• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Inception Reviews/Theories/Spoilers

Just got out of the movie and holy crap is that an amazing movie. Honestly one of the best movies I have ever seen. It grips you from the beginning and never lets you go, even at the final scene, it has you by the balls.

My initial theory as soon as the movie had ended was Cobb was finally back at home and in reality. His totem was not the spinning top, but his kids and their faces. The spinning top was his wifes totem. After reading through some other theories, there is a flaw with this idea. Every time his kids are pictured at home when he's under inception, they are in the same location and never age. Could be a clear sign that in the end, he is not in reality.

Any other theories and reviews are welcome...

Re: ***Official Inception Reviews/Theories/Spoilers***

Absolutely LOVED this movie, their notion of time 10hs vs 1 day x 10 secs x 100 years x whatever, very impressive!

Who didn't die on a dream ha? -I died many times and woke up scared myself- I love that, everything is so complex in this movie!

I also think he got back home, this movie is the kind you need to see many times, I might go again this weekend ...

So, in the end, the bad business man wins ha? ....

I believe that the director had no specific ending in mind. People want to know what "really" happened and he is playing on that idea. He purposefully sets it up so that the ending can have multiple possibilities.

Yes, it's not realistic that the kids were in the exact same spot and wearing similar or same clothes, also not having aged much. He could have been dreaming it.

On the other hand, there is no conclusive proof of this and the ending could have been reality.

Then again, the entire film could have taken place in his mind and none of it was real, just an elaborate illusion to help him deal with his guilt. Notice how none of the characters had any background or development at all besides he and his wife. Everyone around him was simply a construct in his mind that furthered his elaborate dream. Also a possibility.

However, I have a different theory. I believe the ending was a clever, indirect way of breaking the fourth wall with the audience. Obviously, it was the directors intention to leave the audience in ambiguity, wondering how much of the film took place in a dream versus reality. By doing so, he leaves YOU THE AUDIENCE in Limbo... wondering what was dream vs. reality. He even has the top start to slowly wobble as if it just may fall over, but
it immediately hits the credits. It doesn't fade to black, it's immediate for impact.

Well played sir. :smile:

Last edited:
Either Primer's don't see movies or Inception was not that great to them.

Going to see it for a second time this week possibly, will report back with things I may have missed.

I saw the movie at a late night showing and I was totally mind fu*ked. I'm still wondering if I am dreaming or is this reality. Do I really own an NSX or am I living a dream watching a movie about a guy dreaming, who's dreaming about dreaming... Soooo dreamy!!

Add me to the list of folks that didn't think the movie was all that. It was a good movie, but not great. Kind of predictable with the wife issue. As for the ending, I would have to side with it not being real. Inception or not, was hard to say how long he was away from his kids, and why didn't they age, etc. Unless the whole movie was not real. In which case where did my $10 go? :tongue::wink::biggrin:

I think the brilliance of Inception is that Nolan was able to plant the idea in the minds of his audience that this would be an amazing movie long before anyone saw it. This idea was so persuasive, I couldn't shake it the entire time I was watching the film. Seriously, I REALLY enjoyed it.

I'm leaning on the whole movie was a dream theory. Played out much like Total Recall in that regard...the story played out exactly the way you were told it would if everything went right. The ending was perfect in that there was just enough of a hint that it could have been real to keep everyone guessing.

Watched it during the premier. It deserves the current top spot in the box office. Salt is also a very good movie. Now waiting for the Expendables.

This is the EXTENDED ending of INCEPTION!!! :wink:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wee1OlbIkcc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wee1OlbIkcc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I saw it twice. The first time I was completely mindf*cked...the second time, I took the lady and she was so lost.

My take on it, was that, the spinning top...was not his totem...remember it was Maud's....His totem, from what I took from it, I think it was his wedding ring :wink:

that being said, I think he made it back to reality

I saw it this weekend and I thought it was really good.

I dont think he is back in reality. Mostly becuase I dont understand the very last part of the movie. Or perhaps I have noticed the major clue none of them are back.

The first dream they go into they are all in the city in the rain and eventually this dream ends in them all in the van going over the bridge that when it hits the water is supposed to be the kick that wakes them up on the plane.

