• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I buy an NSX or Viper?

Where are both of you getting your NSX to C5 Z06 weight deltas?

I'll pulling 93lbs delta (between both of ya).......

I am not talking about a C5 as the the OP test drove a C6 Z06. The weight difference between a NA2 and C6 Z06 is 5lbs per edmunds. That is the same weight in my book.

I think you are exagerating a bit and the basic coupe Vette is still 50lbs heavier than the NA2 - not 5. The ZR-1 is about 150lbs heavier - 3300 lbs. - weight to power is still very nice in the Vette.

The feel of a Vette is not like that of an NSX. However, maybe I should just retract my entire post. If an NSX owner doesn't relate to my post then it must be off.

I completely understand what you are saying. However, my point is that the C6 Z06 weighs the same as a NA2 so to label one as light and tossable and the other as not, is a bit off. I think what you are describing is the driving feel of the NSX which can not be matched by any car I have yet driven.

With that said, what is the most current model Corvette you have driven? While I am not a "Vette Guy" they sure have come a long way from the C3 / C4.

I completely understand what you are saying. However, my point is that the C6 Z06 weighs the same as a NA2 so to label one as light and tossable and the other as not, is a bit off. I think what you are describing is the driving feel of the NSX which can not be matched by any car I have yet driven.

With that said, what is the most current model Corvette you have driven? While I am not a "Vette Guy" they sure have come a long way from the C3 / C4.

I've only riden in them - never driven one. I'd like to but then not really. I like the looks of the '04 vette and the new ZR-1. That's about it. I'm just not a big fan of V8s. Now V12s - that's a different story. So I guess you'd say I'm no officianado of Vettes. I've read a lot about them and know they handle very well - the back end tends to get a little happy on you from what I read. That doesn't surprise me.

I kind of see Vettes like I see Harleys. It's kind of like there are those that like Harleys and there are those that like the sport bikes with faring - I like the sport bikes with faring. Ducatti 1098 - BMWs biggest/fastest -Ninjas - Twist the Throttle has become a favorite show of mine on HDTV.

It's just a feel thing for me. A look thing for me too. The NSX is thin and looks like a fighter plane. The Vette looks hunkular like the Viper or Cobra. They don't appeal to me. The only one that does is the Ford GT - that is the coolest car that America has built in since the original GT40. But still if I had all the money in the world it would be the Carrera GT, I even like the new Spyder - I also would love to have an old 50s Speedster. They would be in my dream garrage - but I digress totally off on a tangent - but then you see how my mind works - it's coming in from the old light sports car side - not the american muscle side. The two sides have sort of met in the middle with the Vette and Viper but not enough for me.

I think the guy that started this thread needs the Vette - I will hold to that opinion forever. He knows it now too. He won't be happy with the power of the OEM NSX - or the torque - don't you think Aaron? He's already sold himself. If he has the cash he should buy the ZR 1 to go along with his Harley....just kidding.:biggrin: (sort of) We'll see if I'm right.:wink:

Even though there is a big difference in speed between a automatic and a na2 should be 40hp difference which is not insignificant however it will still feel slow compared to a C6 Z06 or viper.

Even though there is a big difference in speed between a automatic and a na2 should be 40hp difference which is not insignificant however it will still feel slow compared to a C6 Z06 or viper.

So are you voting for him to buy the Vette or Viper - he's already said he likes the Vette better than the Viper - so the thread should read - "NSXorVette - right. That's what I get from it. If you like the Vette you will never be happy with the torque of the NSX - where are you Batman???

But which one of those would you take if you had to drive from CA to FL?
then FL to NY, then back to FL then finally back to CA? I would take the Honda made car, it would make it. the others maybe HALF way. "junk" yea Fast, yea Expensive, but poorly built. resale value after that trip Half what you paid for it.

So are you voting for him to buy the Vette or Viper - he's already said he likes the Vette better than the Viper - so the thread should read - "NSXorVette - right. That's what I get from it. If you like the Vette you will never be happy with the torque of the NSX - where are you Batman???

