• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reflections on my 91 NSX, driving a Ferrari F430 and what the future holds....

Hey Guys, (BTW - Happy New Year to all my buds and everyone on Prime!)

Haven't posted in a good while but I have been reflecting on my old 91 NSX and how it compares to the F430 I drove at the new Motorsport Park in Dawsonville recently! Before I get into that story, I want to first say that buying and owning an NSX is one of the best car experiences I've ever had and i've had a few. The car is rock solid, handles incredibly and has good power and I know there are those here that believe the NSX is "anemic" - I'm not one of those. It makes good power and for the time it was introduced it made very good power! But the magic is not merely in the engine bay although that sound coming from the engine when it's in the Vtec range is amazing, but it's that great suspension and the way the car handles. It handles better than my 993 and that car was the second best sports car experience I've ever had. But there is another even more important part about the NSX and that is the something that takes it beyond any sports car and into super stardom above all the "exotics" - what would this be???? It's the fact that it has the most bullet proof engine and drive train of any sports car built since it came out and most likely of all time.

Yep that one thing sets it far and away from all others, it's a scalpal, a fine precision auto, a great track instrument I suspect and just an all round great car and it has the most comfortable seats ever! Now why have I written to you guys with renewed gusto for this marque? It's because of my track time in the F430 and also on the same day track time in the new 991 911 Carrera S. Yep both cars on the same day. Drove the Ferrari first after a bit of schooling by the instructor and a couple of laps with him at the wheel to show me the ropes of the track, where to brake, how to find the line on this new track. The track is not a real fast one because it doesn't have long straights and is up and down and very twisty...lot's of elevation changes - but a good track all in all I'm sure. Not as good as the track in Birmingham or Road Atlanta though. So when I got behind the wheel of the F430 first thing I noticed was the way you sat down in the car, hmmmm, seems a bit familiar - then the view out the front windsheild - hmmm a little more familiar with those fenders rising on both sides but the view was not as good as the NSX - that was my first comparison. Then driving it off - it was not manual - but I shifted the "F1 like" tranny in manual mode and it was very responsive - it felt heavy and yet quite powerful with over 500 hp! The steering felt a whole lot like the NSX - mmm must be what they did when they built the NSX - take a Ferrari apart and figured out how to make a car handle. The F430 had that raw feel - hardly felt like it had power steering - kind of like the 91 NSX i had but the NSX was more nimble - not as powerful of course - but more nimble and easier to handle than the F430 - at least in my humble opinion. The F car was fast but it didn't handle as well in the corners as the 991 - the 991 handles better and takes the corners better but the F430 is faster in the straights but it should be with over 100 hp more power. But it still had to be man handled around the track unlike the 911 which has too much power steering input.

I enjoyed my track time in both cars - I really did - I have to say I liked the F430 better than the 991 - and if given one I would take the F car at least for 6 mos and then I'd sell it before I had to do any maintenance. Would I then buy the 991? Well even if I had the money I think I'd pass. The 991 didn't have that solid build feel - sure it did everything right and it gets good gas mileage too! It has great performance and is very high tech but it lacks something - after you've had older 911s you'd know what I mean by this - it feels a bit cheaply made and I don't know how else to put it - the steering felt numb compared the F car - and it felt numb compared to my NSX too.

So what would I buy - given the opportunity - I'd buy the last gen NSX - I mean the gen 3 - yes I call it gen 3 and I know that is not quite correct cause they didn't do anything but cosmetic tweaks but still that's the easiest way to refer to the 2002 - 2005 edition. Anyway, that's what I'd buy and in the end that's what I'll look for - when the time comes. It is uncanny how much the NSX feels like the Ferrari - not as heavy, certainly not as powerful, but it feels better in a way cause it's lighter and more nimble and on that track in the right hands could outdo the F430 in less experienced hands. The other thing is this - it is so far beyond the F car in the fact that it requires so much less maintenance. Now the NSX isn't cheap but by F car standards it is like a Volkswagon - the old beatle - by comparison. And guys that is what makes it the greatest sports car in a comparo if everything is considered. The 3.2/6 speed will ring everything it has to offer and it does it with natural aspiration like the Ferrari.

