• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shocks and Springs for all original 1991

Hey guys:
Am at the dealership this morning. Need to replace my original springs/shock arrangement on all four corners as they have NEVER been replaced. Of course, very expensive from the dealer. Is there another source where I can order the ORIGINAL replacements online? Don't race the car. 1991 Automatic
Thanks in advance.

Are you wanting to stay with OEM suspension or aftermarket?

If you're looking for OEM it's going to be pricey as they actually don't sell the 1991 factory suspension assembled here in the US anymore, and actually IIRC certain parts of the 1991 OEM suspension may be NLA in the US supply chain. It looks like you may still be able to buy it fully assembled from Japan ($347 ea for all 4 corners, but then shipping). There is also a chance this is a mistake and it's still listed even though it's NLA.

Best bet is reach out to either [MENTION=33290]SpeedyPartsJapan[/MENTION] or [MENTION=9710]austrian type-R[/MENTION] and see if they can get a full 1991 OEM suspension for you. Otherwise you may need to buy it piece by piece if the parts are still available. If you want to go the aftermarket route there are tons of options.

Wanting to stay all original if possible. Like you say, if they're not available, does anyone have a suggestion (a favorite someone has used) as to which brand I could use as a substitute that is non-performance?

Wanting to stay all original if possible. Like you say, if they're not available, does anyone have a suggestion (a favorite someone has used) as to which brand I could use as a substitute that is non-performance?

I went with the 02+ Type-S OEM suspension set up. I know some guys that want to stay OEM go with the 97-99 Type-S/Zanardi set up but again it has to be pieced together it is no longer sold as an assembled unit.

For aftermarket I know a lot of guys run the KW V3 coilovers and IIRC the BC Racing Coilovers with the Swift Spring upgrade was popular a few years back (I don't know if it still is).

Correction

Sorry, I didn't answer your question correctly. You are correct, the OEM part is no longer available in the U.S. The dealership is using their approved replacement part for the price quote. No particular brand specified on their sheet just a replacement parts #and generic picture.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question correctly. You are correct, the OEM part is no longer available in the U.S. The dealership is using their approved replacement part for the price quote. No particular brand specified on their sheet just a replacement parts #and generic picture.

What are the part numbers for the replacements?

If you like the stock setup Bilstein shocks and factory springs are an affordable and effective setup, and they give you the option to lower the car about an inch.

+1 This is my #1 recommendation for folks who want the OEM feel but can't/don't want to use new OEM parts due to availability. The Bils are a bit firmer than the OEM Showas, but they are quite comfortable and have a great warranty. Also good on the circuit.

You said "need" - what is the actual need?
What did dealer say?
Do you have 4 leaking shocks?
How many miles on the car?
Because the dealer said you needed new ones would make me question why.
You could try to source a used set.
These seem to come up frequently here - or on Ebay.
If you want to preserve stock condition I would consider this
I'm not sure if the autos have different shocks ...
Many folks sell off their stock shocks after buying something else.
I bought a "spare" used set because my car came with aftermarket that I didn't like.
Good luck

Last edited:
More Information

There is one shock with a slight leak, the other three are fine. Going back in the paperwork, the original shocks have never been replaced. Mileage on the car is 90K (1991) and there is little "return" remaining when you press down on front or rear ends. With two people in the car, I scrape the front air dam almost every time, even being careful. I'm having the drive belt replaced, and the car IS 30 years old, and I plan on keeping it. The springs at each corner "look" okay, but why not do the springs while you're doing the shocks? I think I've got my money's worth out of the original set. Do not want to make the ride any firmer than it is.
Frank

I line up a bit with Albert86 on the whole need question. My first observation is that the tired spring thing is a bit over sold. I am not saying that all springs don't sag. However, if the springs are made from good quality steel and the design is such that they operate well within the elastic limits of the steel then sag is not going to be an issue. If spring sag and ageing was an inherent problem with springs, then we should all be changing out our valve springs every time we do a TB change.

If you still think that sag might be a problem I would normally suggest checking the free length of the springs. Unfortunately, the service manual does not appear to provide a free length for the springs (that I could find). However, it does provide a ground clearance of 135 mm. The diagram is not absolutely clear; but, it kind of looks like the ground clearance is measured to the mid jack point or the lowest 'thing' in that area. If the clearance on an unloaded car is in that range, spring sag is probably not an issue. You mention that front air dam dragging is an issue. Keep in mind that the NSX payload is only about 450 lbs. If the two occupants happen to be 'line backer' sized, you are likely at or exceeding the payload limits and will be dragging stuff regularly. If you have a payload issue, then a switch to stiffer springs on a higher perch might be an appropriate decision.

