• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pulled over by State Trooper for not having front license plate

Hello all,
My Sunday pleasure drive was interrupted this morning by flashing lights on a Tx State Trooper's unit. I wasn't speeding so I kept cool. He walks up to my passenger side and tells me I got pulled over for not having a front license plate. So he asks for paperwork, walks to his vehicle and comes back with a warning.Then he goes on complimenting the X and says the last time he saw one was more than 3 years ago, "beautiful machines". He checks out the speedometer and tells me it tops out at more than 180 mph. "How fast have you driven this?" I told him I'll say only if he promises not to write me a ticket. He gives me a grin and tells me he can't write one for a past offense. "140" I said. Then like a child he lets out a wild WOOHOO!!! and holds his hand out to shake mine.
He tells me to be safe, and followed me until I got off the freeway. I proceeded to drive home thinking " Wow, my car just did that." The NSX, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Where in Texas and Congrats lol better than getting that plate ticket .

I'm good friends with all my local troopers, thank god.:biggrin: They all love cars.

Last edited:
I got pulled over in Texas going 3 over the limit. We talked for like 5 minutes and he gave me a warning. He must have had a slow day :biggrin:

I got pulled over at 8:30 on the 4th of July morning in LA by CHP. Officer looked to be about 19. Tells me the reason he is pulling me over is because I don't have a front license plate and proceeds to give me a "fix it" ticket. Now mind you I passed him at the legal speed limit three lanes over. He asks for the usual, license, insurance and registration. Comes back and asks me for the "contract". I ask "what contract?" and he asks me who owns the car. I tell him I do. Then we proceed to part duex of noobie officer on Fourth of July patrol.

He asks me if I've been drinking because you know it is 4th of July after all. I ask him "at 8:30 in the morning?". Now mind you i have my wife in the car too. He asks me when I last had a drink and I respond 7PM the night before, a glass of wine with dinner. He then asks me to step out of the car and proceeds to give me a field sobriety test on the side of the 405! I swear to God I thought I was going to explode. My wife is watching all of this and doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. Of course I pass the test so as I'm walking back to the car, with ticket in hand I ask this trooper why the drunk walk and he tells me "because your eyes are red". I looked at him with a hard glare and said one final word "allergies". He looks down at his shoe tops and shuffles a bit then tells me to drive safe.

So I've just installed the SOS Stealth License Plate frame that I bought from Blue Batmobile and will proceed down to the local CHP station to have my car inspected for said violation and pay a fine. And I was having such a good day....

2 such extreme examples on the spectrum.

The first story was simply priceless.......well......for that matter so was the second. The cop in the second story reminds me of "Sargent Duey" in that Scream movie!

Great story.

Hello all,
My Sunday pleasure drive was interrupted this morning by flashing lights on a Tx State Trooper's unit. I wasn't speeding so I kept cool. He walks up to my passenger side and tells me I got pulled over for not having a front license plate. So he asks for paperwork, walks to his vehicle and comes back with a warning.Then he goes on complimenting the X and says the last time he saw one was more than 3 years ago, "beautiful machines". He checks out the speedometer and tells me it tops out at more than 180 mph. "How fast have you driven this?" I told him I'll say only if he promises not to write me a ticket. He gives me a grin and tells me he can't write one for a past offense. "140" I said. Then like a child he lets out a wild WOOHOO!!! and holds his hand out to shake mine.
He tells me to be safe, and followed me until I got off the freeway. I proceeded to drive home thinking " Wow, my car just did that." The NSX, it is what it is.

I recently found out that there are no more "verbal" warnings from TX troopers. Theres no more "lets keep that speed down a tad" and let you drive away. Everythings on the video now and there has to be at least a written warning or else they get repremanded for it.

.......I told him I'll say only if he promises not to write me a ticket. He gives me a grin and tells me he can't write one for a past offense. "140" I said. Then like a child he lets out a wild WOOHOO!!! and holds his hand out to shake mine......

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a "observe-the-speed-limit" prime member lecturing you about obeying the speed limit.

