• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPrime Marketplace Opinions/Thoughts

NSXPrime Marketplace Opinions/Thoughts

• Total voters
for other sites (like s2ki, ebay, diecast.org) you have to pay money to sell your items..

I disagree. 95% of automotive enthusiast forums have a classified section that is free to post on.

(AudZine, Club WRX, ElantraXD, EvolutionM, FerrariChat, IWSTI, LotusTalk, My350Z, Miata, SCCA, etc... etc... etc... I could name 100+ without skipping a beat.

Many even allow and encourage users to post goods when applicable (which they do not want to ship for example) in their regional forums and are zero charge for vendors.

this being the case i find it very insulting to complaint or say the process doesn't work for you.

Not trying to call you out here. But, why should anyone be made to feel guilty about voicing their grievances? Why should it be insulting for members to want to have a working message board? This is a small enough community whereas half the posters already know each other offline anyway. I don't think anyone is trying to be an a$$, just frusterated over their individual classified situations.

:confused:

From what I've read... most users here just want to let their issues be known, and propose changes to better the site. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

the people moderating the site and the fs sectio are donating there time. if you want the process to speed up, why not ask to become a moderator and donate your time. if you don't like the process, pay your money and sell it on ebay.

I've run many of the years. It is very reasonable to expect that devoting some degree of personal time will come with the territory of owning any site. Software and Bandwidth are cheap so you put up some ads and delegate the balance. That's just the way it kinda goes.

Community internet message boards since the earliest days of dial-up internet were designed to serve the members first. When they stop working for the majority, it's time to open dialog, and either get it fixed or like you said... go elsewhere (to all those other NSX message boards I suppose) :biggrin:

Per the poll results and three threads on the topic- most seem to agree that their exists pretty reasonable grounds to have a good open discussion. Dan did the right thing starting this thread... it is well intentioned and about brain storming new ideas to fix a real problem. If those solutions are not well received after being triaged, then to me that sounds like a separate problem.

My 0.2

IMHO... I think more people would rather wade a little bit through the crap as before...... then have to wait for approval, be unable to edit their posts, add pictures, respond to questions, clogged in-box, late listings costing users sales, etc... etc...

That said, I do understand the flip side. I can't speak to all the issues that might have come up before.. but if some specific users are hogging up the system by listing every item in their basement individually, frivolous replies to bump, commercial spamming, etc... then that's what mods are for. They should have plenty of time no longer having to approve everything.

In a nut shell-

Mod should equal Moderator, not Micro Manager

To a certain extent, you have to let things run their course. In the end, it's up to the members to make or break any site.

Having said that, I would like to volunteer to help out John (Anytime) or anyone else in helping moderate the for sale forum.

Well, apparently from what we are hearing the problem is that you might not have enough posts or an early enough join date.... LOL.

Last edited:
If the nsxprime classifieds were any more-efficient, I don't think I would have any money left
dunno.gif

for other sites (like s2ki, ebay, diecast.org) you have to pay money to sell your items.. Here you don't have to pay anything to sell anything. this being the case i find it very insulting to complaint or say the process doesn't work for you. the people moderating the site and the fs sectio are donating there time. if you want the process to speed up, why not ask to become a moderator and donate your time. if you don't like the process, pay your money and sell it on ebay.

Please read the first post before you eat your own words. NO one is COMPLAINING... we are just voicing opionions. Wether Lud is taking it into consideration is up to him. This thread is merely a tool to gather statistic and see what the majority is thinking. So far there seem to be only a few that support "LEAVE AS IS" idea, so please take it easy. Micro management is no place to be had. Unfortunetly, people still like to feel above all attitude.
We are brainstorming for an EFFICIENT way to make things easier for you and everyone else.
Some of you might already see my attitude about speaking my mind. It might not be the best way to make friends with some people, but deep inside the majority will not (dislike) me for it.
PLEASE read all the post before making any commnents about this thread.
There are MANY members volunteered to assist in moderating this site, but none were taken seriously... WHY? I don't know why... Can LUD answer that question?

It's not even worth our time posting this thread. Lud has already been looking into improving the Marketplace. Complaining about it or making suggestions at this point will not make it happen any faster. I'm sure he has more than enough suggestions to improve the Marketplace than he would like.

From previous posts from the Moderators, it appears that the changes will happen when they happen.

with this thread you will see actual numbers.... so look at the results of the poll. Persistance is mother of all success!

Like people have already mentioned, this has come up before and Lud's position stands.
Whether we like it or not, this is the way it will go.

Having said that, I would like to volunteer to help out John (Anytime) or anyone else in helping moderate the for sale forum. :biggrin:

I would like to do that as well... but they seem unwilling to delegate any responsability to other people, and just remain bogged down and understaffed. Why can't he employ the help of a few of us to smooth things along?

Note, I was not complaining, just offering a suggestion to help forum members as well as the moderators.... :)

Sale Section:
Now- Moderators review every post
Idea- Moderators review flagged post (which should be significantly less)

To me, I really like the current format (especially having the VIN on the subject line), but just prefer to have the ads show up in more real time, meaning say within 24 hours of posting by the seller.