Shocks are a wear item; but, probably not as much as people think for modern shocks (minus the tricky magnetic shocks). In fact the aforementioned Bilstein offers (or used to offer) a life time warranty on their yellow body shocks. If the assessment of the shock condition was based upon a push down test on the corner of the car, run from whoever did that test because it is not a reliable indication of shock condition. The NSX OEM shocks are gas charged. If the seals have failed to the point that the gas charge is lost or significantly reduced then replacement is absolutely in order. if the gas charge is intact, I would be less inclined to consider replacement. With high quality shocks and a normally driven car, I wouldn't feel too bad about just replacing a single leaking shock or the shock plus its mate on the same end of the car. If this was a semi serious track car we would not be having this discussion.

You can find the part numbers for your parts from one of the on-line parts vendors such as
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/
If they indicate the parts are discontinued, check out amayama
https://www.amayama.com/en
or spedypartsjapan. I have used both and they can source parts that show up as unavailable in North America. In fact, for me amayama can deliver the parts to my doorstep at a lower cost than any other vendor.

I have used the Bilstein yellow body (HD) shocks on a couple of other cars. Be aware that they seem to come with a fair amount of compression damping which provides for greater transmission of road irregularities to the car. Some people like that sense of increased firmness. I don't. If I want increased firmness I prefer an increased spring rate, not more compression damping. However, that is just me.

If you want to refresh the car, then I might be more inclined to look at the rubber components in the suspension which are subject to ageing. Also, I would only be considering this expenditure if you have already done the other age related things like coolant hoses and the like. Now, if you want to do this just because you want to do it, then go for it.

Hey guys:
Am at the dealership this morning. Need to replace my original springs/shock arrangement on all four corners as they have NEVER been replaced. Of course, very expensive from the dealer. Is there another source where I can order the ORIGINAL replacements online? Don't race the car. 1991 Automatic
Thanks in advance.

Try https://www.mitamotorsports.com/1st-gen Marc is great and you'll get new OEM parts. Have another shop install them.

I had Bilstein before and I thought they were pretty well dampen for the nsx, but that was I was only 22 so my opinion might change now. Does anyone have experience with both the zanardi/type-s and the bilstein? If so, how do they compare in characteristics?

I had Bilstein before and I thought they were pretty well dampen for the nsx, but that was I was only 22 so my opinion might change now. Does anyone have experience with both the zanardi/type-s and the bilstein? If so, how do they compare in characteristics?

Type-S springs will eventually blow out the front shocks if you use the Bilstein. You therefore have to get them re-valved due to the higher spring rate. I think [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] blew up a set of Koni yellows this way lol.

If I was to keep the stock suspension (verses coil overs) I would consider a combination of Swift Sport springs and 1997 dampers. The 1997 dampers have higher rebound and compression rates than your OEM 1991 dampers, but lower rates than the Bilsteins (hence better ride than the Bilsteins). The Swift springs are progressive and slight stiffer than OEM and should match up nicely with the slightly higher rate 1997 dampers.

The Swift springs will also lower your car slightly giving it a better appearance.

Spring and shocks rates can be found here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Suspension

Last edited:
Solution to my Shock Problem

Thanks everyone for the great discussion. I decided to go with the B6 Bilsteins on all four corners because the car IS 30 years old and I have a reliable NSX Tech where I live right now. Only one shock is leaking, but I got my money's worth out of the original shocks, so I don't mind the expense: $590 free shipping at Rock Auto for the four. I will follow your suggestion and not change the springs. You guys are the best.

Frank

let us know how you like the setup....

Thanks everyone for the great discussion. I decided to go with the B6 Bilsteins on all four corners because the car IS 30 years old and I have a reliable NSX Tech where I live right now. Only one shock is leaking, but I got my money's worth out of the original shocks, so I don't mind the expense: $590 free shipping at Rock Auto for the four. I will follow your suggestion and not change the springs. You guys are the best.

Frank

Everything on hold for the moment, but I will let you know when they are installed.

Hi Frank: I can't stand the suspense! How did the B6 Bilstein shocks work out?

Dave

Still on hold. I am knee deep in the restoration of a '62 MB 190SL and my NSX refuses to start in my storage unit. Looking through the NSX manuals tonight to find what the problem could be. I will post here as soon as I have the work done. Thanks for your interest.
Frank

Still on hold. I am knee deep in the restoration of a '62 MB 190SL and my NSX refuses to start in my storage unit. Looking through the NSX manuals tonight to find what the problem could be. I will post here as soon as I have the work done. Thanks for your interest.
Frank

Thank you for the update, Frank. I'll stay tuned.

Best of luck with the starting issue, and the '62 MB 190SL.

Dave

if you are in no rush in searching for OEM suspension. I am going to be going to coilovers within the next few months and dont need my 1992 oem suspension with 33k miles on it and wouldnt mind selling it to you!

You can order a Bilstein B6 Series Driver or Passenger Side Heavy Duty Monotube Shock Absorbers for your 1991 NSX on 4wheelonline.

Back