• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I buy an NSX or Viper?

Why do people with no actual knowledge of the car chime in? That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read. The Viper has many faults but the drive train is not one of them. The stock clutch can hold over 900wheel. I can not think of car for comparable money with a better clutch. Where do these idiotic rumors come from?

I know I know!

It is because the comment came from someone who has never owned a nsx or a viper.

All I have to say to the guy that started this idiotic thread is that he's been very absent in commenting. He stirred things up and all his comments have been short with very little substance.

He hasn't said what his intentions are and he could easily drive a viper and he's had the chance to drive an NSX too. He hasn't got a "hair" if he doesn't post to this stupid thread with the results of his own test drives.

I just hope he's got the decency to post. This has been the most tedious and tiresome thread I can remember during my short time here which isn't even a year yet. So I guess I'm just ranting but it's no wonder why some of these guys with this type of post get the "ASS" from this group! I hope the dude reads this and understands what I'm talking about.

Rant over and out,

All I have to say to the guy that started this idiotic thread is that he's been very absent in commenting. He stirred things up and all his comments have been short with very little substance.

He hasn't said what his intentions are and he could easily drive a viper and he's had the chance to drive an NSX too. He hasn't got a "hair" if he doesn't post to this stupid thread with the results of his own test drives.

I just hope he's got the decency to post. This has been the most tedious and tiresome thread I can remember during my short time here which isn't even a year yet. So I guess I'm just ranting but it's no wonder why some of these guys with this type of post get the "ASS" from this group! I hope the dude reads this and understands what I'm talking about.

Rant over and out,

When he gets out of jail you are so f***ed. :biggrin:

When he gets out of jail you are so f***ed. :biggrin:

U oh,.....bwahaahhahahahaa....your killing me Curt. Say are any of you guys going to NSXPO? OSU grad and Curt - is you or ain't you....:wink:

Oh boy here I go hi jacking again - sorry; I was just writing CaptGary bout that. :biggrin:

Obviously,but trolls love the mayhem of a 6 page thread based on the seed they planted:wink: So you may hate the player,but we love to play the game:rolleyes: I can imagine guys with less than 10 posts sitting back and playing pocket pool at every new post extoling the virtues of the nsx and talk of sweet suckulent apples and oranges..........:tongue:

