• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pulled over because of my GruppeM exhaust.

Last night as I was leaving a party, thankfully I did not have any drinks in me. Well 5 miles from the party I was pulled over while I was driving home a cop tails me for about 2 miles and then I see the flashes of red and blue. He was actually a cool guy. We chatted a bit about the NSX he asked me about my mods that I had to the car, I just kept quiet while he looked around the car. I drive around without my engine cover and so he kept looking at my engine. The cops here in my town are taught about illegal mods because they are able to tow and impound your car (revenue for them) if you have these mods. He was looking at my engine and if I would of got that GruppeM intake I would of been in trouble. He hands me back my DL and registration and tells me that he's giving me a warning but he could give me a ticket for a loud exhaust and let's me go.

Last night as I was leaving a party, thankfully I did not have any drinks in me. Well 5 miles from the party I was pulled over while I was driving home a cop tails me for about 2 miles and then I see the flashes of red and blue. He was actually a cool guy. We chatted a bit about the NSX he asked me about my mods that I had to the car, I just kept quiet while he looked around the car. I drive around without my engine cover and so he kept looking at my engine. The cops here in my town are taught about illegal mods because they are able to tow and impound your car (revenue for them) if you have these mods. He was looking at my engine and if I would of got that GruppeM intake I would of been in trouble. He hands me back my DL and registration and tells me that he's giving me a warning but he could give me a ticket for a loud exhaust and let's me go.

why would you have got in trouble for the GruppeM intake??

You got lucky.
What blows me away is that some Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Aston-Martins sound louder from the factory that some NSX aftermarket exhausts. (ever hear a Vanquish at full song ? KILLER ! )

I'm looking into turbo kits and one of them says a stock air filter box can be put over the intake pipe with all the rest hung under the car for a stock look. Never thought this to be an issue at least here in Tx but rules and regulations will never get more lax, only tougher.

Intake must be enclosed and not open air like the GruppeM.

Jeff

really? never heard of that. Guess thats one thing i do like about kansas. They arnt retarded about cars

The officer probably couldn't find anything wrong with your car and just decided to let you go. How can they tell if your exhaust is louder then the limit anyways just by driving behind you?

Harley Davidson Exhaust are louder than any car exhaust. I live next to a 4 line wide street and hear them in the middle of the night all the time.

How come the don't get ticketed for loud exhaust.

Some cities are cracking down hard on street racing and pulling cars over that have "any" mods. Even tinted windows. I just put the stock exhaust back on my car due to Elk Grove cracking down. I may remove my window tint as well. I was talking to some Sacramento club members at the last mini-meet and they said they don't even like coming to Elk Grove for that reason.

We chatted a bit about the NSX he asked me about my mods that I had to the car, I just kept quiet while he looked around the car. I drive around without my engine cover and so he kept looking at my engine.

He hands me back my DL and registration and tells me that he's giving me a warning but he could give me a ticket for a loud exhaust and let's me go.

Wow - I've had that happen a few times. I also leave my engine uncovered. It opens up the door for friendly conversation = no ticket.

Harley Davidson Exhaust are louder than any car exhaust. I live next to a 4 line wide street and hear them in the middle of the night all the time.

How come the don't get ticketed for loud exhaust.

Some of these motorcycle exhausts can be annoying especially when they are next to me waiting for the red lights.

I believe they are legal to have loud exhausts so car drivers can hear them and avoid accident.

Some of these motorcycle exhausts can be annoying especially when they are next to me waiting for the red lights.

I believe they are legal to have loud exhausts so car drivers can hear them and avoid accident.

Not legal, just an unwritten sorta exemption to the rule. They still nail sportbikes left and right.

The officer probably couldn't find anything wrong with your car and just decided to let you go. How can they tell if your exhaust is louder then the limit anyways just by driving behind you?

If they are equiped with a DB meter they can check the noise level ... they can use this when your playing your stereo too loud also. Other toys in there aresenal may include a Tint meter or a breathalyzer ohh and were all too familiar with the radar gun

Cops like Harleys. Sort of a good ol' boys deal. A lot of departments still use them for the traffic unit, so everyone has a soft spot for the classic rumble.

The 'loud pipes save lives' thing is just an excuse to be annoying. Most of the sound goes behind the bike, and most of the people who keep saying that speed a lot. You only hear them once they've blown past you, so how safe is it really?

When I use to run test pipes with my hks exhaust you could smell that I was running without cats. Yet the gruppeM does not give off the smell at all, it also maybe that I have the Prospeed stage 3 and so my car is not running rich like the stock fuel map.

Cops here in socal are taught to catch folks running without cats by the smell, I have heard that once they have a good guess that you're running after market parts they would bring a mobile sniffer test, which if you were to fail they would tow your car. Cops have also been raiding local car meets and making people pop their hood so that they could check for illegal mods. California is getting desperate and busting car guys easy way to give tickets and generate revenue because they know you'll pay the ticket or risk the chance of them impounding your car.

So watch out guys and be safe out there.

Last edited:
When I use to run test pipes with my hks exhaust you could smell that I was running without cats. Yet the gruppeM does not give off the smell at all, it also maybe that I have the Prospeed stage 3 and so my car is not running rich like the stock fuel map.

Cops here in socal are taught to catch folks running without cats by the smell, I have heard that once they have a good guess that you're running after market parts they would bring a mobile sniffer test, which if you were to fail they would tow your car. Cops have also been raiding local car meets and making people pop their hood so that they could check for illegal mods. California is getting desperate and busting car guys easy way to give tickets and generate revenue because they know you'll pay the ticket or risk the chance of them impounding your car.

So watch out guys and be safe out there.

Yeap, saw that happen yesterday. Cops were writing out tickets for some of the particpants of an organized import car show. Made everyone want to go home. The ones who towed their cars there and could prove it probably got off, but the ones who drove there got fined. What a bummer....

Yeap, saw that happen yesterday. Cops were writing out tickets for some of the particpants of an organized import car show. Made everyone want to go home. The ones who towed their cars there and could prove it probably got off, but the ones who drove there got fined. What a bummer....

If you are referring to the Nisei car show then I wouldn't doubt it.

I remember going when it first came out and cops were in the street trying to flag down cars to give tickets.

Price you have to pay for living in wonderful Cali..... along with the no legal turbo system for NSX.

Pretty much....I also heard this is the last year of the Nisei Car Show.

Also the market is too small for a company to make a carb legal turbo kit for NSX.....well in their opinion.....but a carb legal SC does for some reason.

Yo maybe it was because your car looks like a blacked out racecar.. pics with the new setup??

Back