• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pride Header Install problem

View attachment 154026Pride header install. Well I finally got them installed total time about 6 hours. Ran into a couple small problems but nothing major. Mostly with the studs in the head and the ac bracket bolts that slowed me down.

I do have one large problem that I can’t seem to solve. When putting on the final brace. It hits the header on the rear bank and won’t line up with the holes in the body. Anyone have a fix for this? The way the brace is made can’t just grind it down to fit since it would be on the welds. The only thing I can think of is to cut it and reweld a bracing bracket further down. So further clarification. At the top where the header pipe turns down it hits were the inverted v bracket would go.

Btw sound is great much more aggressive at higher rpms but still mellow below 2500...

Last edited:
Update. Pride sent me out a new set of rear headers and they fit perfect. So whatever problem they had it looks like they have identified it and corrected it.

No complaints, they had an issue with the product and took care of the customer in a timely manner with good communication. To me the mark of a good company.

Btw why the headers sound great...

For the studs on the head, how did you fix it? Buy new studs? I want a set of headers too but afraid that I'll snap the manifold studs off due to my car being a 91. The exhaust bolts were rusted shut.

Update. Pride sent me out a new set of rear headers and they fit perfect. So whatever problem they had it looks like they have identified it and corrected it.

No complaints, they had an issue with the product and took care of the customer in a timely manner with good communication. To me the mark of a good company.

Btw why the headers sound great...

Thank you for updating the thread, sorry you had a setback and needed to replace them to begin with.

For the studs on the head, how did you fix it? Buy new studs? I want a set of headers too but afraid that I'll snap the manifold studs off due to my car being a 91. The exhaust bolts were rusted shut.

I remember [MENTION=3729]Larry Bastanza[/MENTION] mentioning to me that he always keeps a bunch of new studs on hand when doing a header install for this reason. They are cheap from Honda, so I think you should just buy them. I will when I do mine!

Had to replace just 2. It’s just a tight fit so getting them on around and over the studs was some work..

The first thing to do is blast each nut on the header studs with PBBlaster. Do this a few hours before your start. Most of the time, when I have an issue, I have had the nut/stud combo stay seized and the removal takes the stud out with the nut. If so you can separate them on the bench, or just replace the stud and use a new nut. I have not had a stud snap. Also make sure you ONLY use a 6 point socket for the nut removal, 12 point will cause issues, and strip the nut.

HTH,
LarryB

The first thing to do is blast each nut on the header studs with PBBlaster. Do this a few hours before your start. Most of the time, when I have an issue, I have had the nut/stud combo stay seized and the removal takes the stud out with the nut. If so you can separate them on the bench, or just replace the stud and use a new nut. I have not had a stud snap. Also make sure you ONLY use a 6 point socket for the nut removal, 12 point will cause issues, and strip the nut.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks, Larry. I'll just order a few studs and nuts in case when I get to it. I only use 6 pt anyways, not sure why people would use 12 point sockets on a 6 point hex nut.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry do you use an impact gun on the nuts or break them by hand?

Back