• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

you are the head of the class...:biggrin:

> heads

I'd ring Shad up, probably the best way to go about it really.

> cats

Have you considered SOS cats?

good advise on the Shad man...

Yes on Shad! I have to pick his brain one day (if he'll let me!)

Yes also on SOS cats. I was debating on Chris' but it seems it was specific to his high HP setup. I couldn't tell. I also don't know who makes the element inside. I've had my eye on the HJS cats for years. They're imported from Germany but true motorsport grade. I figure it was time... I've wanted these for a while just couldn't justify the cost until now.

For some odd reason the photos of the felines were not loading for me, but I did see them on your gram :cool:. It's been fun keeping up with your build here and even more so now on youtube! The videos offer such a different dimension to the documentation process and it's nice having that content to add to the posts here.

Paparazzi photo of this unicorn part. Hint: You can see the reverse lockout switch.

I remember the days when these things would show up for sale somewhat regularly.

I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I want to build this up. TiDave is developing a nice Wavetrack LSD...

ACtC-3c1sUDGRuBaaLWYZC27xM82e0FL-wPBz0Ndsf5Hvwu5iKNV0UjLqRWt3NYW9I71QTa9rWd6gS1kSNHUlMdPj33s8u3V5ShTaPVNY1Qg0xS5Gntq38JID6Lso_QGsi27H314ZiPvOgjUDmyW7ID_5uoHNA=w702-h935-no

Paparazzi photo of this unicorn part. Hint: You can see the reverse lockout switch.

I remember the days when these things would show up for sale somewhat regularly.

I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I want to build this up. TiDave is developing a nice Wavetrack LSD...

I'm jealous. Like, really jealous. :D

Step 1 - Send out for vapor blasting like Billy had done to his engine block.
Step 2 - Order all new synchros, hubs and seals $$$$
Step 3 - Wavetrac from Dave with 4.23 :cool:

Then bask in your NSX God status lol

I think 2 or 3 people are hoarding all of these units. I looked for almost 2 years and couldn't find anything.

Dude.. I need more like an AA 12 step rehab program!

A friend (big Porsche guy) mentioned Rob Dickenson is hoarding all the 6 spds for whatever gen 911s, my guess is 993/996/997. Prices are even more insane in their market evidently. I suppose we have our own NSX Rob Dickenson! Wait..... that's you right???

I'm jealous. Like, really jealous. :D

Step 1 - Send out for vapor blasting like Billy had done to his engine block.
Step 2 - Order all new synchros, hubs and seals $$$$
Step 3 - Wavetrac from Dave with 4.23 :cool:

Then bask in your NSX God status lol

I think 2 or 3 people are hoarding all of these units. I looked for almost 2 years and couldn't find anything.

I suppose I will bury this news here and available to the 3 people that read my thread :D :D :D

I helped HQ Engineering yesterday prototype a Drive-by-wire ITB setup. My inner nerd was super giddy. Holy Sh*t it's fast. If it wasn't such an ugly proof of concept I'd post the short vid clip here. Hell... Maybe I will.

I decided it was too much effort to retrofit my HKS F-Con to control DBW but should I need the added throttle control with the 3.6L i'll be looking into perhaps a Haltech. I'm honestly not looking forward to that install but being able to to control throttle progressivity, add drive modes, etc via software sounds super cool.

Nothing exciting to report but some progress nonetheless. ITB still functioning above expectations and Adnan [MENTION=20830]A.S. Motorsport[/MENTION] and I have been working on a pretty airbox design, but the rest of the 3.6L build is going very slow for the obvious pandemic related reasons. I'm hoping @HQEngineering and I can to get something installed in time for NSXPO Portland but it'll leave me little time to work out the bugs. I hate being pinched into a situation like that honestly but will make do as always. There's a very good chance NSXPO will be the first track day for the motor if we even get that far. If so, it will be 1000 miles from home base.