To me, I really like the current format (especially having the VIN on the subject line), but just prefer to have the ads show up in more real time, meaning say within 24 hours of posting by the seller.

That's a great point. The discussion need be more granular. Moderation has seemed to help out the Cars For Sale forum. It is a lot easier to read and separate out owner from dealer listings.

A VIN should be required anytime a vehicle is sold, also when one is "parted out" either in whole or in part along with a reason.

Both of the wanted forums should remain open.

The problems being identified all seem to stem around the parts forum.

posting on others threads sucks....
It makes it difficult to find recently posted items. If you go on bimmerforums and look for stuff its ridiculous something your looking for could have been posted two days ago, but for you to know that you have to go through 3 pages of stuff to get to postings. Last week the item your looking for could have been listed, get ready to search through 10 pages of crap, because of people posting stupid questions and usless comments.

but... more real time listing is great.....
Just like craigs list is good.
You can post.
Than get flagged.
Only bumping once a month is fine since we only get 10 listings a week or so. but please don't let people post to other threads is creates unnecessary action on a thread that makes searching difficult.

but another suggestion would be if allowing posting questions to new For sale threads would NOT bring that thread to the top of the list in other words a post to a thread would not "bump" a thread therefore not creating unnecessary loss of order of new listing for sale. If that is possible that would be nice.

but either way its not that bad right now, just find myself checking every day than being disappointed when 7 days later theres still no new items.

Last edited:
I see no reason why a for sale forum on a website such as this cannot be updated daily, or at least every two days, especially when you have people volunteering to shoulder the extra work load. I appreciate all that the moderators do here, and understand their need to be careful. I really do. But for the sake of efficiency, why not use the volunteers to improve the for sale section? When you go 3,4,5, or 6 days with no updates to that section it is frustrating to say the least. I guess it frustrates me the most because it is a problem that does not have to exist. If nobody was volunteering to help, and the mods were bogged down, that would be one thing. But people are hearing the call and saying, 'I will help,' and apparently being ignored. We are mostly a group of mature individuals, and the current system reminds me of being in the 4th grade and having to have everyones every action watched all the time. :frown:

Another point I would like some to consider who think the wait time of a week or sometimes more is 'no big deal'. Lets say you are trying to sell your parts in order to get some others that may be for sale here or somewhere else. You post a request to sell your items. In the meantime, while you are waiting several days for your post to go up, the other item sells. You never had a chance because your items sat in a 'holding stage' for so long. It is especially frustrating when you see a post pop up on the for sale section and you jump on it right away only to find out the item sold long ago before the ad even appeared. I know this has happened to me a few times.

Bottom line, there has to be a better way, and there is since we have volunteers. I will even volunteer if I have to so that I can be part of the solution, and not just someone talking. If Prime needs my help to approve these for sale ads in a timely manner, I will step up and help get it done. I have never understood what exactly we are so worried about anyway to warrant the strict moderation, but I am here if I can help for the good of the Prime community.

Last edited:
I see no reason why a for sale forum on a website such as this cannot be updated daily, or at least every two days, especially when you have people volunteering to shoulder the extra work load. I appreciate all that the moderators do here, and understand their need to be careful. I really do. But for the sake of efficiency, why not use the volunteers to improve the for sale section? When you go 3,4,5, or 6 days with no updates to that section it is frustrating to say the least. I guess it frustrates me the most because it is a problem that does not have to exist. If nobody was volunteering to help, and the mods were bogged down, that would be one thing. But people are hearing the call and saying, 'I will help,' and apparently being ignored. We are mostly a group of mature individuals, and the current system reminds me of being in the 4th grade and having to have everyones every action watched all the time. :frown:

Another point I would like some to consider who think the wait time of a week or sometimes more is 'no big deal'. Lets say you are trying to sell your parts in order to get some others that may be for sale here or somewhere else. You post a request to sell your items. In the meantime, while you are waiting several days for your post to go up, the other item sells. You never had a chance because your items sat in a 'holding stage' for so long. It is especially frustrating when you see a post pop up on the for sale section and you jump on it right away only to find out the item sold long ago before the ad even appeared. I know this has happened to me a few times.

Bottom line, there has to be a better way, and there is since we have volunteers. I will even volunteer if I have to so that I can be part of the solution, and not just someone talking. If Prime needs my help to approve these for sale ads in a timely manner, I will step up and help get it done. I have never understood what exactly we are so worried about anyway to warrant the strict moderation, but I am here if I can help for the good of the Prime community.

Well Mitch,
As you can see, 84% of those who voted agree with you that changes can be made to make the marketplace more efficent.
It's sad to see this issue being ignored:confused:
Oh well

Same thoughts as Mitch here.

2 examples of my frustration from the recent past:
- posted a 30 day bump that was much closer to 60 days then 30 by the time it was approved
- posted a link to an eBay auction. Ebay auction has closed, still no thread approval for the link to it.

