• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

re-sale value hurt by repainting?

I have a repainted black '96. It is a perfect, better than factory, paint job - but it is repainted. I was wondering if that hurts the value of the car.

m3456y said:
I have a repainted black '96. It is a perfect, better than factory, paint job - but it is repainted. I was wondering if that hurts the value of the car.

All depends on what market your trying to sell to. For example off the top of my head:

1. Garage queen (low miles, original everything, never seen rain)
2. Decent NSX (doesn't mind paying a bit more for a well kept NSX)
3. Just wants NSX (everything goes, even salvage rebuild)
4. Project car (wants a shell, salvage, write-off, etc...)

If selling to market 1, yes they probably wouldn't like the fact that it is repainted. If selling to 2,3, going into 4, it won't matter. Going down the row of numbers, the higher you get, the more it doesn't matter.

In summary, unless you have a garage queen thats never seen any rain and barely any pavement I wouldn't worry about it. ...unless the new paint job is a Maaco type job. Then thats a whole different can of worms. :eek:

You would have to really convince me that any repaint is "better" than oem factory,where Honda is involved.It is generaly accepted that a repaint lowers total value but it may reflect a lower percentage on an older car vs a newer one.There are a few examples or 8-10000$ repaints performed for imperfections on newer cars payed for by Acura, as waranty,that might be acceptable as a substitute.

Why is this in DIY?

Lol, I never looked at where this was posted :tongue: Now I know the paint job is perfect :tongue:

I'm with you docjohn, I can't imagine after-market painter being better than the original. I'd be surprised if there are any reputable painters who would even claim that.

I guess I simply should have asked (in another forum) if repainting hurts resale value. I noticed some postings over the weekend of repainting pics.

Repainting definitely hurts resale. The 1st thing I would ask is why did the car need a repaint in the 1st place?

Also, the OEM NSX paint goes through a unique paint process:

"The final finishing involves 27 painstaking steps. The NSX undergoes electro-deposition of a special chromate anti-corrosion primer, followed by a slow bake to bond the material permanently to the aluminum. Anti-chipping primer is applied and baked, then four coats of finish material, each baked and hand sanded are applied, thus insuring a glass-like durable finish."

Unless the paint is applied under Honda's NSX refresh program in Japan, I doubt it is better than OEM.

Looking at the paint on my now 7-year old Berlina Black, I have a very hard time believing that most aftermarket paint jobs are "better" than the paint job done at Tochigi. My paint isn't perefect anymore but there's very, very, very little orange peel and the paint still has great depth and luster.

In my limited experience, you'd have to pay a fortune to have this kind of paint job done on a car. Perhaps as much (and maybe more) than $10K. And that might not "hurt" resale value to some owners but you'd be hard pressed to get that money back if you include it in the equation.

What if I have only the front end, the hood and head light covers repainted to take care of all the rock chips? Thinking about having it done for a while now. :wink:

RyRy210 said:
Repainting definitely hurts resale. The 1st thing I would ask is why did the car need a repaint in the 1st place?

Also, the OEM NSX paint goes through a unique paint process:

"The final finishing involves 27 painstaking steps. The NSX undergoes electro-deposition of a special chromate anti-corrosion primer, followed by a slow bake to bond the material permanently to the aluminum. Anti-chipping primer is applied and baked, then four coats of finish material, each baked and hand sanded are applied, thus insuring a glass-like durable finish."

Unless the paint is applied under Honda's NSX refresh program in Japan, I doubt it is better than OEM.

But a repaint only touches the top layers of paint, hopefully not having to redo all the primer layers, etc. So I think the only thing to question is whether a body shop can do a similar job on those baked and hand sanded top layers.

Da Hapa said:
Looking at the paint on my now 7-year old Berlina Black, I have a very hard time believing that most aftermarket paint jobs are "better" than the paint job done at Tochigi. My paint isn't perefect anymore but there's very, very, very little orange peel and the paint still has great depth and luster.