See that is a tough one, I remembered driving a SRT10 viper and I thought it was too much power for the streets. It sure goes like stink but I'd rather drive a quick car fast than a crazy fast car slow. With the NSX you can still rev the engine out and stay in the revs and not have to worry about getting a ticket as much ( we still break every single speed limit in 2nd gear though ). However I am also a viper and vette fan, and I like the look of the viper more, but I like the C6 Z06 better overall.

See that is a tough one, I remembered driving a SRT10 viper and I thought it was too much power for the streets. It sure goes like stink but I'd rather drive a quick car fast than a crazy fast car slow. With the NSX you can still rev the engine out and stay in the revs and not have to worry about getting a ticket as much ( we still break every single speed limit in 2nd gear though ). However I am also a viper and vette fan, and I like the look of the viper more, but I like the C6 Z06 better overall.

I guess the bottom line for us is that we've made our choice - we have an NSX and I for one am one happy camper!

First of all Edmond is not known for its accuracy with information. Stock Z06 weigh per Car and Drive, Motor Trend, Road and Track and owners is 3160-3180 -- true weight on the scales.

Second most people who weigh their NSX get lower numbers then published.

And finally, before my supercharger install I had my 92 NSX down almost to the same weight as my 05 S2000 and my S2000 still felt much lighter and far more responsive in autocross style driving --- but in a bad way (twitchy) as speed increases.

It always amazes me how some people on this site who have an NSX or should have love for the NSX (if not you should not be here) always take other cars absolute best numbers and compare them to the NSX worst.

First of all Edmond is not known for its accuracy with information. Stock Z06 weigh per Car and Drive, Motor Trend, Road and Track and owners is 3160-3180 -- true weight on the scales.

Second most people who weigh their NSX get lower numbers then published.

And finally, before my supercharger install I had my 92 NSX down almost to the same weight as my 05 S2000 and my S2000 still felt much lighter and far more responsive in autocross style driving --- but in a bad way (twitchy) as speed increases.

It always amazes me how some people on this site who have an NSX or should have love for the NSX (if not you should not be here) always take other cars absolute best numbers and compare them to the NSX worst.

Finally someone with the guts to say what we have all been thinking. How can someone use Edmunds data when it is obvious they are completely anti-Acura. I just don't get some people. :confused:

BTW, Edmunds said the NA2 weights 3155 and the C6Z06 weighs 3160. But per the nsxprime wiki, the NA2 weights 3164. I think the wiki has some splainin to do. :tongue: Take a look at the Z06 site as they have the Z06 at 3132. Oh no, per two enthusiast sites the Z06 actually looks to be over 30lbs lighter. It makes that Edmunds data look a little more palatable now.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/1997_Specifications
http://www.z06-corvette.com/c6z06/specs/

I really do not understand why some people would rather have false information propagated versus pointing out inaccuracies. Do you think there is a significant difference in weight between the C6Z06 and a NA2?

I was a Corvette guy for a while. The numbers dont even really matter. It's subjective. Andretti pointed this out as well also.

The Vette *feels* a LOT heavier than it is. I don't care if it was LIGHTER than the NSX. It feels heavy and big and a bit unsure. Including, and maybe especially, the C6 Z06. It tracks the road a LOT. Almost as much as a Viper. By the numbers it does EVERYTHING right. By the numbers it destroys a 911 Turbo or Ferrari 430.

Now take an UNLIMITED budget. Someone elses money. Drive all three. Tell me which one you want. Hint: for 99% of the population, it will NOT be the Vette given SOMEONE elses money no matter WHAT the number say.

Thats the bottom line really... I LOVE the Vette and its a great value, but its drawbacks are in the driving experience. If you get in one, drive it, and fall in love then you are DONE. Likewise for the Viper.

