• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pressure Washer Questions

HELP!

:confused:

I'm currently in the "narrowing-down" process for a pressure washer. However, after visiting at least four dedicated websites for various power equipment, I'm now more lost than before.

I do have some questions for those of you out there who are quite picky about your detailed car. However, let me give a brief up to the minute status:

The entire car was recently repainted (September 2003) by one of our NSXPO 2003 sponsors - Fabrication Specialties because of the 2-door key job done earlier in the year. :mad:

I want to utilize the maximum psi that the car can handle without damaging it. However, with the endless choices out there, I'm not too sure where to start...other than my $500 budget! ;)

Questions for those in the know...

1. What's the desired number of "cleaning units?"
2. Is thermal protection even necessary?
3. Do you recommend "low oil shut-down?"
4. Electric/Gas/Diesel preferred?
5. Any specific brand better than others (leaning towards gas/honda powered...for obvious reasons)?
6. Max/Min PSI?
7. Gallons/Minute (PGM) minimum needed?

I believe those questions/will certainly point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help and recommendations, it's truly appreciated!

BTW: websites visited...

1. southwestfastener.com
2. Home Depot
3. BuyKimco.com
4. portercable.com

1UFO 2C

I have a Karcher 2400 psi washer that I bought at Costco. However, I don't use it to wash the NSX. In fact, I don't use it to wash the other cars, and rarely the boat. There is most always some film that it can't get off. So, if your picky I think you stand a chance at being dissapointed if your sole reason for purchasing a pressure washer is to wash your NSX, assuming a compareable washer (and mine was withing your budget).

1UFO 2C said:
HELP!

:confused:

I'm currently in the "narrowing-down" process for a pressure washer. However, after visiting at least four dedicated websites for various power equipment, I'm now more lost than before.

I do have some questions for those of you out there who are quite picky about your detailed car. However, let me give a brief up to the minute status:

The entire car was recently repainted (September 2003) by one of our NSXPO 2003 sponsors - Fabrication Specialties because of the 2-door key job done earlier in the year. :mad:

I want to utilize the maximum psi that the car can handle without damaging it. However, with the endless choices out there, I'm not too sure where to start...other than my $500 budget! ;)

Questions for those in the know...

1. What's the desired number of "cleaning units?"
2. Is thermal protection even necessary?
3. Do you recommend "low oil shut-down?"
4. Electric/Gas/Diesel preferred?
5. Any specific brand better than others (leaning towards gas/honda powered...for obvious reasons)?
6. Max/Min PSI?
7. Gallons/Minute (PGM) minimum needed?

I believe those questions/will certainly point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help and recommendations, it's truly appreciated!

BTW: websites visited...

1. southwestfastener.com
2. Home Depot
3. BuyKimco.com
4. portercable.com

1UFO 2C

Honestly, you need something between 1750 and 2700 PSI. If you get a 2700 psi, just be careful not to hold it right on top of the paint (duh). 1700 may not be strong enough to get the bugs off and also, they're usually cheap and have an ackward spraying tip (usually just a straight jet or a poor triangle shaped jet stream).

I have a Honda 6hp 2700psi pressure washer with a detergent feed that I use on all the cars I detail. The 2700 is great because all I need is a citrus based wheel cleaner and the pressure washer and I never have to touch the rims! It does the job PERFECT!!

KGP said:
I have a Karcher 2400 psi washer that I bought at Costco. However, I don't use it to wash the NSX. In fact, I don't use it to wash the other cars, and rarely the boat. There is most always some film that it can't get off. So, if your picky I think you stand a chance at being dissapointed if your sole reason for purchasing a pressure washer is to wash your NSX, assuming a compareable washer (and mine was withing your budget).

Ditto. I have the same one but don't use it to wash the NSX. I was using it to wash my X-5 until I left the super high pressure tip in and stripped the paint off the hood. I only had it on for a second too. :mad:

I've had about 5 pressure washers, as they seem to only want to work for about 1-2 years max. I only need and use the small electric Karcher type to wash the cars and every so often spray down the house or concrete. I think they are around 1200-1500 psi. The last three I have bought at Costco and with their marvelous return policy, I just take it back when it dies and get another new one. Keep the receipt and they have a no questions asked policy of returning items(except computers-6 mos. max) Kinda like a lifetime warranty!
John

BTW, My wife has worked there since 1986 and her nickname for the returns dept. is "The Dump".

Mine looks simlar to this one, although Costco has specific models unique to them.
1141966.jpg

ANYTIME said:
I have bought at Costco and with their marvelous return policy, I just take it back when it dies and get another new one. Keep the receipt and they have a no questions asked policy of returning items...
I know, their policy blows me away! Take John's advice. They really do have a no questions asked policy.

