• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rumored non-hybrid $110,000 NSX (rumor started by OP....)

450hp twin turbo V6 power, rear wheel drive, 9 speed DCT, 3100 lbs, $110k base price...
OK, I'm the one starting the rumor - but who would be in on this version? :cool:

Never going to happen. The hybrid system is far too integrated in to the car for them to ever pull it out.

+1. Ted says the car uses electric motors and hybrid system to make the car more responsive to us, drivers and taking it our would ruin the whole car.

The future of hybrid sports cars is upon us. Accept it. Embrace it. Enjoy it.

I just went out and hugged a tree in the front yard.....I didn't enjoy it.

I just went out and hugged a tree in the front yard.....I didn't enjoy it.

I think this is funny. Do people still think that they are using the hybrid system in the new NSX to be green or for better fuel economy?
I don't think that is the case at all. I think the hybrid system is for performance and performance alone.

The electric motor integrated with transmission will provide instant torque while the v-6 turbo spools up and the two independent electric motors up front will allow a level of control that is not currently possible with a single powertrain.

This is not your mother's Hybrid, this is hybrid technology used for performance. There is a very big difference. I guess soon enough we will know who is correct when the reviews start to come out.

Last edited:
I think this is funny. Do people still think that they are using the hybrid system in the new NSX to be green or for better fuel economy?
I don't think that is the case at all. I think the hybrid system is for performance and performance alone.

The electric motor integrated with transmission will provide instant torque while the v-6 turbo spools up and the two independent electric motors up front will allow a level of control that is not currently possible with a single powertrain.

This is not your mother's Hybrid, this is hybrid technology used for performance. There is a very big difference. I guess soon enough we will know who is correct when the reviews start to come out.
Formula One has pretty much proven this to be true... The performance benefit is there and it just so happens to be fuel efficient also. Though I better shut up now for fear of being called defensive about the new NSX :p

We will know in a few months. The original RL SH-AWD was a let down. Let's hope Honda finally put the R&D into the SH-AWD technology it deserved and made it as good in real life as it's potential on paper.

+1 Exactly my thoughts.

Maybe buy a used 12C instead?

What are thoughts on the MP4-12C? I've always liked them and have noticed the price drops recently. Are they very expensive maintenance or known to have some serious issues? I am just wondering if the price drop is a natural depreciation or is there something slightly don't-touch about these as compared to other similarly priced exotics?

Maybe buy a used 12C instead?

Even the cheapest used 12C is still about $150,000. If someone is hankering for a $110,000 NSX, a used MP4-12C may not be what the doctor ordered. A used GT3 or R8 on the other hand would be totally doable.

What are thoughts on the MP4-12C? I've always liked them and have noticed the price drops recently. Are they very expensive maintenance or known to have some serious issues? I am just wondering if the price drop is a natural depreciation or is there something slightly don't-touch about these as compared to other similarly priced exotics?

From what I've read at least the first year of 12C's had some reliability and build-quality issues. For example, Exotics Racing out of Vegas supposedly permanently dropped McLarens from their fleet due to issues they had with theirs.

The other thing is that the McLaren dealer network is sparse so if you don't live near a dealer, service is going to be a pain. My take on the 12C is that maybe one should avoid the first year cars and factor in transportation to the dealership if the dealer isn't close. If purchasing out of warranty, be ready for big bills (which is probably good practice for any exotic).

On the flip side, the 12C's lower resale value makes it a great buy vs a 458. And truth be told,the significantly lower resale value may also be a function of the fact that the McLaren badge may not inspire the same irrational desire that the prancing horse does as of yet.

Last edited:
Even the cheapest used 12C is still about $150,000. If someone is hankering for a $110,000 NSX, a used MP4-12C may not be what the doctor ordered. A used GT3 or R8 on the other hand would be totally doable.
Since we're talking a MR layout I didn't mention a GT3 though it is an obvious choice for a near like for like car and agree with you.

To OP:
So why not buy a Cayman GTS or even a GT4 if Mid-Engine is required? How about wait for the rumored MR "C8" Corvette? (Perhaps you see where i'm going with this) :)

Since we're talking a MR layout I didn't mention a GT3 though it is an obvious choice for a near like for like car and agree with you.