When I owned 911s everytime it made a funny noise I wondered how much that was going to cost me. What was that - oh - and when you replace the brake pads you replace the rotors or they squeel like crazy. You can't believe that my old 91 with just less than 50k on the odometer had the original pads and rotors! AND when you replace them you don't have to replace the rotors either. Even though I intend to buy a 2009 911 Targa with the new 9A1 engine to tour the country in because of the roof, all glass, and the fact that it has storage capabilities that the NSX just doesn't have and you can take 2 sets of clubs and luggage and tour. But when I get thru with that after a couple of years I'll be back in the latest model NSX I can afford with the lowest miles and drift off into the sunset and old age driving that car because it is the best performer for the money unless the new NSX in about 10 years is affordable and it may be - who knows.

So all of you guys here on Prime that have the NSX in your garrage don't feel like you have a less than exotic super car because there are a lot of ways to define that. NSX may they roll on forever! Hope you all enjoy them and you sure don't see yourself coming the other way very often if ever. Great cars! Amazing that they were ever built! Be happy, happy trails and Happy New Year!

I'm on the hunt for my first NSX, and I'm just hoping the performance and reliability meet that of my '93 968, which has been my daily driver for the past 9 years, and has close to 200k miles on it now. The only thing I've ever done to the car is change fluids, filters and belts. That's it. Not even a wheel alignment. It has never needed anything. It doesn't make a lot of power by today's standards, but if Porsche still made them, I'd buy a new one. However, if any car could out do it, I'm thinking the NSX may be it; so I'm looking forward to it!

Wow, you have had a great run with that 968. The last water cooled 4 cylinder that came out of the lineage starting with the 924! And of course the best of all of them! But that is a real testimony - surely though you must have replaced the timing belt? Well if not you will have that to look forward to with the NSX at some point. They don't last forever, well not in the NSX anyway.

You will surely find, even though the 968 handled well, the NSX handles better, imho. I actually thought of buying a 968 but they are old now and I'm out of old cars. When I sell the one I have - I'm done with project cars. I wish you good luck finding the right NSX. I believe you'll like it.

Tim,

I will have my other 2004 done soon if you want it. real cheap LOL

it a rare only 23 made silverstone/silverstone since your last NSX was silver it will bring back memories.

Yes, I mentioned belts in my post, but I failed to mention brake pads and rotors. The clutch/flywheel, starter, power steering, water pump, A/C and heating systems, injectors, headlamp motors, etc., haven't been touched. Even the shocks and CV joints are original. It's downright scary. I worry that it may all go bad at the same time.

Wow, you have had a great run with that 968. The last water cooled 4 cylinder that came out of the lineage starting with the 924! And of course the best of all of them! But that is a real testimony - surely though you must have replaced the timing belt? Well if not you will have that to look forward to with the NSX at some point. They don't last forever, well not in the NSX anyway.

You will surely find, even though the 968 handled well, the NSX handles better, imho. I actually thought of buying a 968 but they are old now and I'm out of old cars. When I sell the one I have - I'm done with project cars. I wish you good luck finding the right NSX. I believe you'll like it.

Would I then buy the 991? Well even if I had the money I think I'd pass. The 991 didn't have that solid build feel - sure it did everything right and it gets good gas mileage too! It has great performance and is very high tech but it lacks something - after you've had older 911s you'd know what I mean by this - it feels a bit cheaply made and I don't know how else to put it - the steering felt numb compared the F car - and it felt numb compared to my NSX too.

I completely agree with your statement regarding the 991. About 5 months ago I was seriously considering a new 991 C2 or C2S. I had even put my
’05 Yellow up for sale to “off-set” the purchase. (Qualifier: I DO NOT see the 911 as a better option to the NSX, Hence, I will never sell my ’02 LBB;
I also completely agree with your statement(s) regarding the NSX), however, I Never drive my ’05 because well…… it’s…… just too perfect and I want to keep it perfect.
Couple that with the fact I also had delusions of grandeur in thinking I would / will like or enjoy anything other than the NSX……….In a simple word – NOPE!

