• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Safety changes on NSX?

As far as I can see in the FAQ, the NSX was made more stiff because of the targa top. However, were there any changes made to the coupe over the years to make it more safe?

In '93 they added a passenger-side airbag, so that made it safer.

The changes made to the NSX-T (such as the thicker frame rails) were done to reduce flex, not to make it more safe. I am not sure whether those same changes carried over to the coupe, but I suspect that they did. If so, a '96+ coupe ought to be more rigid than a '91-94 coupe. (Not necessarily safer though.)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 December 2001).]

Yes.

They added 20 hp to the coupe in 1997. This made the car faster and better able to avoid dangerous situations in traffic.
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

All new coupes produced since the NSX-T was introduced have the same structural reinforcements of the -T. So a late model coupe is stiffer than an original coupe. The safety benefits are probably marginal on a coupe.

The stereo system has designed-in anti-theft. No one in their right mind would ever want to steal it.

Oops forgot the
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 10 December 2001).]

Originally posted by Lud:
All new coupes produced since the NSX-T was introduced have the same structural reinforcements of the -T. So a late model coupe is stiffer than an original coupe. The safety benefits are probably marginal on a coupe.
Is this why the newer coupes do not really need a rear strut brace?

Over-stiffening one area could result in stresses being redistributed differently. Or, if you like, you've now shifted around the weakest link. Probably not a big deal if we're talking marginal increments

They also added retracting seatbelts that year (a small explosive charge rewinds the belts when the airbags go off.)

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
In '93 they added a passenger-side airbag, so that made it safer.
B]

Back