Thank you all for all your posts and replies. The other day, I was able to test drive three cars in the Chicago area at Exotic Motors. I was impressed with the collection of cars that I found there. The three cars that I test drove and in this order were; 2003 Dodge Viper with 23k miles, 2005 Acura NSX (automatic) with 20K miles, and a 2006 Corvette Z06 with 16k miles.
I test drove these cars back to back to back, all in a span of three hours.
2003 Dodge Viper – My first impression of the car was that it intimated the hell out of me. The fit and finish were ok, but you could tell that the money was spent on the drive train, not the dash area. They started the engine, and that deep throaty grumble filled the warehouse. I sat in the Viper and the drive position nice but the shift knob was higher than I expected. You almost have to be at a 90 degree angle with your shoulder to shift. I slowly pulled out of the driveway and I touched the throttle with my toe and the car took off. I mean, I barely touched it and the car instantly accelerated. The Viper was loud, raw, and you could tell it was going to kill you. You felt like you were sitting on top of the massive engine and when given a little tap, the car instantly responded. I almost felt like the viper was laughing at me. I noticed that the engine always felt like it was straining but was only at 2500 rpm. Straining, I know the engine was not however, cause when I asked the car to move, it moved. It didn’t take long for a cop driving in the opposite direction to turn around and sneak up right behind me. He must have heard my accelerate a couple of blocks away. As soon as I saw him, I smoked the tires and took off…just kidding. I slowly limped back to the dealership as to not attract any more attention. The bacon followed me all the way back. I got out of the car with a huge grin on my face.
2005 Acura NSX – This car was the cleanest 6 year old car I have ever seen with 20k miles on it. I counted 3 rock chips, and a couple scratches, everything else was perfect. I was very surprised to see that this car was an automatic. The styling, seeing it up close and in person…I was impressed. To be 20 years old and have the styling still turn heads is really an amazing feat. The fit and finish was awesome, although I was perplexed at the cassette player, I mean we passed cassettes for CDs and now MP3’s about 8 years ago right? The funny thing was, as soon as I sat in the car, I felt like I was inside my friend’s Honda Accord. The car did not intimidate at all. In fact, the car felt very comfortable and inviting. The exhaust note was as special as my friend’s Acura Legend, nothing impressive. The driving position and feel was awesome. You feel like you’re sitting inside an F-16 Falcon. The targa top was down and we took off. I pulled out the drive way and punched the gas. The engine lagged and then raced quickly up the rpm ladder, but the car didn’t respond for half a second. When the NSX finally took off, the car felt solid and in control. I quickly came up to a changing light, and depressed the brakes. I was impressed with the solid braking. This thing stopped on a dime. You could tell the car was light and agile. Up until this point, I didn’t see anything special about this car. I decided to take a sharp turn at 70 mph, and I found out what it is that NSX owners probably like most about their car. I could have taken that turn at 140 mph, and probably have been able to stick it just the same. You could tell there was something different about the way it turned. The Polaris of the car is behind you and you feel like you can take any turn at any speed. There was very little lean or any plowing when I took turns. This felt like no other car I’ve ever driven. The ride was over, and I was impressed with the handling but left feeling wanting with the power. Could the automatic really make this much a difference? Will the manual make that much more power?
2006 Corvette Z06 – I was not even thinking of taking this thing out, since I wanted to only drive the Viper and NSX, but I thought, what the hell, I’m here. The Z06 looks like…well, a Corvette. I don’t like Corvettes, nor do I like Government Motors. The engine sounded deep and muscular, the fit and finish was really nice too. Not as nice as the NSX, but much better than the Viper. The Vette had a navigation system, and a heads up display. The Z06 was not as intimidating as the Viper, but had just as much power. It was not as inviting as the NSX though either. It was in the middle. The Z06 pulled out and I gave it a healthy push on the throttle. The car took off. Just as responsive as the Viper, but without the feeling like it was begging me to go faster. The power was intense but very controllable. The steering was crisp and brakes responsive. The power of the Viper and almost the handling of the NSX. So, in conclusion, I need to test drive another NSX with a manual, or I’m going to buy a Z06.

Find a Manual PLEASE!!! I test drove an automatic NSX and then test drove the maual, night and day difference. yeah it doesnt have a V10 or beefy V8 but like you said the driving experience is like no other.

Ive owned two automatic NSX's (98 and an 03), driven plenty of manuals, and currently own a Comptech supercharged and lightened manual (99).

The difference is MASSIVE between the auto and a 3.2L manual and its actually massive again between a NA 3.2L and a SC 3.2L thats been well modded.

I owned a heavily modded Vette in 2000 and before coming back to the NSX last year (having flirted for a while with a 911 :) ) came VERY Close to buying a 99 ACR Viper and then a 2003 SRT 10.

What I realized after driving the Viper is that I simply could never own one. Same reason I would never own another Corvette. I LOVE both cars. I LOVE that my friends own them. I completely respect the value they present for the money and would neve disparage either one. It would be ridiculous. They are enormous bang for the buck and are solid. Best things Detroit has ever produced in mass quantity, to be honest.

That said, driving them... They just feel gigantic to me. The Viper much worse than the Vette. The hood just feels endless and I never feel as if Im driving a true sports car.

I also drove a 98 Lotus Esrit before I got the 99 NSX and that had a different, but similar problem. The driving position is just bizarre. It was like laying down and the visibility was really limited in certain in certain areas.