The 991 is cool and fun but – first and foremost, it’s NO NSX and (IMHO), overpriced and way too melancholy. The 90’s 911’s are my favorite 911 by far.
The problem I see with 90’s 911’s is the unknown Maintenance issue(s).

Glad to see you still posting Tim. You should take Shawn up on his offer- I am sure that 2004 will be mint. Plus it gets you back in a NSX that much earlier! I also think you should use the 2004 for your national tour. The trunk has plenty of room for clubs and luggage- Honda changed it at the last minute to make it more roomy.

Larger trunk? Wait a minute.....

Glad to see you still posting Tim. You should take Shawn up on his offer- I am sure that 2004 will be mint. Plus it gets you back in a NSX that much earlier! I also think you should use the 2004 for your national tour. The trunk has plenty of room for clubs and luggage- Honda changed it at the last minute to make it more roomy.

Now you have my attention - whatchumean bigger? Are you saying that in the last model run - 2002-2005 the trunk got bigger? I don't believe it - I need confirmation on that right now, as in immediately.....that could be a big game changer! Shawn - where are you when I need you? I sent you a PM - whasup! I'm checking into Shawn's car offer Honcho-that is if I can get him to answer me.....:wink:

Thanks Honcho - hope you liked my epistle....:biggrin: I don't think I've lost my touch...

Thanks for the entertaining read, and Happy New Year! :)

I sometimes wonder about other exotic sports cars, but I haven't tried anything that gives me nearly the same level of thrills for the money as an NSX. I let a Mercedes SLK owner drive my NSX yesterday, and he was giddy as a school boy during the experience. We NSX owners are a very lucky bunch.

Now you have my attention - whatchumean bigger? Are you saying that in the last model run - 2002-2005 the trunk got bigger? I don't believe it - I need confirmation on that right now, as in immediately.....that could be a big game changer! Shawn - where are you when I need you? I sent you a PM - whasup! I'm checking into Shawn's car offer Honcho-that is if I can get him to answer me.....:wink:

Thanks Honcho - hope you liked my epistle....:biggrin: I don't think I've lost my touch...

Great as always Tim. Didn't meant o get you too excited by the trunk comment. I meant the original (pre-release) NS-X prototype had a shorter trunk. The Acura execs stepped in very late in the process to demand a bigger trunk because their American target customers would expect a luxury car that can haul two sets of golf clubs- that fact ended up being touted in the original marketing materials. For this reason the rear trunk area was extended 6 inches. That's one of the reasons we have the weird bumper soot aero issue. I have no doubt you can fit two sets of sticks in there plus your luggage- if you pack light... ;) Now if you have one of those Rodney Dangerfield caddyshack crazy golf bags, maybe it would be a problem!

Great as always Tim. Didn't meant o get you too excited by the trunk comment. I meant the original (pre-release) NS-X prototype had a shorter trunk. The Acura execs stepped in very late in the process to demand a bigger trunk because their American target customers would expect a luxury car that can haul two sets of golf clubs- that fact ended up being touted in the original marketing materials. For this reason the rear trunk area was extended 6 inches. That's one of the reasons we have the weird bumper soot aero issue. I have no doubt you can fit two sets of sticks in there plus your luggage- if you pack light... ;) Now if you have one of those Rodney Dangerfield caddyshack crazy golf bags, maybe it would be a problem![/Q
Hey Honcho, yeah you got me going on that one. I thought that the last iteration had an increased trunk size for a minute - ok - so you can get 2 sets of clubs in there but then you can't get any luggage in - I guess if you had colapsable golf bags and took all the clubs out and laid your clothes in arond it all you might could do this but it would be tough. I know I've tried - I've loaded the old 91 up like a pack mule when I drove it home from Texas when I bought it. BUt I had no passenger - now solo you could easily do some travlin but I need to take the wifey along with her clubs cause she plays.

You know one of the real short comings of the design was that the engineers never made any cool accessories for it - nothing like Porsche - the coupe 911 has little things in the roof rail to recieve a rack and then they have the "Spock" pod you can load up for traveling. No such goodies for the NSX - that's where the japanese just didn't think ahead enough. So there's another thread about "if you had one thing you could change about the car what would it be" - it would be cool accessories like roof racks and luggage pods. Yeah if they ever came up with stuff like that - man they would have sold more cars - that and advertising more and better!

