• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Quasi-Barn Find 1991 NSX Purchase from Father

is this thread the last post by Steve..:frown:

Doc, I believe so. I had alerted Steve to this thread. He called me the day before he died, having talked to Liston, and excited about the prospect of working on this NSX. He had invited several of us over for the Thanksgiving weekend to see this car as he took the initial steps to restore this NSX. I recall him also advising Liston that we had a great detailer here in Raleigh who could bring the paint back to showroom finish. He related a comment he made to Liston about my black NSX, saying that "when you look into the paint on John's car, you can see all the way to Japan".

It will be a very long time before I stop missing Steve. And every time I see, drive or touch my NSX, the thoughts of Steve will surface.

Liston- Above is Barney"s info that I was talking about.

Just wanted to thank John for giving me a chance to see Steve one more time. I had a great time talking to him in Greensboro. Brought back some great memories.

:thumbs:

Ben, it was good seeing you as well. Thinking about how this all played out, Steve spent his last weekend on earth doing everything he loved best. During the past few years he has been driving over the road after he closed down his real estate business. This forced him to be away from home and family a lot.

Over the NSXPO weekend, Steve spent a good bit of time, not only with the NSX owners, but with his wife Petra and youngest daughter Ashley, who both helped out with various parts of the event. This was Steve's only NSXPO attendance. Additionally he had use of one of his client's NSX all weekend. To top that off, he had the opportunity to assist several NSX owners attending NSXPO who were having various issues with their cars. I am thinking if Steve could have choreographed his last days, he might have come close to this…perhaps a bit more family time and a few rides on his motorcycle.

John Komar

Emissions-exemption obtained and titled. It is mine now. I am now begining transport scheduling. Here is a gratuitous odometer shot; it has fewer miles than I remembered. More pictures to come. Thanks for everyone's help.

IMG_3438.jpg

Why was it parked for 10 years with that low mileage??

If you don't want it, I will bring you a check or bag full of cash within 48 hours for $22k (figuring that I will have to fix / update many things, and have no idea if it runs worth a darn). Yes, I am 100% serious.

Looking forward to hearing more about the restoration of the car and the obligatory pictures.

Cheers on your purchase !

Car looks great. What's been going on with it for the past three months?

It took me a while to find and coordinate with a mechanic, get an emissions exemption, and coordinate transportation. Reliable Carriers carried it to Reliable Automotive in Franklin, TN in mid-March. Dan Hamilton and Mike O’Brian did a ton of work on it: timing belt, water pump, hoses, all the fluids, brake pads, rotors, fuel pump, clutch master and slave cylinders, both window regulators, and a R134 conversion.

It was great to have a shop that was just a couple miles from my home. Dan and Mike did a great job. The work was completed in about a week. Their communication was clear and prompt. They treated my NSX like it was family and provided lots of great advice.

The speakers/amps are pulled and will ship out to Wisconsin on Monday. Even though it came with the Pretty Woman soundtrack, Neil Diamond’s Greatest Hits, and Led Zeppelin III on cassette, I added a Grom iPod adaptor.

The paint is pretty oxidized and has several scratches, but it should come out looking good after a gentle wet sanding and polish. In a nod to 99NCNSX and Steve Gooding, I told my guy I wanted to be able to see Tokyo in the paint when he was done.

Everything is still stock except for StopTech slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Optima battery, and Bosch wiper blades (I could not return them without a receipt - I kept the originals). I had good experience with oemacuraparts.com (Acura of Peoria, AZ). They had great prices and free shipping.

I got a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ102. I do not have a lot of feedback on them yet. To be honest, I bought them because they were longer lasting than the ultra high performance tires, but still tough looking. Yes, I bought tires on aesthetics, how embarrassing. It was great to find all the cheap tires for these little rims. I spent more on my tires for my Quest.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to thank everyone who posts to this forum and the moderator. It has been a great resource.

I also had good luck in that my transmission is out of snap ring range.

Best of luck with the car.Nice to see it refreshed.

It took me a while to find and coordinate with a mechanic, get an emissions exemption, and coordinate transportation. Reliable Carriers carried it to Reliable Automotive in Franklin, TN in mid-March. Dan Hamilton and Mike O’Brian did a ton of work on it: timing belt, water pump, hoses, all the fluids, brake pads, rotors, fuel pump, clutch master and slave cylinders, both window regulators, and a R134 conversion.

It was great to have a shop that was just a couple miles from my home. Dan and Mike did a great job. The work was completed in about a week. Their communication was clear and prompt. They treated my NSX like it was family and provided lots of great advice.

The speakers/amps are pulled and will ship out to Wisconsin on Monday. Even though it came with the Pretty Woman soundtrack, Neil Diamond’s Greatest Hits, and Led Zeppelin III on cassette, I added a Grom iPod adaptor.

The paint is pretty oxidized and has several scratches, but it should come out looking good after a gentle wet sanding and polish. In a nod to 99NCNSX and Steve Gooding, I told my guy I wanted to be able to see Tokyo in the paint when he was done.

Everything is still stock except for StopTech slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Optima battery, and Bosch wiper blades (I could not return them without a receipt - I kept the originals). I had good experience with oemacuraparts.com (Acura of Peoria, AZ). They had great prices and free shipping.

I got a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ102. I do not have a lot of feedback on them yet. To be honest, I bought them because they were longer lasting than the ultra high performance tires, but still tough looking. Yes, I bought tires on aesthetics, how embarrassing. It was great to find all the cheap tires for these little rims. I spent more on my tires for my Quest.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to thank everyone who posts to this forum and the moderator. It has been a great resource.

I also had good luck in that my transmission is out of snap ring range.

Liston, you MUST bring your NSX to NSXPO 2014 in October. It will be quite a treat to see this car reborn and hear the whole story.

John

A few posts back I you mentioned the paint was faded. DO NOT WET SAND AN NSX! Start with a very very fine compound and work your way back to wax and polish. Never begin with the most aggressive "last resort" technique.

Nice car good luck.

Back