• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reproduction of Comptech camshafts

Hey guys i'm just looking for a little information. I am getting ready to install so go fast parts installed. I have a set of Comptech cams that my NSX friend wants to have a reproduction made before installation. The manufacturer we have decided to us will be LS Engineering down in So Cal. They have asked me what metal choice I would like to go with and I'm a little unsure about the requisite hardening methods to use. My friend will be running the BC 3.5 kit and use the NSX 50% drag race and 50% street daily driver. Does anyone have experience in this area that they are willing to share.

Any help will be much appreciated. :confused:

I don't know the metallurgy of the OEM cams, but IIRC they are hard-nitride coated for longevity.

From what I've heard, a hardface overlay welded onto an existing camshaft is one of the best ways to go. You can put a very long lasting metal on the camshafts for the VTEC lobes, giving them more lift and duration that stock, and you don't have to grind down the non-VTEC lobes. That's how Comptech camshafts were made.

If you have a set of Comptech camshafts out of the engine, could you do the community a big favor and measure the intake and exhaust lobes along the two axes in this picture?

Comptech advertised the lift specs at the valve but I don't think anyone has ever measured the lobes and posted the results.

Could you measure how much lift the Mugen camshafts have?

Comptech camshafts supposedly retain the OEM low speed lobes but have VTEC lobes that give you more lift and duration. The published specs for the Comptech VTEC lobes are 11.43 mm lift on the intake side and 10.92 mm lift on the exhaust side at the valve. Given an NSX's 1.55:1 rocker arm ratio, that means the VTEC lobes should have 7.37 mm of lift on the intake side and 7.05 mm of lift on the exhaust side measured at the cam. (Just measure a cam's thickness along the two axes pictured above, subtract the two, and you have the lift at the cam)

How do your Mugen camshafts compare regarding maximum lift?

And it would be great if someone could measure a set of Comptech camshafts to confirm that the published specs are actually correct!

The best material for Camshafts to be produced in is Tool Steel.

I'd wager to bet that Nikos at Superior Valve Motion has the resources and motivation to produce a few different cam profiles for the NSX.

His K Series Cams are impressive

Back