• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Race vs. Pump Gas

LOL excellent response you are correct I run 14:1 compression in the Toyota Atlantic engine in my race car and it needs 110+ octane! Our engines in our NSX's will not benefit and he is right put the car on a traceable Superflow dyno in Portland (you can find a chassis dyno at Arnie Loynings) Johnson Creek exit to quantify what EDRNSX1 just esposed and he is dead on the money and spoken like someone who has made a few dyno pulls! You really need to have a controlled test with only one variable to quantify this which is the main reason dyno to dyno comparisons are usually a moot point, as being able to control the environment to have only one variable is EXPENSIVE and only done by those with deep pockets. That being said you are only pushing that expensive fuel out your tailpipe and not getting much of a benefit from it, however it sure does smell good, I love the smell of overheated fiberglass,Red Line Oil and high octane gasoline, hey isn't that a ZZ top song? LOL

Last edited:
LOL excellent response you are correct I run 14:1 compression in the Toyota Atlantic engine in my race car and it needs 110+ octane! Our engines in our NSX's will not benefit and he is right put the car on a traceable Superflow dyno in Portland (you can find a chassis dyno at Arnie Loynings) Johnson Creek exit to quantify what EDRNSX1 just esposed and he is dead on the money and spoken like someone who has made a few dyno pulls! You really need to have a controlled test with only one variable to quantify this which is the main reason dyno to dyno comparisons are usually a moot point, as being able to control the environment to have only one variable is EXPENSIVE and only done by those with deep pockets. That being said you are only pushing that expensive fuel out your tailpipe and not getting much of a benefit from it, however it sure does smell good, I love the smell of overheated fiberglass,Red Line Oil and high octane gasoline, hey isn't that a ZZ top song? LOL

Thanks, yeah i do about 300 bikes a year on our DJ250i..hell the INC dyno room we have with temp and airflow control is over $45,000 alone! Mapping/Tuning is all i do alllll day long. I laugh at most "old school" car guy train of thought...like guys going "whatcha running for compression in that there 600?" i say "we run about 14.2:1 compression" they go "WOW..must use nascar 120octane" i say "nope, best hp fuel is R-tech (erc) Prov1 about 86motor octane" they usually argue/laugh...but then again im the one with 3 track records, national championships, and over 100 class championships...so i just nod and move on..

My NSX btw (stock car) LOVEESSSS VP MS103....just a bit higher octane (i cut it 50% with 87 pump) and man she runs so much crisper..maybe a few hp, but the throttle response is SO much nicer! Plus the smell is cool :)

My NSX btw (stock car) LOVEESSSS VP MS103....just a bit higher octane (i cut it 50% with 87 pump) and man she runs so much crisper..maybe a few hp, but the throttle response is SO much nicer! :)

I've noticed mine runs pretty good at ~96 as well. /any more and you are probably hitting the limit as to how much the computer advances the timing and then hurting performance with too high of octane.

I used to mix propylene oxide (an oxygenate), synthetic ATF, and a bunch of other stuff together for past race vehicles. Now when I want a little octane boost for other vehicles making real power, I just stick with xylene from the paint store.

Re: It's competitive psych...... could be worth it

What a waste of money... if you have any kind of driving ability its going to make up for a few BHP...
You must be an engineer; you're talking too much sense. :biggrin: It's really all about the psychological effect on the driver. like buying a new driving suit or a new putter every 3 months; it's all about how the user feels. :wink:

over 7% RWHP is not just a "feeling" of warm fuzziness. but you guys ARE correct, in a NSX you dont "need" it..but do you "need" 19" wheels? Carbon Type R spoiler? CTSC? no, but man they are nice and personalization is the fun part.

for US (roadrace bikes) we HAVE TO use it. Once the top 5 use it, your stuck using it too. It makes a MASSIVE difference in a 175rwhp bike that weighs only 370lbs wet!

a 2,800lb NSX? not really. but dont bash "all fuels" cause the fact is that some race gas DOES WORK. weather you need it or not, is a personal choice.

Back