• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinion: 02' NSX vs. 01' NSX

Here is my opinion. The 02 NSX is nice looking but I like the 01 more.

I have an idea on the 02 NSX. Tell me what you think about it. First thing that they should do is take those two bump things in the front bumper off. Then make the bottom of the front bumper lean in more towards the center of the car. Also make the sideskirt a little higher, I don't like it when the body of any car is not that balanced. I mean like the sideskirt is 2 inches lower than the front bumper. It just doesn't comfort the eyes. Makes it like the company doesn't care about the placement of the body panels. This will make the 02 more similar to the 01 but still keep the new looks of the 02. I also think most of the nsx owners here in the United states don't mind losing alittle bit of the performance gains that come with the aerodynamics of the 02 front bumper.

Hey if anyone has photoshop or something, can you try to do what I said to like the picture that was posted above, so we can compare it to the 02 nsx.

Hope you understood what I said, and if you don't then don't even care about what I posted its not realy that important.

01' Front, without a doubt
02' Rear, Although it looks fine in the yellow and orange, I think it would look a bit goofy in a black NSX-get both they are interchangable.

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
So if I had to buy a new NSX, I would special order a 02 coupe.

You can't. They discontinued the availability of the coupe, beginning with the 2002 model year. In the U.S., anyway.

'01, definitely the '01.

Originally posted by Midnight_Raven:
First thing that they should do is take those two bump things in the front bumper off.

Yes, those bumps are hideous.

Originally posted by Midnight_Raven:
Then make the bottom of the front bumper lean in more towards the center of the car. Also make the sideskirt a little higher, I don't like it when the body of any car is not that balanced. I mean like the sideskirt is 2 inches lower than the front bumper. It just doesn't comfort the eyes. Makes it like the company doesn't care about the placement of the body panels. This will make the 02 more similar to the 01 but still keep the new looks of the 02. I also think most of the nsx owners here in the United states don't mind losing alittle bit of the performance gains that come with the aerodynamics of the 02 front bumper.

Can't totally picture it, but definitely sounds like an improvement over the '02.

I wish the only change Honda made on the '02s were flush-mount headlight kits. You really can't mess with a classic design like the original NSX.

At least we're not in the same boat as Viper owners--having to deal with a completely new (and extremely controversial) design...

The Perfect NSX in my opinion:

91-01 Front with 97+ Front Lip Spoiler
97+ Wheels
Red Coupe with Black Top
02 Rear Bumper
Ivory Leather Seats
6 Speed Transmission
Type R Ring and Pinion
R 134-a A/C
Manual Rack and Pinion Steering
Better Factory Stereo
Single Disc Clutch
Factory Long Tube Headers

Anybody want to add to this?

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

[This message has been edited by NoClgDeg (edited 28 December 2002).]

I would substitute the six-speed transmission and add HID headlights using the '91-01 style, and delete the R&P and the louder exhaust.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 December 2002).]

Originally posted by NoClgDeg:

Anybody want to add to this?

WCIS? LOVE original ovoids muffler tips.

Kind of my

Perfect NSX in my opinion:

97+ Wheels
Red Coupe with Black Top
91-97 Rear Bumper and muffler tips
91-99 Black Leather Seats
6 Speed Transmission
Drive by wire throttle
Blue Printed engine

Type R Ring and Pinion
Type R Suspension
Type R Curb Weight ( I would dream to have a Lotus Elise Curb Weight for the NSX
biggrin.gif
)

Smartenna

Would like seat position and mirrors adjustments programmable in say more than 4 memories ( owner: normal driving, owner: track driving, wife normal driving, and wife normal shopping... )

02 look definitely is ALOT better. The 01 is same as the 91 look. I see many people on the forum going from old look to new look. I am sure no 02 and 03 owners are going back to the pop up lights. At events, the 02 cars attract alot more attention compare with OLD look.

Originally posted by effer:
WCIS? LOVE original ovoids muffler tips.

Kind of my

Perfect NSX in my opinion:

97+ Wheels
Red Coupe with Black Top
91-97 Rear Bumper and muffler tips
91-99 Black Leather Seats
6 Speed Transmission
Drive by wire throttle
Blue Printed engine

Type R Ring and Pinion
Type R Suspension
Type R Curb Weight ( I would dream to have a Lotus Elise Curb Weight for the NSX
biggrin.gif
)

Smartenna

Would like seat position and mirrors adjustments programmable in say more than 4 memories ( owner: normal driving, owner: track driving, wife normal driving, and wife normal shopping... )

EFFER: u have described MY PERFECT NSX too!!! even to the personal preference of red+black roof!!!!!! LEGEND!

i give this config 10/10
icon14.gif

------------------
NeoNSX
If the Matrix is real, then the NSX is just a figment of your imagination.

