuable input! Based on their feedback I've updated the product backlog with the following functionalities that are not supported in XP9/XP8:

1. The built-in "Nighttime light mode"
  2. TCS Indication light
  3. TCS Activation light
  4. BRAKE LAMP light
  5. Headlight retractor light
  6. EPS light
  7. Tacho signal break out wire
I am now developing Revision XP10/XP9 which I will test out with the current beta testers that will include these functionalities. I already have a working prototype in my electronics lab. During this developing process I will be selling out my small stock of the current revision at a reduced price.These units will be retrofitted with #1 and #6 before going on sale. I'll let you know when they are available. Detailed explanation of the new features below.

Nighttime light mode
This is an important built-in feature of the S2K instrument clusters. When activated it will dim down the backlights significantly, and lights up the letters on the front face. In the S2000 this mode is activated whenever the headlights are turned on. This will be the same in the NSX, being activated when the driver sets the Light switch to either position 1 or 2. This mode can then be manually exited by pressing and holding the "+" button on the instrument cluster, and re-enabled by pressing the "-" button. Will be retrofitted to XP9/XP8 revisions and will be a native feature of XP10/XP9.

TCS Indication light and TCS Activation light
The NSX original instrument cluster holds three different lights for the traction control system. See figure below.

attachment.php

The TCS Indication light lights up when the TCS control unit detects a fault in the TCS and is also used for blinking TCS error codes. The TCS Activation light blinks whenever the TCS system is activated and intervenes by reducing the throttle position. The third one, the TCS Off light, lights up whenever the driver has manually disengaged the TCS system by pressing the TCS button. Only the third light is supported in XP9/XP8. All three will be supported in XP10/XP9 by being mapped to the same single light in the S2K instrument clustor (AP2: Safety indicator, AP1: Immobilizer light)

BRAKE LAMP light and Headlight retractor light
The so called "Safety indicator" in the NSX holds 6 lights indicating things like open doors, open trunk, open engine hatch, damaged headlight retractor mechanism and broken taillight bulbs. Se figure below:
attachment.php

The retractor mechanism light (light blue) and the BRAKE LAMP (red) are not supported in the XP9/XP8 but will be in XP10/XP9. The retractor mechanism light will be mapped to the High beam light, and the BRAKE LAMP will be mapped to the Brake light.

EPS light
The Electronic Power Steering indicator light lights up whenever there is a malfunction in this system. Only applies to automatic transmission models in the 1991-1994 range which is the range which is currently supported. Will be retrofitted to XP9/XP8 revisions and will be a native feature of XP10/XP9.

Tacho signal break out wire
There have been discussions on implementing support for a shift light functionality. For now, the XP10/XP9 revisions will feature an extra wire carrying the NSX tacho signal which can easily be hooked up to most external aftermarket shift lights.

Best regards,

Attachments

• tcs.JPG
    tcs.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,153
  • safety.JPG
    safety.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,148
I was on the fence about this mod, but after seeing ryu' s video I am really gaining interest in this. I love how you made everything plug and play. Which can be totally reversible. Once again, what an outstanding job and accomplishment!

I was on the fence about this mod, but after seeing ryu' s video I am really gaining interest in this. I love how you made everything plug and play. Which can be totally reversible. Once again, what an outstanding job and accomplishment!

Thank you Jinks, I appreciate your nice comments. From my perspective as both an NSX owner and a vendor I would consider any modification which could be Plug & Play and reversible, but is not, a result of not investing the proper amount of effort. A properly engineered and designed solution regardless of type and purpose is really what the NSX is all about.

I'm giving this product my all so to give it a chance of reaching that level of performance.

Best regards,

1. Ravalous.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Ravalous.

I am ready for the current revision XP9/XP8 . Add me to the list. Thank you.

Regards
Ravi

Last edited:
1. Ravalous.I am ready for the current revision XP9/XP8 . Add me to the list. Thank you.RegardsRavi

Whoahh! Don't get ahead of yourself now, I haven't released any more kits yet! :wink:

Best regards,

Last edited:
--| Releasing three AP1 kits! |--
--| $299 |--

1. Ravalous

Revision XP9/XP8, meaning no support for TCS Indicator light, TCS activation light, BRAKE LAMP, Headlight Retractor light and no break out tacho wire.

Best regards,

I am ready. Thank you Johan.

Ravi

Ok, adding people in the order they contacted me with a definitive answer after I posted that more kits was released. If you missed out on this, don't worry, more kits will be released with the new revision.