That's not such a small complaint really but the NSX is such a great car and I do want another one - mainly cause it is so maintenance free - or at least relatively low cost. You get a late model with low miles and you have the best car in the world for sporty driving - the targa top is cool too. It may not be as solid but it is sho nuff some great fun. After all my days of doing track time are most likely low. Most of my driving is sporty fun road driving as it's always been. I just love hearing that engine rev - it is one of the best sounds of all time. It holds it's own against the Ferrari F430 let me tell you!

When I owned 911s everytime it made a funny noise I wondered how much that was going to cost me.

Welcome back Tim.... I've been wanting to get the 997 S or 4S (06 or 07 model) for awhile now, but after reading that some people have experienced the IMS issue, I am now too afraid to get one. I was initially thought that the IMS issue was fixed after the 2006 models.....

The worst part about the f430 is its purchase prize because maintenance is dirt cheap unless something major goes wrong. If you can afford to maintain a late 911 then the Ferrari is just more, but not a like a 360 or older '80s and '90s models.

Welcome back Tim.... I've been wanting to get the 997 S or 4S (06 or 07 model) for awhile now, but after reading that some people have experienced the IMS issue, I am now too afraid to get one. I was initially thought that the IMS issue was fixed after the 2006 models.....

Thanks a bunch - nice to hear from you. I wouldn't give up on the 997 - you just need to get into the 997.2 - those are the ones from 09 to 2011. They have the new 9A1 motor which has no IM bearing and no RMS issues either. Some would even say that they pretty much had things solved after 2007 but there is still a chance for the IMS - some have put many a mile on them without suffering any failures. There is the LN Engineering bearing replacement fix which is recommended at intervals of 50k. I'm going to go to an 09 or maybe 2010 if I can. I'd rather have the 2010 but it's got to do some devaluating before I can afford it and they are now coming down into a price range that is approaching what I think I can afford - barely. But it's not like I'll keep it till I die - I just keep em for a while and let em go on to the next guy. So there may be one in your future yet.

I actually like the 997 better than the new one for several reasons but mainly cause the 997 is the last of the glass roof targas - after that the new 991 will have a modified convertible pop off roof - can you say WHY???? Or why not just buy the convertible? Who knows but I can say one thing - it's sure as hell cheaper to make than the old one - one of the things to look forward to now that they've merged with VW - Ohhhh BOY - right. Geez - I knew this was coming when I saw how they made the new sunroof - geez. Not to mention the electric parking brake? No more direct emergency brake - man what a stupid idea that is - but again it's CHEAP! They feel cheap compared to my old 993 - I mean big difference. The 3.2 was really the last super well built Porsche 911 and it's just too damn old and low tech for me. The 3.2 is just not fast enough. Not light like the old long hoods either - just that the long hoods have issues and they are way old now.

The NSX is a great car - we all look over the fence don't we - it always looks maybe greener on the other side but it's not really. The NSX is still the best bang for the buck! It is a classic like the Ford GT or the Carrera GT - sure not as fast and "exotic" but still classic in the sense that it's amazing that anyone would build the car. I'm convinced one of the reasons they stopped building the NSX was that it was too expensive and they really weren't making a lot off of it. Didn't have the desire to make many of them for that reason - so it's going to be really interesting to see what they come up with finally on this new one Acura/Honda SAYS they're going to build - right. How come they are testing it? MMmmm - anyone seen anything on the development? I haven't been paying that much attention. I'll definitely get one of the last models when I do it again!

Adios for now and thanks again for chiming in....

- - - Updated - - -

The worst part about the f430 is its purchase prize because maintenance is dirt cheap unless something major goes wrong. If you can afford to maintain a late 911 then the Ferrari is just more, but not a like a 360 or older '80s and '90s models.

Man you gotta be one happy dude with all those cars - wow - you must be a star of some kind - maybe Ian Poulter. No, really, you do have quite a stable and anyone that can keep a 928 has got to know something about maintenance! Not to mention the rest or your "herd"... I'm surprised you still have a 3.2 - boy would I love a tour thru your garrage! You've got a lot of the ones I'd like to have - but I'm but a poor mortal. What Carrera targa do you have? And you have a GT3 - geez man how do you drive all of them - that must be all you do! Great work if you can get it! I'm drooling over here!

