• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PMC Closed?

I reached out to my local Acura dealer to see about ordering an NSX, and they told me that PMC is closed due to coronavirus with no idea when it will reopen. The cynical side of me says this is a great way to clear out the backlog of NSX's sitting on dealer lots, but can anyone with insider knowledge confirm that Acura is seriously not taking orders for new NSX's right now?

we placed an order right before the shelter in place. that's for a june/july delivery, but probably an august delivery at this point.

Thanks for the link. It actually confirms what my dealer said about the closure that was supposed to end at the end of April being officially extended by a week. But they also said their corporate contact said the *real* reopening date is TBD.

Last edited:
Wow, what rock have you been living under? There's this little virus that's been going around. It seems to have caused a bit of a problem. And by "bit" I mean that it has shut down all major auto manufacturing in NA and Europe, as well as major shutdowns in Japan. And since Japan has been late with dealing with the virus, things are probably going to get worse there in the near future.

I'm well aware of the colossal overreaction some have had to the little virus, Olyar15. But manufacturing has largely continued in many sectors. Given workers already wore masks when working in the PMC, and probably rarely got within six feet of other workers, it would seem to be as safe as it was before for them to continue operations.

From an economic standpoint, i can see why they're stop mass-producing ILXs, RDXs, etc. because they'll just sit on lots. But the NSX was already selling single-digits per month, presumably to fulfill custom orders. I had figured (hoped?) that would continue despite the little virus.

The Governors decide what works not the manufacturers...:wink:

But manufacturing has largely continued in many sectors.
Those that are deemed essential. Building cars aren't essential. Honda is not the only one affected. Pretty much all auto manufacture in NA and Europe, and even Japan, is at a standstill and only now getting restarted to some degree.
Given workers already wore masks when working in the PMC, and probably rarely got within six feet of other workers, it would seem to be as safe as it was before for them to continue operations.

From an economic standpoint, i can see why they're stop mass-producing ILXs, RDXs, etc. because they'll just sit on lots. But the NSX was already selling single-digits per month, presumably to fulfill custom orders. I had figured (hoped?) that would continue despite the little virus.
The NSX is assembled there, but the parts come from all over, including Japan and Europe. Can't build the car if they don't have the parts, can they?

Last edited:
I'm well aware of the colossal overreaction some have had to the little virus, Olyar15. But manufacturing has largely continued in many sectors. Given workers already wore masks when working in the PMC, and probably rarely got within six feet of other workers, it would seem to be as safe as it was before for them to continue operations.

I hope you are kidding about the virus, if not maybe you should stop into a funeral parlor and ask about over-reactions.

Governor DeWine was the first to declare a stay at home for non-essential work and travel. Many automakers have died from the virus. I would say it’s more than just a “ little virus”. Thousands of healthy essential workers have died, they might have had health early in their life but fairly healthy at the time of the infection. To you it might be a “ little virus” but there are Prime members who lost friends and family to the virus.

Yes, and I'm sure Prime members have lost family members to cancer, or drunk drivers, or any of a whole litany of other reasons. I know this is an emotional issue and no one is likely to change each other's minds, so I won't keep at it. I am not kidding, and actually one of the reasons I decided to pull the trigger now was to keep money flowing into the economy and presumably to help keep those folks at the PMC employed. We all have different tolerances for risk, and opinions about the risk COVID-19 actually poses. I can tell already that some folks here have a different outlook than I do; hopefully we can at least agree that belittling fellow members for their opinions is not necessary.

Yes, and I'm sure Prime members have lost family members to cancer, or drunk drivers, or any of a whole litany of other reasons.
Wow, I can't even... Yes, a lot of people die from cancer, and do you know what people do? Pour millions into research. Result: far better survivability of many cancers once thought incurable. A lot of people die from drunk drivers, and do you know what people do? Pass tougher anti-drinking and driving laws and spend money on education. Result: dropping rates of drunk driver deaths. Do you know what (rational) people do when a new infectious agent appears and causes a pandemic? Hint: it's not just shrug our shoulders and continue on as if nothing has changed.

This is a virus that has infected millions and killed around a quarter of a million people worldwide (which is almost certainly an under-reported number) and that is with people DOING SOMETHING. Even with the drastic actions that most people and governments undertook, a quarter of a million people still died. Imagine what would happen if we all just ignored it and hoped it would go away? Oh, we don't have to imagine it, because there are several examples of just how quickly the virus can spread and slam a local population, not to mention its healthcare centres; places like Wuhan, northeastern US, Italy.
We all have different tolerances for risk, and opinions about the risk COVID-19 actually poses.
Unfortunately, it's the underpriviledged that always bear the brunt of the risk, and have the least protections.
421.gif

Last edited:
Yes, and I'm sure Prime members have lost family members to cancer, or drunk drivers, or any of a whole litany of other reasons. I know this is an emotional issue and no one is likely to change each other's minds, so I won't keep at it. I am not kidding, and actually one of the reasons I decided to pull the trigger now was to keep money flowing into the economy and presumably to help keep those folks at the PMC employed. We all have different tolerances for risk, and opinions about the risk COVID-19 actually poses. I can tell already that some folks here have a different outlook than I do; hopefully we can at least agree that belittling fellow members for their opinions is not necessary.