1. Ravalous
2. OQQO
3. 5:04

Best regards,

--| Releasing two Model 14b kits! (AP2 only, XP9/XP8) |--
--| $299 |--

Hi!

While I continue with the development of the new revision of my product (XP10/XP9) I'll gradually empty my small stock of remaining kits of the older revision (XP9/XP8) at a discounted price. These will be retrofitted with the Night mode and EPS light functionality, but features no support for TCS Indicator light, TCS activation light, BRAKE LAMP, Headlight Retractor light and no break out tacho wire.

First come, first serve on these.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Hello Johan,

Do you have any AP2 clusters available?

Thanks,
Chad

Hi Ch@d,

customers have to source their own instrument clusters. I would suggest starting with Ebay and the S2KI forums. Just make sure you don't get the 2006+ year ones, as they are not supported.

2000-2003 (AP1) and 2004-2005 (AP2) are currently supported. See my first post for all the details.

Best regards,

- - - Updated - - -

1. EdiddyNSX

Hello Johan,

Please out me down for Ap2

Hi Ch@d,

customers have to source their own instrument clusters. I would suggest starting with Ebay and the S2KI forums. Just make sure you don't get the 2006+ year ones, as they are not supported.

2000-2003 (AP1) and 2004-2005 (AP2) are currently supported. See my first post for all the details.

Best regards,

- - - Updated - - -

1. EdiddyNSX

Been waiting patiently for this point in development.
I'm in for 2nd version.
also interested in shift light/warning.

Just a follow up...... I had this great update installed last week by a tradesman Auto Electrician.
He was totally impressed with the quality and ease of installation and he felt the info videos were invaluable......about 5 hours for install , including trimming the cluster plate and calibration.

Today I attended an All Japanese vehicle display with over 500 cars and the consensus was a big thumbs up approval for my car and the new cluster. The rarity of an NSX ( I was the only one there) in Australia had some younger visitors remarking on this being the first they had seen "in the flesh"

I can heartily endorse this conversion..... it's a modern update and still true to the Honda marque...... Brilliant, Johan

Hi, EdiddyNSX was the first to order and he actually got both these kits.

1. EdiddyNSX No. 1
EdiddyNSX No. 2

No worries though, more kits will be available soon.

Best regards,

- - - Updated - - -

Been waiting patiently for this point in development.
I'm in for 2nd version.
also interested in shift light/warning.

Hi OKI-BOY, 2nd version available soon! I'm going to run the first batch through the 3 beta testers before though. But I have noted your interest, I'll get back to you. Thank you for your patience!

Just a follow up...... I had this great update installed last week by a tradesman Auto Electrician.
He was totally impressed with the quality and ease of installation and he felt the info videos were invaluable......about 5 hours for install , including trimming the cluster plate and calibration.

Today I attended an All Japanese vehicle display with over 500 cars and the consensus was a big thumbs up approval for my car and the new cluster. The rarity of an NSX ( I was the only one there) in Australia had some younger visitors remarking on this being the first they had seen "in the flesh"

I can heartily endorse this conversion..... it's a modern update and still true to the Honda marque...... Brilliant, Johan

Excellent news! I'm glad to hear this, thank you. I hope you'll enjoy your conversion. 5 hours sounds reasonable if you haven't gone through the process before, especially given the delicate cutting and trimming procedure which is something you'd want to take your time with. I do offer a cutting/trimming service for those who'd like me to do it.

Just out of curiosity, what speedometer calibration factor did you end up with?

--| NEXT BATCH Model 14b kits! (AP2 only, XP9/XP8) |--
--| $299 |--
1. Ch@d

Thank you Ch@d for your interest! Let's not go crazy with waiting lists, I will just loose sleep over it! I'll let everyone know when I release the next batch of discounted XP9/XP8's.

Best regards,

This may seem like a silly question, but this should have no affect on cruise control function right?

Add me to the list! Thanks

Thank you NSX_GATO, I'll keep you in the loop!

This may seem like a silly question, but this should have no affect on cruise control function right?

Not a silly question at all! There are no silly questions when it comes to electronics. The cruise control function will not be affected. There is a cruise control light in the S2K instrument cluster which is supported and works in the same way as the original one.

Best regards,

- - - Updated - - -

The new XP10/XP9 revision just passed the tests in both the simulated and real NSX environment! :biggrin:

I'll be upgrading the three first beta testers for final customer testing before releasing the first commercial batch here. Thank you everyone for your enormous patience. I'm working hard on this and I look forward to be able to help everyone out with your conversions soon.

Best regards,

Back