I'm going to hold off on tearing into the 6 speed until I have some miles with the 3.6L on the stock gearing. I may prefer a 4.23 final and I have the Wavetrack LSD awaiting from @titaniumdave's group buy.

Meanwhile, I agreed to a taillight swap with another owner. At least my rear end matches my front end, but I will miss the more cohesive black look of the JDM tail lamps.

ACtC-3cxAxMgc-wHYOQQI6H5uitUPq0HkfjLCngVkh-4eu-OlJb4I-v_6MUeC-wWH1YxSzxvMp1rty44bXQBUNQ6xUJK-S2bgfQ58yScFbi9HW4yM2ne18FA6lah5Tgjrk4JtbWv13744_TRxMTBT3Q9seqgFw=w1291-h969-no

ACtC-3fT19_plph6H52X49djEipWuQ6Xedxp-iYBJE5bIFc2JB3gKP2fahjNhSk1T72LYkfbE8DeIYVCXaEFrW5qyK367IUwYHSTLTetn3mH_3QoJm7YbF6hYGjgsYckxCOUwenSC6-rnwpDlRTX1FI42_va1g=w1292-h969-no

Last edited:
Hope we can catch up and grab lunch/dinner or just drop by the garage when you're on the way to NSXPO.

I'm planning a drive to HQ once I'm back from Europe, glad to read you're having great experience with them. I've heard this is great bunch of people, this is very encouraging.

[MENTION=27958]solidol[/MENTION] - yep! hit me up. work is getting busy busy busy for me but if you come down early enough we should be able to plan it.

-----------------------------

Time for an update. [MENTION=25108]illwillem[/MENTION] got me up to speed on available CF materials you can buy in raw stock form. while i'm still waiting (~3 months and counting) for my CF plenum I decided to build the baseplate out of the new amazing stuff Will introduced me to. It's this honeycomb type of product sandwiched between 2 CF sheets. IT'S CRAZY STRONG AND CRAZY LIGHT. I was actually pretty blown away by the materials science that went into this product. It's fire resistant also and ought to be a great heat insulator. I don't even know it's name but it's been out for a while. I'm just way out-of-date on my materials knowledge.

To fit a proper airbox with an ITB setup it's more complicated than it looks. One has to raise it high enough to clear the alternator, fuel rails, and other items like the engine lifting hook (which can be removed). Due to the engine placement, the ITBs also comes so far back that it comes into close contact with the rear strut tower bar. I had to relocate that and rotate the JRZ cannister mounts with an elegant and simple solution from Adnan. I've seen several ITBs over the years but never noticed many just remove the RTSB - I'm not about that!

By the way, the net savings of the stock intake assembly vs. the ASM ITB kit (less airbox) is 6.9kgs. Anyone care to guess the net savings compared to a CTSC setup like my previous? Comes from the top of the engine too.

Lots of work to get this to fit like this. One of the important aspects of this was the fact that I do not want to see any exposed nuts or bolts when the plenum is installed.

More to come... if I ever get the CF plenum in my hands.

AM-JKLWKZ5JcDUrYoEoB-zRcVE_3i10DxUuEeHlCElqfMVV4NBwx-6wpFjAEhHxfKqbCCnay3KTXzO-aOYKPI5uEexbEK4KwSB1TDPTZaLDgXSB9FI2J3PQByVCYQIFWolvBqddDGTMK-kyLx_M8xKdeB3msoA=w727-h969-no

Btw... I got bored and threw these on. Evidently the lightest forged wheel Volk has ever made.
AM-JKLUEs46Ti8ot4SBYza04xjhymcPo3TtOLqR-u4LO40ntIEqc6IHyeZNMRdyTwht18BL9saDX_cegxR5qadcnjgBEJNXwPnoEkM_hPhRFh8OxjNLB1HGvIKBpGqcbpJ0aQuqL9kxB3UT_V963LJc8AGalGQ=w1292-h969-no

