• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Poll: Colour Change & 02 Conversion... Or not?

Which styling do you prefer?

• Green

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Blue

Votes: 30 71.4%

• Total voters
I'm thinking of converting my NSX to 2002+ style body in LBBP. I don't hate the green at all, but 02 LBBP is definately my favourite style. Unfortunately none of these exist in Australia so buying one isn't an option.

I'm planning on keeping this car a long time, but I'm trying to get a read on what people think this would do to the resale value, as it is a factor in the equation. I know the green is a love/hate colour, but I really have no idea what the general opinion is.

So - Which cosmetic style would you value more highly?

Marga Hills bodykit, BBS LM wheels in House of Kolor candy green:
nsxdriveway.jpg

02+ conversion as below but with silver CE28N 10-spoke wheels, Long Beach Blue Pearl:
nsxlbbp.jpg

Interior is custom trimmed tan/camel with blue perforated seat cushions and door inserts.

please... don't take this the bad way, but i don't like the color (is it a OEM Honda color??) and don't like the looks of your NSX...those side skirts and that front bumper don't match, don't have the same style...just my opinion.... it's very hard for me to like something that it's not stock...

so... my choice, of your 2 ones, would be a stock LBBP 02+ conv.

I don't like the first body kit much, so the 02 conversion wins by default (even though I prefer the pop-up headlights). LBBP is a gorgeous color.

Thanks guys keep it coming, good/bad I'm not offended, it's why I asked!

Japan did have a Lime Green available in later years which is similar but a different shade of green. I know the guy whose bodyshop did the paint - it is not a factory job and wasn't intended to match the JDM lime green... although it may have been inspired by it.

I'm a fan of the flip up lights. I think the car looks more fluid. Though your body kit is more aggressive than something I would do myself... I'd say the Green has GOT to go. LBBP is a very cool looking blue. I think i'd go with that.

I like the green with the aggresive body kit BUT I think you need big ass gt style spoiler (black), Hood with a scoop or louvered (black), more aggressive racing wheels (also with black in them), and with the leftover money turbo charge that beast. I would be jealous. Of course, I am a huge fan of green.

Wow... Green is finally on the scoreboard!

Still it looks like the blue conversion would be the far more popular with buyers if I ever lost my mind and wanted to sell. Unless the green is going to make a late run :biggrin:

Don't use anecdotal poll results as a measure of the market value.

If you're concerned about the market value of your car, then leave it as stock as possible. No body kits, and absolutely do not repaint it (assuming there are no serious problems with the current finish).

If you want to enjoy your car the way you want it, and you don't care about market value, then do whatever makes you happy.

I'd like to see green instead since that will be a rarity. If it was me, I'd get white NSX-R lamps, green vented hood, black top and mirrors and black R wing and white CE28Ns.

5772IMG_57481.jpg

I like the pop ups..... just do the 02 sides and rear update and whatever color you want. I think your green color is cool since its different and candy colors are always cool to look at.

I think you need a second NSX. :D Problem solved!

Oh no... mate... you-know-who is watching this thread.... she's gonna be wanting words with you :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
Don't use anecdotal poll results as a measure of the market value.

How would you suggest I determine what impact the conversion might have on the car's value & my ability to sell it?

nsxtasy said:
If you're concerned about the market value of your car, then leave it as stock as possible. No body kits, and absolutely do not repaint it (assuming there are no serious problems with the current finish).

This car is already repainted with a body kit. I'm confused - are you saying that at this stage applying OEM paint and OEM bodykit would be a good thing or a bad thing?

Jin1976 said:
I'd like to see green instead since that will be a rarity. If it was me, I'd get white NSX-R lamps, green vented hood, black top and mirrors and black R wing and white CE28Ns.

Jin! Considering your own blue respray and 02+ conversion... is this a case of the grass always being GREENER on the other side of the fence? :)

Green IS making a run... looks it's past bed-time for the conservative voters :p

How would you suggest I determine what impact the conversion might have on the car's value & my ability to sell it?
Talk with people who are familiar with the exotic car market in your country.

