• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed cracks 100 hp increase through natural aspiration modification

Do you have video clips of the car with ITBs? I would imagine it's very loud even with the airbox...but I could be wrong

Stage 3 is inclusive of stage 1 & 2, so the price for stage 3 includes the parts of stage 1 & 2.

You hear quite a bit more growl with out the air box. We're looking at the design of the airbox, and how to make this work best for performance and sound.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

cheers,
-- Chris

Chris@SoS said:
Stage 3 is inclusive of stage 1 & 2, so the price for stage 3 includes the parts of stage 1 & 2.

You hear quite a bit more growl with out the air box. We're looking at the design of the airbox, and how to make this work best for performance and sound.

cheers,
-- Chris

Chris, has SOS almost finished the airbox and ITB R&D? Will they both be an integral part of stage 3 NA tune for around the same price?

NetViper said:
....[stage2-NA] $2,995.00
ScienceofSpeed Stage 3 NA Tune

I looked, but did not see it. What kind of power does the Stage 2 kit put down?

chris, regarding the internal engine mods for CARB, how would they even know you have internal engine mods? All they do is an external visual, which I think could be a problem from the ITB standpoint (maybe i'm mistaken), but for i doubt the internal stuff would be a problem, as long as the emissions are good..

Chris@SoS said:
We recently completed the installation and tuning of our production individual throttle body system which is a new part of our natural aspiration tune package.

We've been working at this project for about a year to develop an individual throttle body package which offers both performance and durability with an innovative linkage system that allows easy adjustability and consistent operation.

Before the individual throttle body system was complete, we utilized the factory throttle body and intake manifold with slight modifications. Upon tuning of the new stage 3 package which includes a 3.3L bottom end and completely reworked heads, logged data from the ECU was showing a restriction above engine speeds of 6000 RPM of up to 15% vacuum pressure. As the heads and bottom end allowed increased speed and volume of the delivered air/fuel mixture, the factory throttle body and intake manifold became more and more restrictive.

Before the throttles were installed, the car dynoed at a max power rating of 311 rear wheel horsepower on a Mustang Eddy-current type dynamometer (a factory 3.0L NSX typically dynos in the 220 hp range on such a dyno).

Upon the completion of the new throttle body system, Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA offered their AEM EMS tuning experience and Dyno Dynamics Eddy-current type dyno to assist us with tuning the drivability and smoothness of the new system. Autowave's experience of tuning stand-alone engine management systems for "drivability" not just "maximum power" is important for a street car and especially the individual throttle body system which results in much more dynamic airflow. Autowave's advanced Dyno Dynamics dyno allows the tuner to isolate each cell of the fuel and ignition maps to tune a car to factory-like operation. Michael at Autowave did a fantastic job, and really improved upon what had accomplished so far with the car. Autowave's combination of understanding of theory, experience, and equipment makes them a must-see for tuning of stand-alone engine managements systems such as the AEM unit.

The car dynoed at 336 rear wheel horsepower (approximately 380+ crank horsepower with conservative driveline loss estimates) and 255 lb/ft torque. In comparison, a factory 3.0L NSX typically dynos around 225 on a DynoComp dyno. This has allowed us to achieve our goal to exceed a 100 wheel horsepower gain with out the use of forced induction with relatively mildly designed engine. While high output race engines have been built, our primary focus and the build of this engine was for a street application that stresses durability, drivability, as well as performance. The engine uses a mild compression (11.0:1) and smooth idling cam profile.

The car of course sounds fantastic and feels great generating more horsepower at 5000 RPM than a standard NSX does near redline. The car's engine character is unlike anything I've driven. It has a sharp bark with lightening fast throttle response and constant solid pull at low, mid, and high RPM that doesn't seem to want to stop.

Dyno:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/NA_tune/dyno_063004.jpg

I'd like to thank Shane and Michael at Autowave for their big help as well as Jon Martin at Acura of Southbay for his continued consulting with the development of our new engine products.

As we work on completing the induction box for the throttle bodies, we'll continually update our website with information, pricing, and dyno prints.