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

Cool! That carbon honeycomb material is used as floor panels in Boeing airplanes, though it’s often Kevlar sandwiching the honeycomb in that application. My dad used to do mfg process work for the local Boeing plant in my hometown where they made it (and carbon hvac ducts). Because he’s a pack rat, and they often had a surplus of it, he’s ended up with a whole room full of 4x8 sheets of the stuff, some carbon and some Kevlar. Growing up he’d make all kinds of random stuff out of it, doors, tabletops, shelves etc. We just called it “floor panel material”…

Anyway, I can attest to it being really really strong and really really light. Like a 6”x4’ strip of it is ounces and will hardly deflect when you stand on it. I made a few things for past cars out of it: battery boxes, the thing under the trunk carpet in my DA. I remember getting carbon slivers every time I’d have to get under the carpet back there

Cool to see it in the wild! And the trumpets look great

[MENTION=27958]solidol[/MENTION] - yep! hit me up. work is getting busy busy busy for me but if you come down early enough we should be able to plan it.

-----------------------------

Time for an update. [MENTION=25108]illwillem[/MENTION] got me up to speed on available CF materials you can buy in raw stock form. while i'm still waiting (~3 months and counting) for my CF plenum I decided to build the baseplate out of the new amazing stuff Will introduced me to. It's this honeycomb type of product sandwiched between 2 CF sheets. IT'S CRAZY STRONG AND CRAZY LIGHT. I was actually pretty blown away by the materials science that went into this product. It's fire resistant also and ought to be a great heat insulator. I don't even know it's name but it's been out for a while. I'm just way out-of-date on my materials knowledge.

To fit a proper airbox with an ITB setup it's more complicated than it looks. One has to raise it high enough to clear the alternator, fuel rails, and other items like the engine lifting hook (which can be removed). Due to the engine placement, the ITBs also comes so far back that it comes into close contact with the rear strut tower bar. I had to relocate that and rotate the JRZ cannister mounts with an elegant and simple solution from Adnan. I've seen several ITBs over the years but never noticed many just remove the RTSB - I'm not about that!

By the way, the net savings of the stock intake assembly vs. the ASM ITB kit (less airbox) is 6.9kgs. Anyone care to guess the net savings compared to a CTSC setup like my previous? Comes from the top of the engine too.

Lots of work to get this to fit like this. One of the important aspects of this was the fact that I do not want to see any exposed nuts or bolts when the plenum is installed.

More to come... if I ever get the CF plenum in my hands.

AM-JKLWKZ5JcDUrYoEoB-zRcVE_3i10DxUuEeHlCElqfMVV4NBwx-6wpFjAEhHxfKqbCCnay3KTXzO-aOYKPI5uEexbEK4KwSB1TDPTZaLDgXSB9FI2J3PQByVCYQIFWolvBqddDGTMK-kyLx_M8xKdeB3msoA=w727-h969-no

Btw... I got bored and threw these on. Evidently the lightest forged wheel Volk has ever made.
AM-JKLUEs46Ti8ot4SBYza04xjhymcPo3TtOLqR-u4LO40ntIEqc6IHyeZNMRdyTwht18BL9saDX_cegxR5qadcnjgBEJNXwPnoEkM_hPhRFh8OxjNLB1HGvIKBpGqcbpJ0aQuqL9kxB3UT_V963LJc8AGalGQ=w1292-h969-no

[emoji30] I’m looking for a set of the SE37K’s, can anyone point me in the right direction pls [emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bogle

Figured i'd post here instead of cluttering up your thread.

Here's a set of Falken RT660
235/40-R17 on 17x9
265/35-R18 on 18x10

I have mixed feelings on the 265 vs 275 in the rears. I kind of wish I'd have gone with 275 on the rears as I think the balance will be better but the profile and "stretch" of the 265 matches the 235 out front aesthetically better.