But...you’re the one that started the belittling. All the other illnesses are known quantities. Our health system has systems in place to deal with them. This is not the case for Covid. It is new. It has overwhelmed the world’s health systems. Speak to doctors in Italy that had to literally choose who lives and who dies because they couldn’t accommodate the volume. It’s not worse than cancer. It’s not better either. It’s new. And, until we learn how to deal with it, it’s not "little".
‘The Nice thing about facts is that they’re not subject to interpretation and/or opinion. They are reality. If you choose to not accept fact and reality (which, as you said, you absolutely have the right to), well then go right ahead. I know how it has affected my family. If yours hasn’t been affected, I’m very happy for you.

I believe the belittling began with a previous poster snarkily asking what rock I've been under and proceeding to lecture me about "the little virus". I admit I matched their tone and language at first.

I don't know where you get the sense that I'm choosing not to accept fact and reality. Just because it has affected your family, doesn't mean that the nationwide/worldwide shutdown is justified. I understand why the mother of a promising child killed by a drunk driver would start a crusade to end drunk driving. I also understand why you'd take COVID-19 more personally if it personally affected you. But society makes decisions all the time; like with drunk driving, we have adopted a measured response that has significantly limited the problem but of course not eliminated it. We could eliminate all drunk driving-related deaths by banning alcohol or banning driving completely. But society has decided those responses would be out of proportion (despite the fact that there are tragic deaths literally all the time).

Okay, I had told myself I wasn't going to engage on this anymore, both because it's off-topic for this forum and because (as I said earlier) none of us are going to change each other's minds with words we type online. But before you paint me with too broad a brush, please read this article which does a good job summing up where I'm coming from: [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.drjohnm.org/2020/05/can-we-discuss-flatten-the-curve-in-covid19-my-eight-assertions/?fbclid=IwAR33jtdH-wKgvVb6fO0L_7SjGbMXsJNNwsCzzDov7VTH6E0GkwT33HM9H0Y.[/FONT]

There is a great discussion to be had about pandemics this is the first for most...Years from now we can really analyze the results of countries that dealt with it in very different ways....and for sure where you live, how much you have in the bank , and your ability to work from home makes a big difference in your risk for morbidity..

I believe the belittling began with a previous poster snarkily asking what rock I've been under and proceeding to lecture me about "the little virus". I admit I matched their tone and language at first.I don't know where you get the sense that I'm choosing not to accept fact and reality. Just because it has affected your family, doesn't mean that the nationwide/worldwide shutdown is justified. I understand why the mother of a promising child killed by a drunk driver would start a crusade to end drunk driving. I also understand why you'd take COVID-19 more personally if it personally affected you. But society makes decisions all the time; like with drunk driving, we have adopted a measured response that has significantly limited the problem but of course not eliminated it. We could eliminate all drunk driving-related deaths by banning alcohol or banning driving completely. But society has decided those responses would be out of proportion (despite the fact that there are tragic deaths literally all the time).Okay, I had told myself I wasn't going to engage on this anymore, both because it's off-topic for this forum and because (as I said earlier) none of us are going to change each other's minds with words we type online. But before you paint me with too broad a brush, please read this article which does a good job summing up where I'm coming from: [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.drjohnm.org/2020/05/can-we-discuss-flatten-the-curve-in-covid19-my-eight-assertions/?fbclid=IwAR33jtdH-wKgvVb6fO0L_7SjGbMXsJNNwsCzzDov7VTH6E0GkwT33HM9H0Y.[/FONT]
That is a pretty decent article. This virus is certainly challenging in so many respects. As stated the flattening of the curve allows the hospitals to manage the critically Covid-19 patients but does not do anything in terms of reducing the potential for serious illness. I have been following a YouTube doctor named Mike Hansen He has provided very detailed academic reports on how the virus impacts patients. Check him out. As for the virus. From what I have gathered, we are buying ourselves time so that we can attack the virus in two ways. One is to develop mitigating medications that can minimize some of the extreme examples of how the virus attacks the body. At present if you end up hooked up to a ventilator your chances of survival are pretty limited. The longer you are intubated the more likely you will die. Protocols are being changed in how patients are treated, however there are still no silver bullets in terms of medications or treatments. Long term vaccines are still a good year to year and a half out. So the virus really sucks. Some people get the virus and literally are asymptomatic and show no signs of infection while others end up in the ICU hooked up to a ventilator. Everyone is naturally upset as we are powerless to do much other than hover in place, use face masks, and social distance. I suspect we will be in this state of flux for the foreseeable future-so we should be supportive to all. So lets agree that arguing about the virus is indicative of how we feel so overwhelmed by it all. I wish everyone especially our essential caregivers and support personnel the best. We donated our government money to our local foodbank as so many people are without means even in places like Santa Barbara. As to your ordering a new car. Congratulation and welcome to the club.

It is little! About 0.1 microns small. And so it can get into just about any open part of your body very easily. Your nose, lungs, and eyes, and infect each of those areas independent of one another with a high rate of mortality relative to other communicable diseases.

Which is why this little virus is such a big deal.

Back