• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO 2003 - Eleven Months and Counting Down

Hehe, funny. I also have the same car combination, but with different colors and soon-to-be different breathing methods. I've got a black NSX and a black E36 M3. Both are normally aspirated right now, but the NSX is soon to be BBSC'ed.
smile.gif

-CiaoBoy

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
Hrant, I think you got me confused with Number9....
wink.gif

I am not Ted... though he and I both have the same car combination (red NSX / white E36 M3) with the exception that both of his are supercharged and his NSX is Zanardi #9!!!

more unsolicited suggestions...

Invite Uehara-san (chief NSX designer) and some of the Japanese club members. I think they might be interested

Even better, ask Kurosawa, Kunimitsu and some of the JGTC pilots to drive us around the track. An alternative might be the Speed Channel WC or ALMS folks -- Mugen powers an LMP900 Panoz car, amongst others.

############

Include a good-enough karaoke bar in the programme, and I think you can swing it
biggrin.gif

Several Japanese NSX fans are also big fans of California wine (hint hint).

I think inviting more people(engineers, designers, race drivers) from Honda would be a good idea, even a great idea. It'd be great to see them do some sort of technical seminar. For instance, the engine teardown at NSXPO 2002 was great. Now, maybe we can get Andrew Armstice to do a technical session on how to extract more hp out of the NSX engine or get PD(or a JGTC driver, or a LeMans driver), to do a semi-driving clinic or have a Mr Uehara-san do a keynote presentation, etc. Honda participation would have to be unofficial I'm sure. But it's gotta be doable!

I agree. That's a great idea. It would be worth covering their enrollment/hotel fees as part of the invite.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Funny how we're getting suggestions from people who haven't been attending NSXPO for things we've done in past years. (And would like to repeat, of course.)

Folks, all of these are great ideas and suggestions. Some have been explored already, while others may be new and worthwhile to pursue further.

But, and for the record, an organization to put an NSXPO does not happen through e-mail posts. There is a formal NSXPO Planning Committee which was put together last January - and may I remind you after several appeals and posts for voulnteers (on these forums may I add, and some arm twisting among friends as well
wink.gif
..... I don't recognize the posts above with the volunteers I have on my lists .... am I missing something ......
confused.gif

We have an absolutely open door policy to whomever wants to help. If you have an interest in promoting an idea, or seeing a program happen, and also being responsible and accountable to follow through with deliverables, please forward them to me, or Alex Vizcarra, or Ken Sax. We will most assuredly evaluate in the scheme of things .....

Back to regular programming .....
wink.gif

I'm afraid I don't understand the last two posts.

Of course, I don't know if these posts refer to me or to someone else...but I don't understand why a simple suggestion about an upcoming NSXPO would be such a problem.

Perhaps I'm missing something but, it didn't seem that any of the suggestions were challenging any of the basic planning of the next NSXPO.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

They don't "challenge the planning of the next NSXPO". But, just for the record:

Uehara-san (chief NSX designer) attended NSXPO '98 and showed us his vast NSX memorabilia collection.

Five members of the Japanese NSX clubs attended NSXPO '99.

The RealTime Racing team drivers, including Peter Cunningham, Pierre Kleinubing, and Michael Galati, attended NSXPO '98 and NSXPO 2001 and drove folks around Mid-Ohio and Road America.

The person from American Honda who handles Technline for dealer service departments, who is the most knowledgeable person about the NSX based in North America, gave technical presentations about the NSX at NSXPO '97, NSXPO '98, NSXPO '99, and NSXPO 2000.

We would love to have these folks at every NSXPO and they know that they have an open invitation to attend.

I think people would be amazed if they knew what the "we should do this" list was like when planning NSXPO.

Of all the things you'd LIKE to do, you have to decide:

1. What you can afford to do.
2. What you can logistically do.
3. What you can get approvals for from the city (when you need them).
4. How you can schedule everything.
5. What alternate/backup you have in place for when something doesn't work out.