In my limited experience, you'd have to pay a fortune to have this kind of paint job done on a car. Perhaps as much (and maybe more) than $10K. And that might not "hurt" resale value to some owners but you'd be hard pressed to get that money back if you include it in the equation.

I'm not sure why everyone compares a repaint to the original paint. If I get my car repainted, it's because there's something wrong with the original. In my case, my car is hail damaged. Good repaint is better than torn up original paint. Now if someone is repainting a car that's in good condition, of course you're going to reduce the value. And you shouldn't expect to get the cost of the painting back when selling, any more than you'd expect to get the cost of most home imprevements back when selling your house. You should do it to enjoy yourself, or to fix something that's damaged, that in itself already reduces your value.

I posted the question because I just bought a '96 two months ago. One of the reasons I bought the car was because of the deep, perfect black paint. Being a purist myself, I was concerned about the value as the repaint was not evident at first - I finally found a small amount of overspray only visible under each door. I'm aware of the quality of factory paint jobs having owned several Porsches and Bimmers...I just wanted to get other owners input regarding painting for scratches, chips, dings, etc. and its effect on the NSX resale value."To paint or not to paint".

m3456y said:
I posted the question because I just bought a '96 two months ago. One of the reasons I bought the car was because of the deep, perfect black paint. Being a purist myself, I was concerned about the value as the repaint was not evident at first - I finally found a small amount of overspray only visible under each door. I'm aware of the quality of factory paint jobs having owned several Porsches and Bimmers...I just wanted to get other owners input regarding painting for scratches, chips, dings, etc. and its effect on the NSX resale value."To paint or not to paint".

Like I mentioned in the first reply, unless you have a garage queen that's barely seen rain or pavement it doesn't matter. Market value is market value based on supply and demand (whether original or not). Value is also perception to the eye of the beholder. Yes we drive nice cars. ...but they're only cars. :rolleyes:

Food for thought... would the over spray you found later on changed your mind about buying your NSX if you found it earlier? :wink:

i"m confused ,did you buy the car not knowing it was repainted?Was it misrepresented?If you did know about the repaint ,what was the reason for it?Either way the reason why it was repainted may mean more to the resale than the paint. :wink:

I think it depends on 2 things: How good is the repaint & why was it done? If it was an excellent job (both in quality of appearance & attention to detail) that helps. If it's full of runs, orange peel , or overspray that's bad. Was it done because the car was keyed or just cumulative damage or was it done due to crash damage? The problem is getting the next potential buyer to believe it was for superficial problems & not a crash. And how do you prove a negative? A repaint, to me, automatically makes me suspect a crash of some sort. If ,on top of that, it's a bad repaint then I suspect things were done half-assed and don't want the car. If they screw up the most visible part of the repair, imagine how badly the structural & mechanical parts of the repair were done? Kind of like a typo on a resume. For me, the only way I should be able to tell it's had paint work should be the receipt & the knowledge it was done. Try to find someone who does that level of work on a Taurus, let alone a rare aluminum exotic. It ain't easy. And if you do find someone, it won't be cheap.

93BlkOnBlkNSX said:
I'm with you docjohn, I can't imagine after-market painter being better than the original. I'd be surprised if there are any reputable painters who would even claim that.

I guess you don't have much experience in the car field or go to many car shows.
There are paint jobs and restorations out there that are just insane they are so perfect and beautiful. Many way better than what comes on the stock NSX, particularly the more recent years which are not, in my opinion, as good as earlier year NSX's.

I've seen pictures of the factory workers. They looked like people not GODS.

Respectively Joe I know that repaints can look great,but how durable?Every repaint I have had done on new body panels has always undergone quicker pitting and chipping than factory,and these were good shops doing the painting,of course I have no experience with your repainting :wink:

docjohn said:
Respectively Joe I know that repaints can look great,but how durable?Every repaint I have had done on new body panels has always undergone quicker pitting and chipping than factory,and these were good shops doing the painting,of course I have no experience with your repainting :wink:

It's not the shop, mine or anyone else's.
It's you. :biggrin:
You are driving more events, going faster and closer to the car in front of you than you did in the past.
My car has fewer chips than others because I am a poser :redface: . You are a warrior.Warrior's car's get scars. :biggrin:
Look at any other heavily tracked original black NSX front bumper. It likely is heavily abraded from the track and it will get worse as the driver gets better and faster no matter who painted the bumper. Doc, if you swapped with a factory painted un-chipped bumper, with the level you drive at it will chip just as fast, most likely faster than you remember it did in the past cause' baby, you be fly'in jack!