Well purchase price is another issue for sure on the F430 - but then if I had to choose from your stable - I don't know what I'd do. I do have a question - which one is your favorite? Oh and do you need any help around the place keeping the cars "exercised"? *I'm your man*

Thanks for writing!

I heard the 360 is quite reliable and maintenance is not that bad. I suppose the 430 is even better?

- - - Updated - - -

Some would even say that they pretty much had things solved after 2007 but there is still a chance for the IMS - some have put many a mile on them without suffering any failures. There is the LN Engineering bearing replacement fix which is recommended at intervals of 50k. I'm going to go to an 09 or maybe 2010 if I can.

I think you can only do the LN Eng bearing for the 05 model and not available for the 06+ model due to changes on the IMS. I did hear that the 07 models are OK, especially the S engine which has a different design than the regular model... I am not sure, but that's what I heard.

The 09 model has a different engine, but it is still not fully depreciated where the 06 - 07 models are more reasonable.

I heard the 360 is quite reliable and maintenance is not that bad. I suppose the 430 is even better?

- - - Updated - - -

I think you can only do the LN Eng bearing for the 05 model and not available for the 06+ model due to changes on the IMS. I did hear that the 07 models are OK, especially the S engine which has a different design than the regular model... I am not sure, but that's what I heard.

The 09 model has a different engine, but it is still not fully depreciated where the 06 - 07 models are more reasonable.

That's not the way I understand it. I believe the LN bearing will suit all the 997s. It's pretty easy to check though. The S is a different engine but I don't think the basic design of the case where the bearing seats is but I could be wrong. I'd have to talk with LN Eng. before I assumed anything. In another year or so - the 2009 911s will be at about the right price. For me I'm going to have to wait till 2014 or more if I can take it cause I want the targa and they are rare and hard to find. Well at least the one I'm looking for. It'll take a while - I'm not even looking till I can act! I just check in on pricing intermittantly. If you want a coupe S - not 4S or 4 - that may take a bit too. Hard to wait isn't it. Good news for you is that you have an NSX to keep you happy while you wait - I don't. :frown:

Hi Tim,
Just registered today. I am planning and very excited to have the new NSX when it comes out soon. I read your "reflections" story. Fortunately, I had the chance to drive F430 GT for 5 laps at Dream Racing Las Vegas. I have the youtube video links below: mine and the instructor's.

Mine: http://youtu.be/MdzR2Dgm964

Instructor's Run: http://youtu.be/RGJ3eJ5piu4

I hope I can contribute something to this forum.

I already have the other Jap Supercar and hope to have this NSX in my garage!!!

Hi Tim,
Just registered today. I am planning and very excited to have the new NSX when it comes out soon. I read your "reflections" story. Fortunately, I had the chance to drive F430 GT for 5 laps at Dream Racing Las Vegas. I have the youtube video links below: mine and the instructor's.

Mine: http://youtu.be/MdzR2Dgm964

Instructor's Run: http://youtu.be/RGJ3eJ5piu4

I hope I can contribute something to this forum.

I already have the other Jap Supercar and hope to have this NSX in my garage!!!

Hello HaloHalo - sounds like the English way of saying hello - funny. Like it. You had the same experience I had - mine was on the new Motorsport park outside of Dalton GA and is in the foothills of the mountains and quite hilly and curvy - a very technically tough track - yours for a newbie - like me- seems like it would be easier and more fun in a way. But the track I was on really required super focus. Oh and the instructors lap - yeah - wow - what a difference between me and the pros - right. I know you felt similarly. Great fun though wasn't it.

So you are looking forward to buying the new one are you - have you checked in with Acura - is there a waiting list and are you on it??? IT's been mighty darned quite on the new NSX front - I haven't heard dip about it in a long while. What's new - do you have any insider info? So I take it you have the GT-R - right? I have a friend in SF that has driven that one and the F car and Porshce and Lambo all in one day oh and the Lotus Exige.

Have you driven an NSX? I would love to hear your impressions after driving the F430. Wonder if they're like mine? Thanks for writing and thanks for posting the videos!!! I enjoyed them.