On the pressure washers: I suppose my washer could do a decent job on my car in term of getting most of the film off, but the time spent would far exceed what it takes to hand wash it. Hand washing is just easier.

Thanks to all of you for your advice! I truly appreciate your taking the time to respond and point me in the right direction.

Although the main reason for the washer is for the car, I'll certainly use it on other home projects.

After talking with some Sacramento NSXers and the body shop, the consensus is that people put swirl marks/spider webs into the paint because they don't properly get all of the dirt off of the car. Most garden hoses don't properly prepare the car to be washed.

Once they start washing the car, they are moving around all the remaining dirt into the paint. Although we're talking a minute amount of dirt, it definitely makes a difference...especially with black cars!

The other point I was told was to hook up the hose to the water heater to utilize hot water rather than cold to initially rinse. This will get even more of the dirt off the car prior to washing.

Thanks agin for the opinions/advice! Again, it's appreciated!

1UFO 2C

Hey Brian,

First off I would, like others have said, not use a pressure washer on the car. This is for more reasons than just peeling off the paint. Pressurized water gets where it is really not supposed to. It can work its way into the lenses of the tail lights and markers, it can get behind the windshield trim etc.

To help with swirls, use two wash mits and two buckets. One bucket has soapy water the other has clean water with no soap. Wash one panel at a time starting with the top half. Wash the panel then dunk the dirty mit into the clean rinse bucket. Repeat this for the whole top half of the car. Then do the bottom half of the car with a different wash mit. Use the same technique. For the wheels use another wash mit (one just for the wheels)

I suppose you can use a pressure washer, I just choose not to.

Jeff

Hiroshima said:
Hey Brian,

First off I would, like others have said, not use a pressure washer on the car. This is for more reasons than just peeling off the paint. Pressurized water gets where it is really not supposed to. It can work its way into the lenses of the tail lights and markers, it can get behind the windshield trim etc.

To help with swirls, use two wash mits and two buckets. One bucket has soapy water the other has clean water with no soap. Wash one panel at a time starting with the top half. Wash the panel then dunk the dirty mit into the clean rinse bucket. Repeat this for the whole top half of the car. Then do the bottom half of the car with a different wash mit. Use the same technique. For the wheels use another wash mit (one just for the wheels)

I suppose you can use a pressure washer, I just choose not to.

Jeff

I really hate to play "devil's advocate" but why do you think that every single mobile detailing unit comes standard with a pressure washer? As mentioned, a garden hose will NOT, I repeat, will NOT properly clean the paint prior to hand-washing. Not even a pressure nozzle on a hose.

A pressure washer with a broad spray at between 1700-2600psi will be fine, just don't hold it closer than 3-4 inches from the paint. You won't need to.

As mentioned, do not pressure wash too long around lights, windows, and cracks in the engine bay and what not. There aren't too many places that some water will hurt. The lights are one exception.

A pressure washer is a great tool for helping you wash your car properly and is utilized by every pro I know. Two mitts is also a must. One for the top half and one for the bottom. Also, two buckets is a must...a rinse bucket and a clean soapy water bucket.

I also should say I tried a new soap today and it was PHENOMENAL!! It's called Ultra-Violet Premium Wash-N-Wax. It's a commercial strength cleaner, but truly a great product!

Meguiar's "Hot Rim's" cleaner is the best rim cleaner by far that I have ever used. Spray it on and gently run a mitt over the wheel and they look brand new. Take off all the grim, no effort.

ANYTIME said:

Mine looks simlar to this one, although Costco has specific models unique to them.
1141966.jpg

That is the same one my brother in law had until I backed over it with my pick up. I wonder if Costso would take it back. LOL. He was pretty pissed, it was just a few days old.

Brian2by2 said:
I really hate to play "devil's advocate" but why do you think that every single mobile detailing unit comes standard with a pressure washer? As mentioned, a garden hose will NOT, I repeat, will NOT properly clean the paint prior to hand-washing. Not even a pressure nozzle on a hose.

A pressure washer with a broad spray at between 1700-2600psi will be fine, just don't hold it closer than 3-4 inches from the paint. You won't need to.

As mentioned, do not pressure wash too long around lights, windows, and cracks in the engine bay and what not. There aren't too many places that some water will hurt. The lights are one exception.

A pressure washer is a great tool for helping you wash your car properly and is utilized by every pro I know. Two mitts is also a must. One for the top half and one for the bottom. Also, two buckets is a must...a rinse bucket and a clean soapy water bucket.

I also should say I tried a new soap today and it was PHENOMENAL!! It's called Ultra-Violet Premium Wash-N-Wax. It's a commercial strength cleaner, but truly a great product!

No flames intended. :) ...

