• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Really torn... NSX or Supra? (i've owned BOTH)

Re: REALLY TORN... NSX or SUPRA? (i've owned BOTH)

I think the Supra is a nice car, I haven't driven one, but I have been in one. It's fast, but...it ain't an NSX!!!!

The supra is still to Celica-like, other than the wing, it's not a car where people say "holy cow, look at that". It's more of a "nice Supra". Though it is relatively rare to see.

The NSX just exudes serious "wow" factor. Besides that, its an absolute joy to drive, but you already know that.

One of the post says above says it best. If you buy the Supra and then see an NSX parked next to it in a parking lot, are you going to think "gee, too bad that guy didn't buy a Supra"?

I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

First let me apologize for the semi-flaming response. :tongue:

IMHO your question is ridiculous. There is really no comparison between the two. You might as well be asking if you should buy a Vet or NSX. What is even more perplexing is that you have owned both cars and still can’t make up your mind. The NSX is an exotic. The Supra is as common as pimples on your butt. Do you need help deciding what kind of toilet paper to buy? Since you seem to exchange cars like an oil change, get your third NSX. If you don’t like it after 90 days just trade it away for another Supra. :biggrin:

12AMNSX said:
First let me apologize for the semi-flaming response. :tongue:

IMHO your question is ridiculous. There is really no comparison between the two. You might as well be asking if you should buy a Vet or NSX. What is even more perplexing is that you have owned both cars and still can’t make up your mind. The NSX is an exotic. The Supra is as common as pimples on your butt. Do you need help deciding what kind of toilet paper to buy? Since you seem to exchange cars like an oil change, get your third NSX. If you don’t like it after 90 days just trade it away for another Supra. :biggrin:

its ok - i am after peoples opinions...

NOT of me, of the cars in question :eek:

i have stated that i think the NSX's are total opposites (all the reasons
stated in this thread)

and for the 50th time, i'm not asking people to make up my mind for me,
just give me some thoughts about each that i might not consider.

93.5 said:
But then again, so was going 80 in 3rd gear in my 91 NSX :)

Second gear hits 81 mph, unless you had the japanese short gears which hit 65 in second, and 90 in third.

93.5 said:
Hey, i've had 2 NSX's and
7 Supra's.

i am wanting to get ONE of the 2 and really
hold onto it for a long time
I LOVE the NSX Styling (exotic looking)
The HIGH redline - the smooth power - the rarity etc.

The Supra - i love the feel of the boost, i love the
turbo sound, they look and handle great too etc.

Both are rare, great handling and driving and look GREAT!

NSX has the edge in exoticness, supra has the edge in
HP (easily modable) and NO mechanical issues with anything.

I think I may have a solution for you... Now I know you said you don't want people deciding things for you BUT your not getting anywhere...

So I have decided that you shall get an NSX because you " LOVE the NSX Styling (exotic looking) The HIGH redline - the smooth power - the rarity etc."

Then you are going to call Factor X over there to put twin turbos on the NSX for you... Because "i love the feel of the boost, i love the
turbo sound,"

Now I have calculated that the cost of such a car is equivalent to having one of each but you only want ONE car.... So job done :biggrin:

My invoice is in the mail...
-

On a more serious note 93.5, I think that it is hard for me, and possibly others, to respond to your enquiry regarding a comparison of two significantly divergent cars. One is a mass produced sports car and the other is a hand built exotic. They both have features and values that are attractive to completely different markets. Very few in the market for an NSX would consider a Supra as an equal alternative. You may be better served to browse this site to compile a list of attributes for the NSX and then do the same at a Supra site and then make your decision. My guess is that very few NSX owners have recently owned both an NSX and a Supra like you have. Additionally, it's unlikely that you will find a truly objective opinion when you post your question in an NSX forum.

OK, last one and I'll shut up........

When you state "NOT of me, of the cars in question",

I think I was confused because the tone of your posts smack of bragging about how many cars you've owned as opposed to truly asking our opinion.

Over and out. :smile:

93.5 said:
yeah i have a long list of

LIKES and dislikes for both cars.

dislike on an NSX??? shame on u! :eek:

93.5 said:
which one?

Both are rare, great handling and driving and look GREAT!

NSX has the edge in exoticness, supra has the edge in
HP (easily modable) and NO mechanical issues with anything.

HELP :)

u wanted our opinion???
well your in prime so obviously our vote will be..

NSX

93.5, I feel your pain. I love both of these cars. I do not plan on making that choice though... I want both. So I am starting with the NSX, and adding a turbo. Then in time (hopefully sooner than later:)), I will buy a TT and go single... Sound like a good plan to you?:). I think thats the most enjoyable solution:)...

I currently own both.

My history:
94 Supra TT hardtop 6spd (rare) BPU++

91 NSX Mods: I/H/E short gears, R&P, ltw fly, clutch SOLD!!

92 NSX Mods: I/H/E short gears, R&P, ltw fly, clutch, Brembos f/r, CTech SC, fuel mods, AEM ECU, HKS coilovers, sways, widebody, etc.--

You know the pros and cons. My biggest problem w/ the NSX (even w/ the lightly modded one I sold) is that I couldn't drive it anywhere w/o worrying about it. However, it made it fun to drive to see all the heads turn over a 10+y.o car. I love the Supra...best bang for the hp buck ever. Also, the Supra you can enjoy and drive more often w/o worrying about it.
Lastly, IMO if you will be driving it only once a month or so do the NSX.