There are varying degrees of quality and cost in the refinishing market both for the manufacturer and the field.
Most shops, including mine use a good overall product to paint one or two panels at a time on a wide array of cars. With insurance work, the average shops mainstay, they aren't paid for the best materials, to the contrary, we are often paid below cost for the cheapest.
Out the door the best or, the "value" products look the same. They wear considerably different. The very best isn't often used because of the cost, pot life, and retraining or refresher training is not cost effective. Doesn't mean the best quality does not exist in the field. Shops that do more restoration and high quality, low production, high cost work use or often use the best materials. That is not the case with production collision repair shop and since this is what people see they don't believe it can be as good or better than the factory. They are wrong. One good car show will prove that.
The HSC, that was paraded at so many shows, I'd venture to guess was a one or two off, and painted in a booth just like we do in the field with the same type of materials just a better quality, which is available but not always used by the local shop.

Ok big guy,,I'm the warrior and you are the "Artist" :tongue:

I'm no artist. I just sling plastic and change parts and paint them. I WAS a artist, that's when I really was pbassjo. :cool: Now I'm just a dirtbag body man. :smile:

"I have a repainted black '96. It is a perfect, better than factory, paint job - but it is repainted. I was wondering if that hurts the value of the car."

If its being sold as a used car, it may help the resale value.
If the day comes when these cars become collectable,
yes it will kill the value. I have owned several low mi. mid 60's cars
with orig paint. Not perfect paint by any stretch, chips, nicks, lacquer checked etc. But if I were to repaint with a nice $10-$15k paint job the car would not be worth any more than if left orig, in one case a 15k paint job would have made the car worth less. Orig paint proves one thing, no wrecks. After a car has been painted, its anyone's guess as to the cars past.

But, we have a ways to go till NSX's are considered a true collectable.
If your car had a poor paint job, a nice paint job probably added value to the car.
Before, during and after paint photos would also be a huge plus.

m3456y said:

As you have described, no.

MCM said:
If the day comes when these cars become collectible,
yes it will kill the value. [/0QUOTE]

Survivor cars don't necessarily bring more than properly restored cars, in fact they have a much smaller market than a well restored car.
On a collectible ANY mod or change from original could negatively impact a car's value. Examples are: Tubi exhaust, DC Headers, RM cf intake,
Koni's, Eibach springs, Dali swaybars & harness bar,
Zanardi wheels & Slotted rotors. :wink: Unless you have all the original hardware and parts correctly re-installed.

If you don't drive, mod or buy a car it keeps the value even better. :biggrin:
(I know I'm being a smart ---)

docjohn said:
You would have to really convince me that any repaint is "better" than oem factory,where Honda is involved.It is generaly accepted that a repaint lowers total value but it may reflect a lower percentage on an older car vs a newer one.There are a few examples or 8-10000$ repaints performed for imperfections on newer cars payed for by Acura, as waranty,that might be acceptable as a substitute.
I don't see how Acura paying for it makes it any better.

IMO factory paint jobs are getting worse. I have a 98 Tacoma I bought new that I swear if a bug hit it the paint would chip.

A lot goes into a paint job and only the top layers are removed. Usually you never go below the original primer layer. Paint quality also depends on the type of paint used. And you dont always get what you pay for. Expensive paint isn't always better. (i'm talking about materials here).

If I was to buy a re-paint my questions would be
Why a repaint? --- rarely does a car need an entire repaint
What kind of paint and primer was used?
Who did the work and is it waranteed?

If they passed my questions I see no reason to devalue the car other then barganing tactics. I wouldn't budge if it was my car.

Back