• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Oil change...3 month or 3000 Miles?

ak

Legendary Member
Well, soon, it'll mark the end of 3rd month that I have owned my NSX and comes the question, should I do oil change again?? I did it right after I purchased, but I have only driven 400 miles!(I wish I was home more...) I mean, they are 400 hard driven miles, but still, well short of 3000 miles, and I have driven maybe 1/4 of the days that I have owned it. So, should I still do my oil change? Should I at least wait until I clock 1000 miles on it??

Lots of people say 3 months, 3000 miles.

I stretch that just a bit; I use 3750 miles as my mileage interval, because it fits in well with the intervals for other scheduled maintenance services. My NSX is in service for 7-8 months a year so I change the oil in April when I first take it out, and then again in August, if I haven't put 3750 miles on it by then. So I guess I'm going by 4 months, 3750 miles.

So... I think you could wait another month if you want, but I wouldn't stretch it longer than that.

Would the monthly intervals be dependent upon the environment your car in located in (i.e. Florida vs California in the summer time)?

Motor oil is not hydroscopic by nature unlike brake fluid. Correct? Are you changing your brake fluid at three month intervals? I think annually is what Acura (Honda)recommends.

I suggest annually for dry weather and maybe 6 months in high humidity conditions or 3K which ever occurs first. This is my guide using Mobile 1.

97-T @ 18K

Would the monthly intervals be dependent upon the environment your car in located in (i.e. Florida vs California in the summer time)?

Motor oil is not hydroscopic by nature unlike brake fluid. Correct?

That's correct. Which is why I wouldn't vary the oil-change intervals based on the environment the car is driven in.

Are you changing your brake fluid at three month intervals? I think annually is what Acura (Honda)recommends.

Acura recommends changing the brake fluid every two years or 30,000 miles. Which is probably fine for cars being used on the street in most places. Those doing so in an excessively humid climate (e.g. Florida, Guam) might consider an annual flush.

Those using cars on the track should flush more frequently - say, every six months. With the track season up north lasting seven months, I simply flush the brake fluid every spring.

I enjoy threads like this one because there are so many different philosophies. I used to be with the school of thought that every 3 mo's or 3k was the interval for oil changes. Now, with synthetics and better running engines I have extended my intervals to 4-5 months or 5k miles. Remember, oil does get a bit better in it's lubrication process before it breaks down so chaning it too often and too soon can be detrimental, but not fatal to the engines.

As for brake fluid changes. I do mine before every track event. I bought a great device at Griot's Garage that lets me flush and fill my brake system with new fluid. It's a one man system and takes 10-15 minutes to do the entire system. I couldn't believe how easy it was the first time I did it myself and how cheap it was compared to what Acura charges.

Hmmmm... I think it's time for an oil and brake fluid change as I write this, more bonding time with my mistress.

-cheers

Dr. Lane, can you elaborate on your brake fluid flush method??

I guess My oil change interval would be more like 4 month/3000 miles. I don't think I'll ever get 3000 miles in 4 month anyway...maybe in a year.

Back