• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 people, educate me :)

OK, just sold my Lotus 7 and looking for another track toy. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap, early model S2000 to essentially strip down and play with on lapping days.

I know there's a real NSX-S2K connection on these forums...a lot of Primers have either owned S2K's in the past or own one alongside the nsx. I'd like to get their opinions on these cars and how they compare to the NSX. I don't need outright power (my NA1 gives me that:biggrin:), but a nice complete package that's fun to thrash about and relatively inexpensive to fix/upgrade when the time comes.

I've thought of older 993's, 944's, M3's (I currently also have an E46 M3 for DD duties), but I really like how the prices have dropped on S2000's and of course keeping it in the Tochigi factory family ;)

Thanks
John

i love the s2000. i have had a 2000, 2003 and now own a 2008 that i plan on keeping for a very long time.

I actually prefer the s2000 and find it more fun to drive then the nsx. i think of the s2000 as a short distance top down all out fun car. The nsx to me is more suited to longer distance comfort.

As far as purchasing a s2000 for track duty i would look to a 02-03 (ap1) or if you have more budget a 06+ ap2 the ap2 has significantly more torque and the 06+ has an ecu that can be reflashed for even more low down torque as well as electronic brake force distribution.

Regardless of what year you choose, 02-03 or newer, they truly are a drivers car and have a track worthy, chassis, brakes, steering etc.. even in stock form. honda basically learned how to make a great sports car with the nsx, and then applied what they learned to the s2000.

please keep us posted with what you end up doing and best of luck

added pictures of the 2000 s2000 (silver) and 2008 s2000 (white)
please double click on the pictures for bigger

if someone could make the pictures bigger that would be great!!
thank

Attachments

• DSC_0170-1.jpg
    DSC_0170-1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0172.jpg
    DSC_0172.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 105
  • s engine.jpg
    s engine.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 116
  • s interior.jpg
    s interior.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 126
  • white s2k.jpg
    white s2k.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 137
  • white s2k engine.jpg
    white s2k engine.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I had an '01 S2000 (ex husband has it) and currently own an '05 S2000 and and '05 NSX. (BTW, I'm friends with socalx/socals, ^Tom.) I really love the power of my NSX,compared to my S2000, but the S2000 feels like my own personal car. I do have about 143,000 miles behind the wheel of S2000s vs. about 7,000 miles in the NSX, so maybe it's not fair for me to compare the handling of them, but the S just feels tighter, more fun and more trustworthy to me.

I've owned both a 2003 and a 2007 both AP1 models (nice to live in the Middle East...).

I learned how to drive properly with the S2000 on the track and its an amazing track car. You can really push it to the limit and feel safe and sound. I prefer the track experience of the NSX but the S2000 is a close second.

I think you'll find it quite fun for daily driving. I sure did and kind of miss it. You need to live with it being small but that's its purpose, small, nimble, and fast; all with the top down!

And the funny thing...they are the only cars I have not modified with wheels and suspension! That's how good they are even stock.:smile:

DSC00485.jpg

PC030010.jpg

Funny post, my last 2 cars that I bought were my 2001 S2000 Turbo that I sold and kinda regretted and a 1986 944 Turbo with only 50k. The Porsche was kinda old school for my likes.

go browse around on s2k international..there are some very fast track prepped cars esp on the west coast..those guys have stuffed 275 tires in the front..lots of parts to choose from talk to Chris at sos.

The S2000 and NSX are not the same in any way. I have a 2002 AP1 S2000 and a 1991 NA1 NSX.

The AP1 S2000 does not have traction control and therefore has a lot of over steer. It is predictable and provides a lot of fun when pushed to limits. The S2000 has little tourqe, but loves to live in the 6000 - 9000 RPM range. The steering has a great feel. The car is small and you kinda put it on, rather than get in it. The S2000 is a fun car.
The NSX has more bottom end torque, more under steer, but the biggest difference the NSX has a much lower stance than the S2000. Even stock, the NSX has a lower center of gravity than a S2000. The NSX is a more serious car.

Last edited:
I had an 01 Silverstone over red that I sold after a year for as much as I paid for it to buy an 02 Pearl Yellow over black for the glass rear window. Both fantastic little roadsters. Plenty of fun, great gearboxes and really fun little motors.

I do not like the quote/unquote improved 2.2L AP2 motors as much. I think Honda tried to appeal to the avg. American a little too much and while there were some real enhancements to the later cars (esp. the CR version) I think the really special, unique characteristics of the early 2.0L cars were lost in translation.

As someone else suggested, check out S2ki.com and you'll learn all you ever wanted to know and more.

Agree with warrenw. Really different rides, despite the Honda heritage. I love driving my 04 S2000, especially with the top down (great time of year for that :biggrin:), The car handles GREAT, and the engine gets "fun" over 4500 rpm.

The NSX is a much more sophisticated ride - really a totally different experience in my book.

When I found my NSX, my wife suggested I get rid of the S2000 - but I couldn't do it - and I actually find myself spending about equal time between the two cars.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the S2000, be it for a regular ride or something more spirited. Happy Motoring, Jay

Get the AP1 for a track toy. It is already pretty unrefined and is basically as close to a TypeR as you can get in the states. I use mine as a daily driver and wish I had a the AP2 just because they toned it down quite a bit. I 2nd docjohn; just find one that is already race prepped. There are a ton of them out there.

I had a 2001 s2k and 2003 nsx. The NSX is a way better car IMO. I remember the s2k had one problem, that if you lose the rear end at high speed it really hard not to go off the road rear first. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can verify this. I know there are lots of vids on youtube showing this (handing flaw?). Whereas it's hard to find vids of this happening with a boxster or other car that's more forgiving.

