• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2k rack on NA1

I've read through your thread with great interext as I believe the steering on the NA1 is it's weakest point compared to more modern cars.
Given that Porsche cars are highly rated in terms of steering feel, I was wondering if you had contemplated using a steering rack say from a Boxster?
It's also positionned in front of the front axle but it's easy to find racks from the UK and turn them around.
The first models were 100% hydraulic but later models became electrically assisted.
What do you think about the idea?

I'm sure it can be done but it would not be easy. I know that German cars are over engineered. I been modifying VW/Audi for years and there is nothing simple with their electronics. The BCM would have to be adopted to read steering angle sensors, several modules to convert signals to canbus etc.. it's long list of things that would have to be modified and that is even before working on modified crossmember. I been looking in to another option with 2009 Acura TSX with 13.40 steering ratio, but it's a canbus so it's on backburner until some speed converters become available.

I understand the Can Bus issue...
Are they any electronics involved in the hydraulic version of their rack?
Another question: is there a fundamental design difference between an electrically driven Porsche rack and the S2K or is it just attention to detail?
I hope I'm not bothering you with these questions!

I understand the Can Bus issue...
Are they any electronics involved in the hydraulic version of their rack?
Another question: is there a fundamental design difference between an electrically driven Porsche rack and the S2K or is it just attention to detail?
I hope I'm not bothering you with these questions!

The biggest obstacle with hydraulic power steering is installing hydraulic pump first on the engine then running hydraulic cables from back to front. That alone made me not even try to research the possibilities. There is always work around to every problem and electric hydraulic pump can be mounted in front but it all adds to complexity and potential failure. The simpler the better.

Maybe someone on the forum can share their experience between Porsche steering and S2k, I don't have enough insight since I don't own a Porsche.

The Miata community has a handful of EPS options. Look there as well [MENTION=19738]CB72[/MENTION]. They even have column mounted. MR2 Spyder might also work.

IMO I'm perfectly happy with the S2K and glad [MENTION=6927]nsxmugen[/MENTION] developed it.

The Miata community has a handful of EPS options. Look there as well [MENTION=19738]CB72[/MENTION]. They even have column mounted. MR2 Spyder might also work.

IMO I'm perfectly happy with the S2K and glad [MENTION=6927]nsxmugen[/MENTION] developed it.

I've sent a PM to [MENTION=6927]nsxmugen[/MENTION] to get a quote!

Hi, yes I make a conversion kit. It's almost plug and play and fully reversible. If anyone is interested please PM me for details. I spend a lot of try and error on this and wound up created my own jig to calibrate the torsion bar to get it right.

Thanks,
David

Hey, Can you send me some details on the kit? price etc?
Just stumbled on this video... looks sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpDs-0Ef4s

Back