Here, repainting and body kits restrict the potential market for a given car to a tiny fraction of the overall market, and most of those who remain will demand a substantial discount.

This car is already repainted with a body kit. I'm confused - are you saying that at this stage applying OEM paint and OEM bodykit would be a good thing or a bad thing?
No, I didn't realize it's already repainted with a body kit. Which means, it's always going to have those features, so whatever they do to the market value, has already been done.

dam i have always love the Long Beach Blue Pearl, sorry have to vote for that as i would love to have one near home, but then i have always loved it with the targa as well and i'm not going to tell you to do that.

The green looks alot better in person than pics so it is harder for people to judge if they haven't seen the car in person. Do what you enjoy dont listen to everyone else that is why the factory offers a VARIETY of colours and not just one.

But if you are thinking of selling, the owner did an immaculate job with the paint so you will have to get every nook and cranny repainted in LBBP so it doesnt look funny. I think LBBP would be easier to sell as well.

What's this? Dippy posting? congrats on passing 300 posts man. And you call me the "grandma". :D

Oh no... mate... you-know-who is watching this thread.... she's gonna be wanting words with you :biggrin:

haha... she's not my girl, so i'm not worried. :D Tash's words bounce right off me..........

Besides, if she TRULY loved you...................... (lol i'm not going there ;) )

Besides, if she TRULY loved you...................... (lol i'm not going there ;) )

.... she'd let me buy a new NSX each year, no questions asked?

Words aren't the scary bit, she might set the spaniels on you :)

Good on you Dippy! You guys might have posted more times than me, but I think my post is much longer than your posts... :tongue:

A good paint job is expensive. I would do things in this order:

1) change the wheels. The gold/green thing is too much for me. I would go with some stock 2002, NSX-R wheels, or some kind of more modern looking wheel. Don't go with something too weird. A classic 5/7 spoke is nice.

2) Change the side skirts and go to factory 2002 (downforce has these).

3) 02 rear valence. Right now it looks especially funny with that side skirt and the older valence.

4) Change the front bumper to the stock bumper and install a nice lip. A full 02 conversion is nice, but costly. If you can afford it, go to 02. Otherwise a stock pre-02 bumper and a nice front lip should be fine and it won't cost you much.

5) after all is done and you still want to spend money, change the color. Your car has already lost the resale value it would lose as it has been repainted. What color was it originaly? are the door jambs/engine bay/bonnet area painted too? If not, I would consider going back to the original color and have everything match. Its one thing to freshen up a car by repainting some of it to the factory color its another to paint it some wild color but still have the original color showing when you open the hood/engine bay/doors.

I was thinking since one of the Aussie member already have a LBBP paint why not be a green one and I don't see any other green NSX in the picture. Plus green is colour of NSX S-Zero in the NSX HyperRev. Green with white wheels and white lamps looks nice in the photo I posted.
Jin! Considering your own blue respray and 02+ conversion... is this a case of the grass always being GREENER on the other side of the fence? :)

Green IS making a run... looks it's past bed-time for the conservative voters :p

Dave your're the man! You didn't even mention how much better Silver would be. I'm very impressed :)

A good paint job is expensive. I would do things in this order:

1) change the wheels. The gold/green thing is too much for me. I would go with some stock 2002, NSX-R wheels, or some kind of more modern looking wheel. Don't go with something too weird. A classic 5/7 spoke is nice.

I agree that the 02 style looks good with a simple wheel. I have classic 5 spoke Enkei wheels on my MR2 so was looking for something a little different to that. I love the look of the 7 spoke factory 02s, but even used sets don't come cheaply, and when I could get 10 spoke Volk CE28N for roughly the same $ and save ~40lbs all up (with 17x7.5F, 17x9R), that's a pretty attractive package.

2) Change the side skirts and go to factory 2002 (downforce has these).

Yes, when Downforce brought out the factory 02 skirts, that got the ball rolling in my mind. I've ordered a conversion package from them, including skirts.

3) 02 rear valence. Right now it looks especially funny with that side skirt and the older valence.

You're not the only one to have mentioned that. But the JDM rear valance is perfectly suited for slimline aussie number plates... just the right horizontal size. I might go down that route eventually, but I'm hoping that with the higher 02 skirts, things will line up much better.

