• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

I also rebuilt my front Brembos. It's been sitting in a box since 2015 NSXPO at Thunderhill because of bad vibrations under braking. As mentioned earlier, 1 or more of the pistons may have seized. The calipers need a fresh coat of powdercoat. They've seen better days. I wanted to get them on the car and tested before I spent the money to get them refinished. After several miles of testing they seem to work as normal. These have a 38/42mm piston size so the front bias with the stock rear NA2 brakes are insane. My 00+ ABS was being exercised like crazy yesterday. Now I'll have the messy job of taking these off (again) to prep them for a refinish. I think i'm getting too old for this haha
AM-JKLVoYUXXw3tYLFCbTfruRvgCWj9A7mOXJ7XkcUEw5E8bz4qegscPhHwMzYgFJAy5BtpMTfGerO5p0UIzMYMrtUVC66W9taly1v_OE3lKqK1AI8YDc7r2O2sdpjbXNZViHFj8tKs4l2B2C4oR0AEDwugkYg=w1496-h1994-no

AM-JKLWwhlOZdLi70UXbbM_MKbq2sb240Fd0uz0jpzzBQND4WZHYHsy6XBMLRmfE_jZTylgqNyaOucPayQssS2epHx2DMZa2j6im348NSMRGRwmUc8v-DtTsyhJv12Bmis34oZb3ruzopni8LEZVue8MxffDew=w1496-h1994-no

[/IMG]

I've used a similar brake setup on my NSX with Brembo (ex Porsche 996 turbo) calipers with 38 and 44 mm pistons on 322x32 disks upfront and CP 7611 38.1mm X2 calipers on rear NA2 disks.
There was sitll too much front bias but worse, one of the rear disks literally disintegrated during a 120+ mph stop...
I'm now upgrading the rear to the Brembo BBK for the NSX with 330x28 disks and 36 and 40 mm caliper pistons that should give me a 53.78% front bias.
At least these are available!

I've used a similar brake setup on my NSX with Brembo (ex Porsche 996 turbo) calipers with 38 and 44 mm pistons on 322x32 disks upfront and CP 7611 38.1mm X2 calipers on rear NA2 disks.
There was sitll too much front bias but worse, one of the rear disks literally disintegrated during a 120+ mph stop...
I'm now upgrading the rear to the Brembo BBK for the NSX with 330x28 disks and 36 and 40 mm caliper pistons that should give me a 53.78% front bias.
At least these are available!
53.8% doesn't sound too bad. It's very close to the NA2 OEM bias. How do you like it? Does it want to rotate on your during hard braking? Probably super easy to trail brake?

I can say for sure anything over 70% bias, which is pretty much any front BBK and stock rear, is useless for me. The front locks up way too easily. I'm not that good of a driver.

Last edited:
The ST setup F/R is definitely very good. I think it's probably the best thought out BBK that's paired properly with the OEM master cylinder. At the moment, Stoptech/Centric is super backordered on the NSX ST40 kits so you can't even get them. The e-brake setup has no ETA. I was headed down this path in November but decided to just try something new as I have a large pile of random parts for experiments with various cars over the years.

Asides from a tried and true off the shelf solution like the rear ST40 BBK, my setup uses a little lighter monoblock Boxster S caliper with a more favorable bias (at least in my mind because not many humans can feel 3% difference in bias). The ST40 kits uses the same 2 piece caliper with 34/38 front pistons and 28/28 rear pistons, but on the same bulky caliper. I'm now on 34/38 F & 29/31 R. It's marginally a winner for bench racing conversations! LOL

EDIT: If there is any tiny bit of silver lining. I'm approaching the low end of 2600lbs of total vehicle weight with a full interior so a little bit of weight savings here and there is nice. I'll see if this rear BBK solution will be good for the long terms. I may just end up with an ST40 kit when it becomes available.

We Dont Lift have been heavily involved with StopTech and they sponsor the race car. But the rumor is they are closing down. That is why getting anything from them is sketchy at best. Glad I have an extra two (2) sets of pads.

But low 2600 lbs?! I must know what part of the car you cut off to get down to that weight. I expect to be heavier with a twin turbo and WTA intercooler but I'd like to find another 100 pounds to lose. Tell me your secret oh Master.