I suspect most folks who fall in LOVE with the likes of the NSX or a Ferrari F355 or Boxster/Cayman in terms of driving experience will NOT fall in love with the Vette. Just TOTALLY different characters. The power/weight do NOT tell the tale here... Only in the raw perf figures which really hardly matter unless your goal, again, is stoplight to stoplight racing (which for some, it is, and thats fine - for them the choice is easy - C6 Z06 or Viper unless they have a massive budget)

I want the American muscle, the German drive, and the Japanese quality. Is that too much to ask?

And you also want NSX's look, Honda's reliability and low-cost maintenance. It's like someone who wants to marry a woman who's as powerful as Hillary Clinton, as wealthy as Oprah, and as hot as Jessica Alba and Megan Fox. Someone on some forum may tell this guy "Sarah Palin is as close as you can get to have all the elements you want.", and he would say "she's not my type." I don't think the problem is that you're asking too much, but you don't know what you really want. If you don't know what you mind tells you, nobody can help you.

You cannot marry 3 women at once, but fortunately nobody can stop you from having more than a single car. Many of us pair up our NSXs with a car that provides the different driving experience. My advice is that if you can only get one, get the dream car that's been haunting you. Get it over with, and move on, if you find out that's not what you had in mind.

The above is a GREAT point and well said...

BUT...

Couldnt it be argued that the R8 IS this mythical vehicle? Its as fast as a raped ape, easily has the exotic bit down, has the "german drive" by definition and should be pretty damn bullet proof if overall Audi quality over the past 10 years or so is any indicator.

Maybe he should just get an R8 :D

Or really the 911 Turbo... its quicker than the R8, the Z06 AND the Viper. Some argue that a 911 Turbo isnt "exotic" enough, but its a HELL Of a lot more exotic than a Z06 and, IMO, its a far better driving experience. As for quality, its no Honda, but my 911 was bullet proof and they've only gotten better (mine was a 1999).

Last edited:
Whoodathunk I'd b on this thread wondering the same thing? Nsx or viper? Would love to love to obtain another nsx, but lbbp are few and far between. I would however consider an 02-05 white, but I need a car soon. I have an oppourtunity to get a white viper coupe in the mid 70 range. Also a gtr for under 80k. Decisions decisions...

Bat

Whoodathunk I'd b on this thread wondering the same thing? Nsx or viper? Would love to love to obtain another nsx, but lbbp are few and far between. I would however consider an 02-05 white, but I need a car soon. I have an oppourtunity to get a white viper coupe in the mid 70 range. Also a gtr for under 80k. Decisions decisions...

Bat

Not anymore...........here is one for you!

Bat-

Looking at the damage on your LBBP, it appears that only the front clip needs to be replaced. Are the frame rails bent? The reason I ask is that even if you have to spend some $ out of pocket to get it repaired (by a shop that will do it right, i.e., knows how to weld aluminum, etc.), it will probably still be less than the $70k+ you are looking at for a Viper or GT-R.

That way, you get a nice, practically as-new LBBP NSX. I would send pbassjo a PM to get his opinion.

Well guys, it looks like I won't be getting an nsx to replace my 02.I may be getting myself into an 06 viper coupe and stick a paxton sc in it. I can get a killer deal on one here in San Diego and with all the mods including a custom paint job, I'm looking at about 65k otd! The 09 viper I was looking at is new for about 77k, plus there is no sc out for the 09's. So 600hp for the 09 and o can crank out well over 700 on the 06 plus the price is way under the 09 with all the mods I wanna do! Or, I get a 2010 super silver gtr. I'm friends with the gm at a local nissan dealer and can get me the car for over 10,000 below msrp!

Bat

Bat.....

yugo.jpg

And mod the hell out of it!

Bat.....

yugo.jpg

And mod the hell out of it!

^ now that was hilarious Rob!!!! And actually just a bit deserved! IMhO. :biggrin:
I don't know about ya'll but I can understand someone that hasn't had either one starting this thread but it is tough to take from one of our "own". :rolleyes: I mean an SC in a Viper - where the hell are you gonna let that thing loose - I mean really. Track events only .....? No dis ya'll....

Back