So the conclusion I ultimately came to was that the only sports cars I really enjoy driving are the NSX, the 911, and a few of the Ferraris I've been lucky enough to (carefully) test drive. Since I can't afford a Ferrari and was coming off the 911, I came back to the NSX. Im sure another 911 or a Cayman is in my far off future, but I just cant do a gigantic engine, front engine, sports car again.

Its an entirely subjective thing, so its good you drove them. It sounds like you enjoyed the driving experience of the Viper and the Vette well enough to own them. Personally, I actually didnt find the SRT so brutally fast like you're describing at all. I think you have some emotion there. My feeling is that you really should get the Viper. Once you've seen your 400,000th Corvette, I suspect you may get bored. You have to *truly* love Corvette for REAL to stay happy. I thought I really loved Corvette as a brand, but I still got bored with the C5.

But certainly try to drive a 3.2L NSX because there IS a huge difference.

MLAMBERT890...thanks for the response. The emotion for the Viper comes from a childhood dream of mine. I was in 6th grade when the Viper came out and you know how impressionable a 12 year old can be. I agree with you on the Viper and the Vette feel HUGE, heavy, Bulky and Powerful. I kind of felt disgusted with my search for my weekend car, because it seemed like none of them really lived up to my expectation. I don't like the lack of American quality, the outrageous German maintenance, and I was hoping that the NSX fixed both of those issues. I really wanted to love the NSX, the underdog, the quick and nimble...because that's what I am. I want the American muscle, the German drive, and the Japanese quality. Is that too much to ask?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
To be honest, I was so disappointed with the NSX's lack of power that the acceleration experience really felt like that of a Honda Accord. I wanted so much more. Intellectually speaking, I want to be an NSX owner. If you really think there is that much difference between the auto and manual, I am going to drive the manual next time I can find one. I travel so much, that it's hard for me to get the time to drive them, but it also gives me the opportunity to find them in different cities. If I mod the NSX, will it satisfy my power hunger? I'm afraid to modify the engine because I fell like the 3.2L is already at the outer limit of power output. You can only strain a smaller engine so much without affecting its life expectancy, right? I’m going to try and find a manual this week and I will post again.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
For all others that keep posting stupid comments…you’re only de-valuing this forum. No one is forcing you to read this thread, so instead of wasting your time and getting so emotional, settle down and go wax your NSX.:biggrin:

The solution is a Porsche 996 Turbo, btw :)

Seriously though (actually, that was serious, but you haven't mentioned Porsche)... The auto NSX's are 3.0L, plus the auto trans sucks, plus they're heavier. The manuals (1997+) are lighter, plus 3.2L, plus 6 speed.

0-60 the autos are 5.7. So of course a LOT quicker than an accord, but not going to "feel" very fast. About the same as todays little sports toys though (350Z, RX8, unmodded normal WRX, etc).

0-60 on the manual 97+ cars is not unrealistic at sub 5.0. Pretty much the same as a C5 Corvette. Now anyone who feels a C5 Corvette doesn't "feel" fast, needs to buy a Viper :D (or a 911 Turbo ;) )

Modding the engine is a contraversial topic. I genuinely believe that the classic Comptech supercharger, with low boost (what's on my car) is bullet proof for the NSX. Back in the day they were sold out of the Acura dealer. My car dynos at 350+ HP at the wheels or around 400HP at the crank and has been lightened down to around 3000lbs. I've timed myself at about 4.45 0-60, but a video or two here show the CTSC cars pulling 4 flat. THAT is quick. Basically Viper territory. You can just do the power/weight comparo.

Now I don't mean to suggest you should buy a modded NSX or buy and mod one. I think thats also a really subjective thing and modding is a whole can of worms. I recommend that folks stay stock in the vast majority of cases unless they're *really* into it or really want a certain car but *must* change certain performance characteristics of it.

For all others that keep posting stupid comments…you’re only de-valuing this forum. No one is forcing you to read this thread, so instead of wasting your time and getting so emotional, settle down and go wax your NSX.:biggrin:

Unfortunately it is YOU, sir, that is de-valuing this forum.