However when the van hits the water they dont intitially wake up on the plane. They have to swim out. In all the other kicks they wake up into the next dream but on this final kick they dont wake up. Right?

I dont think he is back in reality. Mostly becuase I dont understand the very last part of the movie. Or perhaps I have noticed the major clue none of them are back.

The first dream they go into they are all in the city in the rain and eventually this dream ends in them all in the van going over the bridge that when it hits the water is supposed to be the kick that wakes them up on the plane.

However when the van hits the water they dont intitially wake up on the plane. They have to swim out. In all the other kicks they wake up into the next dream but on this final kick they dont wake up. Right?

this part perplexed me as well. but did it have anything to do with the other 2 characters that were in limbo when Leo's character went to 'find' soto? Because it was after that that they all woke up. Strange.

You are right tho, they were supposed to wake up from hitting the water.

At first that's what I thought, but then I remembered that they were to be awoken, on the plane, by that stewardess who put them under (the one who was controlling the sedation). If anything I thought it was to wrap up the loose ends as far as the deeper levels of the dream where they show the Fischer talking to Browning (even though it was Eames) about him splitting up the company and going forward, and the others talking about how cobb went down deeper to get saito from limbo, then they cut to cobb being taken in by Saito's men

Just saw Inception (yeah I know a little late, but I hate crowds) and wow, did it live up to the impossibly big hype. I had high expectations for Christopher Nolan (one of my favorite directors) and he delivered on all accounts. In typical Nolan fashion he left the ending (and much of the movie) up for interpretation with a simple path of explanation for everything and much more expansive explanation paths if one chooses to go deeper down the rabbit hole.

I’m really surprised at the lack of any in-depth explanation here on Prime since I find most of the users here intelligent and creative. Perhaps because it’s a huge time undertaking to go over all of the details of the movie and it’s just not worth it. But I’ll go ahead and give my take on several possible paths of explanation.

First off, you must understand the core basic mechanics of the movie. I found this website does a pretty good job in explaining how the level of dreams work and the roles of the different characters. If you understand off of that, then you’ll understand the most simplistic answer to what happened in the movie and how it ended. The website also does a pretty good job in explaining that as well.

Before I get into the most straight forward and simplistic explanation, let me first discuss a few very important key scenes at the very end of the movie. If you recall the very end was very sparse in detail (in relation to the rest of the movie) and cut away at the most critical parts to give you a solid answer. The most critical parts being:

1) When the old Saito see Cobb again and Cobb explains who he is and why he is there. Saito picks up the gun and the scene cuts away.
2) When Cobb sees his kids again, he firsts spins his totem (the spinning top) and the scene ends before we can see if it falls or not.

Those two key scenes are critical because they have the ability to clarify what exactly happened at the end. However, because Nolan does not reveal the outcome, you are left with a series of combinations of possible conclusions. So for example, let me return to the most simple straight forward explanation.

In the simple explanation, Saito understand why Cobb is there. When Saito died, because he was under such heavy sedation, his mind went into Limbo. Normally when you die in a dream state you wake up, but because this sedation was so different your mind would enter Limbo to which time would just go on and on for a very long time (even though you are asleep in reality for just a few minutes.) It’s like being in a coma. The main problem with that is that if you are awaken in real life with your mind still in Limbo it could completely scramble your brain so you want to make sure you are out of Limbo before you awake. So Cobb went into Limbo to find Saito and get him out of Limbo. It explains why Saito was so old while Cobb was so young because Saito having died a few minutes before Cobb entered Limbo much earlier than Cobb. But because Limbo time is exponentially longer than even the very long 3rd level of dream state, it translated to several decades of time between the few minutes Saito died and Cobb entered Limbo to find him. So as we learned from Cobb’s previous experience in Limbo, the only way out of Limbo was to kill yourself, so at the end of the movie, Saito realizes that he is in Limbo. The simple explanation is that kills Cobb and then himself to exit out of Limbo. Once he is out of Limbo (but still stuck in the 3rd level of dream state) they pull him out of sedation and he awakens naturally. This explains why on the plane, Cobb and Saito are the last two to awaken, while everyone else appears to be awake already. That is because they were already awakened by the planned “kicks” while Cobb and Saito (who missed the awakening “kicks) had to wait to be taken off of sedation. So knowing that they are reality, we know that Saito fulfilled his promise to clear Cobb of his charges and go back to see his kids again. He returns home, spins his totem top and because he is in reality, he can see his kids faces again and the top supposedly falls down as it should in reality.