We had a lot of cool ideas on the plate, but couldn't schedule them with other activities, couldn't get the right people to commit, or couldn't justify the expense.

You also have to figure out:

6. How to manage the limited number of planning people's time & energy to get the maximum work done.
7. How to set expectations of committee members who don't have event planning experience.
8. When it is time to freeze the event plan and say "no" to any additional ideas.
9. How to best explain to the public why you did or didn't plan an event as part of NSXPO.

Anyone who has been a part of planning large corporate or industry events knows where I am coming from. It's really rewarding, but a lot of hard work and you have to accept that you can't please everyone all the time.

The bottom line is that you just can't do everything you think you'd like to, even though it may seem like a very easy or simple thing to do.

EDR

For the record Eric, I think you guys did a great job with NSXPO 2002. I hope you don't think any of the above posts were critical of the event or of the region's efforts. Far from it! I had a blast! There certainly wasn't any kind of demeaning implication meant.

Ken, some of us weren't fortunate to own their NSX since '98 when NSXPO started. So it's not really "funny," it's just an idea. If someone throws out an idea, don't get all bent out of shape.

In the above posts, I don't see any one who presented an idea being critical.

Hi Ponyboy,

I'm not getting bent out of shape. And if the suggestions were just coming from folks relatively new to the NSX world, it would be perfectly understandable. When they come from someone who has been to some of those previous NSXPOs, though, where the ideas supposedly being presented as new suggestions actually took place there already, well... I see irony there, that's all. In any case, it's not a big deal, let's not pick apart one sentence and blow things out of proportion. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, from long-timers as well as newbies.

BTW, NSXPO started in 1997, not 1998.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 November 2002).]

I was not aware that Honda management had attended a prior NSXPO. I guess it was a good idea.

I can understand how it's tough to put an event like an NSXPO together and I'm sure there's many suggestions and issues to deal with and balance. However, I don't think that's any reason to make people feel unwelcome to contribute.

Well, as Gilda would say...

Never mind.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 24 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
For the record Eric, I think you guys did a great job with NSXPO 2002. I hope you don't think any of the above posts were critical of the event or of the region's efforts.

Neither do I... I was just throwing out some reasons that all of the ideas people have for NSXPO don't make it into the event schedule. Trust me, if we could have kept everyone in Texas for a couple of extra days and had 3-4 more people on the event team, we could have kept everyone engaged. We had that many great ideas. It's just that some don't make the cut for various reasons.

We enjoyed hosting everyone. In some respects, I think I had a better time watching all the attendees have a great time than the attendees did themselves!

EDR

I think the Texas committee really did an excellent job. To me, success at an NSXPO means that pretty much everyone there goes home feeling like they had the time of their lives, that it was worth the time and money to be there. I gotta believe that everyone felt that way; I certainly did.

However, each NSXPO is different. It's a product of the area where it's held, and the people who do the planning. Sometimes there is a specific activity that take place because someone on the committee has an idea and takes the ball and runs with it and makes it happen. Sometimes an activity is obvious because of the location - tours of the Honda plants in Ohio or the Realtime shop in Wisconsin were naturals.

However, the amount of time that we can spend at the event is limited. While the event is four to five days long, two or (this year) three days are for the track event. Thus we have at best a couple of days, and between activities that most people expect, like the seminars and the concours, and activities that provide "local flavor" for our location, we usually keep everyone busy for the entire time of the event. It's more often the case that we don't have enough time to do everything we'd like, than too much time and not enough to do.

Those who have never been to a particular area around NSXPO and would like to do some sightseeing, are encouraged to extend their stay afterwards. If you're interested in sticking around with other folks after the event, mention your interests here and/or on the e-mail lists when you're doing your event planning, and you're likely to find others who would be interested in the same thing - whether it's a drive to wine-tasting country, or golf, or whatever activities you happen to enjoy.

Back