• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Perspective on the GTR from an NSX owner

I had the opportunity to test drive (fairly aggressively) a 2013 Nissan GTR a couple of days ago. Since the car came out in 09, I've always skeptically viewed the behemoth as a curiosity.....a not very attractive one at that. It was hard to wrap my head around the idea of a 3800 Lb "sports car." Anyway, I have to congratulate the engineers at Nissan, the thing is an absolute beast and actually fun to drive. The drive was in wet conditions and the car was doing things that would have put my NSX in a ditch. The acceleration was phenomenal with braking performance to match. This is one SERIOUS car.

This is a car that you get into and it takes you for a ride. The NSX is a car that you "strap on" and take it for a ride.

I'm interested in one as a daily driver since the prices on used ones is getting within reach. One big problem for me, however is that the back seat is beyond useless, something I need in a DD.

I won't be selling the NSX though.

Yep back seats is not really back seats unless you have no legs lol

Once you experience one for yourself you'll find out quickly it is one bad ass car. I want one too lol

Love my GTR. Sold my NSX and R33 GTR to make room for it and haven't looked back since.

I miss the exclusivity and community of the NSX but the GTR just kicks ass on all sorts of levels.

The best part is the car takes all sorts of simple mods with big gains, gains I could never get from my nsx for triple the money.

Different strokes for different folks. There are many people with both. In 10 years from now, the NSX will still be as iconic, if not more than it is now, and the current GTR will just be another older bad ass car that a car company had once upon a time.

That being said, I would still love to drive a GTR for the experience. Couldnt say if I wanted to own one until I drove one. I've been a fan since they came out.

Lots of GTR talk lately here on prime. I wouldn't trade my 2002 CTSC NSX for it but I would love to pick up a used one in a few yrs if they ever reach $25-30k lol

Different strokes for different folks. There are many people with both. In 10 years from now, the NSX will still be as iconic, if not more than it is now, and the current GTR will just be another older bad ass car that a car company had once upon a time.
Well that's just it. The NSX will always be iconic, simply because it was built in such low numbers, by hand, etc. I've been seeing more NSX exposure these days too, almost like the general public's *finally* noticing them for what they are. It's due it's respect from the non-Honda world.

The GTR was done right by Nissan. They knew the car was new to North America with this performance legend, so they did what they had to do, at the prescribed pricepoint, to bring a car to market that hit all its performance targets. The car had to DEMAND respect from all the potential haters. If the car could be priced higher, it would have shed a few hundred pounds easily.

I'm sure if the front seat occupants cooperate there is enough rear leg room for kids.

Lots of GTR talk lately here on prime. I wouldn't trade my 2002 CTSC NSX for it but I would love to pick up a used one in a few yrs if they ever reach $25-30k lol

Lately, there's Lots of GTR talk everywhere, it's What Godzilla does.

IMO, I'd much rather have a VERY nice NA1 modded to my liking along with something like a 930 or 993tt and a cheap track car I can beat on than have a GTR. On the other hand, for a fast, easy to drive, instant fun DD the GTR is pretty unbeatable and relatively practical. The problem arises when people put 100k+ into them and make them pretty much as useless daily as a 1000hp supra that costs less than half what the R did

Last edited:

If by few you mean 10+ :rolleyes: I think they will bottom out at 40k, and for that price it is a ton of car.

I have also noticed that everyone that has never driven one has something bad to say about them. On every gtr thread on prime people who have only stood next to them bad mouth them. I myself have never driven one and thus can only pass judgement on the looks. I have a couple friends with them and I should make it a point to get a ride as the car gets some amazing press.

Last edited:
It's easy to be the owner of an NSX and be smug about every other lesser car out there that's not hand built and aluminum. I have owned a couple of legacy GTRs and consider myself a GTR guy, but have also been unconvinced of the R35 due to its looks and weight. However, I wanted something with back seats (some back seats is better than none at all). For a performance car I boiled it down to either the 911 or the gtr. I test drove both, loved them both but the one that was really me was hands down the GTR. It's hard to convince anyone subjective tastes, but for me Godzilla was the right choice.

I pretty much got the "modified to the tits" bug out of me with my NSX. Now I just want something that was fast out of the box, looks killer, and has all the bells and whistles I want like nav, gauges, Bluetooth, iPod integration etc all built in without resorting to the aftermarket. The car I don't think will drop to the $30k range anytime soon. It's more common than an NSX but will nev reach corvette or even viper levels around here. It will always be a niche car, don't fool yourself type-j lol.

Love my GTR. Sold my NSX and R33 GTR to make room for it and haven't looked back since.

I miss the exclusivity and community of the NSX but the GTR just kicks ass on all sorts of levels.

The best part is the car takes all sorts of simple mods with big gains, gains I could never get from my nsx for triple the money.

Doesn't that void your warranty?

Not if its done at the dealership. The local gtr seller is very mods friendly. It's almost moot to me anyways, next spring ill be done with my warranty.

Cobb AP will upgrade the launch control to the newest module which is much kinder to the tranny and makes the widely publicized tranny issue a thing if the past. I never launched any of my past cars with paddle shifters (M3, M5), so I don't miss it. The car is plenty fast just mashing the go pedal.

It's easy to be the owner of an NSX and be smug about every other lesser car out there that's not hand built and aluminum.

That's what happens when you talk GTR or any other car on a NSX forum lol. I'm sure the same goes if you talk NSX on a GTR forum :cool:

I'm all for the GTR if I had my way I'd own one along side my NSX.... and GT2 RS :D

Last edited:
It's easy to be the owner of an NSX and be smug about every other lesser car out there that's not hand built and aluminum. I have owned a couple of legacy GTRs and consider myself a GTR guy, but have also been unconvinced of the R35 due to its looks and weight. However, I wanted something with back seats (some back seats is better than none at all). For a performance car I boiled it down to either the 911 or the gtr. I test drove both, loved them both but the one that was really me was hands down the GTR. It's hard to convince anyone subjective tastes, but for me Godzilla was the right choice.