The relevant mods are as listed:

ScienceofSpeed 1992 Acura NSX

powerplant:
ScienceofSpeed Stage 3 Natural Aspiration Tune
3.3L sleeved bottom end
11.0:1 forged pistons, lightweight wristpins (20 gram reduction per rotating mass)
polished crank & balanced/blueprinted rotating mass
tuned cylinder heads with bore matched bowls
upsized valves
ScienceofSpeed Stage 2 Camshafts
ScienceofSpeed Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
ScienceofSpeed Valve Springs
AEM Engine Management System

induction & exhaust:
ScienceofSpeed Individual Throttle System
TAITEC GT Header System
TAITEC Test Pipes
TAITEC JGTC Exhaust

best regards,
-- Chris
did this setup meet all california emission and visual rules?

Did SOS ever get a video for this setup? would love to hear how it sounds....

Just found this topic and was looking for a good alternative to the ludicrously expensive Toda ITB's, how much will this cost with the stage 3 kit?
I saw an article on a SOS car in Superstreet - the white NSX with the reddish stripes down the side - is that the ITB system that will be utilized? What material will the airbox be made of?

Last edited:
Chris@SoS said:
The individual throttles have an airbox with an enclosed filter. We are testing designs to maximize the benefit of the velocity stack.

As for torque, powerband can be adjusted by using different length throttle bells. We are currently using 120mm bells. As you can see on the dyno, the torque generated comes on fairly early in the powerband which gives excellent mid range useable power.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Sounds great!

My question is with the ITB, will it consist of a lot of tunning or once they are tunned you can basically leave it alone?

Thanks

saint2709 said:
So Chris any updates photos, sound clips, prices? Will there be any updates?
Im realy intrested in NA power over FI also winter is around the corner here in canada.

I second that. I'm more towards NA rather than FI. I'd be very interested in this.

Stage 3 is basically the same cost as a CT SC....and from what I've seen, you only get around 80-90hp on an SC in stock tune. So, this is actually a great alternative. What sort of labor is involved??

DrVolkl said:
Stage 3 is basically the same cost as a CT SC....and from what I've seen, you only get around 80-90hp on an SC in stock tune. So, this is actually a great alternative. What sort of labor is involved??

I had heard the labor nearly doubles the cost of the NA route.

I came across this... any updates on the ITB's?

18k.jpg

I have a couple questions about this setup.

1st question;

On your webpage about NA Power Packages, it says that Stage 4 is $9,245 and that includes the previous package. So for that price you would get

• High Flow Exhaust System (TAITEC GT Lightweight or ARK DT-S)
  • Cantrell Air Induction System
  • UNI Dual Stage Filter
  • ScienceofSpeed Header System
  • ScienceofSpeed Big-Bore Throttle Body
  • ScienceofSpeed SuperTune ECU (1991-94 only)
  • ScienceofSpeed Type-B Performance Camshafts
  • ScienceofSpeed Valve Springs
  • ScienceofSpeed Titanium Retainers
  • ScienceofSpeed 3.3L displacement (large 95mm bore) engine

Now if I wanted to get the Inidividual Throttle Body setup I would need the ITB assembly which is $4,450. As well as the AEM EMS and probably like 320 or 370cc injectors. If buying those all together would there be the possiblity of another discount, especially since I would not need like the Throttle Body, Intake, or ECU from the power package.

Next question, with slight headwork, bigger cams and ITB's I'm pretty suprised to see the torque start falling off at ~6800 RPM's, which is about where a normal bolt-on NSX starts to loose steam. You mentioned that the ram horns can be tuned to change the torque curve. Could that account for a large part of that? Would this setup be able to maintain torque out to something like 8000-8500 RPM? Then you would be looking at more like 370-380HP. I know the rotating assembly weight reduction probably makes high RPM's safer with this setup, but is 95mm bore still OK for good flame propogation at 8500-9000 RPM? I know Honda has several 4 cylinders that are capable of 9K-10K RPM's, but they only use 81-86mm bores.