Rears are on the left. Fronts on the right
AM-JKLXbo4dYpmpqqvQY1IejJg_dt6eR2tNUPtN12kKwSSSbLxAvCIKjLc0w1MmX-b4xAUxUhnYRnkP3C-Q-YWwaXzcencpsTDuMLPjE_EtUgU5kdCw2WYPND52c-lwPg72LWs_3l9TJI1iG1_HEwBpqi3_7Mw=w2658-h1994-no

AM-JKLXac_04r7jt_AkqmgtxIcnYQoe9xe2UTWsa75b-7dRswJdwfL5BXLr2hTlzbdBnZWjUCS8RSxLKqTG1bo3A7a6CzhtR9U-4hPGThAK2m0UxcihVO58XpUVSejjm3TeKLp-UIQTqOvXdYK8Yz7LTvB5Xrg=w2658-h1994-no

AM-JKLVkAGfxLZOKipLOrwNjYvSIl67aBSLmraU8GCbHNf3Z1w39oKKZKpXFP43J25hnBxKTNLnXHxQroQhT2sPQogWAyxcagM6z26yuN37-_j3sORVGosAUGPa-YP2gPZnI8oF4gQH7Z6q4Q0GtGAvu5O9YIw=w2658-h1994-no

btw... I think the internet overexagerates how wide these run.

Last edited:
They look great! It’s a really minimal stretch. Seems like you’ll have the right preload with those sizes. I can’t imagine the extra .3” or whatever on the 275s would change the balance much

I want to see them on the car! Is that pearl white?

They look great! It’s a really minimal stretch. Seems like you’ll have the right preload with those sizes. I can’t imagine the extra .3” or whatever on the 275s would change the balance much

I want to see them on the car! Is that pearl white?
I think it's called Sky White but who knows really what shade of white is named what lol. In my eyes this has always been a bit of a "super white" to me.

My car is a detailer's nightmare. White wheels on a black car.

Hope to get them mounted at some point soon. Parts are finally starting to come in after many months of waiting.

I think it's called Sky White but who knows really what shade of white is named what lol. In my eyes this has always been a bit of a "super white" to me.

My car is a detailer's nightmare. White wheels on a black car.

Hope to get them mounted at some point soon. Parts are finally starting to come in after many months of waiting.

Time for the Neutron White Pearl repaint a la Dori Dori. :D

Finished up a few more lingering items. Some of which have been to-do items for years.

1st easy mod. CF "mudflaps". I've been wanting to do this for years but also noticed Euroboutique started selling these too. I guess I'm not the only one with ideas haha :D. My rocker panels were getting really really hammered by the constant sandblasting from pebbles and other road debris. I was worried that the pits were starting to get pretty deep - like 1mm deep. These strakes weight almost nothing and ought to be pretty effective. I'm on the fence about how they look but they'll be functional. With the 235 Falken RT660's it's almost mandatory. It might take a minute to notice them but that was the point. I actually ordered the wrong CF base stock. I wanted the one without the exposed weave. Oh well...
AM-JKLUHrHnZ2ptY46ailEjARlnMPuo_6ejlKtxIpsv94Nt9REuLyqIjdZgFV344-ygmPVuIcZ9YcFkCo0m0rwXRt1O3ARVNTtyLOkNipjYM2zpO1SyxDslqZPCZ1LKjAG8AOAKqkXSI3RzlV7tW--MnG3OIdg=w612-h816-no

I also decided it was time to build proper side ducting in preparation for the airbox in transit after 5 months of waiting. I'm a total hack with fiberglass but it was quick and relatively easy. At some point in the future I may sand and bondo for smoothness when i'm bored at 60 years old haha. They turned out quite decent and look inconspicous if you're not shining a light right at them. There's one thing I think is so ugly.. staring into the side vents of the NSX and seeing the inside of the fender. Here's a work in progress pic with finger prints, fiberglass dust (Covid PPE came in handy!) and unpainted.
Driver's side directing air into the airbox
AM-JKLXXWZt_3bKY0evZgtht6tvM95sQA6Mnz51elFGQqY8Jd4LEn9vJayGYwMQP9dZxQfQLhN96YvpGXLkicJeo_d27kphIUdGMyYGgF6mtFGlP161dHgjetV9D3NKNvilqrAAUw8hOJ522SQ3JekhaNt5xfA=w612-h816-no

