• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Other than Oil Changes what maintenace have you done?

As I understand Acura recommends that an oil change occur either based upon their computer algorithm or one year, which ever occurs first. My car was sold as new after sitting for about 1 1/4 years. The start date for the oil change began with the car's in service date. My car's computer says that the oil is still at 90% but the in service date is quickly approaching. I will probably change the oil at the in service date to insure compliance. The other maintenance Item I am thinking about is flushing the brake fluid. Has anyone out there done that? It is recommended at three years. In this particular instance just sitting around would allow for moisture. So I am thinking that flushing the system makes good sense. Is there anything else I should contemplate? The car has 5700 miles. I have driven it 1000 miles over the last two months. What about flushing out the radiator? The car runs perfect. This is the greatest driving car I have ever owned. I already removed the engine K&N filters and went back to the OEM paper filters.

A lot of views but no reply? I took my car in yesterday and did the oil change for $300 and the Brake Fluid Flush for $200. Given that the oil does a lot in this particular setup from cooling and lubricating the bearings on the turbos to overall lubrication for the engine I figured it was worth doing. The manual suggests that one year or based upon the maintenance minder. I certainly did not make the mileage/use but would have hit another year as far as age of the car in May. I went back and forth on the brake fluid flush, but in the end decided that it was worth taking care of. Unlike the previous generations, this car is a lot more complex and space confined making it difficult to do DIY work. Plus if an extended warranty becomes available I don't want to miss doing what is required and wishing after the fact I had done the work. The dealership is very small and includes Jag and Range Rover. They gave me a 2020 RDX that was loaded. This was in fact the nicest RDX I have driven. It was so much nicer that the previous two RDXs I had gotten from several other dealerships. I got a sample of my old oil that I will send in for analysis just to base line the engine.

I believe that Honda/Acura use long life coolant, so it's not necessary to flush every two years. The oil change is a good move, not so much the brake fluid, but for $200 its worth it.

Bram

I am not certain but way back Toyota had a 3 liter 6 engine that was used by Lexus and various Toyota models. Back then there was primarily a mileage focus on changing oil. Some Lexus owners with this engine went well over a year between oil changes. Lexus began experiencing engine failures. In the end it was an engine oil lubrication issue. The oil would not flow and often blocked the flow. Toyota refused to recall the cars affected but for years would repair the engine free beyond the warranty period. The Lexus RX was one of the affected models. I heard stories where people would buy junkyard RXs with bad engines and Lexus would fix them for free. Anyway what came out of this costly experiment were two things. One the new oil change requirement became X miles or one year which ever came first. Also Toyota redesigned the engine.

My servicing dealer said do the oil changes based on the car's computer.

For me, that was between 8 and 9 thousand miles and over 2 years on the road.

No other fluid changes were suggested by my service advisor.

My car goes in twice a year for seasonal wheel/tire changes.

I sent a note to Acura asking the question about time versus maintenance minder and got this response: "You are correct about Toyota and Lexus vehicles having this issue and we did as well. The new maintenance minder systems have come a long way and are significantly more sophisticated and take into consideration driving and lack of driving conditions. The NSX system has this new type and will reliably calculate the need for oil changes. Likewise, new engine oils are significantly more advanced and the oil gelling issues of the past are largely non issues with NSX". However, if you aren’t driving much and want some piece of mind, you can always have an annual oil change done on the car, it is certainly not going to hurt anything.

So given that I still had 80% of life remaining and 1 month before the one year since last change I could have saved a bit of money. Oh well, sort of doing my part in keeping the economy going.....

Last edited:
The owner's manual states that if the MM doesn't indicate it, the oil should be changed annually. That's what I do.

The owner's manual states that if the MM doesn't indicate it, the oil should be changed annually. That's what I do.
I hear you. I am comfortable with changing every year for sure whether or not the MM tells me to do so. Neither of us want to have a oil related failure occur where we have to fight for support (given that the manual suggests yearly at a minimum). My situation was kind of weird in that the oil was changed in Aug of 2018 with around 4000 miles on the clock. This was the first oil change since the car was manufactured in 12/2016. It sat for 1 1/4 years before the first sale. So the previous owner bought the car in May 2017 drove it 4000 miles and changed the oil Aug 2018. I bought it in Jan 2019 with 4700 miles and have driven the car an additional 1200 miles to date. So the oil for me was not very old as well as the MM said it was at 70%. I was really unsure how important it was to change it out. Given that it is such a high performance engine I did not want to screw it up. So I ended up buying myself some confidence. I intend to drive this car and not let it sit in the garage, so we will have to wait to see what the MM tells me as the next year approaches. I was just sharing what the Acura NSX people were telling me. I love this car!

Every 5000 miles or yearly on all of my cars for oil/filter and air filters. It's cheap if you DIY and makes me feel confident the engines are protected. I know it's overkill for modern engines and synthetic oil, but it's my money, my time and my peace of mind :)

Generally every three years for brake fluid flushes on the sports cars unless they start to feel soft on the track. Follow maintenance manual for other items like spark plugs, trans fluid, etc.

I've replaced all the brake pads and the rear rotors as well on the NSX. The rotors were a self-inflicted wound. I thought i could sneak in one more track day and they literally hit metal on metal during the cool down lap of the last session. Oops. I pull and measure the pads after every trip to the track now. Super easy job with the Brembo calipers.