Unfortunately it is YOU, sir, that is de-valuing this forum.

Ouch... too harsh I think. I see some folks have raised a troll flag, but I think "NSXORVIPER" is honestly looking for some info and has been pretty reasonable in general.

Actually, I think most of the thread has been pretty reasonable. THe initial "get a viper" posts weren't NSXers being sensitive or whatever Batman was slinging... those were reactions to the initial comments of wanting "king of the hill" type status.

One thing worth committing here to the archives for future searches is that the NSX is like a Cayman, or a Boxster or a 911 or a Ferrari. You buy it because you LOVE the driving experience of it. Its a passion thing. These cars are not "street kings" and don't fit into that mindset well. Typically, the crowd is narrower and more focused on the experience part of driving.

Folks outside of that very much focused on the "street cred" stuff will almost never "get it". It's just two completely different cultures that occasionally cross pollinate.

Now thats not to say that everyone who buys a Viper or a Supra or an Evolution is only interested in modding them to 1100HP so they can roll at HiN 35, or to say that there aren't a fair number of NSX owners who chase "street king status" with huge power adders, its just there is an 80/20 thing here.

For the most part, the NSX appeals to folks whose tastes have moved away from the stoplight racing mindset (or never HAD that mindset) and folks who chase the "muscle cars" do so precisely because that is what THEY enjoy. Neither side is right or wrong, its just different.

One thing worth committing here to the archives for future searches is that the NSX is like a Cayman, or a Boxster or a 911 or a Ferrari. You buy it because you LOVE the driving experience of it. Its a passion thing. These cars are not "street kings" and don't fit into that mindset well. Typically, the crowd is narrower and more focused on the experience part of driving.

This is really what it means to be a NSX owner. If the feel and passion for the car does not sell you, it is not the right car for you. I personally find it hard to connect to an automatic so that may have played a part in your test-drive.

Yes, the 3.2 and manual will make the car feel more like a C5 in acceleration. However after driving a Viper and C6Z06 the NSX / C5 will feel slow. If this fact bothers you, the NSX might not be right for you.

I like a more subdued type car - a light tossable sports car - and it's the rapier vs the broad sword approach - you can't really put your finger on it although it would seem to me that Andretti did. There is a lot of cross over in racing. But if you like light and tossable instead of hunkular raw power with some finesse then choose the NSX - if you want massive exceleration, you don't want to mod your car to get it -then get the Vette.

You are really painting the picture of a cargo van versus an Elise in your Z06 versus NSX comparison. I am not sure if you realize it but the Z06 he test drove is within 5lbs of a NA2 NSX. The ability to toss it around depends on your skill level but a boat it is not.

You are really painting the picture of a cargo van versus an Elise in your Z06 versus NSX comparison. I am not sure if you realize it but the Z06 he test drove is within 5lbs of a NA2 NSX. The ability to toss it around depends on your skill level but a boat it is not.

Never thought of a Cargo Van as having anything like Raw power and it surely has no - read absolutely no finesse!

I think you are exagerating a bit and the basic coupe Vette is still 50lbs heavier than the NA2 - not 5. The ZR-1 is about 150lbs heavier - 3300 lbs. - weight to power is still very nice in the Vette.

I agree that perhaps I've overstated the "light" tossable element of the NSX - and the Vette is surely not a heavy piece of led like say a Bentley with a ton of power. But it's not a Vette nor a Viper - and comparitivley imo the NSX is coming up from the light side of sports cars rather than the "heavily" charged side that have big V8 power. More than anything it's a mind set really. It's the image one has of the NSX and sports cars in general. I agree it's a hard thing to put ones finger on. I don't know if I've made the argument clear or not and I'm not really sure how to do it.

The feel of a Vette is not like that of an NSX. However, maybe I should just retract my entire post. If an NSX owner doesn't relate to my post then it must be off.

Back