Lastly, your Stage 4 says that it includes dissasemblying the motor and replacing the bearings and seals, which I think it a good selling point for going this route. However if the customer buys other internal parts at the same time, like the camshafts that comes with the "package" as well as like oil pump and stuff that will that be reinstalled for free when the engine is put back together?

Oh and if I (or anyone) was to buy a similar package to this setup would you guys be able to supply the AEM map that went with this setup just to get it going?

I like this setup, because even though I know how much of a rush turbo power can be and that its alot "easier" to get, I think the spirit of this car just screams for something like this. Plus it would be fun to have two cars with the same power doing it completely different ways :cool:

I have a couple questions about this setup.

1st question;

On your webpage about NA Power Packages, it says that Stage 4 is $9,245 and that includes the previous package. So for that price you would get

• High Flow Exhaust System (TAITEC GT Lightweight or ARK DT-S)
  • Cantrell Air Induction System
  • UNI Dual Stage Filter
  • ScienceofSpeed Header System
  • ScienceofSpeed Big-Bore Throttle Body
  • ScienceofSpeed SuperTune ECU (1991-94 only)
  • ScienceofSpeed Type-B Performance Camshafts
  • ScienceofSpeed Valve Springs
  • ScienceofSpeed Titanium Retainers
  • ScienceofSpeed 3.3L displacement (large 95mm bore) engine

Now if I wanted to get the Inidividual Throttle Body setup I would need the ITB assembly which is $4,450. As well as the AEM EMS and probably like 320 or 370cc injectors. If buying those all together would there be the possiblity of another discount, especially since I would not need like the Throttle Body, Intake, or ECU from the power package.

Next question, with slight headwork, bigger cams and ITB's I'm pretty suprised to see the torque start falling off at ~6800 RPM's, which is about where a normal bolt-on NSX starts to loose steam. You mentioned that the ram horns can be tuned to change the torque curve. Could that account for a large part of that? Would this setup be able to maintain torque out to something like 8000-8500 RPM? Then you would be looking at more like 370-380HP. I know the rotating assembly weight reduction probably makes high RPM's safer with this setup, but is 95mm bore still OK for good flame propogation at 8500-9000 RPM? I know Honda has several 4 cylinders that are capable of 9K-10K RPM's, but they only use 81-86mm bores.

Lastly, your Stage 4 says that it includes dissasemblying the motor and replacing the bearings and seals, which I think it a good selling point for going this route. However if the customer buys other internal parts at the same time, like the camshafts that comes with the "package" as well as like oil pump and stuff that will that be reinstalled for free when the engine is put back together?

Oh and if I (or anyone) was to buy a similar package to this setup would you guys be able to supply the AEM map that went with this setup just to get it going?

I like this setup, because even though I know how much of a rush turbo power can be and that its alot "easier" to get, I think the spirit of this car just screams for something like this. Plus it would be fun to have two cars with the same power doing it completely different ways :cool:

Answers to your question:

- please note that the stage packages pricing includes only the parts in that particular stage. If you view the "3.3L build" under custom engine services, you will see that this stage is the same price as the 3.3L build.

- the torque curve follows the limitations of the factory intake manifold. The ITB's will further assist this. At this RPM, you also start to hit losses such as frictional loss from the increased RPM. However, if you look over at the horsepower graph, you will see that horsepower continues to climb (as horsepower is a calculation of engine speed and torque). The limit at which these losses cause the engine to lose efficiency appears to be around 8000-8200 RPM.

- We usually replace the oil pump gear, however, anything you wish to add during the build that is removed / replaced can certainly be done at no cost.

- if you buy the AEM EMS from us, we supply a base configuration for that specific engine, however, as with any application, it still requires fine tuning.

regards,
-- Chris

Oh ya one more thing, how do you get vacuum for the brakes and stuff with the ITB's? Do they still generate enough on their own?

The vacuum source from each cylinder is brought into a collector manifold which supplies vacuum to the brake booster, MAP sensor, FPR, etc. This manifold also supplies an electric solenoid valve controlled by the EMS which aids cold idle.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Back