A lot of views but no reply? I took my car in yesterday and did the oil change for $300 and the Brake Fluid Flush for $200. Given that the oil does a lot in this particular setup from cooling and lubricating the bearings on the turbos to overall lubrication for the engine I figured it was worth doing. The manual suggests that one year or based upon the maintenance minder. I certainly did not make the mileage/use but would have hit another year as far as age of the car in May. I went back and forth on the brake fluid flush, but in the end decided that it was worth taking care of. Unlike the previous generations, this car is a lot more complex and space confined making it difficult to do DIY work. Plus if an extended warranty becomes available I don't want to miss doing what is required and wishing after the fact I had done the work. The dealership is very small and includes Jag and Range Rover. They gave me a 2020 RDX that was loaded. This was in fact the nicest RDX I have driven. It was so much nicer that the previous two RDXs I had gotten from several other dealerships. I got a sample of my old oil that I will send in for analysis just to base line the engine.

$300 for an OIL Change?!?!?!? What in the world! :confused:

To answer your original inquiry, I perform all routine maint. except for TB / WP. (just don't have the knowledge nor trust myself).

All routine maint. on the NSX is quite simple
OIL Change - shouldn't cost more than $40
PLUGS - Around $70
Transmission Fluid - Depending on the fluid - I use Amsoil Syncromesh - $54
Clutch Flush - $7
Brakes - Depends on what you are replacing and which brand. I use Hawk Performance Pads

Clutch Flush is very easy if you have 1 person to help.
Brake Flush is more involved but you can save a lot DIY

In regards to frequency, I would say it depends on your driving habits. Just my opinion. I change my oil every 2,000 miles.

Hope this helps!

Oh wait................ I just realized...... you are referring to GEN 2

My apologies. Ignore me........ :)

As I understand Acura recommends that an oil change occur either based upon their computer algorithm or one year, which ever occurs first. My car was sold as new after sitting for about 1 1/4 years. The start date for the oil change began with the car's in service date. My car's computer says that the oil is still at 90% but the in service date is quickly approaching. I will probably change the oil at the in service date to insure compliance. The other maintenance Item I am thinking about is flushing the brake fluid. Has anyone out there done that? It is recommended at three years. In this particular instance just sitting around would allow for moisture. So I am thinking that flushing the system makes good sense. Is there anything else I should contemplate? The car has 5700 miles. I have driven it 1000 miles over the last two months. What about flushing out the radiator? The car runs perfect. This is the greatest driving car I have ever owned. I already removed the engine K&N filters and went back to the OEM paper filters.

Congrats you are now responsible for starting a trend for the supposedly $20,000 valve adjustment (35 sec in to video) 🤣

https://youtu.be/49h9uTeeTpQ

Thanks to this guy for doing the research on the cost for the valve adjustment (though he sounds like a professional tire kicker who wasted the tech's time).

I haven't seen a Gen 2 NSX with 91K on the clock either.

My car is towards 5 1/2 years old and has 14K miles.

I will be 65 this month.

What I have been saying is if I live long enough to have this service done, I will be happy to spend the money.

Gen 2 NSX oil coolers

There are a couple companies that make radiator grills to protect the oil coolers in the front bumpers & side air intakes for the C8 corvette, I expect considering the small # of NSX Gen 2 cars, I would not expect they would make them, but I wonder if the C8 grills could be adapted to use on the NSX.

I think that they may be able to be trimmed and zip tied over the current openings.

There are a couple companies that make radiator grills to protect the oil coolers in the front bumpers & side air intakes for the C8 corvette, I expect considering the small # of NSX Gen 2 cars, I would not expect they would make them, but I wonder if the C8 grills could be adapted to use on the NSX.

I think that they may be able to be trimmed and zip tied over the current openings.

way back when I had my 2001 I placed screens in front of the radiator and air conditioning cooling condensers. I have thought about with this car as well. Just not sure.

way back when I had my 2001 I placed screens in front of the radiator and air conditioning cooling condensers. I have thought about with this car as well. Just not sure.

I bet you had the same Dali Racing one that I did. :) I thought it worked quite well. Though, for the NC1 I wonder if it would restrict too much airflow and affect cooling?

The standard dali ones were no good for track work....

Yes I did have the Dali. And yes my thoughts as well concerning air flow

Congrats you are now responsible for starting a trend for the supposedly $20,000 valve adjustment (35 sec in to video) ��
Except that there is no 75k service, at least for North American cars. Everything is based on the MM. That video is just more FUD.

Except that there is no 75k service, at least for North American cars. Everything is based on the MM. That video is just more FUD.

Hey I can recall with my 91 that a valve adjustment was initially required at every 15,00- miles. Then it got to be only if the valves are noisy. Apparently they loosen rather than tighten. I burned valves on an early VW Squareback that had electronic fuel injection. You had to adjust the valves at every oil change as they had a tendency to tighten.

Maybe our cars are ending up being very robust.

Valves tighten over time. Your gen 2 is not designed like the older ones and the tolerances are so different. Warranty pays 40 hrs to valve adjust a gen 2 so your looking time and a half plus parts I doubt anyone pays for that

When I received my car I had the following replaced just for the peace of mind. Everything cost me $1573 at Acura dealership and they kept the car for 2 days.

Oil and oil filter replaced
Transmission and clutch fluid
TMU fluid
Brake fluid

When I received my car I had the following replaced just for the peace of mind. Everything cost me $1573 at Acura dealership and they kept the car for 2 days.

Oil and oil filter replaced
Transmission and clutch fluid
TMU fluid
Brake fluid
What year and how many miles did you have ? I just picked up one with 14k miles and did an oil change but not others

I have routinely changed the oil and flushed the brake fluid since I have had the car going on 4 years. I decided to do everything at once and had the oil changed, the brake fluid flushed, the twin motor fluid changed, and the transmission and gear oil changed. It is a 2017 currently at 12,300 miles and it has an in-service date of 05/19. Love this car.

Back