4) Change the front bumper to the stock bumper and install a nice lip. A full 02 conversion is nice, but costly. If you can afford it, go to 02. Otherwise a stock pre-02 bumper and a nice front lip should be fine and it won't cost you much.

02 front end conversion is part of the package from DF. They're able to offer discounts for a package, and combine items for shipping, which made it worthwhile to get these now too. Includes Honda OEM hood, OEM lip + DF replica lip (1 as a spare). So I've ordered everything except the RHD beam pattern headlights.

5) after all is done and you still want to spend money, change the color. Your car has already lost the resale value it would lose as it has been repainted. What color was it originaly? are the door jambs/engine bay/bonnet area painted too? If not, I would consider going back to the original color and have everything match. Its one thing to freshen up a car by repainting some of it to the factory color its another to paint it some wild color but still have the original color showing when you open the hood/engine bay/doors.

If the colour is to be changed, it makes sense to change the colour whilst installing the 02 parts because the current green paint is hideously expensive. I mean it's from a different planet. One of the reasons I'm doing the conversion is to avoid the costs of maintaining the showcar green paintjob on a car that sees a lot of driving. So to paint the new parts green would not be a cheap temporary measure as it might be for an OEM colour.

The car is green inside and out. It was originally black, but I had not been able to tell this even when taking out the dashboard and carpet. Nor had any mechanic been able to tell. It was stripped completely to the body shell only - no wires, no mechanical parts, nothing left inside or out.

The man who did the mechanical work somehow got the car back together perfectly. Unfortunately from what I hear this genius has moved to Japan and him aside I really don't trust anyone outside the factory to disassemble and reassemble an entire NSX. It's not just the cost - I currently have a mechanically perfect car and I'm very reluctant to mess with that.

I realise I might get lynched here for this, but I'm doing this for my own enjoyment, not primarly out of consideration for resale value, which probably can't be made much worse than it already is.

So what I've agreed on with the painter - the same man who did the green paintjob - is to paint 90% of the car. The exterior is to be totally stripped (doors removed and disassembled, glass, body panels, trim etc).

The engine bay will be painted black without removing the engine. There might be a little black overspray on some black insulation somewhere but to me it is a practical solution in terms of costs and the risks of completely stripping the engine bay. Behind the dash and the lower part of the front compartment will have some green remaining. Again it's a personal choice and if I ever sell the car, the next owner is more than welcome to put the discount these areas give him towards painting that last unseen 10%.

I hope all this seems reasonable. Let me know if it doesn't because I've read a lot of your posts and respect your opinion.

Last edited:
wow that sounds like an incredible paint job if the car was stripped to the shell.. wow... That must have cost A LOT of money.

I would be very hesitant to mess with that. Especially if its the show quality paint you are talking about. You have a one-off NSX. People go through A LOT of time and expense to make their car one-off... now you want to go back a standard color? I would really think twice about that. If the paint job is that thorough and that good, it may be quite valuable.

I don't know Oz, I would seriously consider keeping the green after knowing these details. I think with the rest of the stuff done your car will look very nice.

wow that sounds like an incredible paint job if the car was stripped to the shell.. wow... That must have cost A LOT of money..... If the paint job is that thorough and that good, it may be quite valuable.

Yes it must have cost an insane amount. But when he came to sell it, he had difficulty, and eventually ended up accepting almost US$20,000 less than he might have got for a stock car in the same condition.

As someone else wrote to me, the candy green "makes all the grandpas in short shorts run away". The blue & camel interior might have also done it. I think it's safe to say that even with the insane cost and complete nature of the mods and paint, compared to stock it detracts significantly from the car's value.

Also remember that there seem to be no other LBBP 02s in Australia so it would still also be unique in Australia if repainted: the one Jin mentioned is an very agressive auto 02+ conversion with vented hood, hatch scoop etc in Audi RS4 blue. I've seen it and drooled on it (sorry mate!) but it's certainly very different from the stock 02+ LBBP look I have in mind.

Am I nuts? If you say I'm nuts, I'm nuts :)

Back