They both look excellent, but given the choice, I would pick an '02.
I agree with the above poster that the NSX is not very photogenic at some angles.
If you haven't seen an '02 in person, then you may change your mind after seeing one.
The Imola Orange one, in particular, is very attractive to me. Then again, I'm a fan of Brooklands Green Pearl, too
smile.gif

-Thomas

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

One of my website's members photoshopped the front-end of the 01' onto the 02', and here's what we have:

newnsx.jpg

smile.gif

-Awais

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
Do not personally care for the '02 doors & skirts...

I agree with you. The original side skirts are sexy & taut and follow through with the design contours of the side & doors. By comparison the 02 side skirt & lower door panel looks like a heavy tacked on slab of plastic. Definitely not as visually satisfying. IMHO of course.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

I have gone back and forth, and back and forth on this but for me, it depends on the color of the car on if I like the facelift of not...the facelifted blue is simply amazing....but the yellow and red look odd to me. Black is a pretty neutral color and hides the buldging headlights of the facelift a bit. Overall though, I would take it if it were given to me but if I had to chose one or the other....I'd go with the older look.

If I could get a '02 Type S or Type R, it would look fine enough for me... But since I can't, I prefer my '00 coupe.

I almost always detest the look of old cars that are given a radical "facelift", but are still the same car underneath. It never looks right, the lines never blend correctly, it always looks contrived. It doesnt even seem entirely honest.

Remember the Porsche 968? That was the worst offender. Oh was that awful, those old sagging 924/944 lines tarted up w/ modern headlights and that rounded rear. Remember the latest iteration of the Ferrari 512TR? They took that gorgeous wedge and pasted those hideous, cross-eyed lights onto its beak. They werent fooling anyone.

My vote is that the '02 NSX is in the same boat. The new look is awful, it looks like one of those exposed headlight kits you can get for a RX-7, or the "new improved" Mitsu 3000 when they went to the non-flipups.

If youre gonna modernize a car, modernize it where it counts. Don't try to fool people w/ a cheap nose job.

Well said, Timbo! (Although I've grown to love the non-popups on my Stealth, whereas I have yet to embrace them on the '02+ NSX...)

I agree with the other guys. Go with the '01 and put an '02 rear on it. Its not that expensive to do.

The '02, I thought looked decent in pics. After seeing it in person at a car show, I didn't like it as much. It reminded me of the Celica lights because they kind of bulged out a bit. I prefer the clean, smooth front of the pre-'01 models.

My theory is that if you have to convince yourself to like the way a car looks, then you don't truly like it and will get tired of it shortly.

With the '02, I *want* to like the way it looks, and I find myself trying very hard to persuade myself to like it. However, this is also exactly how I know that I don't truly like its looks.

On the other hand, when I look at pics of the '01, there is NO doubt in my mind that the car looks gorgeous. Period.

Those pictures definitely make me appreciate the '02 looks much more, but those 3000GT-like headlights just kill it for me.

Verdict: '02 Rear with '01 looks everywhere else.

Originally posted by whs520:

I agree with the above poster that the NSX is not very photogenic at some angles.

i guess the secret then is to drive is hard and fast... then never see the alleged "ugly angles".

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT...FROM BILL"
wink.gif

Okay here is what I did for my idea of what the front bumper should look like compared to the 02 style bumper. They look the same but they are kind of different at the same time. I'm not that great either so the picture aren't not that realistic or done well but I hope you enjoy.

newnsx3.jpg

I hope this works it the first time I have ever posted a picture online. Here goes nothing.

Sorry but I'm having difficulty right now but I will have my picture up soon.
[This message has been edited by Midnight_Raven (edited 31 December 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Midnight_Raven (edited 31 December 2002).]

Pretty funny.

I made the remark in another thread about a month or so ago that I kinda liked the '02 look with the exposed headlights better than the older style adn asked if I was the only one and I believe it was "nsxtasty" that said "Yep".

Looks like I'm not the only one after all. (grin)

I also think the fron air dam looks more aggressive in the '02.

I vote '02 front and rear.

Originally posted by NSX-GUY:
Looks like I'm not the only one after all. (grin)

Maybe not, but the '02 front end is running way behind the '01, by a vote of 19-5 so far.

The rear end is more evenly split, with the '02 ahead by 15-9.

Back