However, this is the most obvious and simple explanation. It takes the most basic and logical path with the fewest leaps of faith and is probably the easiest to follow. But there are other very interesting explanations as well. If you are interested continue reading.

Another explanation is that the entire sequence of events wasn’t an inception on Fischer but an inception on Cobb. And inception of what? To plant the idea of him getting over his wife’s death. As we learned throughout the movie, Cobb just could not get over his wife’s death and it was, in fact, getting worse. All of his close friends and family couldn’t get him to get over it. So the plan was to plant the idea in Cobb’s head that he had to get over his wife’s death so that he thinks it’s his decision and he shapes his life accordingly to do so. Some of the clues that this might be the case was knowing that Cobb’s father (Miles) also understood the human mind. When Cobb asks him for an architect, his father states he knows one even better than him. Miles specifically introduces him to Ariadne because he selected her as the prodigy that will perform an inception on Cobb. That also explains her constant curiosity to know more about Cobb’s wife and how she died, her entering Cobb’s dream state, travelling to the basement, and following him to Limbo. The entire series of events and Ariadne’s labyrinth was all part of the process to plant the idea that Cobb had to let go of his wife, which he did at the very end of the movie. All of the players were just accomplices in this intricate maze, because if they had just gone into the first dream state and tried to plant the idea, it wouldn’t have worked. As we’ve learned in the movie, they would need to go at least 3 levels in and possibly to Limbo to plant an idea in someone’s head (recall, Cobb had to go to Limbo with wife in order to plant an idea). Also note that it was Cobb and Ariadne who went all the levels of dream state, and it was in Limbo (the deepest dream state) that Cobb sparks that idea that he had to let go of his wife’s death). So someone, probably Miles his father, sets up this team to make Cobb think he’s performing an inception on a mark, all the while, Cobb is the mark for inception. So now that Cobb has the idea planted in his head (essentially cured) the last few moments are open to interpretation:

1) In version, Cobb is cured and enters reality again. Someone has cleared Cobb’s record with customs so he can return to the US. How? One explanation was that Saito really was a witness. But not a businessman witness, but a customs/government agent witness. He was there to see Cobb’s mind and to see that his wife’s death really was not his fault and that he also came to terms with it. So when they enter reality Saito really makes the call to clear Cobb through customs, but mainly because he was a government witness to confirm that Cobb was innocent. Then Cobb is able to see his kids again and the top at the end falls because he is back in reality.

2) OR Cobb is still in a dream state. He has not entered reality because if you notice the kids are in the same position and clothing in each recollection of them. He’s replaying it again in his head and Cobb is still in a dream state. Note that he’s not really on a plane in to LA and all of the people in his dream state aren’t necessarily who they appear to be. Remember, Cobb is the mark and they are trying to plant the idea of getting over his dead wife in his head. So for all we know, Cobb is still in some dirty loft in Europe and has not gotten out of the final dream state yet. But that’s not important. What is important is that we know that Cobb has undergone a catharsis in that he has gotten over his wife because the idea has been planted in his head. We know this because in his dream state he can now picture his kids’ faces where he couldn’t before. That explains why the kids are in the same position/scenery/clothing as his previous dreams but now he can see their faces this time. But more importantly he doesn’t even check his totem top when he spins it. If you recall, he spun it previously with a gun by his head. But because he’s finally over his wife, he didn’t even bother to look at it once he spun it. So point is that even if he awoke in that dream state and awoke to be in a rundown loft in Europe, the catharsis is complete. Perhaps it was set up by his father or friends so that Cobb could be whole again, or maybe his employer set it up so he could be an effective extractor without complications of his wife interfering as it was increasingly happening.