The reason I think/know they carry pressure washers is this: Most mobil detailing vans carry their own water rather than relying on water hookups at their locations. Why to I know, because I asked the one that comes to my office.

They need a method of getting water on the car and a pressue washer fits the bill nicely. It also does all the things that you mentioned.... but would I use one on my car? No. But that is just me. If you clay your car, or use any kind of instant detailer you would be just as guilty as using a wash mit. Both pick up contaminants and all use some sort of method to suspend those particles so they don't impart more scratches. Soap is the medium that is used for wash mits or sponges. Is a pressure washer better at removing dirt particles that say a sheepskin mit? Yes. But while it is getting off that pesky dirt, it is also stripping any kind of wax you have left on the outside of your car.

So in the end you really are the one who is correct. The pressure washer WILL remove more dirt without putting swirl marks in the paint. This is good!!! But, and its a big but, I can't image waxing my car every time I wash it just because I just power washed off all my wax.

To each is own.

steveny said:
Meguiar's "Hot Rim's" cleaner is the best rim cleaner by far that I have ever used. Spray it on and gently run a mitt over the wheel and they look brand new. Take off all the grim, no effort.

Not to hijack the topic, but this weekend I used 50/50 isopropyl (ie 70% strength) alcohol and water mix on some rims that had brake dust, and I was surprising how easily the dust started following the gravity of the liquid's flow ...... the same 50/50 mix was recommended as"cleanser" before applying wax.

Now Brian, you are getting way to anal! Jeff gives good advice given his resume ...... and for the bad bugs use one of those kitchen nylon/foam pads - car washes use the same. But one early Dawn Patrol with the gang and all your worries will go away after that .... or follow Kip for a few laps and you will need a new paint job .... LOL!

;)

Well, just don't use the pressure cleaner too close to the paint to keep the wax on there.

I generally use it a good foot or so away, just enough so that there's much more pressure than the garden hose, but not enough to strip the wax. The water beads right up and rolls right off.

I do get close to the paint (4 or 5 inches) for bugs, bird bombs and around the back of the wheels where dirt kicks up.

The pressure cleaner is great for removing the big things of dirt but is in no way a substitute for a wool mitt and soap. It's just, plain garden hose water and a mitt won't really remove the dirt, etc. prior to rubbing that soapy water over it.

And I see nothing wrong with a good detailer spray RIGHT after washing and blowing off the car (yes, with a leaf blower) to make sure its dust free). The detailer spray lube's the car up pretty good! I HIGHLY recommend Meguiars Quik Detail spray! I use it on all the customers cars, basic wash or full on detail. Never ever had a complaint yet.

A heartfelt "THANK YOU" for all of your responses...devil's advocate and all. Although the primary reason for the purchase was for the car, I also see additional usage in other areas around the house. So, I'm still leaning towards getting one.

After paying a part of the $11k price (insurance - the other) for the entire "repaint," I'm now in Jeff territory...being a bit anal! I know tracking the car 8-10 times/year will invite additional aggravation, but you have to pay to play!

Thanks again for the help guys....it's truly appreciated!

Off to the website I go...I gotta' get a pressure washer! :D

- Brian

OK I have to chime in now.

When I was in high school and college, I made my spending money by taking care of rich people's toys (Fancy cars, yachts, motor coaches, etc). From those years of experience, experience with my darkly painted vehicles, and knowing other detailers that make their living cleaning other people's toys, here is what I have found.

When using a LOW pressure, electric pressure washer (1200 to 1700psi), like most of the people here are recommending, stripping of your wax or damaging of your paint does NOT happen. There is a little thing called surface tension that keeps the lowest layer of dirt/dust and the wax underneath the dirt from coming off. Thats why you still have to hand wash a car to get it totally clean even after pressure washing. Correctly used, a low pressure, pressure washer is the BEST way to wash off any large dirt, mud, or sand particles from your paint before you do a hand wash. Doing this before you perform your hand washing WILL keep you from scratching the clear coat finish of ANY vehicle.

Yes, if your insane and use a commercial 5000psi pressure washer on your car, you will be getting a new paint job. For pete sake you can cut holes in concrete with those things, so guess which pressure washer you don't buy for automotive use...

And Yes, if you’re a not paying attention, you can spray water into places you don't want water to go, but its just water, and if you pay attention to what you are doing, you shouldn't have a problem. Of course if you have a problem handling a simple pressure washer, how do you expect to be able to operate the far more complicated machine known as the NSX?

But hey, if you want to try to keep track of which cleaning mit was the one you started with and which is the next one you need to use, every time you wash your NSX, and risk scratching your clear coat... GO FOR IT.

To 1UFO 2C... good choice to get one, there are a million uses for a pressure washer in addition to pre-washing your car.

Back