• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Painting a carbon fiber NSX-R hood

On a carbon fiber NSX-R hood, do you:

• Paint it body color

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Leave it unpainted

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Paint it except for some exposed CF behind the vent (see pic)

Votes: 25 50.0%

• Total voters
Do you prefer it painted body color, unpainted or painted with just a little CF exposed like in this picture below?

DME_red.jpg

This would be on my sebring silver car....

Eric you bought a CF Hood? Nice... There's a few people done that way and IMO it's good and it's excellent with silver. (I might do the same if I got a CF hood) But if you want to be original, you must think of something else...
MikeC's car, one of the best looking on prime...
10.jpg

08.jpg

If I ever get one myself and being subtle, I will only leave the inside edges of the scoop CF...

If your car is black......

Smoke it Baby!!:biggrin:

Nate in DC

It depends on the color. White cars can get away with a solid carbon hood as long as the top is still black. A carbon R replica wing also compliments it. I do like the first 2 pics. I did the same on my black.

I'm not against the idea of leaving it blk, but how the hood lines up on NA1 flip headlights are a little off. Even you have CF headlight covers, it still look wrong as it's not flush with the front bumper.

02+ will be totally fine with CF exposed hood.

Honestly I'm trying to decide between either painting the whole thing, or leaving a little bit exposed.

Seems like such a shame to paint over all that nice CF...

My car would look very similar to the one above. This will probably end up being a game time/last minute choice.

You know, carbon parts get weaker with prolonged exposure to sunlight. UV rays harm the resin, unless it's clearcoated with something that blocks UV. Not a really dramatic thing for a part that isn't structural, but it does happen. If it were me, I would paint it body colored, maybe mask off a little bit for accents.

Edit: pics finally loaded, those are exactly what I had in mind

Nick

Last edited:
Honestly I'm trying to decide between either painting the whole thing, or leaving a little bit exposed.

Seems like such a shame to paint over all that nice CF...

My car would look very similar to the one above. This will probably end up being a game time/last minute choice.
The second pic is fine. Do that. That really looks great on silver. :smile:

In time.. my pictures suck with my point and click camera... my friend needs to send me the 500mb+ worth of pictures we took with her "nice" camera so then I'll post 'em up! Just a little teaser to show the hood.

Who says you need a black roof to pull it off? Well it might not be everybody's cup of tea.. but I love mine! (smoked clearcoated carbon)

Dude, you car is sick! I love how just the top of your roof is body colored while the A pillars aren't. Wow...now I want to paint my roof! lol

I've never seen that before with a white roof. That looks really good + a nice touch with the hood to to be 2 tone and to finnish it off with the type r spoiler. The white morrors tie it in plus that front valance is cool! where did you get that?Nice work! looks awesome! What year is your car?

I've never seen that before with a white roof. That looks really good + a nice touch with the hood to to be 2 tone and to finnish it off with the type r spoiler. The white morrors tie it in plus that front valance is cool! where did you get that?Nice work! looks awesome! What year is your car?

Everything was done by the AWESOME guys at Downforce. They do great work. Thanks Sam@DF! Car is a 92.

They did a awesome job, the car looks great. Was that a repaint? or just the extra add ons painted to colour match? Do you have more pictures of the sides and rear?

Shawn

Paint the whole thing, one thing for sure, when "Fast and Furious 3" (or 4? i don't know) comes you'll be glad you painted the whole hood :D

OScar

Paint the whole thing, one thing for sure, when "Fast and Furious 3" (or 4? i don't know) comes you'll be glad you painted the whole hood :D

OScar

Oh no... hahaha. Principal photography of FF4 just ended recently. Give it a year to a year and a half of post-production before i get scared of my ricey hood =]

They did a awesome job, the car looks great. Was that a repaint? or just the extra add ons painted to colour match? Do you have more pictures of the sides and rear?

Shawn

Thanks. Nah, they just painted the extra addons and color matched it EXTREMELY well. The roof was a repaint (duh), so it might not be blended 100% perfect (there is no white touching it, so theres no way to know, nor care).

More pictures will come... like I said before.. when I get them, prime will be the first place they go!

Hood is alright.
Don't care much for the two tone roof though.
Thanks for the comments on the hood! Can't win them all, so you might as well do what makes you happy =]

I'd like to see more shots of the roof because I'm honestly thinking about doing the same thing. I have some clear coat issues with mine anyhow.

I did too! My clear on my roof was all torn up. This is a great fix, I think =]

Please post more pics...my car goes into the shop this week. I need to make some decisions! I'd like to see how it looks from the back.

I've seen both options 1 & 3 in silver, and both options look good. Having a CF expose in the scoop is definitely saying "I'm heerreeeee". Your personality will dictate which you choose. I like both 1 & 3. I'll be in your area next week. How far are you away from Renton?

Back