- - - Updated - - -

And that is why a SOS SC NSX makes the NSX feel like the way it should have come from the factory in terms of power.

968 is the most powerful NA 4-banger car ever made. What did they use to get that much power? some sorta teutonic VTEC?

Hey Bat, great to hear from you and with a note I that sounds just like what I'd expect from you! Glad you chimed in - always good! Dude so when did you get the SC on your NSX? That's not too recent I guess but I don't remember you having that at first. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I've ridden in one with an SC - Eiffel here in Atlanta - great shop he has - has one too and it's fun but the power comes on fast - kind of wonder what it's like to live with?

All the best man...

Hahaha...Halohalo is a popular Filipino dessert(Avatar pic).

Never seen and driven NSX in the past but read and heard a lot about the car.

Just called Gunn Acura in San Antonio...they don't accept reservations at the moment. A friend of mine in El Paso said that their local Acura dealer is already taking orders. Not sure though... Has to be verified.

Yes...I have the GTR...modified to Stage 2...e85 and 93 pump tuned. Runs about 600+HP. Still waiting to go to the track.

F430 is really good. I did the GT version. It was a learning experience in general. I still like the GTR handling though. I really don't do Autocross but did once with the local Porsche Club.

I'm really looking forward with the NSX. Is it going to be with paddle shift?

Good to see you back Tim. Nice write up.

Maybe you can get Shawn's 04.... you are partial to Silver.... Happy New Year (Late).

Hope to hear you are back in the NSX Saddle again sometime in the future.

Hey Bat, great to hear from you and with a note I that sounds just like what I'd expect from you! Glad you chimed in - always good! Dude so when did you get the SC on your NSX? That's not too recent I guess but I don't remember you having that at first. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I've ridden in one with an SC - Eiffel here in Atlanta - great shop he has - has one too and it's fun but the power comes on fast - kind of wonder what it's like to live with?

All the best man...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ld-Engine-Build-for-FI/page2?highlight=wiseco

I have had an F430 spider for the past 2.5 years and completely agree with your perspective on the car. I in fact just drove my first NSX last week, and I have been lurking on the boards for the past 5 years - with cash in hand, I'm looking forward to picking up my NSX (the right one) in the next couple of months! Still after all these years, the NSX is an amazing machine and a keeper for life.

Hey Guys, (BTW - Happy New Year to all my buds and everyone on Prime!)

Haven't posted in a good while but I have been reflecting on my old 91 NSX and how it compares to the F430 I drove at the new Motorsport Park in Dawsonville recently! Before I get into that story, I want to first say that buying and owning an NSX is one of the best car experiences I've ever had and i've had a few. The car is rock solid, handles incredibly and has good power and I know there are those here that believe the NSX is "anemic" - I'm not one of those. It makes good power and for the time it was introduced it made very good power! But the magic is not merely in the engine bay although that sound coming from the engine when it's in the Vtec range is amazing, but it's that great suspension and the way the car handles. It handles better than my 993 and that car was the second best sports car experience I've ever had. But there is another even more important part about the NSX and that is the something that takes it beyond any sports car and into super stardom above all the "exotics" - what would this be???? It's the fact that it has the most bullet proof engine and drive train of any sports car built since it came out and most likely of all time.

Yep that one thing sets it far and away from all others, it's a scalpal, a fine precision auto, a great track instrument I suspect and just an all round great car and it has the most comfortable seats ever! Now why have I written to you guys with renewed gusto for this marque? It's because of my track time in the F430 and also on the same day track time in the new 991 911 Carrera S. Yep both cars on the same day. Drove the Ferrari first after a bit of schooling by the instructor and a couple of laps with him at the wheel to show me the ropes of the track, where to brake, how to find the line on this new track. The track is not a real fast one because it doesn't have long straights and is up and down and very twisty...lot's of elevation changes - but a good track all in all I'm sure. Not as good as the track in Birmingham or Road Atlanta though. So when I got behind the wheel of the F430 first thing I noticed was the way you sat down in the car, hmmmm, seems a bit familiar - then the view out the front windsheild - hmmm a little more familiar with those fenders rising on both sides but the view was not as good as the NSX - that was my first comparison. Then driving it off - it was not manual - but I shifted the "F1 like" tranny in manual mode and it was very responsive - it felt heavy and yet quite powerful with over 500 hp! The steering felt a whole lot like the NSX - mmm must be what they did when they built the NSX - take a Ferrari apart and figured out how to make a car handle. The F430 had that raw feel - hardly felt like it had power steering - kind of like the 91 NSX i had but the NSX was more nimble - not as powerful of course - but more nimble and easier to handle than the F430 - at least in my humble opinion. The F car was fast but it didn't handle as well in the corners as the 991 - the 991 handles better and takes the corners better but the F430 is faster in the straights but it should be with over 100 hp more power. But it still had to be man handled around the track unlike the 911 which has too much power steering input.

