• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

remember-when-japanese-cars-were-really-cool

America turned its back on the Japanese challengers, issuing a loud and clear message to Japan: We don’t want your fun cars. We want your dull, three-box sedans.

So sad =/

There are some inaccuracies in that article though, like "DOHC version of the Legend engine". Much more sophisticated than that actually...

or "320 hp twin turbo" 300ZX

Other than that, cool read. I like how he did not even mention the new Z cars. I have never been a big fan of their styling and wished they would go back to the more "exotic" Z32 proportions

I still want an FD to play with, but ever since the first fast and furious the values have become outrageous. Some day I will do a build on one I hope.

Cars I can disassemble and reassemble in my sleep

310-GX
B-210
240Z
260Z
280Z
280Z
280ZX
300ZX
F-10
Any Datsun pickup
Any Mazda pickup
RX-7

Although not too many of these would be considered cool I really liked them. They were easy to work on. Simple. I can't even count how many Datsun motors I took apart and rebuilt, some with used parts that were frozen in ice and chiseled out of the floor of my buddies garage, and they worked. It sucked so bad having to lay on that slab of ice when working on a car and having salt water drip on my face and in my eyes, usually mixed with cinders.

I really loved the F-10 and I had a pile of them. Most rotted out in the front wheel support, A-arm. The support was two pieces of "tin" welded together and would quickly rot out, that's why I got the f-10s so cheap, people would sell them for pennies or often give them away. I made a jig and welded up my own support. the cars would last for another year until the frame rotted out where the A-arm attached to it. After that the car would make its way to the track through the woods behind the house where once it would go no further on three wheels it would be parked for good. Some of them still sit out there.

Nero - I still want an FD. Now is the time to buy. I've been following the prices and it's done nothing but go up in the last 2-3yrs similar to the NSX. They were also only available for such a short time comparitively.

Davidf - I wanted a LSx in a FD for so long until I really started researching it. I was so close to pulling the trigger until I realized every LSx retrofit kit required butchering the stock steering assembly. The steering feel is one of the best things about that car. Sad...

Steveny - I don't see a Datsun Roadster on that list!

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Front_1.jpg

Anyone leaving the Miata off such a list has probably never driven one on track.

True, maybe not "exotic" by some standards, and of course, it's viewed by many as a chick's car, they are incredibly capable, durable, pure to its mission, and just plain fun.

I'm a little surprised no one else seems to take issue with the author's characterization of those who refer to cars by their chassis codes...

+1 on the Miata. I'm about to replace mine with an NSX (any day now). Pics of it below FWIW.

309698_2159021426761_1646658_n.jpg
311547_2150416731649_4435343_n.jpg

Last edited:
The LFA is still pretty cool.

Cool, but most likely unattainable. It was a steal going for MSRP of approx $450,000.00! This will become a million dollar car in the next 10-20years.

This thread is useless without pics. ;)

Here's my 95TT. 410/427 on stock turbos.

z3.jpg

z3.jpg

Loved these cars back in the day, almost bought a turbo, but then bought a nsx instead, better investment, and not as dated. :cool:

Lovely cars aren't they? Oh and I didn't mean to mislead anyone, but I don't have the 300ZXTT anymore. Sold it almost 10 years ago. Every once in a while I find myself checking to see if there are any clean examples for sale in the area. ;)

z3.jpg

Even better taste than I suspected.. my first car I paid for and didnt' borrow from my parents was a black 91 TT. All stock cosmetically but the rear wing was removed for a sleeker look (PO). Frankly I have never owned a better car and I bought that one when it was already 10+ years old and had ~100k miles on it. It had full catback w/ test pipes, stage III ECU, etc. Hit 160mph effortlessly. Supposedly the TT's were good for almost 180mph dead stock with the 155mph limiter removed. I didn't really believe it but after adding 100hp and seeing how easily it hit 160, I bet mine could have reached the 190's which is quite incredible.

- - - Updated - - -

Loved these cars back in the day, almost bought a turbo, but then bought a nsx instead, better investment, and not as dated. :cool:

Agree on all counts but all the 90's era japanese 'supercars' have held their value tremendously. Every turbo version, be it supra, z32, MR2, FD, has been valued about the same for the last 6-10 years. I sold my z32TT for $2,500 more than I paid for it and only put about $500 into it. That was prior to the recession and when they truly started becoming hard to find; now it is almost impossible without spending an egregious amount of money.

Last edited:
Lovely cars aren't they? Oh and I didn't mean to mislead anyone, but I don't have the 300ZXTT anymore. Sold it almost 10 years ago. Every once in a while I find myself checking to see if there are any clean examples for sale in the area. ;)

I think robr had a really nice one too with a competition stereo installed in it. I think he put pictures on this site at one point.

Cool, but most likely unattainable. It was a steal going for MSRP of approx $450,000.00! This will become a million dollar car in the next 10-20years.

Are you kidding? The LFA original retail was $375,000. There are still new ones available even now. By and large, it is a grossly overpriced, artificially inflated car without a market niche. Lexus is just Lexus, a luxury brand that sells cars from $30k to $110K normally. The LFA was hyped to be all sold out at the beginning but later confessed to be still available and they are still available. If ISF is a $65k car, there is no reason why the LFA could not be a $120k car and represents the flagship of the marque. Instead, the car got all the "state of the art" stuffs that do not translate to superior performance but just a big fat price tag. The GTR does it for $85k. If it takes Lexus $375k to beat/match the Ferrari counterpart, then it is already a big failure. I am sure the LFA is an awesome to the max kind of car. But is it $375k Lexus kind of awesome? For people that who can buy the LFA with their pocket changes, will they pursuit the car further by paying more and more in the future to make it a million dollar car? A "steal" for $450K? I just don't see it.
The Toyota clearly had a wrong marketing strategy with the LFA. They should have made a $120k Lexus LFA with their superior know-how, quality and value to showcase the marque's philosophy. I am sure the $120k LFA would have been just as capable in performance as the $375k but it would be much more visible and representing to propel the market share. The $375k LFA is only known among car nuts like us and so far I have not seen one on the road. I call that "halo" car effort wasted.

"Cool" would be pretty low on my list of Japanese car adjectives. "Expensive" and "generally reliable" come to mind quickly.

The LF-A was supposed to be an alternative to the front-engine, V12, GT niche where Ferrari was seemingly the default. So, it compared favorably in that realm when it came to performance metrics & the like. Instead of aluminum monocoque, it was carbon-composite. In typical Japanese fare (instead of V8, a V6; instead of i6, an i4, etc) it was a sonorous V10 instead of a hearty V12. I believe it'll fare relatively well in-relation to its intended counterparts (599 GTB Fiorano, F12 Berlinetta, etc) w/ regards to residuals & collect-ability.

Other interesting '90s Japanese models where the 1st gen Mitsubishi Diamante, the Mazda 929 & Millenia, 1st gen Lexus ES300 & SC coupes, and Infiniti J30 & 1st gen refreshed Q45. Even the Subaru SVX & Isuzu VehiCross were rather interesting. I still find myself giving all of the aforementioned a second look whenever I come across 'em!

With the exception of the early '90s Legends (2nd gen coupes/sedans) & perhaps the Del Sol, there really wasn't any other Honda/Acura that caught my eye. There were good, solid cars in the lineup then for sure, but nothing that elicited an "ooh, aah..." other than the NSX! :D

If the economy continues to improve for supercars I have a feeling the LFA will hold it's value or even appreciate.

15yrs from now is when I feel that car will grow into it's full potential in both awareness of what it is, and market value.

If I had the $$ i'd buy one now :)

Back