• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Polishing burnt stains on a stainless steel exhaust

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
My "stainless" exhaust has a stain on it. Anyone had any luck polishing this out? I've seen various aftermarket exhausts have this same type of burnt stain. Just wondering if i'm SOL of if the original shine can be brought back.

HKS.jpg

I think you are being a little too anal.
Darn and I thought someone had something constructive to say. no, i don't think i'm being anal at all.

It will cost me $50 to get this thing polished out but they could not guarantee the center section will come out shiny. Just wondering if anyone on here has had any luck with this.

Last edited:
It should come out , it will come back quickly though , signature HKS thing.

It should come out , it will come back quickly though , signature HKS thing.

lol. i had the same exhaust and has the same center show up burnt. The exhaust is nice. I like the tips that it has as well, but the center kills the exhaust when it shows up like that.

yeah when you have it jacked up on stands like that ur gonna see it, the cars probably like 2 inches off the ground, and the car behind you is probably an SUV it will never be seen.

so I'm With BrianK with this one. I put brand new Headers on another car, the first time i started the car you could watch the metal change color to a blue then dark dark blue, heat does funny things to metal. but its your car, polish away buddy..

yeah when you have it jacked up on stands like that ur gonna see it, the cars probably like 2 inches off the ground, and the car behind you is probably an suv it will never be seen.

So i'm with briank with this one. I put brand new headers on another car, the first time i started the car you could watch the metal change color to a blue then dark dark blue, heat does funny things to metal. But its your car, polish away buddy..

not if you have a 02+ rear valance. Then you really see it. Love the polish tho but its a messy job. Def need to wear a mask and full body suit.

My old HKS exhaust had the same thing. Not too long afterwards the exhaust seperated at the main seam and needed to be replaced. I loved the sound and stock look of it, but it's not a very good quality exhaust for the NSX.

Well the picture he posted is not the 02 rear valance, so thats why i said that. but I think your right about the 02 though, since its more open down near the bottom.

dont the 02+ have a screen near the bottom?

Well the picture he posted is not the 02 rear valance, so thats why i said that. but I think your right about the 02 though, since its more open down near the bottom.

dont the 02+ have a screen near the bottom?

It depends if you install one or not. I have a carbon fiber from seibon. I didnt install one because i hate them. they looks cheesy on there.

Calling @Mwagner :biggrin:

Back