To OP:
So why not buy a Cayman GTS or even a GT4 if Mid-Engine is required? How about wait for the rumored MR "C8" Corvette? (Perhaps you see where i'm going with this) :)

:applouse::applouse::applouse:

1000 times this. The GT4 may indeed be the perfect mid-engined sports car for those who want either a simpler and lighter car, or something cheaper than the NSX, R8, etc. Might wanna get your name on the list now actually...

The one aspect about a big faction of the enthusiast community that continues to confuse me is the strong desire to want these "Supercars" available with, arguably, old technology. People are posting all over the internet their struggle with accepting that the new NSX will never have a manual transmission or that it is a hybrid. I think this post is an extension of that (no offense to OP).

There will always be cars that are more analog in feel starting with the FRS/BRZ/GT86 all the way up to the Cayman GTS and potentially the new S2000 replacement. I know i'll get heat for this but let's get over it folks :)

I was being "tongue-in-cheek" about it. When someone says Hybrid, embrace and enjoy, my first thought is Prius. Since I follow F1, I'm really excited that the same technology is coming to performance cars. And after I saw a Tesla P85D on the Dyno at a local Coffee and Cars, I'm sold on the use of electric motors. Maintenance should be minimal. But, replacement parts will cost a bundle.

I was being "tongue-in-cheek" about it. When someone says Hybrid, embrace and enjoy, my first thought is Prius. Since I follow F1, I'm really excited that the same technology is coming to performance cars. And after I saw a Tesla P85D on the Dyno at a local Coffee and Cars, I'm sold on the use of electric motors. Maintenance should be minimal. But, replacement parts will cost a bundle.

Severely expensive until the technology becomes more abundant...

I was being "tongue-in-cheek" about it. When someone says Hybrid, embrace and enjoy, my first thought is Prius.

uhmm, so clearly you don't know about the 950hp La Ferrari which has the e-motor as well? This is the wave of the future. The e-motor given instantaneous throttle response until the real fire from the combustion motor lights up the street. They've come a long way from Prius.

Well, I wasn't planning on going through the roster of hybrids, but yes I'm aware of "the Ferrari", the 918 and the P1 as well. It was sarcasm. And if I was in the right tax bracket I'd own one of them. We are in the golden age of the automobile. So many options on how to get to 200 MPH to choose from. Electric/gas, electric/diesel, naturally aspirated, turbo/supercharged and I'm sure one day soon, an all electric car will be available that can reach those high speeds...it's all good.

We are in the golden age of the automobile. So many options on how to get to 200 MPH to choose from. Electric/gas, electric/diesel, naturally aspirated, turbo/supercharged

I agree, we are in the golden age. What would be rumour worthy is the introduction of a V-8 twin Turbo to the future iterations of this car, instead of the V-6 twin Turbo

I agree, we are in the golden age. What would be rumour worthy is the introduction of a V-8 twin Turbo to the future iterations of this car, instead of the V-6 twin Turbo

It definitely would be rumor worthy though, I doubt we'll ever see that. The trend is smaller lighter turbo or supercharged engines mated to electric motors. In fact, we don't even know the what liter the new NSX engine is and I wouldn't be surprised to see it at less than 3.5 or maybe even 3.0 liters in keeping with their F1 program technology and to help compensate for the additional weight of the hybrid system. And I'm okay with that because, as those of us who have added turbos and superchargers know, these small engines can produce incredible HP/liter.

What is it with you guys that you keep wanted a V8 in the NSX. The Porsches 911 never had a V8 and still they performed well.
Personally I see NO advantages in switching to a V8, it only complicates things. Extra parts, more room, more plumbing etc.

Is there any fuel-economy advantages in going to a V8 vs V6 with similar displacement? Are the internal losses any less?
If that would be true, I would love to see someone build me a nice 2.0 liter V8.

Ain't the next S2000 going to be MR w/o hybrid system? Like the R8 v8, I doubt Honda will make the mistake offering something less after the initial debut.

Back