I appreciate that the job of a marketplace mod can be time consuming, thankless and tedious. IMO, that is all the more reason to spread the burden amongst a few more trustworthy people. If I fit that bill, consider my hand raised. I am willing to be part of the solution. If I do not fit the bill, hopefully there are others who do.

Same thoughts as Mitch here.

2 examples of my frustration from the recent past:
- posted a 30 day bump that was much closer to 60 days then 30 by the time it was approved
- posted a link to an eBay auction. Ebay auction has closed, still no thread approval for the link to it.

I appreciate that the job of a marketplace mod can be time consuming, thankless and tedious. IMO, that is all the more reason to spread the burden amongst a few more trustworthy people. If I fit that bill, consider my hand raised. I am willing to be part of the solution. If I do not fit the bill, hopefully there are others who do.

You sure fit the bill in my eyes...:)
How about we have a list of nominees (well respected members) then we can have a poll for voting counts.

1. MJK

Very well said Mitch!

I can also help if needed

I see no reason why a for sale forum on a website such as this cannot be updated daily, or at least every two days, especially when you have people volunteering to shoulder the extra work load. I appreciate all that the moderators do here, and understand their need to be careful. I really do. But for the sake of efficiency, why not use the volunteers to improve the for sale section? When you go 3,4,5, or 6 days with no updates to that section it is frustrating to say the least. I guess it frustrates me the most because it is a problem that does not have to exist.

Mitch, I think that if it was really only a few days to list some parts I don't think their would be anywhere near the level of frustration here.

My last post was on 12-31, I found out it didn't have a price on 12-15 and immediately re-submmitted... and it still has not been listed as of 1-21 so it's coming up on a month now. What else need be said. Once it finally does go, it will be irrelevant, as I now need to make an edit to the post anyway due to new information that I didn't have before.

As Lud said, this is all not the norm and far less than ideal; so I can only assume their must be something going on right now behind the scenes to which the greater NSX community is not privy to. :confused:

I still say a + 1 on the craigslist format similar to what we had before.

The fundamental improvement to be had with the internet originally was real-time access to information. At 3-4+ weeks we can achieve just about the same effect/results here with an ad in the back of NSX Driver magazine. :rolleyes:

Postings need to immediately show no different than any other car forum on the entire internet. Any triage, mod edits, etc... can be done ad-hoc after the fact. If it doesn't have a price just have the mod reply back "add a price or the thread or be deleted" or you are "not playing by the rules", or just edit the post, etc... etc... which being public is that much more of a disincentive to get it right the first time.

Like anything else, it is always the lack of open communication that raises the red flags. Maybe if their is interest we can just setup a new PHP forum for classifieds during the interim? It takes less than about 15 minutes.

I move to a new house and have a 3 week wait time to get internet service. Friends allow me to check email and occasionally a minute or two on the internet (trying not to be a nuisance).
Log onto Prime and find about 20 PM's and this thread. The backlog is extreme to say the least. The pwnage and donkey didn't help either. Would you allow access to someone you don't know manage your website?

Luds playground, Luds rules. We should let him run it the way he sees fit.

It will get caught up in a short period of time, I'll make sure of that.

Ever wonder what happened before moderation? (the free for all method)

Here's what happens when you go relatively unmoderated - I hope we never come to that on 'Prime

Just scroll on back through the pages & see how posts by the OP vs people interested - only 14 of the 146 posts are not by the OP - & of those 14, 6 of those are from one buyer :eek:

Or this one - guy has bumped his post over 150 times!

I move to a new house and have a 3 week wait time to get internet service. Friends allow me to check email and occasionally a minute or two on the internet (trying not to be a nuisance).
Log onto Prime and find about 20 PM's and this thread. The backlog is extreme to say the least. The pwnage and donkey didn't help either. Would you allow access to someone you don't know manage your website?

Luds playground, Luds rules. We should let him run it the way he sees fit.

It will get caught up in a short period of time, I'll make sure of that.

Ever wonder what happened before moderation? (the free for all method)

Here's what happens when you go relatively unmoderated - I hope we never come to that on 'Prime

Just scroll on back through the pages & see how posts by the OP vs people interested - only 14 of the 146 posts are not by the OP - & of those 14, 6 of those are from one buyer :eek:

Or this one - guy has bumped his post over 150 times!

Surely our savy monkeys can count to 30

If not warn, then suspend the user. Problem solved.

You'd be surprised at how many don't. I typically point to the correct bump date when deleting an early bump. Suspend the user for bumping early? Surely you jest :rolleyes:

I do love the non bumping allowed which helps organize threads by when they were listed for sale, I think that should stay the way it is.

Craigslist does not have a way to bump.
And truth whatever works on the largest classifieds in history, should fit Prime perfectly.

But like I mentioned on a earlier post is there a way to keep threads in marketplace organized by the "most recent thread date" and not by the "most recent post" to a thread like unlike other sections of the site.

cause that would be good if posts were allowed but did not bump.

Thank you to those at NSX Prime that made the change. Over the last few days it seems the ads are moving more quickly. Thank you for listening, I do appreciate it. :smile:

This needs to be changed. It's too damn slow.
I don't know why each thread would have to be moderated before being posted?

Back