We Dont Lift have been heavily involved with StopTech and they sponsor the race car. But the rumor is they are closing down. That is why getting anything from them is sketchy at best. Glad I have an extra two (2) sets of pads.

But low 2600 lbs?! I must know what part of the car you cut off to get down to that weight. I expect to be heavier with a twin turbo and WTA intercooler but I'd like to find another 100 pounds to lose. Tell me your secret oh Master.

Oh man... I don't doubt you but I truly hope that's not true about ST. They've been an amazing contributor to the aftermarket community. I was at their Will Call facility here in LA in December. The warehouse was still full. I wonder if this is a recent development.

Although, I haven't seen your car since SF NSXPO, in terms of the weight reduction, in your NA1 coupe the 100lbs you're looking is in the front and rear bumper crash beams (replace them to the Alum ones), bucket race bucket seats, lighter main 12v battery, and 02 headlight conversion (that's at least net 40-50lbs saved). Let me know.. happy to help you with this (but your wallet might not be so happy!)

My car is near 2600lbs even with the pnuematic axle lift, heavy S2K EPS, full interior, subwoofer, and full front underbody. It was just shy over 2700lbs with the CTSC. I have yet to weigh it with the ITBs, but soon! There's no where else in the car i'd want to remove weight from honestly.. well... at least none that I can afford.

53.8% doesn't sound too bad. It's very close to the NA2 OEM bias. How do you like it? Does it want to rotate on your during hard braking? Probably super easy to trail brake?

I can say for sure anything over 70% bias, which is pretty much any front BBK and stock rear, is useless for me. The front locks up way too easily. I'm not that good of a driver.
I'll update you when the rear Brembo BBK is installed on the car.
As for the weight I'm at 1301 kg (2865 lbs) with a half a tank full.
This is with my LoveFab turbo, NA2 headlights, bucket seats, CE 22 wheels.
I'll have to measure again since I went back to NA.

Oh man... I don't doubt you but I truly hope that's not true about ST. They've been an amazing contributor to the aftermarket community. I was at their Will Call facility here in LA in December. The warehouse was still full. I wonder if this is a recent development.

Although, I haven't seen your car since SF NSXPO, in terms of the weight reduction, in your NA1 coupe the 100lbs you're looking is in the front and rear bumper crash beams (replace them to the Alum ones), bucket race bucket seats, lighter main 12v battery, and 02 headlight conversion (that's at least net 40-50lbs saved). Let me know.. happy to help you with this (but your wallet might not be so happy!)

My car is near 2600lbs even with the pnuematic axle lift, heavy S2K EPS, full interior, subwoofer, and full front underbody. It was just shy over 2700lbs with the CTSC. I have yet to weigh it with the ITBs, but soon! There's no where else in the car i'd want to remove weight from honestly.. well... at least none that I can afford.

The only thing I have not done on your list is the 02 face lift. Aluminum Beams front and rear, Recaro Pole Position seats, AntiGravity Battery, R & R stereo with a lighter system too. I'm down to 2800 but would love to lose another 100 if I could find it!

The only thing I have not done on your list is the 02 face lift. Aluminum Beams front and rear, Recaro Pole Position seats, AntiGravity Battery, R & R stereo with a lighter system too. I'm down to 2800 but would love to lose another 100 if I could find it!
hmm... setting aside the 02 front end... remove the stock rear wing as that weights a few pounds more than a good R replica wing, though some replica wings are heavy too. I run a discontinued NRG R wing. I run pretty much no rear decklid cover, very light carbon hood from Procar, no head unit, no spare tire, the JRZs I run are a little lighter than the Stainless Steel KWs... i'm not sure.. it might just be incremental at this point. The 100lbs might just be difference of the 02 front end I have and the turbo system you have? Maybe the wheels and my titanium exhaust too? The Comptech i'm using now added some weight back into the car... Maybe 5lbs net. Will think more!