Yet another explanation is that YOU the audience is the mark and the inception was a plant on you. If you think about it, like Cobb said, in a dream you don’t remember how you got there. Well the movie just starts, with no explanation of anything prior. That symbolizes that you have just entered the first level of dream state. As you follow the characters in the movie, you follow them deeper and deeper into the lower levels of dream state. To which the very end you end up in Limbo where a “seed is planted in your brain”. What seed is that? An idea. What idea you ask? Well look at this discussion. The idea is what happened in the movie. Or the idea that makes you question dreams or reality. Or the idea that makes you reconsider family and priorities. The point is the inception is trying to get an idea in your head by the end of the movie. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There was never a clear cut answer on if inception worked or not. One big clue that it was an inception on the audience was that the music that is played prior to waking up to clue them in that the “kick” was about to happen, was the same music being played at the very end of the credits. So in a way it was the prior warning to YOU the audience that you are about to wake up from your dream state after having ideas planted in your head. A bit gimmicky but a fun explanation nonetheless.

And yet even another explanation is that the entire event was Cobb still in Limbo trying to come to terms with the death of his wife in his own mind. Again the supporting clues. The movie starts in the middle of something with no explanation prior, indicating dream state. Cobb jumps from event to event, again jumping into the even with no explanation prior. It occurred when he went searching for his counterfeiter and chemist. It occurred again when he met up with his father. It occurred again when he just showed up on the shore of Saito’s Limbo state. Yet again when he goes home to see his kids. He just jumps from event to event, indicating he’s still in a dream state. And yet again, the point being is at the end when he can see his kids again, the catharsis is complete and he doesn’t care if he is in a dream state or reality because he doesn’t bother to check the top anymore (just like his wife in Limbo).

These are just a few ideas floating around in my head, that aren’t set in stone or flushed out. This was just my first viewing. But I think that’s the magic of this movie in that all of these are completely viable explanations simply because the movie was left open ended.

Last edited:
Just saw it in IMAX with a freind after choosing it over Machette (due to times).. When we walked out we were about to discuss it and he simply stated "We just got high".. haha. No drugs necessary.

Add me to the list of folks that didn't think the movie was all that. It was a good movie, but not great. Kind of predictable with the wife issue. As for the ending, I would have to side with it not being real. Inception or not, was hard to say how long he was away from his kids, and why didn't they age, etc. Unless the whole movie was not real. In which case where did my $10 go? :tongue::wink::biggrin:

Me too. I think it was over hyped, it was explained in detail in the movie what would happen then it did, i was waiting for a mind blowing moment and nothing happened, it all panned out exactly as explained. No one seems to mention the fact that they were on the way to australia, then leo suddenly wakes on the way back to LA. Seem's to me he was still dreaming if not, then it was a poor editing choice. Reminds me of the over hype that was Avatar, another average movie covered in technical sugarcoating.

Dark City is a much better movie!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSpowoKqSzc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSpowoKqSzc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Me too. I think it was over hyped, it was explained in detail in the movie what would happen then it did, i was waiting for a mind blowing moment and nothing happened, it all panned out exactly as explained. No one seems to mention the fact that they were on the way to australia, then leo suddenly wakes on the way back to LA. Seem's to me he was still dreaming if not, then it was a poor editing choice. Reminds me of the over hype that was Avatar, another average movie covered in technical sugarcoating.

Sorry, but that means you didn't actually understand the movie. The entire point of the movie is that there is no definitive ending. The simple answer is that the movie played out like exactly like it was supposed to and was as predicted; making it (naturally) predictable. But that’s the whole point, it’s like a misdirection crime where they want you to think, oh that was just a very simple mugging in a back alley, when in reality, it is an elaborate confidence scam and bank robbery using the mugging as a distraction. In my posts above, you can read about several other explanations of the movie which have nothing to do with how the actual movie played out. There are dozens more on other forums and websites which describe other possible outcomes. Which therein, lays the beauty of the movie: it was left intentionally vague so that there can be multiple viable explanations. More importantly this was specifically by design and there are multiple clues and omissions intentionally place in or details left out as to keep from single handedly ruling out a given theory.

Back