Passenger side directing air through the oil cooler
AM-JKLUH4RHuvG7ar-AG1JYM62WlEeqrd61CqoS64kqIEqlnI3TKVgcreN_pHPPl63cOni4zmi1uHmziB4apLygrrkr5W8vPmnw1qjUUiMGLVcIhlsCyys5eDyv3THsEdU6bDptD4Iepsp-Q1-Mnh-ha1_WhkQ=w612-h816-no

Can you see this video? They drain pretty well too. If you can see this, does anyone know how to embed here?
[video]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOoUejIgB2_j399umgwYSTPBy4tphH2KnkYz4cuHQth-r_Igd575g2Bqxoxm8UKaQ/photo/AF1QipNW7b9KaHilFFy7Tt4O_SN2n3UJNL8c-jF8Z9OX?key=eFlOVzd6N2pmdUZTVTN0UUNLMHpFbUN1S2FyVHJ3[/video]

I have to admit, seeing the ITBs through the glass is pretty rad. It's subtle and not subtle at the same time. It's too bad I'll have to cover them up with an airbox and engine lid.
AM-JKLW_iwIFTavzAIZDUd-_JLVhaLqZrDym_MDjhns6F3_cdmo75Qca7QV3s6Y05lZypRU-Qqvr5WHo0Kb8vcN05C_tdJCrCw5SL1y293MFz76ml8-dHlSHwMw11AhPzsSpiNHguCv9wVfaq6Ys57JfCVAgCg=w612-h816-no

Detailer's worst nightmare... white wheels on a black car
AM-JKLXwpRa9wB8hV9WeUQb7HpD3YOwuBRWdqcc2pjXZoONwoakJ2tBvEcr8Foox3PuHr2oZRotKiDaXn_BCvknxwPL4-GRxd86hD-oac49l2dpk9pDYY5iNx9uHBNTBFPbnLaZLRi6kr3sqiWl7b0PQ01B7lw=w612-h816-no

But she cleans up alright for a old girl...
AM-JKLUhIsIbPDg39HX_NAPkGEdv3f0WfWv2PILHxsqwuqBQVlxvwBpUXNOdjC89-w6InGmR2Bsvv6gUWl-z82WcUusJwMKa9mcFWdNQl_xRHcThmCWbH49CRvZRm5q042WWYUh2MuZ12PiXQpSOMQN5JXB8Xw=w612-h459-no

AM-JKLWtwNm1oBhhg8Q9RwWNXOfpas1iOdX7gz-Umc7dblAdI1M8dgY6sKMfpB2MdhWmIvfFCgklXJz1h7UhvcL1LOvFsKsNMjj7uYAj0ZvnLygbM9Ii8-jJ5585O6-sv_e6-_mY5LU4saKRYLQvj6ayjNcOqg=w612-h816-no

Btw... Due to the 17x9 +42 on the 235/40-R17 RT660's AND the Quick Ratio S2000 steering rack which has a more aggressive (tighter) turning radius, at full lock the inner part of the tire rubs on the STMPO brake ducts. I'll need to figure out how to install some limiters. I didn't have this problem with the thinner front tires. Also... i'm on Downforce fenders as i'm sure someone will ask (again).
AM-JKLUqF1zhLmupEc-3Qmxf1dRGdNNf9p0UL2wnPM1KitW-qNZQFYkhQhoTfnsAv96aofFeUBGXzQvgwmxYW88RIH99-6jeA0at1Co6-Qu8AfPhk-82Z4wkNcEMgNjCpxU5COlWL1isYuCwOaHLPtqRyiEMsQ=w612-h816-no

Back