I enjoyed my track time in both cars - I really did - I have to say I liked the F430 better than the 991 - and if given one I would take the F car at least for 6 mos and then I'd sell it before I had to do any maintenance. Would I then buy the 991? Well even if I had the money I think I'd pass. The 991 didn't have that solid build feel - sure it did everything right and it gets good gas mileage too! It has great performance and is very high tech but it lacks something - after you've had older 911s you'd know what I mean by this - it feels a bit cheaply made and I don't know how else to put it - the steering felt numb compared the F car - and it felt numb compared to my NSX too.

So what would I buy - given the opportunity - I'd buy the last gen NSX - I mean the gen 3 - yes I call it gen 3 and I know that is not quite correct cause they didn't do anything but cosmetic tweaks but still that's the easiest way to refer to the 2002 - 2005 edition. Anyway, that's what I'd buy and in the end that's what I'll look for - when the time comes. It is uncanny how much the NSX feels like the Ferrari - not as heavy, certainly not as powerful, but it feels better in a way cause it's lighter and more nimble and on that track in the right hands could outdo the F430 in less experienced hands. The other thing is this - it is so far beyond the F car in the fact that it requires so much less maintenance. Now the NSX isn't cheap but by F car standards it is like a Volkswagon - the old beatle - by comparison. And guys that is what makes it the greatest sports car in a comparo if everything is considered. The 3.2/6 speed will ring everything it has to offer and it does it with natural aspiration like the Ferrari.

When I owned 911s everytime it made a funny noise I wondered how much that was going to cost me. What was that - oh - and when you replace the brake pads you replace the rotors or they squeel like crazy. You can't believe that my old 91 with just less than 50k on the odometer had the original pads and rotors! AND when you replace them you don't have to replace the rotors either. Even though I intend to buy a 2009 911 Targa with the new 9A1 engine to tour the country in because of the roof, all glass, and the fact that it has storage capabilities that the NSX just doesn't have and you can take 2 sets of clubs and luggage and tour. But when I get thru with that after a couple of years I'll be back in the latest model NSX I can afford with the lowest miles and drift off into the sunset and old age driving that car because it is the best performer for the money unless the new NSX in about 10 years is affordable and it may be - who knows.

So all of you guys here on Prime that have the NSX in your garrage don't feel like you have a less than exotic super car because there are a lot of ways to define that. NSX may they roll on forever! Hope you all enjoy them and you sure don't see yourself coming the other way very often if ever. Great cars! Amazing that they were ever built! Be happy, happy trails and Happy New Year!

Good to see you back Tim. Nice write up.

Maybe you can get Shawn's 04.... you are partial to Silver.... Happy New Year (Late).

Hope to hear you are back in the NSX Saddle again sometime in the future.

Hey Rod,

I wondered when you might drop in on this post - glad to see you are still a happy NSX owner. You know I thought about that car of Shawn's but he's apparently so busy that he doesn't have time to answer my PM? Oh well, he's got a lot going on and I'm not really ready to buy anything right now. I've got to sell my beautiful classic 85 Euro 635CSI - it's in great shape now! If I had room for lots of cars I'd keep it but I can have only one. I'm ready to move on to something else but not right away. The NSX I want will most likely cost me pretty dearly. I'm not ready for that investment yet. Still in the process of save mode for retirement. First things first - but eventually I will return to the fold!

Back