• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Owned a GT-R for Two Weeks

I purchased a 2014 GT-R with 1,500 miles. Black / amber red interior. I got a second set of wheels with winters and was good to go in the Chicago weather.

Then depression set it in:

Wife wouldn't ride with me after a week because she said I was driving "too fast"
Auto transmission in R mode is garbage
Manual mode is clunky and I miss the stick motion of the PDK
Blind spot upon blind spot when driving
Exhaust note in 1st sounds like a diesel truck

Got in my NSX-T for a spirited 30 mile romp and renewed my faith in motoring.

Traded the GT-R and a '13 911 4S for a '14 Turbo S.

You have no idea how much I lust after a 991 Turbo S. Enjoy the hell out of that car and keep the NSX forever :)

I saw someone on 6speedonline say the same thing.
Guy bought it for a few weeks and sold it.
I want a GTR, I can't imagine it not being great?

I want a GTR, I can't imagine it not being great?
Being quick doesn't equal refinement. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of people disappointed with owning a GT-R after having owned/currently own, a more refined and well built vehicle.

Wow. GTR is not my favorite but two weeks is pretty quick and they have quite a following. There is a guy down the street that does nothing but performance mods for them.

Interesting though. I would love to drive one. I felt that way about the F430 some but I didn't own it to truly evaluate...

Good luck with your new toy in any case.

The GTR is is an amazing machine. I have driven 3 of them now. That being said, I had no connection with the car. Yes, fast as hell, but got kinda boring to drive after you get over the mind blowing speed :). Felt like a sedan, and paddle shifters are just...not the same.

I've got a friend with a GTR - Coincidentally, it is for sale. He modded it, made it faster, but at the end of the day he said he doesn't truly enjoy driving it. Kind of crazy for a car that so many people lust over... But then again he's in the financial situation to be selling it and picking up a Lamborghini, so there may be more reasons than that for it being for sale.

I purchased a 2014 GT-R with 1,500 miles. Black / amber red interior. I got a second set of wheels with winters and was good to go in the Chicago weather.

Wife wouldn't ride with me after a week because she said I was driving "too fast"

The GT-R is a very different car from the 991 Porsche's.

Glad that you were able to figure out that the car was not for you and that you were able to move on to a 991 Turbo S. Hope that you didn't take a bloodbath trading in the GT-R and the 991 C4S.

That being said I still enjoy driving my 2010 GT-R that I bought in 2009. Maybe it is because I had an idea of what I was getting into (also having been a fan of the R34 GT-R helps a lot too since I knew that the car would be raw) and also because I still got to keep my P-car to mix things up :cool:.

BTW: I'm yet to hear a 991 Turbo or Turbo S, but the 997.1 and 997.2 Turbo's sounded like vacuum cleaners with stock exhausts ;)

Last edited:

Perspective has a lot of influence on the experience behind the wheel.

My Camaro is technically little more than a big V8 bolted to a 6 speed. Everything else is of mediocre quality, and it's more and more obvious everyday. However, after driving my wife's Pilot for a few days at a time, the Camaro feels like a go kart with torque (granted, it has a lot of aftermarket suspension/chassis work)... and then I drove an NSX...

Congrats on the Turbo, I cant imagine how fast that thing must be! Im still amazed at how fast my Turbo feels, and add another 100 horsepower or so AND PDK? Insane.

Its amazing about the NSX. Even without the high horsepower and sub 4 second zero to sixty times, the car never seems to amaze me. Would never sell it.

Congrats on the Turbo, I cant imagine how fast that thing must be! Im still amazed at how fast my Turbo feels, and add another 100 horsepower or so AND PDK? Insane.

Its amazing about the NSX. Even without the high horsepower and sub 4 second zero to sixty times, the car never seems to amaze me. Would never sell it.

Despite the fact that the GTR is capable of sub-3s in 0-60, it's really refreshing (and reassuring) to read that the NSX still does what it was designed to do even next to modern "giants" in the sportscar world.

I appreciate owning my NSX more so after I owned some crazy fast cars. Cars like the GTR, 12C, 911 Turbo's are vehicles designed for warp speed. They are very fun and addictive but IMHO you can't truly enjoy these cars at legal speeds. In today's YouTube, GoPro world your morning drive to "stretch her legs out" can be risky and may show up on social media. As much as I love my 12C, the NSX is equally rewarding. Again - it takes going through a journey go buying/owning cars to truly appreciate that.

To the OP: I personally feel the GT3/RS would have been a better choice over your newer Turbo. Then again you may need AWD and the back seats. Give us a review between the 3 cars when u have some miles on the new Turbo.

I appreciate owning my NSX more so after I owned some crazy fast cars. Cars like the GTR, 12C, 911 Turbo's are vehicles designed for warp speed. They are very fun and addictive but IMHO you can't truly enjoy these cars at legal speeds. In today's YouTube, GoPro world your morning drive to "stretch her legs out" can be risky and may show up on social media. As much as I love my 12C, the NSX is equally rewarding. Again - it takes going through a journey go buying/owning cars to truly appreciate that.

To the OP: I personally feel the GT3/RS would have been a better choice over your newer Turbo. Then again you may need AWD and the back seats. Give us a review between the 3 cars when u have some miles on the new Turbo.

Ritesh, your post pretty much sums up one truth for me: the "winning formula" will always work better than "technology and doodads." That is, the basics, such as light weight, strong chassis, and precise engineering will always be better than technology that "covers up" or compensates for shortcuts in the design/engineering process. Not saying the NSX is the only car that is "built right," but it certainly got the most important things right, even if it does get out performed on paper (so slap a Love Fab turbo on it!)

Back