:biggrin:

I recently found out that there are no more "verbal" warnings from TX troopers. Theres no more "lets keep that speed down a tad" and let you drive away. Everythings on the video now and there has to be at least a written warning or else they get repremanded for it.

Correct, the same in Virginia. It's actually to protect everyone from those potential claims of targeting certain groups based on age, ethnic origin, etc. Verbals are a "he said/she said" argument when it reaches Internal Affairs.

I was driving outside Houston city limit Hwy 288 northbound, I believe a few miles before Rosharon exit. Ironically I was on the same freeway 6 years ago when I grew a wild hair and went for my personal record. I had the X only for a few months then (bought and drove it home with my wife from Winter Gardens, Fl.) and just like a little boy I had to test my new toy. I could have gone faster but going to jail crossed my mind so I had to let go.

Unfortunately, it seems Tx is a 2 plate state so I need to have one installed...or else I'm getting a ticket the next time I get pulled over. Anyone have feedback on stealth plates?

To Russ - bite me. At 8:30 in the morning with my wife in the car? Dude, that is not funny in the least bit.

Cool story!

Not American then, could you guys clarify, if you drive from your home (a 1 plate state) to a 2 plate state, it doesn't matter if your home is the former, you'll still get a ticket? Or do you get away with it?

Cool story!

Not American then, could you guys clarify, if you drive from your home (a 1 plate state) to a 2 plate state, it doesn't matter if your home is the former, you'll still get a ticket? Or do you get away with it?
No, Example: Louisiana is a 1 plate state, Texas is 2 plate state. Louisiana cars can legally drive in TX. with 1 plate.

I always keep my plate bracket in the trunk in case the whole " front plate" issue comes up. The car looks so silly with front plates...

Nice cop, in Florida they are also nice, but they still give you tickets LOL

As my brother said to the State Trooper, "how can I have a front plate when the Province only issues one plate?"

If you live in a two plate State do the other States you might be visiting, without having your front plate on the car, have any power to give you a ticket for no front plate?

I live in a 2 plate Province and they are cracking down hard now. People get away with one plate by getting a dealer plate but that is more to avoid paying sales taxes. I don't understand how the police and insurance company and courts and tax dept allow the skirting of the law which is not applied equally.

I'm good friends with all my local troopers, thank god.:biggrin: They all love cars.

I'm not sure if they all love cars... but my next door neighbor is a state trooper and special ordered a 2011 Black Camaro when it came out. Last time I talked with him he had 1,000 miles on it. It is his garage queen.

I've been meaning to ask him, with a car like that, if he has ever taken it over the speed limit :biggrin: I can't imagine not.

I drove around here (NE) more than a year & was pulled over by a State Trooper who gave me a ticket to get a front plate & have it inspected by a law enforcement person.

That sucked, since I like the looks of the NSX without a front plate. Plus there are Vettes, Mustangs, Camaro's, Trans-AM's I've seen all over with no front plate.

Oh well, I purchsed the fold away plate from SOS. Works good.

I had a Sheriff sign off on the plate and he seemed surprised I was written up for the front plate.

I got pulled over few times on no front plate in VA. I have a TX registration and let me go. Lucky so far or Don't mess with TX.

I sold my NSX this spring to eddy_w in canada. We set up our initial meeting half way between our homes = toledo, ohio. in southern ohio the police never pull folks over for no front plate since we are next to kentucky and so many cars dont need that plate. but upper ohio is a different story and after 20 years of living in ohio without a plate, the state highway patrol pulled me over for that reason. i told the officer that i was taking the car to be sold and that it would be a non-issue in 1 week. but since i had had the car for years and never had addressed 'the law' the trooper was obliged to award me a $72 ticket. i told him i simply couldn't ruin the beautiful face of the car by adding the plate and wouldn't be doing so, even if i didn't sell the car. he stated, 'i dont blame you' and walked back to his cruiser ... all i could think of for the next 30 minutes was 'really?'!!!!!

Cop had nothing better to do, what an ass -

you know, having a large flat surface on the front of each car increases its coefficient of drag - multiplied by X number of million cars = few extra million barrels of oil per X amount of time?

Just an idea for all those GREEN people out there

Back