I'll be re-weighing the car once the new motor is in. I wouldn't be surprised if i'm back to low 2700lbs again.

hmm... setting aside the 02 front end... remove the stock rear wing as that weights a few pounds more than a good R replica wing, though some replica wings are heavy too. I run a discontinued NRG R wing. I run pretty much no rear decklid cover, very light carbon hood from Procar, no head unit, no spare tire, the JRZs I run are a little lighter than the Stainless Steel KWs... i'm not sure.. it might just be incremental at this point. The 100lbs might just be difference of the 02 front end I have and the turbo system you have? Maybe the wheels and my titanium exhaust too? The Comptech i'm using now added some weight back into the car... Maybe 5lbs net. Will think more!

I'll be re-weighing the car once the new motor is in. I wouldn't be surprised if i'm back to low 2700lbs again.

Lightweight is truly the spirit of the NSX. One option for the rear wing to keep it OEM and tidy is the Early Type R / Type-S wing. It's a few pounds lighter than the standard wing and keeps the factory look. Call me crazy, but I've always felt the NA2 R wing looked out of place on a NSX without all the other R pieces (white wheels, headlights, etc).

Lightweight is truly the spirit of the NSX. One option for the rear wing to keep it OEM and tidy is the Early Type R / Type-S wing. It's a few pounds lighter than the standard wing and keeps the factory look. Call me crazy, but I've always felt the NA2 R wing looked out of place on a NSX without all the other R pieces (white wheels, headlights, etc).

Other option would be CF OEM wing, ATR has it, you can see here the weight savings:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/170650-BBVNSX-93-EDM-NSX-From-Portugal!/page5?p=1976828&viewfull=1#post1976828

I have Downforce ducted hood and vent, front fenders, rear wing and rear diffuser. No room for a spare tire, BC Racing coilovers, Stoptechs on all four corners with Advan model 5's with Dunlop Star Spec 3's. The exhaust is custom SS due to twin turbos. No tool tray or tools. And kite side scoops saved some weight.

When I get back from Global Time Attack at Circuit of the Americas, I'll weigh her again and check the corner balance and alignment. I may have used the corner balance set up with (with driver ballast added) as that number so I'll confirm with the car only and wet. Wet meaning with fluids. I'll report back next week.

After refreshing myself with the DAL site... I think our ability to properly degree the cams will be the make or break.

Might be worth a call to Shad- he is the only one I know of who has actually done it on the C30. Does HQ have an engine dyno?

It's funny how tame it looks with the cam gear covers on, valve covers on, fuel rail/injectors on, ITBs on, and engine harness. I have a lot to clean up on this. Namely spend some time to tuck the harness better and refinish the valve covers. We won't have the luxury to adjust the cam gears until this comes out again, perhaps after break-in or just when it breaks, jk. cross fingers! I want to spend some time tuning this carefully. Will probably log at least 3000 miles on it before I really go for some dyno peak numbers.

AM-JKLV0Dl8YwhdJDaXocfzBPqf7VxtNoYLdNgPku2VahuFDtEsnlPTA2mkJy7GfeY2_O9h-Ei5qEWxBOw8nFnM2aCVNHFgt9HegeZXZYIpdq6k4CN6JN2EExYIIHyl-bvo-ilBYiQEAb22N_mgo4tVxsXd-8A=w1600-h1200-no

@Honcho no engine dyno at HQE. C'mon man.. it's a Honda shop, not a Cosworth! :D

Last edited:
Major delay during the install this wknd. I took the entire day off on Saturday to help. While the new motor already settled into the car, a header bolt managed to break off off the Comptech heads...an often overlooked item. In retrospect, should have taken care of this while the motor was on the engine stand. That killed our day. Waiting for the welder to extract that puppy. Major PITA and probably a day or so set back.

Major delay during the install this wknd. I took the entire day off on Saturday to help. While the new motor already settled into the car, a header bolt managed to break off off the Comptech heads...an often overlooked item. In retrospect, should have taken care of this while the motor was on the engine stand. That killed our day. Waiting for the welder to extract that puppy. Major PITA and probably a day or so set back.

Aw man- what a momentum killer! Hopefully it comes out without issue and you can get back to the fun part.

Well, this is unexpected. Work was busy today so I couldn't be at the shop.

If you couldn't guess... this was initial start-up. Fired right up even with the stock motor base map. Cams don't sound too aggressive. I'll be there tomorrow to get a better read and work on the tune a bit.

https://youtu.be/vNIkTJYLJxQ

(no judgment on the shitty looking engine bay!)

Last edited:
Back