I pretty much got the "modified to the tits" bug out of me with my NSX. Now I just want something that was fast out of the box, looks killer, and has all the bells and whistles I want like nav, gauges, Bluetooth, iPod integration etc all built in without resorting to the aftermarket. The car I don't think will drop to the $30k range anytime soon. It's more common than an NSX but will nev reach corvette or even viper levels around here. It will always be a niche car, don't fool yourself type-j lol.

regarding the back seat......I'm 5'8" and had the drivers seat adjusted for me and believe that left maybe 2 or 3 inches of leg room for the drivers side back seater........have you ever crammed anyone back there and can the front seats even be adjusted enough to cram anyone back there?

Owned a GT-R. Super competent and if I could have only one car that had to fill many different roles, it would be a contender. However, as a weekend or hobby car, it was BORING. Part of the problem is the paddle transmission. If its boring in a Ferrari, how much more so in a big, heavy, somewhat bland looking GTR?

GTR is a great car and incredibly fast. Just not my cup of tea. I sold it after six months and have never even considered another one. For the same money, there are a lot of other cool cars with three pedals...

My favorite GTR was the R33.

If i could compare the NSX to it, first words that would come out the mouth was that the RB had balls.

I've test driven a 2010 and a 2013 now.

I really like the car. But going slow which is what you have to do most of the time in urban environments and if you drive a GTR slow, it's not very fun.

My NSX? Drive it slow... Still fun. Medium.... Fun. Fast... Fun. With my mods it looks killer. You sit lower. The top comes off. You row through gears and press a clutch. My NSX sounds better too. I look at it everytime and think man it's pretty.

She's just sexy. I can describe the GTR in a lot of ways but probably not sexy.

I'd still buy one if I could keep another car.

Last edited:
I got to drive my coworker's GTR and I was completely shocked. I didn't think the car could move that fast and hold the corners like it did. It destroyed my NSX in everything, minus (MAYBE) braking. I however wouldn't trade my NSX for one, but wouldn't mind owning one if I had the room/funds. I think the GTR will be iconic years down the road. I do not think it will ever turn heads like our little Honda. I can definetly see now the appeal in the GTR. I just am not a fan of the looks.

Well, I under no illusions what the consensus on a NSX forum will be towards a gtr. I have owned both marques simultaneously and it's pretty much apples to oranges. They are both Japanese GTs but really cannot be more different. The NSX will always be a car in the vein of the elegant less is more school whereas the gtr is student of the sledgehammer to the fly approach. They offer very different driving experiences and don't pretend to be all things to all people. If I had room in my life right now for a 2 seater I'd still have an NSX. :)

Oyagi not to drag this discussion on, because everything has been beat to death.... but my comparison is based on a supercharged 15,000 mile 2005 with a $10k suspension and $6K brakes. If I was comparing a stock NSX to the GTR.... They really aren't in the same league. A GTR is like 5 levels up in performance and technology. It's not even close. When I say my car is more "fun", it's because it has 400+ crank HP, because it has brakes as good as a GTR, because it's suspension is as performance oriented, and it has a targa top and a stick. It also looks 3x more aggressive than when it was stock. My impressions are probably not fair, I am comparing a car I have $130K into. If I had t choose between a stock NSX and a GTR, it wouldn't be much of a decision. I've made this car to something I really like. I would have moved on otherwise. 250 WHP wouldn't cut it for me anymore.

I love your car. It's bad ass and in the right color too. "don't F with me" mean. It rocks.

Last edited:
Consider an alternative....

After selling my '05 GPW in 2010, I looked & drove everything (within reason).

The 2013 E92 M3 delivers on all levels for me....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
If I wasn't such a trackrat I would look into a GTR possibly , but I like to enjoy the feedback from the NSX. I like the feeling that if I screw I will pay for it ,and no computer will help me out of that situation .
Maybe if I can take all of the GTR's aids out? But then I'll be left with a 2002 Pontiac Aztec !! Lol.

Notice that the "track guys" are the ones saying they would one own as a daily driver , but won't replace the NSX . I notice a patter there .

-MSR

This is the third GTR thread in recent memory, and opinions always seem so polarized. I don't think there's much cross shopping between most GTR and NSX buyers. They're two different cars for different purposes. I completely respect the GTR, but it doesn't meet my requirements for an exotic sports car like the NSX does. I'm sure the other side holds true for GTR fanboys. There's not much use trying to persuade one camp to the other IMO.

If I wasn't such a trackrat I would look into a GTR possibly , but I like to enjoy the feedback from the NSX. I like the feeling that if I screw I will pay for it ,and no computer will help me out of that situation .
Maybe if I can take all of the GTR's aids out? But then I'll be left with a 2002 Pontiac Aztec !! Lol.

Notice that the "track guys" are the ones saying they would one own as a daily driver , but won't replace the NSX . I notice a patter there .

-MSR

If you screw up in a GTR you will definitely pay for it. But in the GTR it may be with yor wallet and not with your life as my as it might be with an NSX using early 90's safety technology. It's also probably an extremely rewarding car on the track. What it may not have in a clutch or seating position it makes up for in sheer speed.

I dunno.......the M3 is hands down better looking (and an awesome car) but hard to compare to an all wheel drive car with an additional 130 HP & 170 FT LB TQ available......all at a better MPG.

I love my NSX but a GTR with the auto as a DD is really appealing......

Back