Thanks for the responses guys, I knew I can count on Primers for some info. I know abotu S2Ki and have been a member there for quite some time (I was actually shopping for a S2000 before I decided on the NSX), and was amazed my old account still worked ;) The only issue I have with posting there is that you will get very pro-S2K biased info, which I didn't want tohear. I wanted opinions from NSX people, since I have noticed over the years that a lot of NSXers have had or own S2K's.

I have been checking their classifieds...a really interesting one came up for sale a month ago and unfortunately he's returned it to stock and sold it off...shame, I would have bought it in a heartbeat...had everything I wanted, right milege, price was a bargain since he didn't want to go through undoing all his mods. Oh well.

BTW: when I was shopping for a fun car, it was a hard decision between a brand new S2000 or a 10 year old used NSX. In the end the NSX won because my wife (rightly) said "you might like the S2K but if an NSX passes you on the road you will always start whining about why you didn't jst get your dream car. NSX, best decision ever, but now that I have xtra garage sapce, its time to pick up that S2000 ;)

We have had a first year (for the US) S2000 for several years now, and echo Jetpilot3 & De Hapa's comments.
The early cars are the most raw and purposeful, ideally suited for the track.
To me, many of the 'refinements' over the years did not contribute to adding speed or fun to the equasion. Things like the clutch delay valve (added in '02 IIRC?) may have shifted some of the wear from the differential (covered by warranty) to the clutch (not warranted), but it didn't make the car lighter or faster.
Still, ANY S2000 can be a pretty serious track car if setup well.
I had the good fortune to drive a friend's CR, and I do think that version got back some of the elemental mojo of the original ;^D

Brian

Last edited:
I have both a NA1 NSX and an AP2 (2005) S2000. I have never tracked my NSX (nor do I plan to), but have taken my stock S2000 to a HPDE class. I've taken other cars before, but the S was simply amazing. I achieved faster laps than ever before without ever straining or abusing the car. So if you plan to track your next car, you can't go wrong with the S.

Here are my thoughts on the S2000 from a NSX owner.

1) Cost...the S2000 is significantly cheaper than the NSX to own and maintain. Some key maintenance issues have been addressed, thus ownership cost is much less.
a) No timing belt!! The S2000 has a chain which should be good for the life of the engine.
b) Advanced ABS. The ABS unit is similar to the newer NSX's so you don't have that solenoid issue some of the early NSX suffer from. No secondary resivoir to deal with either.
c) Clutch is far cheaper in parts and labor.
d) Parts in general are cheaper.
2) Mods...haven't done any on either of my cars, but I believe that there are more for the S.
3) Handling...The earlier S2000 (pre-2004) had a more edgy handling behaviour while those manufactured after 2004 are more subdued. I'll add a few comments here.
a) In 2006, Honda went to a drive by wire system that included stability control and a different ECU. I believe the later allows for some different engine mods as well.
b) You may also notice that in 2004, all S2000's went to 17" rims. Not sure exactly if this improved performance or just looks.
c) Steering feel and rack were changed on the AP2 except for the CR version which got the older AP1 steering rack (hence its different feel).
4)Noisy...compared to the NSX, the S2000 is awefully noisy (mostly due to its soft top). The AP2's have less drone compared to the AP1's and are more liveable.
5)Weak stereo...Now I know you are looking for a track car, but wasn't sure if you were going to drive this vehicle to the track or not. Just thought I would mention it.

Now for some S2000 nuances, that you may or may not know.
1) The rear glass window was added in 2003 (I believe). I prefer this cause it doesn't fog up with age.
2) The AP2's (2004 & older), have different synchro's that from what some have said make the tranny shift smoother. My boss who had a 2001 S2000 thought mine was quite a bit smoother than his. I believe this maybe a personal perception.
3) The AP2's have a clutch delay valve that does result in greater wear on the clutch versus the rear differential. Some people hate this and modify their unit to remove it. Results vary.
4) In 2006, when they switched to the drive-by-wire, there was a software update to address an issue with the feel of the drive-by-wire. If you find a 2006 and it doesn't feel "right", it may just be a software update fix.

Overall, the S2000 has a low cost of ownership and a big fun factor. I don't believe you can go wrong with acquiring a S2000. Personally, I would get an AP2 if you plan on having it do daily driving duties; however, if you are going to relegate the car to exclusive track duties the AP1's might be a better choice for you.

I had an AP1 2003 GPW

Things I loved...
1. 6 spd transmission. Best i've ever experienced. I miss it dearly.
2. 9k redline
3. tossability

Things I hated...
1. cramped cabin - I wish the car was 2-3" wider overall
2. noisy at any speed
3. unrefined

For a track car... these last three items can probably be ignored.

If you do buy an early ap1 check to make sure all tsb's were performed.

Found a local, early AP1. Great condition, rear vinyl window is toast. Never seen winter, low milege. Owner says not too many people shopping for sports cars right now so I took it as a sign to lowball. Lets see how it goes ;)

Last edited:
Found a local, early AP1. Great condition, rear vinyl window is toast. Never seen winter, low milege. Owner says not too many people shopping for sports cars right now so I took it as a sign to lowball. Lets see how it goes ;)

I hope you get it. The S2000 is a fun car to drive.

=] looking for one too . great prices on these cars.

I love my S2000. I love it a little more than my NSX. And here're my 3 S2000....

Attachments

• My_S2K27.jpg
    My_S2K27.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 117
  • dsc0543zz.jpg
    dsc0543zz.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
The white one is the winner!

I'm looking hard for a white with red interior. I can't understand why they're so rare! :mad:

I'm looking hard for a white with red interior. I can't understand why they're so rare! :mad:

Join the club. Everyone wants one, no one lets them go, and they didn't make that many because it's the national colors of Japan, like the rarity of GPW NSXs.

Back