Good luck.

Jeff

demigod said:
Second gear hits 81 mph, unless you had the japanese short gears which hit 65 in second, and 90 in third.

yeah maybe it was 95 MPH in 3rd that i did on an
on ramp ;)

whatever it was i said "holy crap, look how fast i'm going,
and i'm still in 3rd"

12AMNSX said:
OK, last one and I'll shut up........

When you state "NOT of me, of the cars in question",

I think I was confused because the tone of your posts smack of bragging about how many cars you've owned as opposed to truly asking our opinion.

Over and out. :smile:

no no no - i won't brag about any car's i've had...
that's not me.

Theres plenty of people on this board who have nicer cars
(actually probably about 75% of them do) :)

don't misunderstand it when i say i've had 2 NSXs and 7 Supras...

I ONLY SAID THAT so everyone would know, i HAVE owned both of them, so i am not some 15 year old who is "dreaming" about owning one or the other some day :)

i wanted to let everyone know i AM serious and will decide soon - the decision is just driving me batty :)

This is NOT a comparison thread - they are totally different.

This is a "which one would fit my plans best" thread :)

i think i'm going to start the search for a
WELL MAINTAINED - low mileage NSX.

limiting it to 91-94 only.

It just seems hard to find one that has low miles
that the owner has done all the costly and preventative maintenance...

with the other 2 i've had, there's always been things that
still needed done.

i'd like one with everything covered this time ;)
(TB, WP, speakers, AC, windows, etc)

well- starting the search ;)

I was in a similar toss-up 2 years ago. I always loved the NSX but was worried about owning an older exotic. (now I know this is not an issue). I loved the Supra Turbo but when I was looking everyone wanted insane money for their cars. Id go to the auctions and they were doing more $$$ there then from private sellers. I was also toying with the idea of buying a skyline but the look was just to plain and mindane for me. The NSX is certainly not the fastest but is the most rewarding ride and if you dont like being the center of attention when you go out on a saturday night- dont buy one. :biggrin:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
I was in a similar toss-up 2 years ago. I always loved the NSX but was worried about owning an older exotic. (now I know this is not an issue). I loved the Supra Turbo but when I was looking everyone wanted insane money for their cars. Id go to the auctions and they were doing more $$$ there then from private sellers. I was also toying with the idea of buying a skyline but the look was just to plain and mindane for me. The NSX is certainly not the fastest but is the most rewarding ride and if you dont like being the center of attention when you go out on a saturday night- dont buy one. :biggrin:

Hey Bridgewater I know you often pay visit to the Manheim Auto Auction and I can tell you that you don't want a Supra from that auction, either stuff gets stolen from them by employees or they are thrashed and abused in the huge parking lots.

Anyway... Good luck with your search on your new NSX and hold onto it this time around :biggrin:

I think that the statement that makes the decision is that it will driven infrequently. That means that it won't be driven for anything but the pleasure the car brings. NSX all the way, in that case. IMHO, the Supra isn't special enough to be limited to a one weekend a month car.

J

Stunner said:
Hey Bridgewater I know you often pay visit to the Manheim Auto Auction and I can tell you that you don't want a Supra from that auction, either stuff gets stolen from them by employees or they are thrashed and abused in the huge parking lots.

Anyway... Good luck with your search on your new NSX and hold onto it this time around :biggrin:

I make my living with MAA. I bought or sold over 500 cars at Manheim last year and while its not what it was; its still the best auction in the country. Ive been to them all and trust me, its still the best

Go for the NSX!

In my opinion, it sounds like the NSX should be the best choice for you versus the Supra. The NSX is definitely the sports car of the two. The Supra to me is more of a powerful sport touring car rather than a focused sports car.

I am assuming you are not expecting to modify and get big horsepower numbers from your NSX. If you have those expectations, go with the Supra. The NSX cannot hold a candle to the Supra in it's ability to make horsepower easily and inexpensively, As you know, the bottom end in the Supra is extremely stout. The engine in the Supra is an awesome platform for high boost applications. I know quite a few Supras putting down well over 1000 rwhp.

From an aesthetical perspective, the NSX is a much better looking car in my opinion. Personally, I feel the Supra is a little generic looking. It looks like every other Japanese sports coupe produced in the early 90s. The NSX on the otherhand is much more unique looking.

Also, the Supra's handling characteristics are lifeless and numb. Granted, a properly setup Supra can produce very fast track times, but the experience is boring.

Just curious, have you considered a used ZO6 Corvette? The interior is pretty lame, but they are a lot of fun to drive and will easily run circles around the Supra and NSX. The prices for used 02-03 ZO6s are now dirt cheap (approx $35k) and are a bargain considering the performance. I think the ZO6 is a worthy candidate if you value performance.

Last edited:
yeah a buddy of mine just sold his Z06 (2001 i think - the 385HP one)

i'd much rather have an NSX that is more exotic -
and rare etc.

i probably WILL get the NSX.

i DONT care about high HP numbers (been there done that with the
boost on the supras)

i want a nice rare car thats fun to drive

i think i AM going with the NSX...

NSX-GUY said:

I just want to apologize for my previous negative posts. I was having a crappy time with work related issues and I took it out in this forum. Ignore whatever I said. Sorry. :frown:

Back