• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Phoenix driveways for homeowners

Hey guys and gals,

Although I have not yet officially accepted the job offer, my family flew down and we looked at 12 homes this past Friday and Saturday. The first thing I noticed at 90% of them is that street to driveway transition. :frown: I would assume most of you have or had this issue when pulling into your driveway. I know Ryan has to pull a board out everytime so he can get into the driveway.

What are some of the things you all are doing or have done? My first natural thought would be to pour some concrete and form a more forgiving slope. However, I am thinking that most HOA's would frown at that.

just raise that low rider about 4 inches... ;-)

My drive way transition sucks and my NSX is slammed. I have to pull in at an extreme angle, back out and pull in, then back out and pull in one more time lol. It's a PIA. I believe RyanC has the Umbrella lift kit? I so need one of those.

Good luck on the job offer and house search!

Without knowing the severity of the incline a product like this is a definite possibility. They can either be stationary or left removable, and they even have extensions to widen the approach.

http://blog.bridjit.com/tag/rollover-curbs/

Yeah I stumbled on quite a few of these product types. Pretty spendy but then you have to worry about theft via jerks as well, if nothing else just to be jerks. These driveway ramps though might be the best alternative to grabbing a ramp from the garage each time you arrive/depart. My NSX isnt much lower if at all that most others sitting on coil overs, but that Difflow Diffuser is usually what gets scraped.

Congrats on the job offer! You may want to rent for a bit to get to know the valley before buying a house though (there are neighborhoods with driveways that don't have rolled curbs), although if you're looking in my zip code then I think you're going to be alright. :D

Keep us posted on your situation and good luck with the move!

I don't have a "rolled" curb. Mine is a cut curb, so no issues for me. It has to do with the amount of water expected to flow in the curb. The street in front of my house is expected to handle a lot of run-off, so the curb is a 90 degree edge giving it a greater capacity to carry water, but at driveways you could not drive over these, so they cut the curb and flush the driveway to the street. Rolled curbs handle less water and they carry across driveways in the same configuration. hope that makes sense.
Oh yeah do not live in an HOA neighborhood if you can avoid it.

There are strong fiscal reasons why we are looking to buy now instead of renting first. There's a slight drop off in my consultant pay to the full time job. ;) We have a good Realtor that knows the layout and I have roamed around quite a bit in the past 6 months. Right now the two front runners is a house in Gilbert and a house in Goodyear. In some cases, the house we are looking at will have a rolled curb but the one next door wont. :tongue:

And about the HOA, we were told that homes built after a certain date are all in HOA's so now its about finding the less douche'y HOA :D

The exception I guess is if you purchase your own lot somewhere and build with an independent builder? We would not be doing either. I have a very short window to make this all happen and don't want to drop more than $280k if possible... 3 stall garage, pool, 4bed, 2.5bath (min). Has to have a good school district because my step daughter has 3 yrs of HS left and shes a frickin mess.. so must have options should one school not turn out :miserable:

Last edited:
Thanks K, North Glendale area is also on the list. One of Gilbert's HS is ranked #3 in state, 28th in the nation. Both feel far as crap though. I know that Glendale is VERY spotty, but you don't live in a spotty neighborhood and neither does my work buddy either. I cant see the listings from work (real estate blocked... talk about stupid) but will check out later.

Last edited:
One of Gilbert's HS is ranked #3 in state, 28th in the nation. Both feel far as crap though.

I truly disliked living in the East Valley/Gilbert when I first moved to Phoenix. There is nothing to do and traffic to anywhere else is horrible
The Gilbert School Board is at war with the staff and nearly everyone else. AVOID GILBERT SCHOOLS
a very large amount of principals, teachers, and staff are departing en masse to other districts and charter schools.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/joan...acher-principal-administrator-exodus/6874503/
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ublic-schools-educators-heading-door/6918059/
http://www.kpho.com/story/25074180/gilbert-public-schools-facing-high-number-of-resignations
My real estate buddy is already starting to see unease in Gilbert district home ownership and his listings have grown.

I'm with NSXTER on the HOA topic... AVOID AN HOA, there are some good properties around town that do not have HOAs

As for the rolled curb thing, I take a severe angle on pull in / back out, have some friends that use sand bags as temp bridge
(cheap, not too heavy, and mold easy to the angle)

Feel free to give me a call in the evening to talk about Phoenix housing, schools (my wife is a teacher), general, etc

Okay, except one of the Gilbert High Schools we are looking at is ranked #3 in the state and #28 in the country. We don't have K-8 in the house. School districts as a whole can be a mess because the many always kill the few. I believe you have smaller children if I remember correctly? Anyway I'll def get a hold of you.

I'll share these articles with my wife as she's more concerned than me, I just need a place to park my car. :)

Last edited:
#truth #solvingtheproblemisbetterthansolvinganincident #nowtakingdonationsforaliftkit

#oem #4x4 #ftw

:)

Edit: Jhae, congrats again! Funny to think i might finally meet you in PHX instead of near detroit where I still visit semi-often!

Last edited:
Okay guys, its officially going to happen... unless the background check comes back and they find out I used to be an undercover operative for the CIA or something and my cover is blown... See you on the streets in a few months.

Back